Start by marking “1636: The Kremlin Games” as Want to Read:
1636: The Kremlin Games

1636: The Kremlin Games (Assiti Shards #14)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  489 ratings  ·  43 reviews
A new addition to the multiple New York Times best-selling Ring of Fire series. After carving a place for itself in war-torn 17th century Europe, the modern town of Grantville, West Virginia continues its quest for survival. A Grantville resident helps Russia modernize, but he in turn must deal with 1600s Russian culture and politics—or wind up dead.

Published June 5th 2012 by Baen (first published June 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about 1636, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1636

Leisuresuitlarry
This is the book that brings me back into the fold on the Grantville series. I liked it so much more than any of the last 3 that I read, and I think most of the credit has to go to Gorg Huff and Paula Goodlett. I don't know to what extent Eric Flint was involved in the writing of this story aside from creating the whole universe to begin with, but a lot of the melodramatic flair that he has in any of the mainline novels was missing; happily missing for my part. This was just a great story of ano ...more
Steve Sarrica
The strongest recent entry in the 1632verse. Gorg Huff and Paula Goodlett should be encouraged to write more in this space (while Virginia DeMarce should have her privileges revoked).

1636:The Kremlin Games spends a lot of time educating the reader about the state of Russia in the 17th century and then plunging the reader into myriad political intrigues. One thing is clear, it is miraculous that the wheels didn't come off the Czar's cart until 1917 in the real world.

An entertaining and quick read
Timothy
In some ways, a better title for the book might have been, "1632-1636: Retconning Russia into the timeline now that the series is moving East", as 1636: The Kremlin Games actually encompasses events from the beginning of the Ring of Fire/1632 series.

But in all seriousness, this turned out to be one of the better books from this series. Considering how quality has been varying throughout (especially the co-authored books), this one is like a diamond in the rough. Personally, I believe it benefite
Hilari Bell
An alternate history, created by thrusting a modern American town into the middle of the 30 years war, spreads to Russia--if you know the series, that's probably all you need for the plot. And if you don't know the series you MUST start with 1632. However, for those who do know the series...

Very good addition! I should start by saying that while I love the 1632 series, some of them work a lot better for me than others--largely because I'm a stickler for tight plotting, and by the nature of the w
Rena McGee
The events of The Kremlin Games actually stretches between 1631 (the arrival of Grantville in Germany) and 1636. Our main protagonist is Bernie Zeppi, a former auto mechanic who is not quite sure what to do with himself in the strange new world that is the 17th Century. He gets hired as a technology consultant by a Russian noble who has been sent by the czar to investigate Grantville. Russia of the 17th Century is about two centuries behind the rest of Europe, and Bernie is kind of the bargain b ...more
Jesse Mcconnell
Started out good, but the last half of the book was disappointing. It essentially dropped all interest in the characters and instead ran with a telling of events.

Oh, the story was told through the eyes of the characters, but the characters were only there to relate the events.

The book started off with a bang, though! I came to really like the main character. Mike Stearns and the other primary characters of the past books were heroic types - willing to step up and meet challenges. Kremlin Games s
Edie Folta
The 1632 series is my guilty pleasure. It's an alternative history fiction series based on a West Virginia town being plunked down in Germany in the middle of the 30 Years War. This episode has a plucky young WV slacker who goes to Russia and brings indoor plumbing and hot air balloons. So far.
Tim Wright
I just finished 1636:The Kremlin Games. Brilliant! You and your collaborators, Gorg Huff and Paula Goodlet, have turned out one of the finest Ring of Fire novels since The Dreeson Incident!

As with The Dreeson Incident, the three of you crafted a believable and practical setting for this story. Filled with believable characters with human flaws, desires, hopes, personal and challenging difficulties that make the reader care about them as though they are "real".

I sympathized with Bernie from the b
Ken Kugler
1636, the latest installment in the series is a knockout. Erick Flint, Gorg Huff and Paula Goodlett have done a wonderful job of taking this series to a new place and thereby breathing new life into a series that is now 14 books strong and counting.
The main character of this book is a guy named Bernie Zeppi. He is a damaged person for several reasons. One is that his mother died just after the Ring of Fire because the medicines needed were not available to her in the new time frame of the 1600s.
Julia
This is a great addition to the 163x series (also known as Ring of Fire series or Assiti Shards series). It's not a great place to start - I would recommend reading 1632 first, but after that it stands well on its own.

"1636: The Kremlin Games" starts in 1631, soon after the town of Grantville has been transported from 20th century West Virginia to 17th century Germany. While the other books in the series focus on developments in Grantville and/or on characters who play a big role in the politica
Geoffrey
I read the ebook version of novel which I picked up on the publisher's site. Much of this novel I read as shorts in various Grantville Gazette releases; broken up I didn't care for the story line much but as a combined story the flow was much better and I enjoyed it a lot more. The book covers a period of 5 years and sometimes the chapters seem to skip a little but overall I didn't mind the transitions. As with much of the Ring of Fire series, quite a lot happens in these 5 years and I'm not cer ...more
Philip
Josh
An interesting entry in the ever-expansive Ring of Fire series that dropped a West Virginia mining town into the middle of Germany during the 30 Years War. Flint and his co-conspirators (it's not clear how much actual writing Flint has done on this one; I suspect he's been more of a name above the title and served as more of an art director/editor/imperial suggestor on this particular outing) go a little further afield than they've done before, leaving Grantville almost entirely behind to explor ...more
Bob
This continuing tale of Eric Flint’s 1632 world follows Up timer Bernie Zeppi, a definite underachiever who was just drifting along in Grantville after the Ring of Fire. When he is approached by a member of a aristocratic Russian family, Vladimir Gorchacov, and induced to travel to Russia to help his family translate and understand uptime information that Vladimir will be sending back from Grantville. Little does Bernie know that he will be a catalyst in a major upheaval in the social and indust ...more
Kei
More intellectually engaging than I had really expected, probably partially because I was looking up things about Russia-of-the-time as I was working on the book. This opened a new line in the overall frame of the story, and I enjoyed it.
John
Staggeringly dull and dismayingly amateurish. If Flint contributed anything to this book besides a brand name, it was not visible to me as a reader. Instead he seems to have left the matter to his "co-authors". Here's a tip on that: just because someone is fascinated by the question of how one might reverse-engineer a working flush toilet in 17th century Russia (and I mean plainly DEEPLY fascinated) does not necessarily mean they are qualified to write a gripping and worthwhile novel. Some might ...more
Peter
A fast read and interesting look at a potential major country in the near future of the series. Solid reasons for the character's actions throughout the book.
Mike
The Ring of Fire series of alternative history books is split into two types. One follows the great sweep of the alternative history featuring the effect of the presence of a small group of 20th century Americans on the history of Germany and central Europe. The other feature the adventures of individual Americans who get split off from the main group. This book is the second type. I normally prefer the first type, but I really enjoyed this one. A man who was adrift among the Americans after suf ...more
Robin
I found this one rather interesting. It deviates from the main story line and focuses mainly on one character who is recruited by Russia to help modernize the country and (hopefully) prevent what could have been another 400 years of toil and struggle in Russia. Unfortunately, he brings some of that future trouble with him.

I enjoyed reading about the jump start that one family tried to make to modernize the Russian technology and industrial base and help to make them a player in the "new world o
Nicole Luiken
Fascinating alternate history in the long-running Grantville series.
Frank
Another fun book in the 1632 universe
Kevin
One of the better novels in the series. I'm wanting to read the direct sequel right now. :-)
Leons1701
Now see, this is how you do a spin off. Kremlin Games is clearly outside the main storyline of the Ring of Fire and includes only small cameos of established characters. But the new characters are appealing and do interesting, important things. Slice of life stuff works in short stories for the Grantville Gazette, but a novel demands more and this one delivers, unlike some others I could mention. It's clearly the first book of a new line set in Russia and I find myself actually looking forward t ...more
happy
Sep 13, 2012 happy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: sf
entertaining read, but not the best of the series. Like most of the books in the series, it takes place at the same time as the rest of the books. It starts just after the event in '32 and carries forward to '36. A few of the characters, including one of the uptimers are stock villians, but others show growth and change.

I didn't recognize the characters for any of the other books, but then again I haven't read all of them.
David
I liked it, I didn't love it, but that may have been my sketchy knowledge of 17th century Russian history at work, more than any fault of the authors'. Was also rather amused that I made it through all 400 pages or so without a single reference to Checkov, (or Tolstoy for that matter.) Particularly how absolutely hellbent the downtime elites are to get info on their country from the future.
Rachel
This one was basically Meanwhile in Russia... Flint hadn't had much to say about Russia in the earlier books, so here we get a five year story, 1631-1636. It only loosely ties in with the rest of the books, but that makes sense: Russia hadn't turned up in the main story lines. Like The Saxon Uprising, it's got a clear focus and narrative goal, which is the main thing some of these books lack.
Byrel
Not bad. I really enjoy this series. However, you can tell that the authors have a strong background in writing short stories. They rely too much on telling you about character's tendencies and personalities for a novel. Novels have room to actually show those traits in action. On the other hand, their descriptions, technical and historical data, and culture clashes were great!
Topher
This one is effectively a stand-alone sequence, though it seems likely it'll be followed by more, starting yet another thread (bringing the count to 4? as of this point). You knew the powers of the east were going to get involved....Russia is still heavily invested in serfs, and lagging a few hundred years behind the west in technology BEFORE the ring of fire. What happens next?
Redsteve
I liked this one a lot. Although titled "1636..." it takes place through pretty much the entire run of the series up til now and focuses on characters who are not in any of the other books. Also, except for brief sections in Grantville, the entire book takes place in Russia. I'm looking forward to the sequel (assuming one comes out).
Ron
This turned out much better than I thought it would. I had read parts before in various Grantville Gazettes and they were OK, but having everything together with the cracks filled in made the tale coherent. Of course, there had to be a cliffhanger ending.
  • 1636: Seas of Fortune
  • Burdens of the Dead (Heirs of Alexandria, #4)
  • Himmler's War
  • Ruled Britannia
  • King and Emperor (Hammer and the Cross, #3)
  • Iron Gray Sea (Destroyermen, #7)
  • Final Impact (Axis of Time, #3)
  • The Forever Engine
  • Marching Through Georgia (Draka, #1)
  • Fire Season (Honorverse: Stephanie Harrington, #2)
  • Castaways in Time (Castaways in Time, #1)
Eric Flint is a New York Times bestselling American author, editor, and e-publisher. The majority of his main works are alternate history science fiction, but he also writes humorous fantasy adventures.
More about Eric Flint...

Assiti Shards (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • 1632 (Assiti Shards, #1)
  • 1633
  • 1634: The Galileo Affair (Assiti Shards, #3)
  • 1634: The Ram Rebellion (Assiti Shards, #4)
  • 1634 The Baltic War (Assiti Shards, #5)
  • 1634 The Bavarian Crisis  (Assiti Shards, #6)
  • 1635: Cannon Law (Assiti Shards, #7)
  • 1635: The Dreeson Incident
  • 1635: The Tangled Web
  • 1635: The Eastern Front (Assiti Shards, #10)
1632 (Assiti Shards, #1) 1633 1634 The Baltic War (Assiti Shards, #5) 1634: The Galileo Affair (Assiti Shards, #3) In the Heart of Darkness (Belisarius, #2)