Night's Engines

Night's Engines (The Nightbound Land #2)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The conclusion of the Nightbound Land duology. The Roil has not yet been defeated – and the Roil extends its grip on Shale, following the commands of the Dreaming Cities.

Wars will be fought. Doomsday weapons employed. And night will fall.
Published June 7th 2012 by Angry Robot (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Night's Engines, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night's Engines

Thoraiya
Oh, very satisfying. The writing is beautiful, haunting, the world many-layered, and the ending is excellent.

It's not necessary to have read "Roil", though I would recommend it. In fact I have deducted that star because I would have liked to see this in a Jonathan-Strange-like single volume.

Still, "Night's Engines" opens with a concise summary disguised as a history lesson ("We snatch at our histories like the tattered storm-wrenched rags they are") which handily reminds us of the state of the...more
Karissa
This is the second book in the Nightbound Land duology. I got an eGallery of this book to review through NetGalley(dot)com. This is a wildly creative and dark series and this book did a good job of continuing and concluding the events that began in book one.

David and Margaret are in the city of Hardacre and need to journey North to the Great Engine if they are going to have any hope of stopping the Roil from consuming the whole world. David is trying to fight off the infection that Cadell gave h...more
Jalisa
When I started to read Night’s Engines, I thought there was no way that Trent Jamieson could wring more sorrow out of me. I was wrong. And as terrible as that sounds, I’m really happy about it.

Jamieson has a way of keeping a steady, continuous mood, that though only ranges in the varying degrees of misery is never tiring. I can never get enough of it. Apparently, I’m a reading masochist and Jamieson knows just how I like it.

Night’s Engines was a fitting end to this duology. I couldn’t have asked...more
Yvonne Boag
The Roil is winning the war and as city after city falls to it, it is becoming difficult to find somewhere to be safe. David is becoming more Cadell and losing himself, the only thing that keeps Cadell out is the drug Carnival but David needs to become Cadell if he is to save the world. Margaret, David and Kara are racing against time and not only is the Roil out to stop them but the Old Men are on their tail. Can they save Shale or is it already to late?

Jamieson's world building skills are trul...more
Jessica
Full Review to come later...
You know that moment when you finish a book and feel like you should buy 100 copies just to support the author some more? Yeah, this book is definitely one of those. Yes, I felt the same way about Roil and the Deathworks series however it is due to the pure talent of Trent Jamieson.
Just_ann_now
The sequel to Roil. This book was much more coherent (though the copy-editing was just as spotty). The Kick-Ass girls were even more kickass (and there were more of them!) A satisfying conclusion, though I'm not sure who the guy on the cover was supposed to be.
Tina
Fantastic world building. Loved that David is such a flawed and real hero. Underlying ideas of how humankind's 'progress' affects the earth and what catastrophes that can bring.
Kara-karina
DNF. Not a good book for me. I love the topic, but struggled too much with the writing style.
Laith
Highly enjoyable followup to Roil.

More to come once I get my review written up.
Rowena Daniells
Currently reading Night's Engines - really enjoying it.
Shadowdenizen
Shadowdenizen marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Joey
Joey marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Sharon
Sharon added it
Jun 21, 2014
Stacey Lee
Stacey Lee marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Parizad
Parizad marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
★Rachael★
★Rachael★ marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Melissa Pence
Melissa Pence marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Aaron Jones
Aaron Jones marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Carmen
Carmen marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Trent Jamieson is a science fiction and fantasy writer.

Trent works as a teacher, a bookseller, and a writer, and has taught at Clarion South.
More about Trent Jamieson...
Death Most Definite (Death Works Trilogy #1) Managing Death (Death Works Trilogy #2) The Business of Death (Death Works Trilogy, #1-3) Roil  (The Nightbound Land, #1) The Memory of Death (Death Works Trilogy, #4)