Start by marking “The Bike Lesson” as Want to Read:
The Bike Lesson

The Bike Lesson (The Berenstain Bears Beginner Books)

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  919 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
Papa teaches Junior to ride a bicycle.
Published by Random House, Inc. (first published January 1st 1964)

To ask other readers questions about The Bike Lesson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bike Lesson

Oceans of Trouble by Travis CaseyForbidden Trouble by Travis CaseyMy Man Jeeves by P.G. WodehouseThree Men in a Boat by Jerome K. JeromeWe Got Zombies On The Lawn Again, Ma by Donnie  Smith
Funniest Fiction Books You've Ever Read
88th out of 103 books — 133 voters
The Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienThe Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsThe Odyssey by HomerThe Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
Best Fictional Journey
138th out of 199 books — 88 voters

More lists with this book...

Amara
Have you ever seen the Berenstain Bears like this:

No? Then you haven't seen the Berenstain Bears at their best. This was the era before every book tried to shove a ham-fisted moral down children's throats. This was the time before Papa Bear became a belligerent asshole. This was the era when Brother Bear was called Small Bear because Sister Bear hadn't been born yet.

If only this could have lasted.

Just take a moment to compare these two covers:

The image on the left bears the original character de
Dee-Ann
Jan 13, 2014 Dee-Ann rated it really liked it
I loved these bears when I was a child ... but for some reason my boys dont like them as much as we did. Still, my boys were mesmorised by the story last night and even when my 12 year oold got called away, when he returned he wanted me to go back to the place before he had left.

This is a simple funny rhyming story of all the things you should not do when riding a bike, as the father goes to show.
I just love Dr Seuss books ... they will always have a special place in my heart. Timeless.
Davette
Mar 28, 2015 Davette rated it it was amazing
I just read this book for the first time yesterday. I found an old copy in almost perfect condition a few months ago. While reading it to my son, I couldn't stop laughing. Wonderful read!
Risa
Nov 07, 2012 Risa rated it liked it
As someone who isn't really a fan of The Berenstain Bears, I actually found myself enjoying this book as I was reading it with my two-year-old nephew, because he was enjoying it. Full of cheesy rhyming lines, this book is about the lessons that Papa Bear teaches to Small Bear upon buying, but before giving, him a new bike. The outcomes of the lessons are somewhat comical, which makes reading it almost bearable. (Oh, the bad puns never end.) Find your favorite small human and enjoy this light rea ...more
Sam Gaume
Apr 26, 2014 Sam Gaume rated it liked it
Shelves: tchlrn-307
The bike lesson does not provide a moral, but it does touch base on an important time in a lot of kid’s lives: learning to ride a bike. Papa teaches his son how to ride by pushing him down a hill after a while and he figures it out on the go. I know I learned in a similar manner so it was fun to see the similar story. Before the hill though, there are a couple fun tips of how to approach showing a kid how to properly ride a bike. Papa demonstrates and works with his son during this whole process ...more
Mark
Aug 04, 2016 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it, enjoyed
This was one of my favorite books as a child. I even took it to read to the class in 8th grade as an assignment to read a children's book.
Gizelle
Papa Bear bought a bike for Small Bear to learn to use. In the attempt, Papa Bear tries to show him lessons of how to ride the bike by having himself ride it. Although some lessons messed up and did not go well, Small Bear understood what NOT to do because of his dad’s mistakes. By the end of the book, Small bear was riding Papa Bear back home with injuries from his bike lessons.
This book is a funny and great book to read to a child that is in the process of learning how to ride a bike. Even th
David Sarkies
Apr 12, 2014 David Sarkies rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Little Bear gets a new bike
3 August 2013

I must admit that when I was a kid I loved the Berenstain bears and from what I can gather from Goodreads, so did a lot of other people. There has been mentioned that these older books are much better than the newer books, but I personally do not know the difference, maybe because I was not really exposed to the two different books, or maybe I had only ever dined on the classics. This particular book I would have to suggest is a classic.
Papa Bear buys Li
Amber
May 07, 2015 Amber added it
I read this and other Berenstain books repeatedly as a child. This one was my favorite because I found all the silly predicaments Papa Bear got into hilarious. In adulthood, I still like some things about these books, other things not so much. One of the bigger things I don't care for is that they often seem to make Papa Bear out to be rather foolish, while Mama is usually the wise one. I think that's worth discussing as these books are read w/a child, at least.
Sudha Neelakantan
Love the book but kindle format is abysmal

the pictures are tiny on a 8.9" HDX and you have to double click.each page to increase the size to about half the screen. then to get to the next page you have to x out the zoom, then swipe.also you can't see the text in zoomed view. so you get to see either the pic at halfway normal size or the text but not both. awful!!!
Morgan
This is a great book about overcoming obstacles. It will be easy for some of the students to relate to because maybe at this age they are beginning to learn how to ride their bike. they can write about this experience and how they overcame this difficult time in their life.
Stephanie Moran
Loved this story. It was funny and cute. I really really really loved the end where Papa Bear reminds his son to ride on the right hand side of the road -- I think some adults need to read this so they can be safe when riding their bikes!
My daughter read this out loud to us. It was simple enough for her to not get frustrated, but allowed her to practice some words she wasn't completely familiar with. We got this from the library, and I am wondering why we don't have more of these original Berens
Rosa Cline
Jun 04, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
This is one of the original Berenstain Bears books the illustrations are a bit different than the children are used to in the cartoons. But the rhyming lines are fun and the adventures that Papa and Little Bear get into are fun to read and listen to throughout the book.
Sri
Apr 22, 2016 Sri rated it really liked it
Maknya bacain, anaknya ngawasin :D. Sekali lagi, si anak terkekeh-kekeh menertawakan tingkah polah konyol Papa Bear. Terutama pas Papa Bear ga bisa bedain mana right hand dan mana left hand. Kata si anak, "aku bisa Buk!" Wkwkwk, ok deh.
Tracy Poff
The Bike Lesson is another early Berenstain Bears book, this one from 1964. Like The Big Honey Hunt, we see Papa Bear insisting he knows best, and coming out the worse for it.

The story is simple: Papa Bear has gotten a bicycle for Small Bear, but before he'll let Small Bear ride it, he wants to give him some lessons. Of course, it looks like Papa Bear is in need of lessons himself! He tries to cover up his failures ("This is what/you should not do./Now let his be/a lesson to you."), but one wond
Shawn Thrasher
I like this book as a thoughtful period piece (think about the roles of fathers on television in the 1950s and 1960s, and roles of fathers today, particularly the trope of the dumb dad in television commercials; now compare and contrast to these proto-Berenstain bears; discuss among yourselves). I also like this book because the proto-Berenstains were rad and cool. And there is a touch of nostalgia; everyone learned to read on at least one Berenstain Bears book. Modern Berenstain Beariana though ...more
Sophiya Bethea
May 09, 2016 Sophiya Bethea rated it it was amazing
It is a really funny and good book. I like How The pa bear was the won who was crashing. It is a good book. Also is is a awesome book too.
Jody
Feb 26, 2016 Jody rated it it was ok
I never read these as a child, and I may have enjoyed them more then. I'm not much of a fan, I have to say.
Heather
May 29, 2014 Heather rated it it was amazing
A great book, with great rhyming, and the kids always snuggle closer when I read it.
Beyond the Pages
Apr 17, 2014 Beyond the Pages rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
We simply love these stories. This is one of our favorites.
Bradley Stone
" Mommy I love the Berenstein Bears, they are my Favorite"
Erica
Mar 04, 2015 Erica rated it it was amazing
2 year-old loved this rhyming silly story.
Valerie Patterson
Mar 28, 2015 Valerie Patterson rated it it was amazing
Great little story for a year old.
Elizabeth
Jan 28, 2015 Elizabeth rated it liked it
3.5
Vicki
Nov 21, 2013 Vicki rated it it was amazing
This is my all time favorite Berenstain Bear book to read aloud to a group. It would be best received by children 5 years or older if reading in a group. This book always gets some laughs and the younger ones can relate to how hard it is to learn how to ride a 2 wheel bike.

While Papa Bear is not the best teacher, he certainly does an excellent job of what not to do!
Shelli
Jul 25, 2012 Shelli rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Yet again another Berenstain Bear book where Papa Bear gives a lesson in what not to do. A great book to share with your kiddos who are learning to ride bikes or are already seasoned riders. Ask the children can explain what is wrong with Papa Bears Bike Safety Rules? Or at least with how he is demonstrating them.
Samantha
Brother Bear gets a bike, but Papa Bear has a few lessons to teach him before he gets a chance to ride it. Each lesson Papa Bear attempts to teach Brother Bear blows up in his face adding humor to the story.

Rhyming text makes for a good read aloud. Recommended for grades PreK-2.
Elizabeth S
Aug 21, 2011 Elizabeth S rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: c-beginner
A very early Berenstain Bears book, before the characters had the familiar look we all know and love now. I enjoy how the book takes us from one silly Papa Bear moment to another even more silly, and does it over and over again. The rhythm and rhymes of the book are fun to read aloud.
T Crockett
Jun 29, 2015 T Crockett rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Great repetition for young readers. This one feels a bit like a Dr. Seuss. There's great opportunity to use different voices if you're reading aloud and the images are really funny. This one had the 4 year old in hysterics. Both the 4 and 2 year old wanted it several times today
Dolly
Jun 11, 2009 Dolly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2009
Our girls enjoy the Berenstain Bears books and this one had them giggling the whole time I read it. If you include the fact that they didn't wear a helmet (our girls pointed that out right away), it's actually a pretty decent safety lesson on what not to do when riding a bike.
  • Baa-Choo!
  • Thomas and the School Trip (Thomas & Friends)
  • Come Over to My House
  • Henry and Mudge Get the Cold Shivers (Henry and Mudge, #7)
  • Summer (Beginner Books)
  • Good-Night, Owl!
  • Frog and Fly
  • Biscuit's New Trick
  • Be Quiet, Mike!
  • The Horse in Harry's Room
  • Nate the Great and the Sticky Case
  • The Fat Cat Sat on the Mat
  • There's a Hippopotamus on our Roof Eating Cake
  • Get Well, Good Knight
More about Stan Berenstain...

The Berenstain Bears Beginner Books (8 books)
  • The Big Honey Hunt