Start by marking “Influence: How and Why People Agree to Things” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Influence: How and Why...
Robert B. Cialdini

Influence: How and Why People Agree to Things

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  37,667 ratings  ·  1,206 reviews
Классика деловой литературы, мировой бестселлер и настольная книга амбициозных политиков, менеджеров, рекламодателей, маркетологов и всех желающих убеждать и добиваться своего.

Автор книги, доктор наук и профессор психологии, Роберт Б. Чалдини много лет изучал принципы успешных продаж. На основе своих исследований он написал руководство по мотивации и убеждению, которое мно
Unknown Binding, 302 pages
Published January 1st 1984 by William Morrow & Company

To ask other readers questions about Influence, please sign up.

Elizabeth Nelson I read this book for pleasure. Psychology and consumer behavior is incredibility fascinating to me. I've done really well in sales and still saw this…moreI read this book for pleasure. Psychology and consumer behavior is incredibility fascinating to me. I've done really well in sales and still saw this book as an asset! It's written in a conversational tone (on purpose I'm sure), and the examples are spot on! Ha, I LOVE the consistency theory's survey example. Anyways, it was the #1 recommended book on Amazon in consumer behavior. I'm curious to know if anyone would recommend a better book. Bottom line, I think everyone should read this book to be aware of these techniques. Applying some of these theories well enough could be dangerous…seriously. (less)

Summary: This book can’t be summarized. It can only be very, very strongly recommended.

Recommended? YES. Buy it now if you haven’t read it.

Table of contents:
1 Weapons of Influence
2 Reciprocation: The Old Give and Take…and Take
3 Commitment and Consistency: Hobgoblins of the Mind
4 Social Proof: Truths Are Us
5 Liking: The Friendly Thief
6 Authority: Directed Deference
7 Scarcity: The Rule of the Few

Below are my key takeaways and some interesting points, but I’m telling you. Buy it. Read it. Tru
Mark Cheverton
Required reading for all marketing professionals. The book details the most common approaches to influencing the decisions of others, backed up by the authors time spent infiltrating direct marketing companies and the like. Offers handy hints on how to spot when you're being manipulated and how to handle it.

A very enjoyable read, should leave you much more aware of how you're being played next time you're in the market for a used car.
I don't understand why so many people rated this book so highly.

--It panders to the audience by using overly simple language and repeating the same idea 5 times to make sure that the reader really understood. Example (from memory): "People are heavily influenced by society. Society shapes our choices. Our choices are influenced by the people around us. There are countless examples of one's choices being swayed by his or her peers." Thanks, I got it the first time.

--The first and second "weapons
Six "weapons of influence"

1)Reciprocation - People tend to return a favor. Thus, the pervasiveness of free samples in marketing. In his conferences, he often uses the example of Ethiopia providing thousands of dollars in humanitarian aid to Mexico just after the 1985 earthquake, despite Ethiopia suffering from a crippling famine and civil war at the time. Ethopia had been reciprocating for the diplomatic support Mexico provided when Italy invaded Ethopia in 1937.

2)Commitment and Consistency - I
Social Proof - People will do things that they see other people are doing. For example, in one experiment, one or more accomplices would look up into the sky; the more accomplices the more likely people would look up into the sky to see what they were seeing. At one point this experiment aborted, as so many people were looking up, that they stopped traffic.

Scarcity - Perceived scarcity will generate demand. For example, saying offers are available for a "limited time only" encourages sales.

I put this book under "dangerous knowledge." Cialdini, still a top consultant in this field, has a tiny disclaimer at the end of the book saying how he's aware that this knowledge could be misused, but doesn't go much further.

I see this stuff abused all the time, to spin democracies to go to war, to sell us products and services we don't really need and much, much more.

I've been wanting to start an ethics institute around this topic. Interested? Write me!
So, I've read a fair amount of the literature about group dynamics and social influence, and taught classes that discussed and used it. So I thought I'd know much of what was in this book already. While I was familiar with some of it, there were a number of tricks I hadn't noticed, and excellent descriptions of the ones I had, complete with explanations. Definitely worth reading!

Influence describes the six categories of techniques that have the potential to influence us without our conscious awa
'Know Thyself' is not just a catchy cliché, it was for centuries a central spiritual imperative. Reading books like this only remind one of why it is so important. Even with modern psychology the average person understands so very little about themselves, their drives, why they do what they do, why they like what they like, that they are easily manipulated and exploited. You could say that it is even better if the person fallaciously believes they do know themselves and are confident in that und ...more
Nyamka Ganni
Бас л хүн бүр уншууштай ном. Та хүсээгүй эсвэл төлөвлөөгүй худалдан авалт хийх бүртээ, бусдын ятгалаганд орох болгондоо яаж яваад "за" эсвэл "тэгье" гэж хэлэхэд хүрснээ гайхдаг бол энэ номыг санал болгоё. Бусдаар хүссэнээ хийлгүүлэх, бусдыг өөрийн талд эргүүлэх маш олон арга байдгаас хамгийн ихээр хэрэглэгддэг хэдийг нь тайлбарлан өгүүлсэн. Маш сонирхолтой.

За тэгэхээр би гэдэг хүн өдөр тутамд хэн нэгний ятгалганд автан өөрийн хүсээгүй зүйлдээ зөвшөөрөхөд хүрдэг юм байна. Өөрт хэрэггүй эсвэл хэр
Basically an interesting book. It was written in the 80's and is a little out dated in facts and writing style. I liked how he explained different techniques that are used to influence us, and then had a section on "how to resist." I found him a tad paranoid, though. He seemed to read a lot of mal-intent into people's desire to influence, when really I just think it is human nature to want to influence people over to your own way of thinking. I don't think I need to be hyper-vigilant at all time ...more
I have read a fair amount of literature about psychology, group dynamics and social influence - mostly from various little articles and blogs in the net, so although I knew many of the topics covered in the book, I am pleasantly surprised that I didn't know most of it. Now I do. This book pretty much covers all the popular studies done on the human psyche and far from being an academic paper, brings the Psychology of Persuasion to the masses in a well articulated, well referenced, book.

I especia
This book gives good insight to compliance strategies and main reasons we are persuaded - however I was unimpressed by a few of the examples Cialdini used and the main conclusion he made at the end of the book.

Example 1: After claiming to have been a bigger socialite than he really is to impress a young attractive saleswoman, Cialdini became particularly pugnacious about her "strategy of tricking him into exaggerating his habits" where as this was his fault, not the saleswoman's. When she offer
It's sometimes insightful but it seems to be written for a "young adult" reader and it seems to pander to the audience. I keep finding myself wishing it were better researched and better reasoned. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that such a popular book is so loaded with conventional wisdom and random assumptions presented as quasi-scientific.

What made me about apoplectic is that his fifth edition continues his inaccurate presentation of the Catherine Genovese myth despite that it has been wid
Ruhin Joyee
Never before did I recommend a book to so many. The book had me in the first chapter. I went on talking about how 'revealing' the book is during hangouts with friends, in between classes, sometimes during classes and when not. I tried to explain to mom how the rule of reciprocation influences our decisions while having dinner with her, tried to explain the reason behind certain behaviors of our newly appointed driver to my father. The book got to me.

I did certain things throughout my life withou
Author Cialdini began the research that would lead to this book when he got tired of being taken advantage of. He’s not unintelligent, yet he would find himself talked into buying things he didn’t want at all. What was happening?

It turns out that there are some basic ways that humans are influenced, and most people follow them without questioning. Some are just the easy way to deal with situations, while some actually create discomfort when one refuses to follow the social conventions. Cialdini

Brilliant book! I first read Cialdini book several years ago and I try to make it my routine to read it at least every year since then. Professor Cialdini through many fascinating examples leads us on a journey to find how we are being persuaded to act and react in many ways that are not always to our benefits.

Professor Cialdini review in this book six main factors that influence our behaviors: reciprocation, liking, scarcity, authority, commitment/consistency and social proof, the books explai
This book was assigned in my Social Influence class and I loved it! Cialdini has done tons of interesting research and is clearly very accomplished in the Psych field, yet he can write a book that everyone (non-Psych majors included) can understand. Each social tactic is explained thoroughly and he uses a lot of stories as well as his own experiments to back it up. I love how he peppers his anecdotes with his sense of humor ("Looking somewhat embarrassed because his father seemed to be raving wh ...more
This is a terrible book. Granted, I understand Cialdini is held in high regard for his analysis of "compliance professionals" but I found this book tedious, boring, and rife with self-reverance. It is by no means a 21st treatise on how influence works. I don't even recommend this as a historical example of how salespeople and other influence experts may have been taught; it's that bad.
Tung Nguyen
This book is definitely worth reading, especially for people who are interested in psychology, marketing and politics.
The book is organized in a very scientific way. For each principle, Robert mentions the ways we are exploited first, then the psychology under it and finally how can we "say no" or deal with such exploitation. Many vivid examples are used, even though the example are from 20 - 30 years ago. Still many of them exist nowadays. I read this book while studying the course general psy
Sean Mcmahon
In Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion, Robert B. Cialdini lists six different methods which one can use to persuade people. He lists the six tools of persuasion as: reciprocation, commitment and consistency, social proofs, attraction, authority, and scarcity. The first tool, reciprocation, draws its power from the desire to repay in kind a favor which was shown to us. The desire to repay a favor stems from the feeling of indebtedness which the receiver of the favor has from receiving the gi ...more
Прекрасная книга!

Автор очень профессионально подошёл к работе с ней. Информация воспринимается очень легко, а самое главное то, что она весьма ценная.

Она поможет углубиться в понятие психологии влияния и манипулирование людьми, таким образом стать помощником для использования новых знаний для достижения более эффективных манипуляций при достижений тех или иных целей.

Главное, чтоб эта книга попадала в руки только людям с высокими моральными ценностями, иначе она способна принести существенный вре
Všelijaké self-hack a self-help knihy se u mě většinou míjí účinkem, ale přesto jsem Zbraním vlivu díky výborným ohlasům šanci dal. A dobře jsem udělal. Dokonce by mi vůbec nevadilo, kdyby kniha byla obsáhlejší. V názorných příkladech prokládanými přiměřeně dlouhými úseky teorie jsem se naučil spoustu zajímavých mechanismů na obranu proti všudypřítomné persvazi. A jak už to tak bývá, každý meč má dvě ostří, takže se ze mě teď nejspíš stane machiavelistický manipulátor. Dejte si pozor.

David Groves
This book is excellent. It's so much more useful than other persuasion/negotiation/sales books, many of which are characterized by a lack of values. They promise everything, such as the book, "How to Get Anything You Want," or the Napoleon Hill books, which is full of easy pronouncements upon "the infinite," by which I mean LOTS OF MONEY. They make sweeping generalizations from on high. They offer no evidence for those things about which they generalize. They feel false. They have an underlying ...more
Matt Heimer
I read this because a Very Influential Person my magazine is profiling said that every consumer should read it. Can you say "hyperbole?" That said, Ciardini offers a tidy survey of post-Stanley Milgram research in human gullibility, and he's funny in a avuncular "professor who seems cool until you talk with him one on one" kind of way. Some of it--particularly a disquisition on the psych-warfare techniques of the Communist Chinese during the Korean War--is disturbingly timely in the Bush era.
Chad Warner
Feb 16, 2015 Chad Warner rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chad by: Daniel Pink
An intriguing exploration of the psychology of persuasion. Cialdini explains six “weapons of influence,” showing how they’re used, why they work, and how to resist them. There’s plenty of research and anecdotes. The lessons are applied to everyday life, and frequently to marketing and sales.

The main point is that when we focus on a single influencing future rather than the entire situation, we often respond automatically, leading to a poor decision. Although influencing features can provide shor
Vitalijus Sostak
This is what I call practical psychology!
This book is much-hyped, but it totally met my expectations: simple style with summaries at the end of each chapter., numerous real-life examples, based on tons of research (references comprise full 15% of the book!) and a lot of "exactly!" moments for even advanced readers.

Well worth reading for everyone, absolute must for salespeople.
Tiffany daSilva
One of the BEST books I've read on persuasion.. (Hmm.. maybe they really do know how to influence?). I loved the studies, anecdotes, and teachings this book provides. On top of that, Cialdini really makes you stop and think about your the choices you make and the reasons you make them. Good for everyone no matter what field they're in.
André Bueno
READ THIS BOOK. It is just too f***ing awesome to not be shared with the world. Cialdini used the best case studies to support his arguments, his anecdotes are absolutely hilarious, and he presented the content in an extremely approachable fashion. I highly recommend this book.
Alex Allain
This is an absolutely incredible book. One of those books that frame how you see the world--particularly how you interpret the behavior of others.
Click Whirr 4 85 Jul 07, 2014 11:56AM
  • Learning from the Future: Competitive Foresight Scenarios
  • Seeking Wisdom: From Darwin To Munger
  • Driven: How Human Nature Shapes our Choices
  • Spin Selling: Situation Problem Implication Need-payoff
  • Marketing Metrics: 50+ Metrics Every Executive Should Master
  • Fascinate: Unlocking the Secret Triggers of Influence, Persuasion, and Captivation
  • Web Analytics: An Hour a Day
  • Sources of Power: How People Make Decisions
  • Brainfluence: 100 Ways to Persuade and Convince Consumers with Neuromarketing
  • The Halo Effect: ... and the Eight Other Business Delusions That Deceive Managers
  • Bankable Business Plans
  • Making Sense of Behavior: The Meaning of Control
  • Neuromarketing: Understanding the Buy Buttons in Your Customer's Brain
  • Bargaining for Advantage: Negotiation Strategies for Reasonable People
  • The Progress Principle: Using Small Wins to Ignite Joy, Engagement, and Creativity at Work
  • Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind: How to Be Seen and Heard in the Overcrowded Marketplace
  • Turning Numbers into Knowledge: Mastering the Art of Problem Solving
Dr. Robert Cialdini has spent his entire career researching the science of influence earning him an international reputation as an expert in the fields of persuasion, compliance, and negotiation.

His books including, Influence: Science & Practice, are the results of years of study into the reasons why people comply with requests in business settings. Worldwide, Influence has sold over 2 million
More about Robert B. Cialdini...

“A well-known principle of human behavior says that when we ask someone to do us a favor we will be more successful if we provide a reason. People simply like to have reasons for what they do.” 31 likes
“Embarrassment is a villain to be crushed.” 11 likes