The Faber Book Of Beasts

The Faber Book Of Beasts

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  131 ratings  ·  6 reviews
An anthology of poems about creatures of many kinds, including some perhaps more fanciful than real. The poets range from Homer to the present.
Published October 1st 1998 by Faber & Faber (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Faber Book Of Beasts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Faber Book Of Beasts

Samir Rawas Sarayji
A wonderful compilation of poetry including both old and new. The unifying theme is beasts, whether it is just a mention of a beast in a poem or a poem completely revolving around one, if it fits the criteria of Muldoon then he's included it. Another interesting aspect is that the poems are published alphabetically according to the type of beast featured. The collection includes poets such as Ted Hughes, D.H. Lawrence, Robert Browning, Emily Dickinson and many others.
David
A wonderfully well-constructed anthology of poems about animals of all kinds and so many of them were new to me. All human life is there as well as all animal life both real and fictitious. This collection enhances Faber's reputation for publishing beautful anthologies and sits well with others I inherited from my father. A delight!
Ceri
Good anthology. I've covered the chapter on my OU course dealing with this book so I'm marking it read although I haven't read every poem.
Tina
Mar 11, 2011 Tina rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
A lovely selection of animal poetry.
Manda
Read what I needed to for the course, but haven't read any more. I find poetry offputting.
Helen
Probably an unfair rating- it's a set text for uni and poetry is definitely NOT my thing!
Fiona Grant
Fiona Grant is currently reading it
Sep 15, 2014
Carla
Carla is currently reading it
Sep 10, 2014
Claire
Claire is currently reading it
Sep 04, 2014
Kelly Moody
Kelly Moody marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Kevin
Kevin added it
Aug 27, 2014
Emma Backhouse
Emma Backhouse marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Wesam
Wesam is currently reading it
Aug 03, 2014
Kay Bolton
Kay Bolton is currently reading it
Aug 02, 2014
Terrie
Terrie marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Nicola Montague
Nicola Montague marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Born in Northern Ireland, Muldoon currently resides in the US and teaches at Princeton University. He held the chair of Professor of Poetry at Oxford University from 1999 through 2004. In September 2007, Muldoon became the poetry editor of The New Yorker.

Awards:
1992: Geoffrey Faber Memorial Prize for Madoc: A Mystery
1994: T. S. Eliot Prize for The Annals of Chile
1997: Irish Times Irish Literature...more
More about Paul Muldoon...
Moy Sand and Gravel Poems 1968-1998 Horse Latitudes The Best American Poetry 2005 Hay: Poems