Riding Through Fire (Dark Horse, #1.3)

Riding Through Fire (Dark Horse #1.3)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  303 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Evan is the son of Jeff's best friend, and no matter how much the kid flirts, how much he tempts, Jeff will not give in. Then tragedy strikes, and Jeff realizes that Evan needs much more from him than just his body. He also realizes that Evan may not be such a kid, after all.
ebook
Published 2011 by Kate Sherwood Books

To ask other readers questions about Riding Through Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Riding Through Fire

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter
3.5 stars.

photo tumblr_mak08sTQ9j1qe1z7co1_500_zpsad1bb30d.gif

photo tumblr_m2dtkmpKoY1rpztxvo1_500_zps3dbf0431.gif

photo tumblr_ml57u5yAEr1qc9ap6o1_500_zps3c8ee8a3.gif

Another enjoyable freebie in the 'Dark' series. Riding Through Fire is about Jeff and Evan's first time together. I love it when Jeff gets bossy! YUM!

REVIEW TO COME...
Isabel
Jan 14, 2014 Isabel rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Isabel by: Eva
Shelves: erotica, m-m, short, freebies
This short story shows the beginning of Jeff and Evan's relationship, and I love it, even if tragedy is always present in this series...

I love Evan! His perseverence, his confidence... are so appealing! He knows what he wants and he fights for it! And he wanted Jeff...
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Like Sometimes You Just Know gives the backstory of Dan and Justin this short gives the history of Evan and Jeff's relationship.
It, like most of the others in this series has sad undertones and tragedy striking, but it's also sweet and cute. Jeff finally gives in to Evan's flirting and as the saying goes, it's the start of a beautiful friendship...and more, of course.
It's free and a good addition to the series.
Debra
I liked this short about Jeff and Evan getting together as a couple. I liked both of these characters in Dark Horse and really enjoyed them in this short. Hoping to see a lot of more Jeff in charge in the upcoming books.
Eva
This short novella gives the history of first steps in Evan and Jeff's relationship.

Jeff finally gives in to Evan's flirting and this gets the fire started...

This novella, like most of the others in this series, has sad undertones and tragedy striking, but it's also sweet and cute and incredibly steamy.

Loved it so much...
Cory
A little back story about Evan and Jeff. You have to admire Evan's confidence. He is very eager and not afraid to say what he wants. It's both refreshing and a little intimidating at the same time.

I like these two as a couple and I think they round each other out nicely. After reading Dark Horse it was nice to read the follow up novellas to get a better insight into Dan, Evan, and Jeff (and, of course, Justin).

I think I'm ready to take the plunge and read Out of the Darkness. I'm excited about...more
Gina
This short was showed us how Jeff and Evan met. It starts out really sad, and again i was fighting back the tears. Eventually, it was wonderfully warm and sweet, especially watching Jeff fight is attraction to Evan. I love these two guys!  photo 2271_zps251e2c1f.gif
Christina

3.5 Stars

I liked reading about how Jeff struggled with his attraction to Evan in the beginning, but it really didn't give me anymore insight to their relationship. I wanted more of Evan and Jeff's current relationship. I think this aspect is far more important than the story of how they first got together. I wanted to see how they are dealing with their open relationship, what their expectations are and how they've changed over time. I hope we get more of this in the second book because this is...more
Riley
A little sad, but sweet & adorable nonetheless. I like early Evan & Jeff.
Dawn   (Sam Roth)  Nicholson
~ 'Okay, Yeah, You're Driving. Sorry. Any Chance You Could Drive A Little Faster?' ~ (Evan)

I loved this short novella about how Evan and Jeff begin their relationship.. Love the way that bedroom scene played out when they first get together intimately. These two are cute together and I cant wait to move onto the next installment.
Tina

A nice but sad short story about Evan and Jeff's history. Sets the stage for Dark Horse. Really loved reading how it all began between Evan and Jeff. :)
Bev

Mini review for this one. Jeff and Evan's story before they eventually became lovers. 4 stars
Alvin John
This was actually another prequel to Dark Horse. A look in how Evan & Jeff got together.

Their relationship is a little kinky for me, since Evan is Jeff's best friend's son. But I actually don't mind. They're very sexy!

This was good. The first part was sad. I cried that part, which is good. And the last part was hot.

There's something missing for me though, this doesn't answer why their relationship is breaking apart on Dark Horse and I would like to know that.
And why these shorts are not in t...more
Deborah

I have to say I did not purchase this book from amazon since it's free on allromanceebooks and even though I loved the Dark Horse books I wouldn't pay 77p for 29 pages.
Riding Through Fire gives us a bit of background into how Jeff and Evan's relationship came to be, it's a nice addition to the series.
I've only given 3 stars simply because the books so short.
Susan65-Coug
A very short intro to the beginning of Jeff and Evans relationship before Dan. They could have easily been a couple but I am glad they eventually added Dan. A sweet read after you read Dark Horse.
Marlobo
A look at the beginnings of Jeff and Evan as couple. On the basis of what I already knew from Dark Horse, only two things surprised me and both regarding Jeff which now, being already fully in the reading of Out of the Darkness, starts to seem not so confident.

What surprised me was:
* Jeff's relation with art, that he obviously retakes after getting involved with Evan.
* Jeff's dominant vein, that would flourish also as part of his relation with Evan.

So what? Is Evan the Great Catalyst?
We'll see....more
Ana
This is the history of how begins the relationship between Jeff and Evan, hot and lovely read.
The UHQ Nasanta

I really like the Dark Horse series. It was nice to read about how Evan and Jeff got together. I wish that I was able to see more of how Evan and Tat had to cope with their parents' deaths, and Jeff's role in their lives - both before and after.

My problem with this story though was that it didn't seem as if the author kept an info sheet of her characters and a timeline. What follows might be considered a bit spoilerish for Dark Horse:

From what I can tell so far from this story:
- Tat is...more
Janie
This was pretty good considering it was so short. But I liked the build up of their relationship. I liked that Jeff felt so guilty for having naughty thoughts about Evan but then came to realize that the 22 year old was definitely a man. Sad that something so sad had to happen to finally pull them together.
Gavin Stephenson-Jackman
A great backgrounder on the relationship between Evan and Jeff. Two of the other main characters in the Dark Horse (Dark Horse, #1) by Kate Sherwood series. Very hot relationship if it continues the way it starts. Again this gives one more feeling for the various characters in the novel.

I feel I need to take a little break before reading the next novel in the series, Out of the Darkness (Dark Horse, #2) by Kate Sherwood, just to come up for air. I'm very much looking forward to reading it but I need to cool my jets a bit before getting into what has been an excellent series so far.
Mercedes
I can't help but feel like this was a truly wasted opportunity to tell Jeff and Evan's story. I feel they were shorted. How they get together and how they interacted on their own would have enriched this series. Oh well!
AnnaLund
Goodreads TOS-compliant review: (I think, let me know when they tell us what the rules are).

"The book I just read is about two (or three) lovely people, written in beautiful language, by a very good and prolific author. I liked it very, very much.
It is for sale on Amazon.”

For my honest and true view of the same book, please read …MORE

DISCLAIMER: As of today my reviews will all have this pretty face, so that all and everyone on Goodreads can stay happy and beatific. I’ll let you know if I chang...more
Melissa
The beginning was interesting, but I lost interest towards the end.
L-D
For some reason, I could barely make it through this short. I just really didn't feel the connection between Jeff and Evan. I think I was a bit biased because I already knew from the main stories that Jeff and Evan weren't exclusive as a couple, so it made it difficult for me to really see this work out for them. Hard to root for them when you already know their relationship isn't "the one"
Mrs Condit & Friends Read Books
The story begins with the death of Evan’s parents and progresses through their first date and night together. If you love Evan and Jeff in the other books then you will here as well. This novella is a perfect story to read between the longer novels.

Please see Lady McNeill's complete review on January 24, 2013 at http://mrsconditreadsbooks.com/index....
Kaje Harper
3.5 stars. This is nicely done, showing how Evan and Jeff began their relationship. But for me it didn't contain any revelations or insight that I couldn't have guessed at from the other books. A nice little additional taste of a couple of guys I have become fond of. But more simple than any of the others in the emotions and interactions of the characters.
Valérie
J'adore cette série Dark Horse. Dans ce spin off , Kate Sherwood nous offre le début de la relation entre Evan et Jeff qui est le meilleur ami de son père . C'est la aussi que nous comprenons le lien très particulier qui les lient et comment il s'est créé.
Stacey Jo
I had always wondered how Jeff and Evan got together. We finally get to see how they started in this short story. Jeff was very concerned about the age difference at first until he finally realized that Evan wasn't quite the kid he thought he was.
Tamela
This was a surprise, but a nice one. The previous books and stories in the series revolved around Dan. This one gives us a glimpse into the beginning of Jeff and Evan's relationship. It's nice to learn how they fit together.
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Another nice little addition to the background of this series. I loved seeing how Jeff and Evan began their actual relationship. I really enjoy the characters in this series and wish there was more to this story.
  • Playing for Keeps
  • You Get Full Credit For Being Alive
  • On The Dock
  • Don't Read in the Closet: Volume Three
  • Heatstroke
  • Learning to Feel
  • First Christmas: Marcus and Thomas Christmas Vignette (Nature of Desire, #7.3)
  • Brandon's Laughter
  • Like the Taste of Summer
  • Hunting Under Covers
  • Aftermath (Glitterland, #1.5)
  • The Gig (Speechless #2)
  • To Wish for Impossible Things (Tales from Foster High, #3.5)
  • Just One Kiss
  • Beyond Duty (Short story)
  • Second Chance Sam
  • Falling Away
  • Swept Away
Dark Horse (Dark Horse, #1) Out of the Darkness (Dark Horse, #2) Shying Away (Shying Away #1) Of Dark and Bright (Dark Horse, #3) Mark of Cain