Start by marking “Horse Play” as Want to Read:
Horse Play

Horse Play (Churchminster #5)

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  193 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Churchminster village - picturesque, quaint, sleepy - OR NOT...

A place where women know exactly what they want, and it's not cream tea with the vicar.

A place where anything can happen . . . so be careful what you wish for.

And a place where the men had better behave . . . because the ladies won't take it lying down (well, not unless they want to!)
Published January 19th 2012 by Corgi (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Horse Play, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Horse Play

Best Crime Books & More
Oct 30, 2015 Best Crime Books & More rated it it was amazing
Jo Carnegie has written a fantastic series of books set in Churchminster. I have enjoyed them all but her last book Dirty Tricks was an absolute corker. I was looking forward to the release of Horse Play. At a meaty 608 pages I certainly had something to get my teeth in to.

As usual with the Churchminster books you see the familiar faces that have appeared in the other books. Although that is the case, you certainly don't have top read the others and this could be read as a stand alone book. Alth
Hannah
Nathalie
May 04, 2012 Nathalie rated it liked it
I'm not too sure what to make of this book. It has took me weeks to finally finish it, and it has been a struggle I must admit. It took me ages to get into the book unfortunately and I found myself choosing to do other things than read - very unusual for me. I wasn't sure if this was just because I have been really busy with crafting lately but actually I started a Fiona O'Brien book the same day I finished Horseplay, and I have already read about half of it!

For some reason, I found this latest
Louise Graham
Feb 24, 2013 Louise Graham rated it it was amazing
Having read all the other Churchminster books by Jo, I was very excited to be reading Horse Play and I have to say it is just as good as all the others. Whilst it contains the same characters and locations as the pervious books, it would stand alone as a story on its own, you wouldn’t have had to read the pervious books to understand it …. however, you’d be mad not to read them all!

Brilliantly well written in a style that is very similar to Jilly Cooper. 600 pages packed full of humour, drama, h
Nicola Hession-Kent
May 14, 2015 Nicola Hession-Kent rated it it was amazing
The fifth and last in the Churchminster series (although I hope that they will be back). This for me was the best book out of the series. Set completely in the Cotswolds, whereas some of the previous books were in London. My heart is in the countryside, and with horses, so this suited me down to the ground.
There were parts of the book that I was rooting for people and horses, but then other parts where I could have cried, especially with the evil Sebastian.
Yet another great read, where I have t
Samantha Janning
Jan 06, 2013 Samantha Janning rated it really liked it
I received a copy of Horse Play by Jo Carnegie in exchange for an honest review.

I was a bit hesitant to start this book because the thickness scared me. I had a print copy, and I imagined it taking me weeks to be able to finish this lengthy book. I was pleasantly surprised when I was able to dive right into the plot and really enjoy the story, not having to worry about timing issues because I was engrossed in the character’s lives. There are a lot of characters that get their POV time in this n
Sheli
Jan 28, 2012 Sheli rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, 2012
This book is another installment in the lives of the residents of Churchminster and we catch up with some old friends.

Although I enjoyed it, this book was not my favourite in the series as I felt it lacked some of the fresness of the previous books. I also found it a bit hard to get into and overly descriptive in some places.

Overall, a good story and it would be a good holiday read for when you are sat in the sun. There are a few new characters in this book, although I would like a little more
Jo-Anne Smith
Aug 05, 2015 Jo-Anne Smith rated it it was amazing
this is a very funny book, loved it :-)
Rachel Caldwell
Aug 22, 2015 Rachel Caldwell rated it really liked it
enjoyable read. funny loveable characters and the ending wasn't too cheesy, sweet!
Rachel
Feb 16, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it
It wasn't a bad read actually for a chicklit type. The author had done a fair amount of research in a field she's not familiar with, there were a few minor errors with content.... My biggest gripe with the story is the way it ended, it was 95% build up and 5% of quick wrap it up type writing, which was a bit of a disappointment. I don't know if this means there will be a follow up, quite possibly, but I did get to the end and think.... oh? and? That said it wouldn't stop me reading another of he ...more
Beth Lloyd
Feb 18, 2012 Beth Lloyd rated it liked it
I love reading Jo Carnegie, for light, easy, funny chick-lit. This one was good, but not as good, funny or gripping as the previous Churchminster tales.
At the risk of sounding prudish, too much sex, not enough character development, or humour.
It was a light fun read, but could have been better. Jo does however remain one of my favourite trashy chick-lit authors.
Lisa
Aug 29, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it
It's trashy, it's predictable, it's cheesy, it's full of sex, it's full of swearing, it's full of posh people, it's superficial, it's corny, it's cliched AND I loved it!!!
It was a brilliant and funny read (well, actually I listened to it on audio).
Sometimes you just want to shake your head at your book and shout 'roaringly super fun dahrrr-linnng'!!!!
Vicky Wells
Sep 05, 2013 Vicky Wells rated it liked it
I enjoyed it, it was quite light and fresh but there were a tad too many characters with their own stories going on, it was getting a bit too much and took away from going deeper. Kizzy and javiers story for example could have been even deeper as could of calypso and Archie's story, I didn't care for the rest!
Caroline
Jan 01, 2015 Caroline rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up-reading
Stopped reading round page 100, very boring....
Amanda Jackson
Sep 26, 2012 Amanda Jackson rated it it was amazing
Loved it, had me laughing for the whole 3 hours it took to read. Definitely a book you cannot put down. I will be buying more from this author. A great view of upper class england and how life isnt always a bed of roses, even if you could afford a bed made of roses.
Ivana
Mar 21, 2012 Ivana added it
Shelves: dnf
Marking this one as read, but in fact it's a did-not finish. Almost 300 pages into it, weeks of struggle, I admit defeat. I's just pointless to read on. Nothing happened, lots of space used up for a big nothing. This is not a book for me.
Jane
May 04, 2012 Jane rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
Great book, made me laugh so much at times.. If you have ever lived in a village you will enjoy the characters and story..
This can be read as a lone story or as part of the Churchminster series.
Marcia
Jan 09, 2013 Marcia rated it it was ok
I picked it up because of the name and I like stories with horses. The story just didn't engage me.
Bryony
Feb 16, 2012 Bryony added it
Pretty good. In the vein of Jilly Cooper but without the class. Still fun but not as funny.
Alex Martin
Jul 18, 2012 Alex Martin rated it it was amazing
loved this, will have to read the rest of them, chick lit!
Elinor Day
Apr 04, 2012 Elinor Day rated it liked it
It was okay
Mrs M D A Weeks
Mrs M D A Weeks rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2016
Bridget Torkington
Bridget Torkington rated it really liked it
May 22, 2016
Heather Selig
Heather Selig marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Jayne Harris
Jayne Harris is currently reading it
May 05, 2016
Cressida Schofield
Cressida Schofield marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Jemma Marie
Jemma Marie rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2016
Jenn
Jenn added it
Apr 16, 2016
Anouska Stacey
Anouska Stacey marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Nettya
Nettya added it
Apr 13, 2016
  • Lots Of Love (Lodes Chronicles, #1)
  • Pear Shaped
  • All She Wants
  • Country Loving (Talyton St George, #7)
  • Men at Work
  • Love is a Four Letter Word
  • The Girl From World's End
  • The Accidental Proposal (Ed & Dan, #3)
  • Construct A Couple (Serenity Holland, #2)
  • Wicked! (Rutshire Chronicles #8)
  • Luxury
  • White Wedding
  • All The Single Ladies
  • Rumours
  • Kismetology
Jo Carnegie lives in London and Cardiff. She spent her early career as a fledgling reporter on Bedfordshire’s Biggleswade Chronicle before working at more! and Glamour magazine, and most recently as deputy-editor of heat.

Jo has interviewed stars from George Clooney, Justin Timberlake and Will Smith to Posh and Becks and Kylie Minogue. She now writes features for heat and is the author of the Churc
More about Jo Carnegie...

Churchminster (5 books)
  • Country Pursuits (Churchminster #1)
  • Naked Truths