Start by marking “Breakfast at Darcy's” as Want to Read:
Breakfast at Darcy's

Breakfast at Darcy's

3.85  ·  Rating Details ·  3,685 Ratings  ·  226 Reviews

When Darcy McCall loses her beloved Aunt Molly, she doesn't expect any sort of inheritance - let alone a small island! Located off the west coast of Ireland, Tara hasn't been lived on for years, but according to Molly's will, Darcy must stay there for twelve months in order to fully inherit. It's a big shock. And she's even more shocked to hear that she needs to persuade a

Published (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Breakfast at Darcy's, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breakfast at Darcy's

Brittany
Seriously amazing book!
I found the character's all interesting and unpredictable at times which made it all more interesting.
The book had few exciting points in it but the storyline was amazing and I was hooked the whole way through!
I would definitely recommend this book to everyone!
Kirsty (Book - Love - Bug)
I was absolutely captivated by this book. Now, at this point, I have to hold my hands up and admit that I’m a little biased in that I adore everything to do with Ireland. Having Irish family and having the hots for the Irish accent are both contributors to this! Yet whilst I can’t be 100% sure, I do think even without the Irish setting I’d adore this book.

I’ve read a couple of other reviews on this book and a few say the main character, Darcy, isn’t realistic. Now I just don’t get this – she lik
Rea Cobb
Nov 27, 2011 Rea Cobb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

One of the books which really played on my mind last year was Ali McNamara’s debut novel From Notting Hill With Love...Actually. It was the one book I was undecided about so when I heard that Ali had a new book due to be released I couldn’t wait to get my hands on a copy to see how my opinion differs with this book.

Plot
When Darcy McCall loses her beloved Aunt Molly, she doesn’t expect any sort of inheritance - let alone a small island! Located off the west coast of Ireland, Tara hasn’t been live
Giornata_di_sole
Leggendo il libro la prima domanda che sorge spontanea e’: perche’ e’ stato scelto come titolo “Colazione da Darcy”?? Nessuno dei personaggi fa colazione a casa di Darcy e, per di piu’, lei stessa non ha l’abitudine di fare colazione! Ovviamente qualcuno potrebbe obiettare che ad un certo punto della storia Dermot invita Darcy a fermarsi a casa sua per colazione…pero’ e’ LUI che invita LEI! Questo e’ forse sufficiente a giustificare il titolo??? Secondo me no!
I piu’ fiduciosi potranno, allora,
Karen
Apr 03, 2017 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. Another charming book. Love the setting Irish island of Tara Darcy inherits the island from her aunt with one condition she has to live on island & find 15 other people to join her & sit up a community. The book is filled with characters & their daily interactions on the island Charming ,fun read that lets you escape
Elisabetta
Aug 02, 2012 Elisabetta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Quando ho iniziato a leggere questo libro mi sono venuti in mente tutti i romanzi della serie "I love shopping" dove la protagonista non riesce a resistere alla tentazione di comprare tutto ciò che le piace che coincide solitamente con tutto ciò che è di marca e terribilmente costoso, nonostante il fatto che in realtà non possa permetterselo..
E cosa mi sono ritrovata in questo libro (solo all'inizio però) se non quna copia esatta alla "I love shopping? E poi è terribilmente superficiale... E lo
Lilee White
I actually really enjoyed this book, the setting on the isle of tara was absolutely breath-taking.

The main characters, Darcy and Dermot were really entertaining and the little moments they shared were totally priceless.

# Dermonts deep brown eyes scan my face. 'I disagree, Darcy. Every day we spend on this island I think I'm getting to know you just that little bit better.' #

# I get up from the bed and begin to undo the buttons Dermot's already done up. His chest begins to move in and out a littl
Emanuela
Mar 11, 2017 Emanuela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-miei-preferiti
Darei 5 stelline se non fosse per il nome che poco, per non dire nulla, c'entra con la trama e lo sviluppo che avrà la storia.
Nikki
Oct 30, 2011 Nikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed at JudgingCovers.co.uk

After thoroughly enjoying Ali McNamara’s debut novel, From Notting Hill with Love… Actually, I was excited to receive a copy of her new book prior to its release. The blurb for Breakfast At Darcy’s didn’t instantly appeal to me in the same way as the previous book did (rom-coms grab my attention far more than the potentially far-fetched idea of inheriting a deserted island)… but it turned out to be a lovely, heartwarming read.

The book begins with Darcy attending he
Carol W
Jul 29, 2011 Carol W rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Darcy McCall is a city girl working for a fashion publication when she is given the challenge by way of her Aunt Molly's last will and testament. She is to live on a remote island off Ireland for a whole year to inherit her Aunt's estate. Not only that, she has to convince 14 other people to come and live there too.

This seems like a failure from the off, as Darcy is more used to busy city life, high heels, designer clothes, makeup and wine bars. How could she possibly survive on a remote, desert
Sara
I picked this book just because I quite enjoyed reading From Notting Hill with Love Actually and from Notting Hill to New York with Love actually (the first more than the latter, but that is another review).
In those two I thought the writing style was good, better than the average chick lit; I had grown fond of the main character, which is not saying little about Ali McNamara writing skills.

However, this was a big disappointment. I am not able to write a full review of the book because UNFORTUNA
Pythia
Premessa: ultimamente in libreria si trovano titoli sempre uguali e copertine pressoché identiche. Le trame si assomigliano pure tra di loro - amori finiti, lavori persi, cambiamenti, nuovi amori. Uno non sa che scegliere, non ci sono elementi per decidere se un romanzo valga la pena di essere letto piuttosto che un altro - se si affida solamente a quanto riportato sul libro stesso. Perché in realtà le cose non stanno così.
Come in questo caso, che fa supporre la solita storia all'acqua di rose,
Luise
Dec 24, 2014 Luise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All in all this is a really nice story. I liked how Darcy managed to start a whole new life on this island and how the story turned out in the end.
What bothered me was the whole spiritual stuff. I understand that there are a lot of mystic old stories and "spirits" around this island. But there are too many spiritual people coincidentally meeting there. Especially bad is Megan - she is 11. One second she talks mystic and wise stuff like a 80 years old granny and the next moment she runs around li
Nele
Dec 04, 2015 Nele rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
3.5 stars - one extra star because of the audiobook (with great accents and intonation)
I wouldn't have liked it that much if I'd read it.
For the story line: Meh.
Some of the chapters ended abruptly, which I didn't like. However, I did like the characters, although Darcy was pretty daft in the first part of the book. Jeez, blonde bimbo much.

But if you're a big fan of chicklit, it's probably to your taste.
Book-shelf Shelf
Nov 27, 2011 Book-shelf Shelf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't hardly believe that this was only Ali's second book! Ali has slotted straight into the publishing world and her books are right up there with the best. Breakfast at Darcy's is no exception, with all the twists and turns, Ali brings a brilliant story to life and entertains the reader to the core. The Irish facts at the back of the book just add to the content and make a reason for keeping such a good book on your book shelf to read over and over.
Lucy
Jul 10, 2012 Lucy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is one of the best books I have ever read. I read it quite a while ago now but I have never cried so much at the ending of a book than this one.I fell in love with the characters and the ideas and storyline are so different and special. I will definatley be reading this book again and again!!
Noor Ashadawi

I picked up this book bc I loved Ali's first book " from notting hill with love actually " but I was honestly disappointed. The story is average and it seemed slow at the beginning and really rushed near the end. The characters are well developed and relatable like The other novel but it wasn't funny at all.
Pamela
Apr 25, 2014 Pamela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
4.5 stars - really liked the magical feel of the book and the characters. A very fast read! The cover and title made me think she would be opening a cafe of some sort, but that was something very minor.
Patricia
Cute, fluffy, listened to it, so a good baking / knitting background.
Umm
Jul 20, 2015 Umm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I totally loved this book. I couldn't stop till I finished. I actually kept laughing out loud. I would read other books by the author when I get through my tbr list inshaAllah.
Rosy
Nov 05, 2011 Rosy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review was written for The Review Diaries: http://reviewdiaries.blogspot.com/201...

‘From Notting Hill with Love… Actually’ was a true gem of a debut at the end of 2010 from Ali McNamara. It remains the best chick lit I have ever read – smart, funny, brilliantly written with a fabulously unique twist, and with beautifully swoon worthy romance.
As a result ‘Breakfast at Darcy’s’ – McNamara’s second novel, was always going to have to work incredibly hard to live up to her first.

And it comes so
Georgiana 1792
Non prendete lucciole per lanterne

Ispirata dai suoi numerosi viaggi in Irlanda e dalle tradizioni e leggende locali, la McNamara sforna questo fresco e spensierato romanzo chick-lit in cui la protagonista, Darcy McCall eredita dall’affettuosa zia Molly nientemeno che un’isoletta al largo dalle coste occidentali dell’Irlanda. Un’isola che — sebbene nel libro si chiami Tara, proprio come la collina delle leggende irlandesi e anche la magione di Rossella O’Hara in Via col Vento — è identificabile c
Michelle
2.5 stars rounded up. Didn't connect to this one like her others.
Raffaella Faccin
Piacevolmente sopresa. Uno di quei libri da cui non ti aspetti niente e poi ti ritrovi con il naso incollato alle pagine per la scrittura scorrevole e la trama intrigante. Davvero Bello.
Leah
Last year, Ali McNamara’s debut novel From Notting Hill With Love… Actually was my favourite book. It captured me from the first page and wouldn’t let go until I’d finished. Debut novels rarely do that, but From Notting Hill With Love… Actually was so, so special. So when I heard Ali’s second book was in the offing and that it would take place on an island just off the coast of Ireland, I was intrigued because it sounded just as quirky and original as FNHWLA. My proof copy arrived about a month ...more
Chelsey
The first 2/3 of the book was fantastic. And then, it sort of went down hill.
The author started throwing in all these weird New Age elements, that were off putting to me. I personally am not into that sort of stuff (healing crystals, reiki, et al), and thought that a lot of it could have been left out. I don't really see how those things ultimately helped Darcy to achieve healing.

Healing past hurts/wrongs is a huge theme throughout the book, and I think that the relationships built between the
Blake16
May 08, 2012 Blake16 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Darcy McCall… bella, alla moda, con un lavoro che la soddisfa, con l’hobby dello shopping e con svariati estratti conto da pagare e che in realtà vorrebbe tanto ignorare.
Dalla vita non si aspetta un granché. Si ritiene fortunata, pensa che quello che ha le basti… certo, potrebbe fare volentieri a meno delle angherie della sua bellissima e superba collega… o dei lavori sciatti che le assegna sempre la sua caporedattrice…
Ma… ehi!!! Non si può avere mica tutto dalla vita!!!
Ma Darcy non potrà mai p
Ciaradh
Recensione anche sul blog: http://ikigai.altervista.org/colazion...

Ho deciso di leggere questo libro perché avevo voglia di qualcosa in italiano e chi mi ispirasse relax e tranquillità e non ci sono andata troppo lontana. Colazione da Darcy è una storia leggera, che si legge senza troppe aspettative e che regala quell’atmosfera di tranquillità che si cerca in una lettura veloce.

L’idea è molto bella, ma sviluppata in maniera non ottimale. L’idea dell’eredità, di far cambiare la protagonista graz
Christine
Jul 31, 2013 Christine rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
Ali McNamara has quickly become one of my favorite chick lit authors. Her stories never cease to keep me laughing, romanced and entertained. Thankfully, Breakfast at Darcy's was no exception.

I will admit that I had to warm to Darcy, but this is kind of the point of the story. At the start, she is a self-absorbed, label obsessed, glory hunter... and I didn't really care for her very much. That is until she goes to live on Tara, the Irish island that has been left to her in her Aunt Molly's will.
Abigail Brown
  • Miracle on Regent Street
  • It Started With A Kiss
  • An Autumn Crush
  • All I Want for Christmas
  • Last Christmas
  • Christmas at the Cupcake Café (At the Cupcake Café, #2)
  • Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?
  • The Secret of Happy Ever After
  • Katy Carter Wants a Hero (Katy Carter, #1)
  • The Beach Café (The Beach Café, #1)
  • (Un)like a Virgin
  • Twelve Days of Christmas
  • A Cottage by the Sea
  • Ten Years On
  • The Night Before Christmas
  • Pictures of Lily
  • It Happened in Paris

“Quando sei venuta a Tara la prima volta, eri nascosta dietro uno spesso strato di make-up, con quelle sciocche unghie, i capelli biondi tinti e i vestiti firmati. Era la Darcy che volevi mostrare al mondo, la tua versione di Darcy. Quella che non poteva mai farsi male. Ma da quando sei qui ho potuto conoscere la vera Darcy, quella dietro la maschera, ed è molto più bella così, senza tutti quei travestimenti.” 0 likes