Start by marking “The Good Spell Book: Love, Charms, Magical Cures & Other Practices: Love Charms, Magical Cures and Other Practices (Investigating)” as Want to Read:

The Good Spell Book is a delightful little collection of Romany folklore, spells, charms, and cures that focus on the good things in life--love, luck, health, and happiness. The spells are simple and require only basic ingredients, such as a ribbon or a candle. This simplicity allows for a singular focus on the outcome of the spell, whether it's relieving a headache or fin ...more
Published June 15th 2000 by Orion (first published January 15th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Good Spell Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good Spell Book

DJ Harris
May 13, 2013 DJ Harris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Wiccans
Recommended to DJ by: Received as Birthday Gift from My Ex-Husband
Shelves: review, wicca
This is primarily a book for people who are just looking to have fun or purchase a novelty for a friend. It isn't really meant to be taken too seriously. It is small, light, and compact therefore ideal for travel and very easy to conceal in a purse or large pocket. If you are a serious practitioner I would let this one get away.

The Good Spell Book: Love Charms, Magical Cures, and Other Practical Sorcery by Gillian Kemp 3 Star Review

If you are a newbie, and/or just curious, this books redeeming quality is that it is fantastic as a practice manual. Most everything in the book is bogus anyhow, so you
Natalie Pietro
Jun 20, 2010 Natalie Pietro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen, own, re-read, spells
I loved this book when I was a teenager. One sunmer my friends and I must have watched the craft to many times cause we were hypnotized by this movie. We found this book and would sit all day picking out the right spells and thinking of just how we would go about getting all the objects to make the spell work. As the summer ended I think we never really completed a spell. Just mostly sitting with lit candles, meditating, and trying to connect with the dead. Much fun and good memories but hey, do ...more
Madeline
Jul 12, 2009 Madeline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: no-judgements
Purchased during my Wicca phase in high school, this book is actually very nice, and I still refer to it occasionally. The spells are all taken from traditional Romany lore and remedies, and even if you don't believe in them the extra information about Romany culture and beliefs is still very interesting.
All of the spells are simple and not at all creepy - the most exotic ingredient you'll find here is essential oils and incense. The spells are divided into five groups: love, health, pets, weal
Ralph
Oct 26, 2008 Ralph rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Over the past 5 years, this is the only spell book that has ever been 100% consistent and accurate with me. Each spell I've used has worked every time. The "job spell" has been really helpful, and has gotten me out of many a rough situation! Only use them for good...or else beware! Incredible havoc can be wreaked in your life....
Jai
Jul 11, 2008 Jai rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual, reference
Sweet, interesting, and beautiful, Kemp's line of books such as this one are great for anyone into magic or fantasy, even if you don't believe any of the stuff in it. The illustrated pages and classy ribbons are a nice touch--definitely a book to own and not simply borrow.
Leslie
Oct 10, 2011 Leslie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i love halloween and all that comes with it....love all of gillian kemps books....cool texture on outter cover and ribbon book marks...each book is a different color and look nice on your shelf...this was my first of her works
McKelle Burk
Aug 15, 2011 McKelle Burk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a charming collection of gypsy spells and folklore! Whether you believe in magic, or not, a good read!
S. Policar
Aug 17, 2014 S. Policar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. The spells are all Romany, some dating as far back as the 1600's. Personally, I've always been fascinated by the Gypsies and Gilliam Kemp's series on their spells is just amazing.

I found the spells fairly simple. I don't even the most thrifty of witches having a problem obtaining the small amount of things needed throughout the book. Some of the spells don't require anything other a candle, a campfire, paper, or a bay leaf.

This book has a collection of spells for just
Stephanie
Aug 08, 2014 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pagan-wicca
This is the first spell book I ever read at age 10 when I was first starting my journey as a pagan. For a beginner it was relatively easy to follow and doesn't require a lot of complicated or hard to find ingredients. The book is divided into spell type and has several spells in each section. This was also a great jumping off point and inspiration for writing my own spells. I would recommend it.
Katherine
Jun 19, 2012 Katherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: new-age-pagan
A go-to book that all practitioners should own. The book itself gives off the energy that it has been in my family for generations with its old binding and tassels for page-holding. I also love how Kemp annotated the book before publishing to add little details we wouldn't normally know.
Ade Favour
Jan 07, 2016 Ade Favour rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been long time to read this great book,thanks for allowed
Becca
Jun 29, 2010 Becca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
not only cute but a little info tossed in.
Michelle
Jul 08, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
such a cute book, I love it.
Nicole
Aug 17, 2008 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! It had spells and remedies for health, wealth, happiness, and love. It was so great!
Kaya-Renée Cousin
Jul 27, 2010 Kaya-Renée Cousin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who believes in magic
it was good, but its more of a DIY book than just something fun to read.
Karen Elizabeth
Apr 04, 2013 Karen Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE this little book. It's been one of my favorites for years now.
Wholayo Angel
Apr 23, 2016 Wholayo Angel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gillian Kemp really put thought into making this book, from the cover to the content's and design.
Emmanuel
Oct 28, 2013 Emmanuel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good
Becca
Jun 29, 2010 Becca rated it really liked it
cute and functional...would have liked a little more info and a little less frill.
Lauren
Feb 03, 2011 Lauren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some fun folklore in this one.
Maya
Oct 25, 2015 Maya rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I do not condone the use of fresh food in spells. Food is more important than flights of fancy.

Enjoyed learning a bit about the Romanies, though.
Victoria
Dec 01, 2013 Victoria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Was a book I had when I was younger back in early 2000s
Dree Lucia
May 26, 2015 Dree Lucia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A favorite childhood memory of mine when I went through my "let's try to be a secret witch" phase and make my crush fall in love.
Cindy
Jul 13, 2013 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
love it! the only spells I have ever considered doing
Quynh
Nov 22, 2016 Quynh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice layout. Interesting content.
Deirdre
Sep 23, 2012 Deirdre rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pagan
my mother and I share Halloween as our birthday. this wonderful book was given to me as a gift. I haven't tried anything yet, but one day I shall.
Mawgojzeta
A book of good physical quality; quite pleasant to look at and to hold. Contains a brief overview of the Romani people, spells, and various holiday descriptions.
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2008
Lexy
Lexy rated it it was ok
Nov 17, 2008
  • Everyday Sun Magic: Spells & Rituals for Radiant Living
  • Advanced Candle Magick: More Spells and Rituals for Every Purpose
  • Charms, Spells, and Formulas: For the Making and Use of Gris Gris Bags, Herb Candles, Doll Magic, Incenses, Oils, and Powders
  • The Book of Spells
  • Cunningham's Book of Shadows: The Path of An American Traditionalist
  • The Spells Bible: The Definitive Guide to Charms and Enchantments
  • The Provenance Press Guide to the Wiccan Year: A Year Round Guide to Spells, Rituals, and Holiday Celebrations
  • Silver's Spells for Prosperity
  • Your Book Of Shadows: How to Write Your Own Magickal Spells
  • Sabbats: A Witch's Approach to Living the Old Ways
  • Book of Witchery: Spells, Charms & Correspondences for Every Day of the Week
  • The Real Witches' Kitchen
  • Crone's Book of Charms & Spells
  • The Element Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells: The Ultimate Reference Book for the Magical Arts
  • Craft of the Wild Witch: Green Spirituality & Natural Enchantment