Start by marking “By His Bootstraps” as Want to Read:
By His Bootstraps

By His Bootstraps

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  484 ratings  ·  22 reviews
"By His Bootstraps" is a science fiction short story by Robert A. Heinlein that plays with some of the inherent paradoxes that would be caused by time travel. It was originally published in the October 1941 issue of Astounding Science Fiction (US) under the pen name Anson MacDonald.
45 pages
Published by Atlas Publishing & Distributing (first published October 1941)

To ask other readers questions about By His Bootstraps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about By His Bootstraps

Jeff Yoak
By His Bootstraps is atypical for a Heinlein story, particularly in terms of having a weak and undesirable main character. I think this was a byproduct of a very unusual plot challenge.

While Heinlein used time travel in other places, it was always of a distant sort. If you are both willing to move 2000 years through time and declare yourself unsure of potential paradoxes, time traveling isn't that big a burden. You just get an interesting setting. This was Heinlein's one use of close time travel
Andreea Daia
In spite of its several lacks, I mostly enjoyed By His Bootstraps, particularly because it condenses my personal theory about the quintessence of time. ツ

Robert A. Heinlein imagines an applied example of "immovable history" (my home-brewed term), which postulates that an actor is not able to change any events (past and future) of his/her life: s/he can only fulfill the history. The fantasy genre (and not only!) makes great use of the concept in the form of prophecies, while science-fiction mostly
Adam Smith
When a mysterious stranger appears in his room and tells him to step through a strange doorway, Bob Wilson finds himself thrust into the distant future where a man presents him with a proposal to rule the world. Now Bob has to deal with the mess of time loops and temporal entanglement.

Oh, sweet delicious time travelly goodness. This story is awesome. Watching Bob fumble his way through encounters with himself and stable time loops that ask "where did any of this begin?" is well worth the time. T
Stephen Gutowski
A wonderful short story for the sci-fi-minded. A pleasantly unique examination of the paradox of time travel that's sewn together in a most imaginative way.

An intriguing and quick read that I'd recommend to anybody who doesn't mind a narrative that may leave you a bit dizzy.
Fairly predictable, but it's in terms of paradox.
Onemore Fakefbpage
This Astounding Science Fiction is one of my prized possessions. It is a great little insight into the war years, the story rocks and I just had to own something special to remind me of all the enjoyment Robert Heinlein has given me.

FOR THE RECORD - it is published in Astounding Science Fiction 1941 under the alias Anson Macdonald. It was reprinted later under Robert Heinlein I believe.

My copy is not in good condition & has little real value..............except to me.
It was interesting to read this because it's vintage Heinlein, originally published in 1941. But it's hard to judge it on its own terms since so much more thoughtful work on time travel has been done since. The description says the story "plays with some of the inherent paradoxes" of time travel; and "play" with them is about all it does: there seems no attempt to make any of it make sense, or even to make what happens seem plausible.
A fun time-travel story I found when researching various time paradoxes (yes, I do that sort of thing for fun in my spare time).

This story combines an ontological paradox with a predestination paradox in an entertaining way, with the main character being too dense to sort it out for himself until the very end. I understand Heinlein needed that to sustain the paradox, because if the character were able to figure out what was going on before he experienced it, he wouldn't have experienced it. I wa
Seth Heasley
I read this one because I'd seen references to it while researching Heinlein's "-All You Zombies-" for an upcoming podcast about that story and the Ethan Hawke film Predestination adapted from it. This story is entertaining enough, but I went into it hoping it'd be set in the same universe as "Zombies." Alas, this was not the case. It's still nice and timey-wimey and stuff, but I have to admit I found it predictable, which is quite possibly a side-effect of having just read another very similar ...more
Jonathan Harbour
Good early novella from RAH about time travel. He seemed to be working out the possibilities of paradox while writing this. For 1941, this was extremely innovative thinking on his part. Concepts and ideas we take for granted today after 70 years of sci-fi were pioneered in this very story, possibly a few others at the time but I doubt it. The writing is excellent, especially for the time period, and it is still very readable today.

Note: Page count seems inconsistent on my Kindle. I believe the
I loved this! It's hard to believe it was first published in 1941. This was an engaging, high-concept story. It was a tad predictable, but only because so many other stories have been heavily influenced by this. It didn't take away any enjoyment.

I highly recommend this to any sci-fi fans who love time travel stories. This one is great.

Sharath Sriram
Given the fact that it is a short story, I think it is brilliant. It makes good use of the paradoxes and time travel in general and might make an average reader slightly confused. For those who love science-fiction and time travel, this is a must-read, a great book and a quick one too.
Marc Pastor
Tot i el to vodevilesc de la història, Heinlein fa un relat exemplar sobre viatges en el temps deterministes. És previsible però altament divertit. Per haver estat escrit el 1940, és avançadíssim a la seva época. Té alguna fuga a HG Wells i per moments m'ha recordat a Pedrolo.
Tami Lynn Andrew
Literally the story that created the "Bootstrap Paradox." So good. If anyone has any other Bootstrap/Ontological paradox books/movies, send em my way. They're my favorite.
Very interesting short story, and one of the first to properly make use of time travel paradoxes in which a character meets himself. The plot ended up influencing science-fiction as a whole. Early Heinlein at its most audacious, without many of the social themes that showed up in his later work. Oddly for Heinlein, his main character is a misogynist arsehole with no desire to better himself - also oddly for Heinlein, it's very soft sci-fi, and mathematics are presented as an esoteric field at be ...more
Circular logic and a very informal Hemingway-esque prose.
3.5 stars. A bit predictable, if you've read many time travel stories, but I'll be the first to say that this is more a reflection on me, reading the story nearly 75 years later. The story has some well-developed, classic ideas. I had to go back to review to catch more of the subtle details, which was nice.
Sep 18, 2012 Mick rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: sf
I think it's one of the greatest time-travel paradox stories ever, but the main flaw is that he tells the same situation several times from different angles. The 2nd and 3rd time you go through the same thing, you want to skip a few pages.
Adrian Hunter
the original time loop causality story. this is not a full book. it is a collection and title story is in several other collections. not counting it to my 2015 goal.
Mind blowing time travel short story. No nonsense, just gets right into it. Really enjoyed it and would have loved for it to be a full length novel.
fun, not too long.
Juan is currently reading it
Oct 06, 2015
Kristie H
Kristie H marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Yana marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
  • First Flight
  • Fire Watch (Oxford Time Travel, #0.5)
  • With Morning Comes Mistfall
  • Bloodchild: a short story
  • The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate
  • The Man Who Folded Himself
  • Houston, Houston, Do You Read?
  • . . . And Then There Were None
  • The Veldt
  • There Will Be Time
  • The Skull
  • Polynia
  • The Star
  • Conrad's Time Machine: A Prequel to the Adventures of Conrad Stargard (Cross-Time Engineer)
  • The Insects of Love
  • Destini incrociati  (La Straniera, #12)
  • Shambleau
  • The Best of Isaac Asimov (Doubleday science fiction)
Robert Anson Heinlein was an American novelist and science fiction writer. Often called "the dean of science fiction writers", he is one of the most popular, influential, and controversial authors of "hard science fiction".

He set a high standard for science and engineering plausibility and helped to raise the genre's standards of literary quality. He was the first SF writer to break into mainstre
More about Robert A. Heinlein...
Stranger in a Strange Land Starship Troopers The Moon is a Harsh Mistress Time Enough for Love The Puppet Masters

“In Wilson's scale of evaluations breakfast rated just after life itself and ahead of the chance of immortality.” 10 likes
“You are telling me that I did something because I was going to do something.”
“Well, didn’t you? You were there.”
“No, I didn’t—no… well, maybe I did, but it didn’t feel like it.”
“Why should you expect it to? It was something totally new to your experience.”
“But… but—” Wilson took a deep breath and got control of himself. Then he reached back into his academic philosophical concepts and produced the notion he had been struggling to express. “It denies all reasonable theories of causation. You would have me believe that causation can be completely circular. I went through because I came back from going through to persuade myself to go through. That’s silly.”
“Well, didn’t you?”