The Celestine Prophecy (Celestine Prophecy, #1)

The Celestine Prophecy (Celestine Prophecy #1)

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  55,306 ratings  ·  2,476 reviews
You have never read a book like this before.

The Celestine Prophecy contains secrets that are currently changing our world. Drawing on ancient wisdom, it tells you how to make connections among the events happening in your own life right now...and lets you see what is going to happen to you in the years to come!

A book that has been passed from hand to hand, from friend to f...more
Published 1997 by Warner Books (first published 1993)

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth GilbertThe Da Vinci Code by Dan BrownTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerThe Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
Everyone's Read It But Me
71st out of 439 books — 3,321 voters
Twilight by Stephenie MeyerBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerEclipse by Stephenie MeyerThe Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
Books I Regret Reading
25th out of 1,418 books — 2,942 voters

More lists with this book...

mark monday
a mea culpa for me and Ruby!

once upon a time, a long time ago, i was an Entertainment Insurance Underwriter for AIG (well, a junior underwriter). i got to read a lot of scripts, i dealt with a lot of famous people, i got paid a lot of money. it was a time of much partying, much coke, an expense account, 1.5 assistants, and daily hangovers. one day i learned that i had written a movie policy that was so successful, so full of clever exclusions to coverage that it managed to cut off an entire fami...more
Prairie78
I resent when a writer who has a lot of opinions about, ya know, stuff, decides that everyone should hear about all the stuff he's thinking about, but then realizes that maybe it would be boring as all get out, so then decides that if he turns all the stuff he's thinking into a novel, then maybe people will read it. This way he still gets to spout rhetoric at his readers, but couch it in "fiction." No, sir, you cannot bend fiction to your evil will. Just because you put something within quotatio...more
Darby
I read this book at the end of 1996 or around beginning of 1997. I read about it in a magazine I used to get that I loved called, "Catalist." (The magazine went out of print - sorry to say - because I loved that magazine and still have all my issues - less then 2 years worth published.)

The Celestine Prophecy woke me up. I had been sleepwalking in the world. I woke up after I read this book and realized there was so much more I was suppose to be doing in this world. I realized that so many times...more
Bill
Someone gave my wife a hard cover copy of this book when she was in the hospital. I picked it up and read perhaps the first 50 or so pages while I was sitting in her hospital room, then I skimmed the rest of it and tossed it in the trash. What I saw was poor writing, misguided ideas, lack of structure and in general a waste of paper and ink, all in the guise of a novel of some sort. If I'd had anything else to read, maybe the back of a cereal box or the instructions for operating the medical equ...more
Dave
• This is the 2nd time I’ve read this book. And while I’m pretty sure most of it is fictional, I still think it carries some valuable insights…so I want to summarize them in the 9 insights of the book and my understanding of them:
o 1) Noticing the coincidences in life is the first step. The more I become aware of coincidences, the more I’ll become aware of a universal force behind them.
o 2) This is about putting my awareness into a longer historical perspective. Imagining myself as a part of all...more
Tess
Utter rubbish from start to finish. This is the literary equivalent of a Ponzi scheme. He made loads of money based on fraud. Nothing there.

If you have a brain, use it, and don't go near this book.
Sam
Jun 29, 2007 Sam rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: no one
I really hoped this book would be as good as "everyone" says it is. I was totally underwhelmed. Painfully jejune plot, paper-thin characters, pedestrian prose, and for what? A handful of ridiculous "insights" about how our expectations affect the physical world and how we fight for each other's "energy." Maybe if I sit down and meditate toward this book I can make it vanish permanently.
Victoria
Dec 09, 2012 Victoria rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: People who want to think about things in a different way and who can look past the writing style.
I take more from this book every time I read it.

My original review:

I've read this book a few times, the first time after it had been given to me by a rather 'hippy-ish' friend of mine.

The first time, I wanted to throw it in the bin. Written badly with two dimension characters. Flaws in the plot and the historical information and lots of the ideas were wishy washy.

Given my reaction to the first read, I can't really say what made me pick it up a second time. Maybe I was feeling wishy washy lol!...more
Tucker
This book encourages a spiritual-but-not-religious awakening. The flimsy, implausible storyline and the not-so-well-crafted dialogue is only a device to present the pillars of this New Age philosophy. There is no plot and no tension. It is apparent from the beginning that the Nine Insights will be revealed, one by one, in order, at a predictable pace, and will not be rigorously defined or defended. In one sense, they cannot be defined, because they represent non-propositional knowledge—-that is,...more
Evan Leach
The Celestine Prophecy outlines the spiritual beliefs of James Redfield, a New Age religious thinker. It is presented as an adventure story, where an American protagonist is searching Peru for nine “insights” from a mysterious manuscript. The book is divided into nine chapters, each focused on one specific insight.

Essentially, the adventure story lets Redfield’s main character move around and meet a variety of people who explain the key tenets of Redfield’s spiritual philosophy, one by one. Tha...more
Janine
Apr 06, 2007 Janine added it  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: no one
I cannot express in words how much I hated this book. Only retching noises will suffice. Several people whom I love recommended this book to me and I resisted until I was backpacking through Brazil and had nothing to read except a few romance novels in Dutch (which I can neither speak nor read.)I should have made the best of the Dutch.
karen
i read this in high school and i remember liking it, but if i read it now all grown up, i would probably find it silly.
Sammy
An unbelievable book, that can be read one of two ways, you can simply read it as an adventure story of a man struggling to understand what it is he wants from life, or, as I have done, you can read it as a self help book.

What a self help book it is. It really encourages you to look at yourself and how you see your life both its past present and future.

It gives you insights on how to take a more positive and active approach to your life. This book can change your life if you let it.
Joe
Some relevent and feel good ideas rooted mostly in the more mystical and esoteric branches of various world religions are choked by a sugary new-age coating and a completely irrelevent "mystery novel" story line. There is no story, the characters walk along, find a page and read it. The relevent contents of this book could be handed out in a one page pamphlet.
David
The only reason I own this piece of idiotic dreck is because QPBC sent it to me as the book of the month and I wasn't quick enough off the mark about sending it back - OK?

I just needed to make that perfectly clear. I do actually have a brain, and this book is clearly aimed at those who do not.
Tara
Favorite Quotes

...the basic stuff of the universe, at its core, is looking like a kind of pure energy that is malleable to human intention and expectation in a way that defies our old mechanistic model of the universe--as though our expectation itself causes our energy to flow out into the world and affect other energy systems.

...The human perception of this energy first begins with a heightened sensitivity to beauty.

...We humans have always sought to increase our personal energy in the only man...more
Reed
WTF? This book is the worst kind of sci-fi/pseudo-spirituality. There are enough real awesome things in the world; we don't need this. This book presents itself as non-fiction, and although the author repeated stated after the fact that is purely invented, hoards of people began following the "teachings" in this book. It's nearly unreadable, but it will give you insight into what the masses are loooking for: a way to make your life better and change the world. Too bad it's fake. i guess I would...more
Jamie Saloff
Dec 09, 2007 Jamie Saloff rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: those beginning their spiritual search.
In many ways, The Celestine Prophecy was the book that opened the door to the New Age movement in books. Before this book, finding a book on spirituality meant reading "longhair" books that often spoke in ethereal terms. Finding any of these such books meant traveling to a large bookstore, or, by chance, coming upon a hide-away shop that specialized in such things. The Celestine Prophecy blew open the publishing door by staying on the bestseller lists for years. Why? Because it offered an enjoya...more
Xysea
Jan 10, 2008 Xysea rated it 2 of 5 stars Recommends it for: curiosity seekers only
Recommended to Xysea by: my mother, a friend
Shelves: fiction, spiritual
I remember when this book was all the rage. Like it was telling people something new, like it was real! It was a giant hoax, wasn't it? The movie was some god-awful Lifetime movie-ish crap, too, wasn't it?

This kind of book reminds me of The Secret, by Rhonda Byrnes. Rather hokey, new-agey philosophys that have a cultish vibe to them. Of course, this isn't technically a self-help book, but a lot of people treated it like one.

In the end though, the things Re...more
Samantha
Jun 29, 2008 Samantha rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Those asking the larger of lifes questions
Recommended to Samantha by: -K-
Cassie
I was told to read this passed down book from a good friend of mine. As she gave this book to me she said, "This book changed my outlook on life and I hope it does for you too." The Celestine Prophecy is a book that is not only inspirational but also motivational too. As I read the uniquely written passages about how one can percieve things differently in life, I felt that this book can turn a negative perspective into a positive by just reading the first Insight. This book is about discovering...more
Shayna
I picked up this little gem at a thrift store, but I threw it away when I was done just to make sure that other bargain-hunters didn't suffer as I did. Cultish, New-agey garbage akin to "The Secret," Scientology, or Madonna's version of Kaballah. Coincidentally, I purchased "Left Behind" on the same day. I would need to flip a coin to determine which was worse. On the upside, there is something truly satisfying for me about the sense of superiority I get from reading an incredibly stupid book.
Izajane
This is possibly the worst book in print. Since I haven't read EVERYTHING in print, I cannot say definitively, but I would bet at least a packet of ketchup (this piece of trash isn't worth a better wager) that the cleaning of the Agean stables would be easier than finding a more poorly written stinking heap of nonsense.
Joe
May 24, 2010 Joe rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: crap
What would happen if someone wanted to destroy a precious manuscript that basically tells people a bunch of bullshit in the same madcap nonsense way that Italo Calvino would write if he was hit on the head a bunch of times? What would happen if someone took the most annoying aspects of the New Age movement, stuck them together with a few talents of the X-men sans anything interesting, and then ended the book in what I'm pretty sure was ripped off of those 80s Choose Your Own Adventure books?

In c...more
Brandi Denson
May 14, 2008 Brandi Denson rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: 12-17 year olds exploring spirituality
Recommended to Brandi by: Tim Bradford
This was an awesome book to read in high school. A very easy read, and the spiritual insights can be applied to any faith or religion.

The crappy part is how incredibly commercial the book has gotten. The movie was ridiculously bad, the following insights are contrived, and all the experiental guides and meditation books are a waste of money.

This book was more relevant and special when it stood alone, before James Redfield recognized it for a money-making machine.

It's also a little shallow fo...more
Luthien
This is the kind of book that has made me prejudiced against "best sellers." It's so terrible that I didn't even finish it, which is significant, because I virtually NEVER fail to finish a book, no matter how much I dislike it. The concept itself is not bad. In fact, I rather like it. But the book is written so poorly that it's insulting to the reader. Literature is art, and this book is the literary equivalent of dogs playing poker.
Tony
Aug 07, 2008 Tony rated it 1 of 5 stars Recommends it for: the truly gullible.
I read this book in the heart of the mania surrounding it in what, 1995? Piece of shit. I remember drinking a really cheap bottle of red wine while I read it in a single sitting, expecting a transcendental experience.

Suffice it to say, I felt pretty cheated after finishing (I was not elevated). I DO remember feeling really paranoid afterward (the wine?).

Did I mention piece of shit?
Elliot
Feb 26, 2009 Elliot rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommended to Elliot by: James Lenard
Shelves: religion
This is the kind of book that makes me feel guilty for assigning one star ratings for others books that aren't quite as bad.

To be brief, this book contains no more literary value than my gym bag. Had I not been recommended this book and had I not promised to finish it, I doubt that I would've made it past the first 10 pages before dropping the book and moving on - in fact, I did not even add this to my "currently reading" shelf, because I figured that I probably wouldn't be able to force myself...more
Andy
Jul 06, 2012 Andy rated it 1 of 5 stars Recommends it for: No one
Recommended to Andy by: Brandon Gee
A quick factual note before my review. The Mayans didn't live in Peru. Period. Mayan civilization existed primarily in Mexico as well as the present-day nations of Guatemala, Belize, northern El Salvador and western Honduras. Not Peru. I'll say that again. No Mayans. In Peru. Do some basic research next time Redfield.

This book is a cross between a sales pitch, and a religious text pushing what are apparently the religious beliefs of James Redfield.

Each chapter is an outline followed by a revie...more
Sam
Jun 20, 2012 Sam rated it 1 of 5 stars Recommends it for: NO ONE
Worst book I've ever read 81 498 Apr 08, 2014 02:02AM
What's The Name o...: fiction religious mystery [s] 5 28 Mar 24, 2014 09:11PM
What's The Name o...: Hugging trees? Different colored auras? [s] 6 145 May 10, 2013 02:43PM
soal buku ini.. 2 60 Oct 05, 2008 11:02PM
  • Conversations With God: An Uncommon Dialogue, Vol. 3
  • What the Bleep Do We Know!?: Discovering the Endless Possibilities for Altering Your Everyday Reality
  • Sacred Journey of the Peaceful Warrior
  • The Way of the Wizard: Twenty Spiritual Lessons for Creating the Life You Want
  • The Lightworker's Way: Awakening Your Spiritual Power to Know and Heal
  • The Disappearance of the Universe
  • One
  • The Crystal Bible: A Definitive Guide to Crystals
  • Bringers of the Dawn: Teachings from the Pleiadians
  • Love is in the Earth: A Kaleidoscope of Crystals - The Reference Book Describing the Metaphysical Properties of the Mineral Kingdom
  • A Return to Love: Reflections on the Principles of "A Course in Miracles"
  • Sacred Contracts: Awakening Your Divine Potential
  • Embraced By The Light
  • There's a Spiritual Solution to Every Problem
  • Spiritual Growth: Being Your Higher Self
  • Animal-Speak: The Spiritual and Magical Powers of Creatures Great and Small
  • Living in the Light: A Guide to Personal and Planetary Transformation
James Redfield is the author of The Celestine Prophecy and The Tenth Insight. He writes widely on the topic of human spiritual awareness and is active in the worldwide effort to save our last remaining wilderness areas. James lives with his wife, Salle, and cat, Meredith, in Alabama and Arizona.

More about James Redfield...
The Tenth Insight: Holding the Vision (Celestine Prophecy, #2) The Celestine Vision: Living the New Spiritual Awareness The Secret of Shambhala: In Search of the Eleventh Insight (Celestine Prophecy, #3) The Celestine Prophecy: A Pocket Guide to the Nine Insights The Celestine Prophecy: AN EXPERIENTIAL GUIDE

“We must assume every event has significance and contains a message that pertains to our questions...this especially applies to what we used to call bad things...the challenge is to find the silver lining in every event, no matter how negative.” 218 likes
“...Dreams come to tell us something about our lives that we are missing.” 140 likes