Start by marking “The Celestine Prophecy (Celestine Prophecy, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Celestine Prophecy (Celestine Prophecy, #1)

The Celestine Prophecy (Celestine Prophecy #1)

3.59  ·  Rating Details ·  74,040 Ratings  ·  3,014 Reviews
The Celestine Prophecy contains secrets that are currently changing our world. Drawing on ancient wisdom, it tells you how to make connections among the events happening in your own life right now...and lets you see what is going to happen to you in the years to come!

A book that has been passed from hand to hand, from friend to friend, since it first appeared in small book
Published 1997 by Warner Books (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Celestine Prophecy, please sign up.

ironicinori search the title and "pdf" in google and it's one of the first results.
Atle Lerøy They made a movie that came out in 2006. You can find it on most resellers, like Amazon. The movie goes by the same name as the book. If you've read…moreThey made a movie that came out in 2006. You can find it on most resellers, like Amazon. The movie goes by the same name as the book. If you've read the book, you'll also like the movie!(less)
Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth GilbertThe Da Vinci Code by Dan BrownTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerThe Notebook by Nicholas Sparks
Everyone's Read It But Me
76th out of 605 books — 4,328 voters
Twilight by Stephenie MeyerBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerEclipse by Stephenie MeyerThe Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
Books I Regret Reading
28th out of 1,704 books — 3,173 voters

More lists with this book...

Mar 28, 2007 Tara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Favorite Quotes

...the basic stuff of the universe, at its core, is looking like a kind of pure energy that is malleable to human intention and expectation in a way that defies our old mechanistic model of the universe--as though our expectation itself causes our energy to flow out into the world and affect other energy systems.

...The human perception of this energy first begins with a heightened sensitivity to beauty.

...We humans have always sought to increase our personal energy in the only man
Apr 06, 2007 Janine added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
I cannot express in words how much I hated this book. Only retching noises will suffice. Several people whom I love recommended this book to me and I resisted until I was backpacking through Brazil and had nothing to read except a few romance novels in Dutch (which I can neither speak nor read.)I should have made the best of the Dutch.
Jun 29, 2007 Sam rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
I really hoped this book would be as good as "everyone" says it is. I was totally underwhelmed. Painfully jejune plot, paper-thin characters, pedestrian prose, and for what? A handful of ridiculous "insights" about how our expectations affect the physical world and how we fight for each other's "energy." Maybe if I sit down and meditate toward this book I can make it vanish permanently.
Aug 03, 2008 Luthien rated it did not like it
This is the kind of book that has made me prejudiced against "best sellers." It's so terrible that I didn't even finish it, which is significant, because I virtually NEVER fail to finish a book, no matter how much I dislike it. The concept itself is not bad. In fact, I rather like it. But the book is written so poorly that it's insulting to the reader. Literature is art, and this book is the literary equivalent of dogs playing poker.
The only reason I own this piece of idiotic dreck is because QPBC sent it to me as the book of the month and I wasn't quick enough off the mark about sending it back - OK?

I just needed to make that perfectly clear. I do actually have a brain, and this book is clearly aimed at those who do not.
Jan 10, 2008 Xysea rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: curiosity seekers only
Recommended to Xysea by: my mother, a friend
Shelves: fiction, spiritual
I remember when this book was all the rage. Like it was telling people something new, like it was real! It was a giant hoax, wasn't it? The movie was some god-awful Lifetime movie-ish crap, too, wasn't it?

This kind of book reminds me of The Secret, by Rhonda Byrnes. Rather hokey, new-agey philosophys that have a cultish vibe to them. Of course, this isn't technically a self-help book, but a lot of people treated it like one.

In the end though, the things Re
Aug 02, 2007 Izajane rated it did not like it
This is possibly the worst book in print. Since I haven't read EVERYTHING in print, I cannot say definitively, but I would bet at least a packet of ketchup (this piece of trash isn't worth a better wager) that the cleaning of the Agean stables would be easier than finding a more poorly written stinking heap of nonsense.
Aug 22, 2007 Bill rated it did not like it
Someone gave my wife a hard cover copy of this book when she was in the hospital. I picked it up and read perhaps the first 50 or so pages while I was sitting in her hospital room, then I skimmed the rest of it and tossed it in the trash. What I saw was poor writing, misguided ideas, lack of structure and in general a waste of paper and ink, all in the guise of a novel of some sort. If I'd had anything else to read, maybe the back of a cereal box or the instructions for operating the medical equ ...more
Oct 13, 2007 Joe rated it did not like it
Some relevent and feel good ideas rooted mostly in the more mystical and esoteric branches of various world religions are choked by a sugary new-age coating and a completely irrelevent "mystery novel" story line. There is no story, the characters walk along, find a page and read it. The relevent contents of this book could be handed out in a one page pamphlet.
Dec 02, 2007 Tucker rated it it was ok
Shelves: finished
This book encourages a spiritual-but-not-religious awakening. The flimsy, implausible storyline and the not-so-well-crafted dialogue is only a device to present the pillars of this New Age philosophy. There is no plot and no tension. It is apparent from the beginning that the Nine Insights will be revealed, one by one, in order, at a predictable pace, and will not be rigorously defined or defended. In one sense, they cannot be defined, because they represent non-propositional knowledge—-that is, ...more
Jamie Saloff
Dec 09, 2007 Jamie Saloff rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those beginning their spiritual search.
In many ways, The Celestine Prophecy was the book that opened the door to the New Age movement in books. Before this book, finding a book on spirituality meant reading "longhair" books that often spoke in ethereal terms. Finding any of these such books meant traveling to a large bookstore, or, by chance, coming upon a hide-away shop that specialized in such things. The Celestine Prophecy blew open the publishing door by staying on the bestseller lists for years. Why? Because it offered an enjoya ...more
Jan 14, 2008 Reed rated it did not like it
WTF? This book is the worst kind of sci-fi/pseudo-spirituality. There are enough real awesome things in the world; we don't need this. This book presents itself as non-fiction, and although the author repeated stated after the fact that is purely invented, hoards of people began following the "teachings" in this book. It's nearly unreadable, but it will give you insight into what the masses are loooking for: a way to make your life better and change the world. Too bad it's fake. i guess I would ...more
Apr 16, 2014 Darby rated it it was amazing
I read this book at the end of 1996 or around beginning of 1997. I read about it in a magazine I used to get that I loved called, "Catalist." (The magazine went out of print - sorry to say - because I loved that magazine and still have all my issues - less then 2 years worth published.)

The Celestine Prophecy woke me up. I had been sleepwalking in the world. I woke up after I read this book and realized there was so much more I was suppose to be doing in this world. I realized that so many times
Jun 29, 2008 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those asking the larger of lifes questions
Recommended to Samantha by: -K-
Jul 01, 2008 Shayna rated it did not like it
I picked up this little gem at a thrift store, but I threw it away when I was done just to make sure that other bargain-hunters didn't suffer as I did. Cultish, New-agey garbage akin to "The Secret," Scientology, or Madonna's version of Kaballah. Coincidentally, I purchased "Left Behind" on the same day. I would need to flip a coin to determine which was worse. On the upside, there is something truly satisfying for me about the sense of superiority I get from reading an incredibly stupid book.
Aug 07, 2008 Tony rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: the truly gullible.
I read this book in the heart of the mania surrounding it in what, 1995? Piece of shit. I remember drinking a really cheap bottle of red wine while I read it in a single sitting, expecting a transcendental experience.

Suffice it to say, I felt pretty cheated after finishing (I was not elevated). I DO remember feeling really paranoid afterward (the wine?).

Did I mention piece of shit?
Nov 05, 2008 Cassie rated it it was amazing
I was told to read this passed down book from a good friend of mine. As she gave this book to me she said, "This book changed my outlook on life and I hope it does for you too." The Celestine Prophecy is a book that is not only inspirational but also motivational too. As I read the uniquely written passages about how one can percieve things differently in life, I felt that this book can turn a negative perspective into a positive by just reading the first Insight. This book is about discovering ...more
Dec 19, 2008 Tess rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Utter rubbish from start to finish. This is the literary equivalent of a Ponzi scheme. He made loads of money based on fraud. Nothing there.

If you have a brain, use it, and don't go near this book.
Dec 22, 2008 karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
i read this in high school and i remember liking it, but if i read it now all grown up, i would probably find it silly.
Jan 24, 2009 David rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual
• This is the 2nd time I’ve read this book. And while I’m pretty sure most of it is fictional, I still think it carries some valuable insights…so I want to summarize them in the 9 insights of the book and my understanding of them:
o 1) Noticing the coincidences in life is the first step. The more I become aware of coincidences, the more I’ll become aware of a universal force behind them.
o 2) This is about putting my awareness into a longer historical perspective. Imagining myself as a part of all
Jan 29, 2009 Sammy rated it it was amazing
An unbelievable book, that can be read one of two ways, you can simply read it as an adventure story of a man struggling to understand what it is he wants from life, or, as I have done, you can read it as a self help book.

What a self help book it is. It really encourages you to look at yourself and how you see your life both its past present and future.

It gives you insights on how to take a more positive and active approach to your life. This book can change your life if you let it.
Dec 09, 2012 Victoria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who want to think about things in a different way and who can look past the writing style.
I take more from this book every time I read it.

My original review:

I've read this book a few times, the first time after it had been given to me by a rather 'hippy-ish' friend of mine.

The first time, I wanted to throw it in the bin. Written badly with two dimension characters. Flaws in the plot and the historical information and lots of the ideas were wishy washy.

Given my reaction to the first read, I can't really say what made me pick it up a second time. Maybe I was feeling wishy washy lol!
May 24, 2010 Joe rated it did not like it
Shelves: crap
What would happen if someone wanted to destroy a precious manuscript that basically tells people a bunch of bullshit in the same madcap nonsense way that Italo Calvino would write if he was hit on the head a bunch of times? What would happen if someone took the most annoying aspects of the New Age movement, stuck them together with a few talents of the X-men sans anything interesting, and then ended the book in what I'm pretty sure was ripped off of those 80s Choose Your Own Adventure books?

In c
mark monday
Nov 09, 2011 mark monday rated it did not like it
a mea culpa for me and Ruby!

once upon a time, a long time ago, i was an Entertainment Insurance Underwriter for AIG (well, a junior underwriter). i got to read a lot of scripts, i dealt with a lot of famous people, i got paid a lot of money. it was a time of much partying, much coke, an expense account, 1.5 assistants, and daily hangovers. one day i learned that i had written a movie policy that was so successful, so full of clever exclusions to coverage that it managed to cut off an entire fami
Jun 23, 2016 Ronda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This is now about the 3rd or 4th time I've read this book and it probably won't be my last. Every now and again I just pick it up and off I go! I'll definitely plough through the next 3 books but probably won't put them on Goodreads again, I guess I'll keep them all as my guilty secret!

I loved this book when I read it a good few years ago. I enjoyed the spiritual factors behind the 'Indiana Jones' type storyline. I went on to read the rest of James Redfield's
Evan Leach
The Celestine Prophecy outlines the spiritual beliefs of James Redfield, a New Age religious thinker. It is presented as an adventure story, where an American protagonist is searching Peru for nine “insights” from a mysterious manuscript. The book is divided into nine chapters, each focused on one specific insight.

Essentially, the adventure story lets Redfield’s main character move around and meet a variety of people who explain the key tenets of Redfield’s spiritual philosophy, one by one. Tha
Jan 12, 2016 Andy rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one, ever.
Recommended to Andy by: Brandon Gee
Shelves: trashbooks
A quick factual note before my review. The Maya didn't live in Peru. Period. Mayan civilization existed primarily in Mexico as well as the present-day nations of Guatemala, Belize, northern El Salvador and western Honduras. Not Peru. I'll say that again. No Maya. In Peru. Do some basic research next time Redfield.

This book is a cross between a sales pitch, and a religious text pushing what are apparently the religious beliefs of James Redfield.

Each chapter is an outline followed by a review of
Sep 02, 2016 Fabian rated it did not like it
"The Celestine Prophecy" tells of following your innermost intuition-- which is truly ironic as I feel downright jipped after not having listened to my own quivering string; not leaving this rot to rot upon its dusty, underused shelf.

In this "adventure" (yes, "adventure") people of all non-distinct types intersect and learn the awful/outstanding lesson: NO MATTER WHAT (OR HOW), THOU SHALT BE CATERED TO! filling in one long lecture (interspersed throughout the dull-as-s**t narrative as spurts of
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
A client of mine once told me how wonderful and life-changing this book was, and I thought, huh, I'll have to give it a read. Thank goodness I checked it out from the library rather than spending any money on it. Lots of new-age nonsense here; nothing that struck me as both profound and truthful. It's not even an interesting story, viewed purely as fiction.

Come to think of it, that client was kind of an odd duck.
Jack Tripper

(Actual footage of me reading this book*)

*It was the only book available to me during a recent stay with some relatives down south, as I'd stupidly left the stack of paperbacks I'd planned to bring on the kitchen table at home. It's really really good if you like crap. I'm sorry if this book is really important to any of you. So, so sorry.

Just not my thing. To each their own.
Goodreads Librari...: Is this a synopsis? 8 17 Jun 03, 2016 07:48AM
Book Review #4 (Zay Tolbert) 1 7 Dec 14, 2014 07:20PM
Worst book I've ever read 82 600 Oct 28, 2014 06:25AM
What's The Name o...: fiction religious mystery [s] 5 31 Mar 24, 2014 09:11PM
What's The Name o...: Hugging trees? Different colored auras? [s] 6 162 May 10, 2013 02:43PM
  • Conversations With God: An Uncommon Dialogue, Vol. 2
  • The Way of the Wizard: Twenty Spiritual Lessons for Creating the Life You Want
  • Archangels and Ascended Masters: A Guide to Working and Healing with Divinities and Deities
  • Bringers of the Dawn: Teachings from the Pleiadians
  • Edgar Cayce: The Sleeping Prophet
  • Essential Reiki: A Complete Guide to an Ancient Healing Art
  • Manifest Your Destiny
  • Animal-Speak: The Spiritual and Magical Powers of Creatures Great and Small
  • Serpent of Light: Beyond 2012 the Movement of the Earth's Kundalini and the Rise of the Female Light, 1949 to 2013
  • Talking to Heaven: A Medium's Message of Life After Death
James Redfield is the author of The Celestine Prophecy and The Tenth Insight. He writes widely on the topic of human spiritual awareness and is active in the worldwide effort to save our last remaining wilderness areas. James lives with his wife, Salle, and cat, Meredith, in Alabama and Arizona.

More about James Redfield...

Celestine Prophecy (4 books)
  • The Tenth Insight: Holding the Vision (Celestine Prophecy, #2)
  • The Secret of Shambhala: In Search of the Eleventh Insight (Celestine Prophecy, #3)
  • The Twelfth Insight: The Hour of Decision (Celestine Prophecy, #4)

“We must assume every event has significance and contains a message that pertains to our questions...this especially applies to what we used to call bad things...the challenge is to find the silver lining in every event, no matter how negative.” 266 likes
“...Dreams come to tell us something about our lives that we are missing.” 173 likes