Start by marking “Incident On and Off a Mountain Road” as Want to Read:
Incident On and Off a Mountain Road

Incident On and Off a Mountain Road

"Easing her back against a tree trunk, she sat and listened, watching for that strange face, fearing it might abruptly burst through the limbs and brush, grinning its horrible teeth, or worse, that he might come up behind her, reach around the tree trunk with his knife and finish her in a bloody instant."

“Incident On and Off a Mountain Road” is one of Joe Lansdale’s most p
Published November 20th 2011 by Gere Donovan Press

To ask other readers questions about Incident On and Off a Mountain Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Incident On and Off a Mountain Road

Dracula by Bram StokerThe Exorcist by William Peter BlattySwan Song by Robert McCammonThe Haunting of Hill House by Shirley JacksonHeart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill
Best Horror Novels Not By King or Koontz
130th out of 451 books — 440 voters
Devil Inside by William   CookMine by Regina PuckettCrying Through Plastic Eyes by Regina PuckettA Life To Waste - A Novel of Violence and Horror by Andrew LennonIt Lives in The Basement by Sahara Foley
Best Horror Short Stories
217th out of 399 books — 308 voters

More lists with this book...

Zoeytron
Feb 27, 2014 Zoeytron rated it really liked it
Recommended to Zoeytron by: Marvin
A moonlit night, a psycho with a moon face and a yearning to add to his gruesome family are more than plenty to carry this short tale of horror. The ending was a bonus. The more I read of Lansdale, the better I like him.
Marvin
Dec 27, 2013 Marvin rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-fiction
Gere Donovan Press and Amazon are currently offering four short stories by Joe R. Lansdale to Kindle readers for free. The four tales are The Steel Machine, Bullets and Steel, Tight Little Stitches on a Dead Man's Back and this one, Incident On and Off a Mountain Road. "Incident" is one of Lansdale's earlier tales and one of his more famous short pieces mainly due to the Don Coscarelli directed episode of the TV series Masters of Horror. It is also one of Lansdale's most harrowing, evoking dist ...more
Pat
Nov 20, 2012 Pat rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
Holy Moly! What a fantastic story. I am between reading novels and wanted to read something quick for a change. I borrowed this story from my husband's Kindle library because I have read Joe R. Lansdale's novels and really enjoyed them. Well, all I can say is that this short story is definitely worth the late night read. It is only 33 pages but yet it tells a great tale. If you liked (or remember) Rod Sterling of 'The Twilight Zone' fame, this story would have been one of the top selections.
Col
Mar 25, 2015 Col rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, l
Blurb, sort of...... In “Incident On and Off a Mountain Road,” Lansdale offers readers a heroine who is far more than what she seems. Pursued by a monstrous madman, Ellen calls upon her survival skills and leads readers toward a mind-blowing twist ending.

Another freebie from the Amazon site, which I found while having a browse.

Not my usual bag though I’m familiar with Lansdale’s work. I have read a few of his previous horror offerings, The Drive-In 1 and 2, but my main enjoyment comes from his
Chris
Apr 21, 2012 Chris rated it it was amazing
If this isn't the perfect "strong woman fights off deranged psychopath" story then I don't know what is. Even as I read it I checked off all the standard plot devices (which I won't list because that will ruin the story) but I enjoyed it anyway just because Lansdale is that good. And then he still surprised me with a perfect ending. If you haven't read Lansdale you are really missing out and this story would be a great place to start.
Angela
Oct 06, 2012 Angela rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this, it had a very 1970s horror feel to it, by that I mean claustrophobic and intense. Lots of action and some definite creepy and disturbing moments and a nice little twist at the end which I liked.
Kat
Jan 22, 2012 Kat rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: horror fans
Shelves: owned, horror
I saw the Masters of Horror episode of this story back when it first came out. I watched a few more episodes and didn't like them. From my recollection, this one was the best one I had seen. However, going into this short story I couldn't remember a thing other then a girl running from "some guy" in the woods.

Unfortunately I told someone about 15 minutes before I was to start reading it, that I was reading it, and they ruined the ending for me - probably accidentally. But annoying nevertheless.
Keith
Nov 01, 2012 Keith rated it really liked it
Decided to dip into some Joe R. Lansdale, given that Bubba Ho Tep is one of my all time favourite movies and Don Coscarelli's adaptation of this story for Masters Of Horror was one of my favourite episodes.

The most striking thing reading this is just how faithful and excellent Coscarelli's version was, he clearly stuck very faithfully to the source and the representation of Moon Face was iconic enough that it's difficult to read this without your mind conjuring up images of the MoH episode.

It re
Godzilla
Sep 10, 2016 Godzilla rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, horror, 2012, kindle
After many complaints from my wife about the number of books our house is struggling to contain, I have bought a Kindle.

I was very anti-Kindle, as I love the feel and nuance of books, but for a quiet life I have gone over to the dark side.

I saw this short story as a free offering and snapped it up.

Joe Lansdale rarely disappoints, and this is no exception. It's a taut, tense tale with a real twist in the tail.

His writing is always pacy and punchy, and as a free taster this encapsulates his streng
Daniel Drago
Jul 31, 2012 Daniel Drago rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best short stories I have read. I am just starting to read Joe Lansdale even though I was first told to read him back in 1992. My mistake it appears. I love that the story moves so fast, doesn't have to explain why Moon Face does what he does and the ending is a great twist i didn't see coming. On my way to read more by Mr. Lansdale.

Highly recommended.
David
Jan 21, 2012 David rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes Lansdale will like this story.
This short story is currently free, from Amazon, as it includes the first chapter of a book by the sponsoring publisher.

Which I'll have to get back to later, given how spooked out I was by this story.

Greg Sisco
Apr 12, 2012 Greg Sisco rated it liked it
This is a mediocre short story that could have benefited from stronger characters. The whole story is essentially an action/chase scene with occasional references to a romance the heroine once had with a man who taught her self-defense. You get a basic idea of who the main character is but not enough to care about whether she lives or dies, which kills the suspense through most of the story. I probably would have given a two-star review if not for a pretty strong ending that adds a bit of depth ...more
Clark Hallman
Dec 24, 2012 Clark Hallman rated it it was amazing
Incident On and Off the Mountain Road is and excellent, very violent, 33-page, short story with a surprise at the end. It's a fun read. One of the many things I like about eBooks is that publishers now make short stories and novellas available individually as eBooks. In many cases, that enables me to purchase only the stories I know I want to read. I may not need to purchase as many collections that contain only one or two stories that interest me. I hope this trend continues, it's a good thing.
Randy
Mar 31, 2014 Randy rated it it was amazing
Another weird tale from the author of many such.

A woman escaping from one madman pursued by another on a lonely highway in the mountains. A near disaster, wreck, sets her up for a killer.

But is she the helpless female she seems?

Author Lansdale gives us a suspenseful tale with a nice ywist or two along the way.
Saretta
May 03, 2012 Saretta rated it really liked it
Una giovane donna, a causa della pioggia, si scontra con una macchina lungo una strada di montagna.
Preoccupata per gli abitanti del veicolo scende (grave errore), da quel momento inizia un incubo: un pazzo assassino inizierà a inseguirla per i boschi per aggiungerla alla sua collezione.
Ma la giovane donna non è così indifesa come potrebbe apparire.
Mark Tallen
Apr 28, 2013 Mark Tallen rated it liked it
This was a good little read and I liked it enough to sample some more of Lansdale's work. Of corse there are far better short stories to read than this but I do recommend it if you're in between novels.
Keith
Jul 20, 2015 Keith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, short-stories
"Incident On and Off a Mountain Road" is a gruesome suspenseful short story with a surprising twist.
Nilchance
Mar 04, 2016 Nilchance rated it really liked it
As gripping as a King short story, without the things that usually turn me off Lansdale. This sounds like damning with faint praise, but I did enjoy the story a lot.

Do not fuck with Ellen.
Robert
Dec 30, 2011 Robert rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Solid story that I would have loved to have drawn out into a longer novella. The psychological aspects were chilling and it makes me want to know more about the cabin and the silver toothed man!
Patricia Marshall
Patricia Marshall rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2016
Brian Hoffmeister
Brian Hoffmeister rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2016
deed nuts
deed nuts rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2015
Kym
Kym rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2013
John
John rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2012
Zara
Zara rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2015
Scott Kessler
Scott Kessler rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2013
Louie Schultz
Louie Schultz rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2015
Jerry Matthews
Jerry Matthews rated it it was ok
Dec 31, 2013
Nico Ager
Nico Ager rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Specimen 313
  • Zombie Bits (Murdermouth)
  • Freeze
  • Anything can be Dangerous
  • This Little Piggy
  • Rock And Roll Reform School Zombies
  • Dead Earth: The Green Dawn
  • Scratch (Cemetery Dance Signature Series, #7)
  • Truck Stop
  • Last Dance of a Black Widow
Joe R. Lansdale is the winner of the British Fantasy Award, the American Horror Award, the Edgar Award, and six Bram Stoker Awards. He lives in Nacogdoches, Texas.
More about Joe R. Lansdale...