Start by marking “Breakfast at Darcy's” as Want to Read:
Breakfast at Darcy's

Breakfast at Darcy's

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  2,665 ratings  ·  180 reviews
When Darcy McCall loses her beloved Aunt Molly, she doesn't expect any sort of inheritance - let alone a small island! Located off the west coast of Ireland, Tara hasn't been lived on for years, but according to Molly's will, Darcy must stay there for twelve months in order to fully inherit. It's a big shock. And she's even more shocked to hear that she needs to persuade a ...more
Published (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Breakfast at Darcy's, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breakfast at Darcy's

Brittany
Seriously amazing book!
I found the character's all interesting and unpredictable at times which made it all more interesting.
The book had few exciting points in it but the storyline was amazing and I was hooked the whole way through!
I would definitely recommend this book to everyone!
Kirsty (Book - Love - Bug)
I was absolutely captivated by this book. Now, at this point, I have to hold my hands up and admit that I’m a little biased in that I adore everything to do with Ireland. Having Irish family and having the hots for the Irish accent are both contributors to this! Yet whilst I can’t be 100% sure, I do think even without the Irish setting I’d adore this book.

I’ve read a couple of other reviews on this book and a few say the main character, Darcy, isn’t realistic. Now I just don’t get this – she lik
Rea Sinfield

One of the books which really played on my mind last year was Ali McNamara’s debut novel From Notting Hill With Love...Actually. It was the one book I was undecided about so when I heard that Ali had a new book due to be released I couldn’t wait to get my hands on a copy to see how my opinion differs with this book.

Plot
When Darcy McCall loses her beloved Aunt Molly, she doesn’t expect any sort of inheritance - let alone a small island! Located off the west coast of Ireland, Tara hasn’t been live
Giornata_di_sole
Leggendo il libro la prima domanda che sorge spontanea e’: perche’ e’ stato scelto come titolo “Colazione da Darcy”?? Nessuno dei personaggi fa colazione a casa di Darcy e, per di piu’, lei stessa non ha l’abitudine di fare colazione! Ovviamente qualcuno potrebbe obiettare che ad un certo punto della storia Dermot invita Darcy a fermarsi a casa sua per colazione…pero’ e’ LUI che invita LEI! Questo e’ forse sufficiente a giustificare il titolo??? Secondo me no!
I piu’ fiduciosi potranno, allora,
Elisabetta
Quando ho iniziato a leggere questo libro mi sono venuti in mente tutti i romanzi della serie "I love shopping" dove la protagonista non riesce a resistere alla tentazione di comprare tutto ciò che le piace che coincide solitamente con tutto ciò che è di marca e terribilmente costoso, nonostante il fatto che in realtà non possa permetterselo..
E cosa mi sono ritrovata in questo libro (solo all'inizio però) se non quna copia esatta alla "I love shopping? E poi è terribilmente superficiale... E lo
Lilee White
I actually really enjoyed this book, the setting on the isle of tara was absolutely breath-taking.

The main characters, Darcy and Dermot were really entertaining and the little moments they shared were totally priceless.

# Dermonts deep brown eyes scan my face. 'I disagree, Darcy. Every day we spend on this island I think I'm getting to know you just that little bit better.' #

# I get up from the bed and begin to undo the buttons Dermot's already done up. His chest begins to move in and out a littl
Nikki
Reviewed at JudgingCovers.co.uk

After thoroughly enjoying Ali McNamara’s debut novel, From Notting Hill with Love… Actually, I was excited to receive a copy of her new book prior to its release. The blurb for Breakfast At Darcy’s didn’t instantly appeal to me in the same way as the previous book did (rom-coms grab my attention far more than the potentially far-fetched idea of inheriting a deserted island)… but it turned out to be a lovely, heartwarming read.

The book begins with Darcy attending he
Pythia
Premessa: ultimamente in libreria si trovano titoli sempre uguali e copertine pressoché identiche. Le trame si assomigliano pure tra di loro - amori finiti, lavori persi, cambiamenti, nuovi amori. Uno non sa che scegliere, non ci sono elementi per decidere se un romanzo valga la pena di essere letto piuttosto che un altro - se si affida solamente a quanto riportato sul libro stesso. Perché in realtà le cose non stanno così.
Come in questo caso, che fa supporre la solita storia all'acqua di rose,
Carol W
Darcy McCall is a city girl working for a fashion publication when she is given the challenge by way of her Aunt Molly's last will and testament. She is to live on a remote island off Ireland for a whole year to inherit her Aunt's estate. Not only that, she has to convince 14 other people to come and live there too.

This seems like a failure from the off, as Darcy is more used to busy city life, high heels, designer clothes, makeup and wine bars. How could she possibly survive on a remote, desert
Sara
I picked this book just because I quite enjoyed reading From Notting Hill with Love Actually and from Notting Hill to New York with Love actually (the first more than the latter, but that is another review).
In those two I thought the writing style was good, better than the average chick lit; I had grown fond of the main character, which is not saying little about Ali McNamara writing skills.

However, this was a big disappointment. I am not able to write a full review of the book because UNFORTUNA
Book-shelf Shelf
I couldn't hardly believe that this was only Ali's second book! Ali has slotted straight into the publishing world and her books are right up there with the best. Breakfast at Darcy's is no exception, with all the twists and turns, Ali brings a brilliant story to life and entertains the reader to the core. The Irish facts at the back of the book just add to the content and make a reason for keeping such a good book on your book shelf to read over and over.
Noor Ashadawi

I picked up this book bc I loved Ali's first book " from notting hill with love actually " but I was honestly disappointed. The story is average and it seemed slow at the beginning and really rushed near the end. The characters are well developed and relatable like The other novel but it wasn't funny at all.
Hilary Audrey
Ero più che propensa a dare 5 stelle a questo libro, avendolo trovato carino, piacevole ed anche divertente fino a poco più di metà. Andando avanti con la lettura, i capitoli finali mi sono risultati noiosi e ho avuto come l'impressione che l'autrice si sia dilungata un po' troppo in alcune parti. Inoltre, mi aspettavo che la storia tra Darcy e Dermot sfociasse in qualcosa di passionale e coinvolgete! Ho aspettato un loro bacio, un loro gesto, UN QUALCOSA per tutto il libro..ma niente da fare.

Ca
Lucy
This book is one of the best books I have ever read. I read it quite a while ago now but I have never cried so much at the ending of a book than this one.I fell in love with the characters and the ideas and storyline are so different and special. I will definatley be reading this book again and again!!
Justine Navarro
Jun 15, 2014 Justine Navarro rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Sophie Kinsella and Rainbow Rowell (they all have the same genre!)
Recommended to Justine by: A high school friend
This is a story of a London Mag writer who lost in touch with her past Aunt Molly but was left with an island on the west coast of Ireland as an inheritance! The thing is, she can only fully inherit it IF she lives on the Island of Tara for a year - with a bunch of villagers whom she must persuade to settle there. It was a huge sacrifice on her part (abandoning her glam and stylish English life for a basic Irish (and island-ish) one. But when all's been set and everyone's coping, she finally fin ...more
Pamela
4.5 stars - really liked the magical feel of the book and the characters. A very fast read! The cover and title made me think she would be opening a cafe of some sort, but that was something very minor.
Trish
This book was quite disappointing. We follow the main character Darcy on her journey to inherent loads of money. She makes lots of friends, everyone likes her, the guys swoon over her, and she miraculously thinks of answers for all her problems.

None of the characters have any depth. They were thrown together for the sake of the story and they happen to be perfect fits for the new island life.

I was wanting something light-hearted and sweet to read and it was more of a chore. The only redeeming
Patricia
Cute, fluffy, listened to it, so a good baking / knitting background.
Dana
Breakfast At Darcy's was my second attempt to read a story where the plot centers around a character's attempt to establish a hotel. The novel followed Darcy to an uninhibited island off the coast of Ireland where, in order to receive her inheritance from an aunt, Darcy had to establish a community of at least fifteen people for a year. Darcy's personality and flare for designer clothing reminded me of one of my favorite chic lit heroines, Rebecca Bloomwood of the Shopaholic series. In that sens ...more
Cerulean
Ho letto questo libro circa due anni fa, però solo oggi mi ritrovo a voler scrivere la mia opinione su quello che fu definito un "caso editoriale ai primi posti della classifica dei libri più venduti in Inghilterra". Può essere che fosse primo in classifica, non controllai; ma definirlo un caso editoriale mi sembra una panzanata. Un caso editoriale de che?!
Sono passati quasi due anni ma ancora ricordo perfettamente, come se le avessi davanti agli occhi, quelle frasi che mi convinsero a comprare
Leah
Last year, Ali McNamara’s debut novel From Notting Hill With Love… Actually was my favourite book. It captured me from the first page and wouldn’t let go until I’d finished. Debut novels rarely do that, but From Notting Hill With Love… Actually was so, so special. So when I heard Ali’s second book was in the offing and that it would take place on an island just off the coast of Ireland, I was intrigued because it sounded just as quirky and original as FNHWLA. My proof copy arrived about a month ...more
Pages and Tea
We meet Darcy at her aunt’s funeral, where she discovers that she is the main beneficiary of the will. She doesn’t realise just how much this means until Niall, her solicitor, tells her that in fact she has the potential to inherit a small island off the Irish coast; the catch being there are certain conditions that must be met before this can happen.
She must go and live on the island, Tara, and establish a community of no less than 15 people, in order that she may experience the way of living t
Rosy
This review was written for The Review Diaries: http://reviewdiaries.blogspot.com/201...

‘From Notting Hill with Love… Actually’ was a true gem of a debut at the end of 2010 from Ali McNamara. It remains the best chick lit I have ever read – smart, funny, brilliantly written with a fabulously unique twist, and with beautifully swoon worthy romance.
As a result ‘Breakfast at Darcy’s’ – McNamara’s second novel, was always going to have to work incredibly hard to live up to her first.

And it comes so
Georgiana 1792
Non prendete lucciole per lanterne

Ispirata dai suoi numerosi viaggi in Irlanda e dalle tradizioni e leggende locali, la McNamara sforna questo fresco e spensierato romanzo chick-lit in cui la protagonista, Darcy McCall eredita dall’affettuosa zia Molly nientemeno che un’isoletta al largo dalle coste occidentali dell’Irlanda. Un’isola che — sebbene nel libro si chiami Tara, proprio come la collina delle leggende irlandesi e anche la magione di Rossella O’Hara in Via col Vento — è identificabile c
Marta Fabianek
Emma
I'm a bit torn with this book because it started off pretty good and I liked the originality of the idea behind setting up an island community. I liked the character of Dermot and it was all going quite well until big chunks of the story seemed to get glossed over. All of a sudden the plot changed to things like "4 months had passed and things were going well with me and (blank for the sake of not spoiling)" and I just didn't feel any connection with the characters because the only one you get a ...more
Blake16
Darcy McCall… bella, alla moda, con un lavoro che la soddisfa, con l’hobby dello shopping e con svariati estratti conto da pagare e che in realtà vorrebbe tanto ignorare.
Dalla vita non si aspetta un granché. Si ritiene fortunata, pensa che quello che ha le basti… certo, potrebbe fare volentieri a meno delle angherie della sua bellissima e superba collega… o dei lavori sciatti che le assegna sempre la sua caporedattrice…
Ma… ehi!!! Non si può avere mica tutto dalla vita!!!
Ma Darcy non potrà mai p
Chelsey
The first 2/3 of the book was fantastic. And then, it sort of went down hill.
The author started throwing in all these weird New Age elements, that were off putting to me. I personally am not into that sort of stuff (healing crystals, reiki, et al), and thought that a lot of it could have been left out. I don't really see how those things ultimately helped Darcy to achieve healing.

Healing past hurts/wrongs is a huge theme throughout the book, and I think that the relationships built between the
Chanpreet
Darcy McCall is stunned when she finds out she's been left an island by her beloved Aunt Molly and in order to get her inheritance from her aunt, she'll have to live there for a year in order to have access to the money her Aunt has left her. The problem? Besides having to rough it on an island with no amenities, Darcy's become used to a certain way of life, and she has priorities. But will they stay the same once she gets onto the island?

Usually when I have expectations of a book, I invariably
Abigail Brown
  • It Started With A Kiss
  • Miracle on Regent Street
  • A Winter Flame
  • The Beach Cafe
  • Christmas at the Cupcake Café (At the Cupcake Café, #2)
  • Wedding Tiers
  • The Secret of Happy Ever After
  • (Un)like a Virgin
  • Last Christmas
  • One Minute to Midnight
  • A Cottage by the Sea
  • One Perfect Summer (One Perfect #1)
  • Getting Away with It
  • Personally I Blame My Fairy Godmother
  • Katy Carter Wants a Hero
From Notting Hill with Love... Actually (Actually #1) From Notting Hill to New York... Actually (Actually #2) Step Back In Time From Notting Hill with Four Weddings . . . Actually (Actually, #3) The Little Flower Shop by the Sea