Start by marking “Beautiful, Dirty, Rich” as Want to Read:
Beautiful, Dirty, Rich

Beautiful, Dirty, Rich

A gripping new novel from bestselling author J.D. Mason about a wealthy Texas family and the one woman who holds— and will reveal—all their dirty secrets

Desdimona Green has been the name on everyone’s lips in Blink, Texas. Twenty-five years ago, at the age of eighteen, she shot and killed one of the wealthiest men and pillars of the community, oil baron Julian Gatewood.
Published July 3rd 2012 by St. Martin's Press (first published July 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Beautiful, Dirty, Rich, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beautiful, Dirty, Rich

Jeanne
Aug 10, 2016 Jeanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
100 times more compelling and engrossing, for me, than Gone Girl. Trust the title, it does not lie. This is a Noir Southern Mystery. It had me in its grip from start to finish. Fantastic summer read

Trigger Warning: there are instances of dubious consent sex and rape. Teen prostitution and two chapters from the POV of pedophiles. Use of misogynistic, homophobic, and racist slurs. None of this is in heavy use or gratuitous, in my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

The library labeled this a romance.
Author Lesley Hal
Jul 31, 2012 Author Lesley Hal rated it liked it
Beautiful, Dirty, Rich by J.D. Mason held a lot of promise. A powerful and rich black family with secrets, betrayal, heartache, intrigue and all the trappings that draws me to this type of story. I liked the premise of the book well enough, but had problems with the execution.

Desi Green was convicted of murdering the wealthy Julian Gatewood. There was never a question about why she killed him, nor were there ever really any real justice delivered that fateful day nor thereafter. People get railr
Missy Michaels
Jun 18, 2016 Missy Michaels rated it really liked it
This is my first time to read this author. I chose it because of the cool title. I like that the book is set in Texas and I was hooked immediately from page 1. I didn't like it that it was set in a fictional town instead of a real one but I got over it and enjoyed the story I was being told. There are a bunch of characters to keep track of and it's definitely a page turner.
Arlene
Feb 14, 2017 Arlene rated it really liked it
Shelves: readsoullit, audio
Wow. This book was really good. It was JUICY! I think what I liked most were her characters. They were all so flawed and destructive. This was my first JD Mason book, and I'm glad that I finally picked it up and read it.

Demiere Lee
Oct 30, 2016 Demiere Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I stumbled upon Beautiful, Dirty, Rich and began reading the book, I realized I stumbled across a literary jewel and understood why J.D. Mason is highly regarded and recommended as far as African-American authors are concerned. This is a woman who knows how to write; she has the uncanny ability to create drama (and boy was there plenty, especially with the shocking twists and turns that made me say "No!" a few times) and to craft unforgettable characters. For those wondering what genre this ...more
Tracy
Aug 30, 2013 Tracy rated it really liked it
J.D. Mason is a wonderful writer. This story was a real page turner, and the plot was so unique. Desi is a layered character, and the story of the Gatewoods family drama is so juicy. Lonnie, though, is the character I was most intrigued by. She is part bad b*tch and part superhero; part single black female, part exotic vixen. She's a trip, and I loved reading about her. I was thrilled that when I got to the end of the story, I already had my copy of the sequel so that I could dive right in. J.D. ...more
Dr. Nic
Love this book of murder, mystery, and betrayal. J.D. Mason told this story extremely well and I have quickly become one of he newest fans!
Monique
Dec 19, 2012 Monique rated it it was ok
Well after finishing my Goodreads challenge I decided to read something light and fun and easy and this book fit the bill..It was a quick read chock full of "secrets" and the promise of big reveals but I just felt that the promise of a big payoff was kinda weak and the "powerful" secrets were lukewarm at best..So this book follows a recently released forty something year old convict Desi Green as she rejoins society after serving a 25 year sentence for murdering her father-one of the richest and ...more
India Jones-Tanner
Oct 31, 2012 India Jones-Tanner rated it really liked it
If I didn't know that there was a sequel to this book, I would've rated it much lower, because there are too many loose ends. But here it goes.....

Desi Green was accused of murdering Julian Gatewood at the tender age of 18. Fast forward 25 years and now Desi Green is a free woman, who is 20 million dollars richer, thanks to the money she inherited from the man she killed.

Hating the press, Desi vows to never talk to any of them, but Sue Parker, a journalist feels that Desi's true story of that f
OOSA
Aug 12, 2012 OOSA rated it really liked it
What’s Done In the Dark

Some people have a skeleton in their closet. And then you have those that have a cemetery in theirs like the Gatewoods.

Over twenty years ago the small town of Blink, Texas, was rocked by the murder of Julian Gatewood, a powerful and wealthy businessman. After serving over two decades for the murder, Desi Green has returned to Blink and she’s ready to let some of those skeletons loose.

The mystery, the intrigue, the unknown immediately engulfs readers. “Beautiful, Dirty, Ri
Karen Ashmore
Aug 02, 2014 Karen Ashmore rated it really liked it
While I was reading this book, my husband noticed the sultry cover and commented, “That’s not the typical book you read.”

"Yes, it's outside my normal reading realm but it's intriguing - a murder mystery romance," I replied. “Anyway the author is a friend of mine and I figured I need to catch up on her writing because she is coming out with a new one soon.”

This is a fascinating story (how does she think up all these twists?) and it takes place in Dallas, where I lived for 15 years. The first crim
MZURAQT
Jan 02, 2015 MZURAQT rated it it was amazing
For twenty five years Desdimona Green has lived her life behind bars for the murder of Julian Gatewood.The Gatewood family feels untouchable until their well hidden secerts have been revealed.Now with Desi being free and 20 million dollars richer heads are starting to turn as the city of Texas wonder what really happen the night of Julian death. Determind to get her side of the story out once and for all Desi decides to write a book and the secrets inside might just shock us all!!

This was a diff
Marisa Gonzalez
Nov 23, 2016 Marisa Gonzalez rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, urban-lit
Story of woman who returns to the small Texas town where she was convicted of killing a wealthy and prominent man when she was a teenager. Upon her arrival there are flashbacks of her past, of her relation to the deceased man and the secrets which caused her imprisonment. There are also twists and turns in the plot of what happened to those involved in her trial. It's hard to rate this book. I liked the story but I didn't know it was a trilogy. When I finish a book I like for it to be over and h ...more
Mel
Jul 07, 2012 Mel rated it really liked it
I read this, and the sequel in the wrong order. I guess if there is such a thing. It was great (as is J.D. Mason's other books). I couldn't put it down. The characters are not one dimensional and it's filled with everything you want in a book.
Angela Jones
Jun 26, 2013 Angela Jones rated it it was amazing
Awesome, awesome story.
There has got to be a sequel,the ending left me wanting more!
Desi was very inspiring and she deserves a love story!!
DeTerrius Woods
Apr 07, 2017 DeTerrius Woods rated it it was ok
Didn't Finish!

It pains me to write my first two star review of a book that I didn't even finish. However, I'm starting anew.

For years I've been wanting to read this book but never picked it up. This year, I decided to give it a shot since I was highly anticipating on reading her newest novel "The Real Mrs. Price." Long story short, I was let down. As another reviewer wrote, had the author executed this novel better, this book could've been my first 5 star read in a long time. The premise of th
Tazzyt2bossye
Nov 11, 2012 Tazzyt2bossye rated it really liked it
18 year old Desdimona Green was sentenced to 25 years in prison for the murder of her mother's married lover. Time served, she's a grown woman and lo and behold she's inherited millions of dollars that Julian Gatewood left to her mother. The arrogant Jordan Gatewood is hell bent on hating her because she has brought so much pain to his family.

Desi's best friend Yolanda, 'Lonnie' motivates as well as instigates Desi to tell the truth and shame the devil. But when all the sordid truths are uncover
Natasha
Jul 25, 2012 Natasha rated it it was amazing
I couldn't help but fall in love with Desi and Lonnie and their friendship. I felt for Desi and how more than half her life was taken from her. She took a lot quietly for years and I was proud when she decided to tell her side of things finally. If I had a friend like Lonnie, I'd be happy that I was on her good side. That woman went hard for Desi and the way they became friends was odd that it developed into such a strong friendship seemingly from nothing. Lonnie definitely played with fire, she ...more
Mary
Aug 06, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Desi was imprisoned for 25 years for the murder of one of the wealthiest men in the town. The family finds out that he is the father of Desi and many other secrets are revealed about residents of their town. When a true crime writer comes to to get the true story on what happend, Desi is ready to let it all go. Will the family allow the story to be told?

Like all the other books I have read by Mason, this book kept my attention from begnning to end. The one thing I did not like was how weak Desi
Carla Harris
Sep 07, 2013 Carla Harris rated it really liked it
This book had me from the first chapter! So many crazy twists and turns and highs and lows. I felt like I really knew the characters. Don't we all know some Gatewoods? Ugh!!! I'm so glad that I can start the sequel right away.
Karma Jones
Jul 07, 2012 Karma Jones rated it really liked it
Shelves: lendable

Great storyline and enough twists and turns to keep the pages turning.

Disappointed with the ending but satisfied since there is a release date for part 2. I am still not clear as to what the motivation was for Lonnie to befriend and help Desi in the first place? Seems strange to me....

Jasmine Cole
Sep 23, 2013 Jasmine Cole rated it it was amazing
it was a good book
ConSonia
Feb 03, 2012 ConSonia rated it it was amazing
This book was great enjoyed it from beginning to end was hope that Jordan wouldve gotten his but he didnt. Happy that Desi got her happy ending..
Sophie Sealy
Apr 14, 2016 Sophie Sealy rated it it was amazing
An unexpected winner, suspense, suspense, revenge and more suspense.
Alfred Thompson
May 13, 2014 Alfred Thompson rated it really liked it
this book started out slow but it turned out to be a good read
Sabrina
Jul 15, 2012 Sabrina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not really sure how to feel about this one. It definitely left the door open for a sequel. Lots of unanswered questions.
Ashley
Jul 07, 2012 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Didn't really care for the ending but overall I really enjoyed this book.
Tina
Jun 26, 2013 Tina rated it really liked it
After much convincing I finally gave it a shot. Loved it. I felt like I knew every character. Very good story.
Linda
Sep 08, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it
This book was very similar to Patterson's style I thought.

Great story line, great characters.
Latrisha Clark
  • Betrayal
  • Never Say Never
  • The Secret She Kept
  • Confessions
  • The Hot Pink Farmhouse (Berger and Mitry, #2)
  • If I Can't Have You (If I Can't Have You, #1)
  • Lady Elect
  • The Family Business 2
  • Gangsta Divas
  • The Replacement Wife
  • Animal (Animal #1)
I started with a goal in mind, and I prayed. “Lord, just let me be able to write books for 10 years. If I can write for 10 years, I can finish 10 books. And then I’ll retire.” I feel like I’m just getting warmed up, so I definitely think I need another 10 years.

J.D. Mason has been writing professionally for more than a decade, beginning with her first novel “And On The Eighth Day She Rested” which
More about J.D. Mason...