Start by marking “Night's Engines” as Want to Read:
Night's Engines

Night's Engines (The Nightbound Land #2)

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  72 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
The conclusion of the Nightbound Land duology. The Roil has not yet been defeated – and the Roil extends its grip on Shale, following the commands of the Dreaming Cities.

Wars will be fought. Doomsday weapons employed. And night will fall.
Published June 7th 2012 by Angry Robot (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Night's Engines, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night's Engines

Thoraiya
Jul 03, 2012 Thoraiya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, very satisfying. The writing is beautiful, haunting, the world many-layered, and the ending is excellent.

It's not necessary to have read "Roil", though I would recommend it. In fact I have deducted that star because I would have liked to see this in a Jonathan-Strange-like single volume.

Still, "Night's Engines" opens with a concise summary disguised as a history lesson ("We snatch at our histories like the tattered storm-wrenched rags they are") which handily reminds us of the state of the
Jason
Dec 09, 2014 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2014
4 Stars

A good conclusion to a really fun duology. This steampunk fantasy contains many great parts. The world building is unique and very cool. The Roil and monsters within are interesting and original. Our heroes are easy to identify with.

The world itself and the steampunk weaponry is what makes this series special. The evil Roil is dark, black, and hot. Fire is it's strength. The people of the world must live in the cold and use ice weaponry to fight off these foes. From guns and swords to m
Karissa
May 23, 2012 Karissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the Nightbound Land duology. I got an eGallery of this book to review through NetGalley(dot)com. This is a wildly creative and dark series and this book did a good job of continuing and concluding the events that began in book one.

David and Margaret are in the city of Hardacre and need to journey North to the Great Engine if they are going to have any hope of stopping the Roil from consuming the whole world. David is trying to fight off the infection that Cadell gave h
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Katharine is a judge for the Sara Douglass 'Book Series' Award. This entry is the personal opinion of Katharine herself, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of any judging panel, the judging coordinator or the Aurealis Awards management team.

I won't be recording my thoughts (if I choose to) here until after the AA are over.
Jalisa
Jun 21, 2012 Jalisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I started to read Night’s Engines, I thought there was no way that Trent Jamieson could wring more sorrow out of me. I was wrong. And as terrible as that sounds, I’m really happy about it.

Jamieson has a way of keeping a steady, continuous mood, that though only ranges in the varying degrees of misery is never tiring. I can never get enough of it. Apparently, I’m a reading masochist and Jamieson knows just how I like it.

Night’s Engines was a fitting end to this duology. I couldn’t have asked
Yvonne Boag
Sep 13, 2012 Yvonne Boag rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The Roil is winning the war and as city after city falls to it, it is becoming difficult to find somewhere to be safe. David is becoming more Cadell and losing himself, the only thing that keeps Cadell out is the drug Carnival but David needs to become Cadell if he is to save the world. Margaret, David and Kara are racing against time and not only is the Roil out to stop them but the Old Men are on their tail. Can they save Shale or is it already to late?

Jamieson's world building skills are trul
Jessica
Jul 19, 2012 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full Review to come later...
You know that moment when you finish a book and feel like you should buy 100 copies just to support the author some more? Yeah, this book is definitely one of those. Yes, I felt the same way about Roil and the Deathworks series however it is due to the pure talent of Trent Jamieson.
Just_ann_now
The sequel to Roil. This book was much more coherent (though the copy-editing was just as spotty). The Kick-Ass girls were even more kickass (and there were more of them!) A satisfying conclusion, though I'm not sure who the guy on the cover was supposed to be.
Tina
Feb 23, 2013 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic world building. Loved that David is such a flawed and real hero. Underlying ideas of how humankind's 'progress' affects the earth and what catastrophes that can bring.
Kara-karina
DNF. Not a good book for me. I love the topic, but struggled too much with the writing style.
Laith
Highly enjoyable followup to Roil.

More to come once I get my review written up.
Rowena Daniells
Jun 19, 2012 Rowena Daniells rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Currently reading Night's Engines - really enjoying it.
Jessicat
Jessicat marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
John
John rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2016
Joseph S. Mudd
Joseph S. Mudd marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
H Lynnea
H Lynnea marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Hexe
Hexe marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Collector
Collector marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Jd
Jd rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2016
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Liesel
Liesel rated it it was ok
Feb 26, 2016
Andy Charles
Andy Charles rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2016
Renato Dantas
Renato Dantas marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Linda Todd
Linda Todd marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Brian Reed
Brian Reed rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Miriam
Miriam marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
John
John added it
Dec 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Great Game (The Bookman Histories, #3)
  • Suited (The Veiled Worlds, #2)
  • The Wrong Goodbye (The Collector, #2)
  • Sharp Shooter (Tara Sharp, #1)
  • City of Light & Shadow (City of a Hundred Rows, #3)
  • Dark Space (Sentients of Orion, #1)
  • Master of the House of Darts (Obsidian and Blood, #3)
  • Costume Not Included
  • Sanctuary (The Outcast Chronicles, #3)
  • Restoration (The World House #2)
  • The Hanging Mountains (Books of the Cataclysm, #3)
  • The Nekropolis Archives
  • The Crown of the Conqueror
  • A Tree of Bones (Hexslinger, #3)
  • Grimoire
  • Evil Dark (Occult Crimes Unit Investigation, #2)
  • Reign of Beasts (Creature Court, #3)
Trent Jamieson is a science fiction and fantasy writer.

Trent works as a teacher, a bookseller, and a writer, and has taught at Clarion South.
More about Trent Jamieson...

The Nightbound Land (2 books)
  • Roil  (The Nightbound Land, #1)