Start by marking “Kramerová versus Kramer” as Want to Read:
Kramerová versus Kramer

Kramerová versus Kramer

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  631 ratings  ·  49 reviews
In the beginning they were three. Joanna and Ted Kramer, and four-year-old Billy -- his big brown eyes bright with curiosity and wonder. A perfect family. Then on day the mother abandons them. Divorce. And now they are two. Father and son. Caring and cared for, learning what loving and belonging are all about, until there is a bond between them that nothing can break. Noth ...more
Hardcover, Máj, 192 pages
Published 1980 by Mladá Fronta (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Kramerová versus Kramer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kramerová versus Kramer

Raghav Bansal
A heart-rending story of the immutable determination and fathomless love of a father for his son in times tempestuous, Kramer vs. Kramer immediately connects with the emotional quotient of a person however minuscule that might be. It recounts the quandary of a person caught between his seemingly bright calling future and an adorable son alone at home after his wife decides to walk out on him. The way in which the author has managed to create the magical bonding and slow love between the father-s ...more
Ali
فيلمش را نديده‌ام؛ كلاً آمريكايي‌ها به مضاميني كه مربوط به دادگاه و مبارزه براي عدالت بشود علاقه دارند؛ و خوب موضوع ترك كردن خانه توسط زن؛ جدايي؛ سبك زندگي و غيره هم هست؛ شايد فيلمش بهترتر! از متن باشد؛ ولي متن هم بد نبود؛ قابليت سرگرم كردن را كه داشت؛ خوش‌خوان هم بود
Stacie
Kris
3 STARS

(I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review).

After some years of marriage and parenthood Joanna Kramer walks out on her husband and son. In the note she tells Ted she needs more than being a stay at home mom. Now Ted is a single father trying to understand how Joanna could leave their son, Billy and what he has to do next. As Ted and Billy start to get used to their new life Joanna returns and wants sole custody.

I have been wanting to read this book since I first
Coy Williams
Read it and get ready to cry!
Jess
This book did not thrill me, not did it annoy me. It was fine--a quick read, something easily consumable, and then forgotten. It is perhaps a bit dated because of the "mom wants to work outside the home, husband objects" narrative, thus entrenching it in the 70s. The one thing that I thought was particularly well done was the characterization of Billy. He seemed not like a caricature of a child, but an actual child. I won't read it again, but once again, it was well-written enough that I could r ...more
Phyllis
Sam Zumwalt
What an outstanding book. I came across this book at Half Price Books yesterday for I think seventy-five cents and thought why not. I had never seen the movie, but was somewhat aware of the plot. I sat it on the table with a couple of other books I bought last night. When I woke up today I could not put it down, it was one of those rare books that you find yourself reading in one sitting. The prose was easy to read and very matter of fact- a good bit of dialogue, but great description. As for th ...more
Barb
I chose to read this because it was a freebie on the Kindle in the last month or so, and I recognized the title from the movie. I had seen the movie several years ago, and as I recall, I thought it was a good movie.

I'm not sorry I read it. It was easy reading, and it never seemed to drag. If I recall correctly, I think I liked the ending in the movie a bit better. There were only subtle differences, but I liked those differences.
Erik
I haven't watch the movie, so I decided to read the ebook. As a father, I know it hard to connect with my children like my wife do. It needs hard work to become a father beyond a biologic father. I also agree that having children can make a man more responsible.
Amy Gennaro
I saw this movie years ago and loved it. I had never read the book and decided to read it.

While the movie was a great adaptation of the book---the book is definitely got a lot more depth to it.

I really enjoyed this book.
Ethan Davis
I didn't hate it, but I got pretty bored reading it. It was okay...nothing to rave about. The writing is very simple and you can breeze through the whole thing pretty easily. Also, it has some pretty weird/semi-graphic sexual stuff that I felt was kind of excessive.
Miamona
Ritka esetek egyike, mikor a film megindítóbb a könyvnél. De azért szerettem olvasni is.

Bonnie Lynn
Although I did see the movie, I'd not read the book. The novel was good but lacked the charm of the 1979 film with Dustin Hoffman and Meryl Streep. My preference for the movie surprised me since books normally trump their film versions, in my opinion (the other exception being "Jaws".) My friend speaks often of the lengthy struggle he went through to gain custody of his young son in the late 80's, which is what made me pick up the book when I found it available. I wouldn't advise against reading ...more
Kay
Saw the movie years and years ago, but I loved this book. Didn't realize Avery Corman wrote so many books made into movies.
Nice fast read.
Eva 'Nomad'
Тъжна книга за брака по погрешни причини, за раздялата, самотата, безизходицата...
Jean Marie Angelo
Read this about a year before the movie came out. Great story. Quick read.
Sally Drummond
a very poignant and heartwarming story of a father's re-connection with his son when his wife runs off after an unhappy marriage. it was very sweet and light read
Keith
I read this family divorce drama novel in the late 1970's.
Tania Tiberia
really enjoyed. good as the movie, different from the movie
Miramira Endevall
It was interesting. I think I found myself being offended by the social mores of the seventies than by anything else. i.e. when Ted's lawyer warns him that a male intermediary might only be there to try and elicit a "homosexual proposition" that could be used against him in the custody hearing...yeah, not okay. Also, the time-warp snapshot of a time when Cheerios cost fifty cents ("and they're made of air!") and a full-time nanny only $125/week was somewhat intimidating. Good, quick read.
Nicole
Is fire Island a real place? The movie does not mention it....In the book Billy is four in the movie he is in Grade 3...In the book we get a look in on the comedy of a single parent trying to date...the movie did not even touch on it...the book made me shed tears the movie left me dry eyed....I am so happy I read the book first because if I had only seen the movie, well I never would have read it. I enjoyed this book and I have read it more then once and each time it manages to make me cry.
Kenneth Emerton
I had seen the movie a good five times, and I thought that it couldn't possibly get any better. Then I found out that it was based on a book. Shortly after, I found the book and bought it. The book has quite a bit that wasn't in the movie that helps us understand even more about the Kramer's and their lives. The movie (which was written by Avery Corman himself) follows the book exactly, minus the parts that were left out. Any fan of the movie MUST read this book, it's a great read.
Laura Herzlos
This is one of the very, very few cases when I like the movie better than the book.
Melissa
Touching and real. I cried.
Adam82
Drama, drama, drama. You'll be surprised by the strength of the human spirit in this book. Patience are tested, friends become more than friends, and the skeletons in one's closet come out to play.
A movie was made from this book, but I have yet to see it. Men have heart too. At least, this one did. Enjoy!
Pavol
I read this book second time and I still enjoyed it. I like the way it was written. It was sometimes little funny, sometimes more serious and very moving at the end.
I also watched the movie but I think i prefer the book.
...and it is very short.
Next time I should try to read it in english.
Jim
Never saw the movie, so my reaction wasn't tainted that way. I liked the book, it kept my interest, but the prose wasn't what I'd call scintillating. It read like a legal brief sometimes, a little dry, a bit expository. Not bad all in all.
Nicole Sandford
Didn't really get into the book until the last 30 pages or so... It was interesting to hear a males point of view on fatherhood and how much he needed his child you don't hear about that much... A senior book...
Goodreads Librari...: DVD? 5 21 Jul 21, 2014 09:03AM
  • Raising Henry: A Memoir of Motherhood, Disability, and Discovery
  • The Rains Came
  • The Camerons
  • Flash and Dazzle
Avery Corman (born November 28, 1935, in the Bronx, New York) is an American novelist.

He is the author of the novel Kramer vs. Kramer (1977) which created a sea change in attitudes toward child custody with the public and in the courts in the United States and internationally. Robert Benton wrote the screenplay and directed the movie of the same name Kramer vs. Kramer (1979) starring Dustin Hoffma
More about Avery Corman...
The Old Neighborhood A Perfect Divorce The Boyfriend from Hell Oh, God! Prized Possessions