Start by marking “Bone Machine” as Want to Read:
Bone Machine

Bone Machine

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  13 reviews
War. Poverty. Hunger. Are over.

Humankind hasn't changed, but the way we work has. Welcome to the brave new world of the Artificially Conscious Androlibra, a humanlike robot that acts like a personal clone, helping to bring balance to our lives.

Grayson Cornel doesn't sleep much anymore. His life is in shambles. His father is teetering on death. He was recently promoted by T
Published October 23rd 2011 by CreateSpace

To ask other readers questions about Bone Machine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bone Machine

Amy
My husband wrote this book, so sure, I'm biased. But beyond that, here's some reasons why I love it:

1. It questions whether a utopia might ever be possible, and if so, at what cost? (and in that case, is it a utopia afterall?)
2. It deals with modern day issues of corporate America and the ridiculous amount of power large corporations can have over the rest of the world and our culture.
3. It addresses the complacency that too many of us have with the world around us--not questioning how and why t
Laura Z
I won this book in the Goodreads FirstReads giveaway in return for an honest review of the book.

I originally gave Bone Machine 4 stars, but it is a book I just couldn't get out of my mind. The more I thought about it the more I realized it is a 5 star book. If I keep coming back to the book and thinking about the book and the characters, and the plot, and especially the twists--it's definitely a 5 star book for me. It's very hard to talk about the end of the book without giving it away, but I wi
Eric Wallace
I was pleasantly surprised to find that I had won a copy of this sci-fi thriller book, courtesy of the author, through Goodread's "First Reads" giveaways. After opening the envelope upon receipt, I read a few pages and immediately thought, "I'm gonna like this." I had to hold myself back from digging in for a bit because I had so many other half-read books, so I saved it until I was travelling when I knew I could savor it. Then of course I ate it up during all my free time on the trips: on airpl ...more
Cheryl
So. Great. Oh my goodness. I am lacking much needed sleep, since I could NOT put this book down, and the sun is almost rising. As soon as I wake up, I will write an all out review, but for now, initial thoughts right when I completed the book.

Immediately after finishing: WOW. Totally unexpected twists. Although I did not enjoy the end, I had a feeling that's how it was going to be. Fast paced. Suspenseful. Vivid scenes. Beautiful writing. I am impressed. Well, well done, CN James. You did the da
Rose Cimarron
[2012-05-14] My book arrived today! I am sooo looking forward to reading this!
[2012-05-27] Finished this evening. Excellent book. A few typos and punctuation errors (not sure if this is final published copy). I loved the signed bookmark. I don't always use a bookmark (can usually turn to correct page without aids) but decided to hunt one down for this book...then opened the book and found the one enclosed. :-) Thanks C.N.

Full review will follow within a couple of weeks.
Conny
I was very lucky to have been a First Reads winner of this book. I just finished the book and I am still reeling from the twist at the end. It is a well written book that captures your attention from the beginning until the stunning end. The characters are relatable and you gladly follow them on this journey of a possible future. I hope that there will be a sequel to this book to see what will happen to Sadie and Monica. Great read.
Unbound Underground
4 stars out of 5: All in all, “Bone Machine” is one of those rare books in which the quality of the ideas out-paces the quality of the writing. There are a lot of really interesting things implied and questioned by the events of the book, but Mr. James backs away from allowing readers to have an emotional connection to the story. I won’t give away the mid-novel events because Mr. James clearly means for readers not to see them coming, but they’re brilliant. The premise of the book is astonishing ...more
Michelle
As the quote on the back of the book aptly describes it, the story is indeed a story of horror and deceit. A company has managed to revolutionize life by creating robots that can successfully replace the humans in many jobs creating what might appear as a better work-life balance for many. But there is a secret hidden underneath the veneer of a new world order.

I had originally thought the story was going to be about robots taking over the world, but it was a bit more complex than that. I was ple
Lara
I received this book through the Good Reads First Reads program. It has an interesting premise in which intelligent robots have been created that have reduced the work load and poverty. There is the potential for an anti-utopian story, but it takes place before those ramifications have come to full fruition. There is a mystery regarding the robots, and the main characters are brought into it more due to the actions of others than their own initiative.

This is ultimately a moral tale with an ironi
Dannette
I received this book free through goodreads first-reads.
This was a very good story. I cannot go into too much detail, for fear I will give too much away.
I will say though, that I found it very odd that even though I did not feel connected to the characters at all, the story itself kept me reading.
It was thrilling,suspenseful, and at times shocking.
I would recommend this book to everyone.
Stephanie
This is not a genre that I normally read but I received this book free so I gave it a shot. The writing was engaging but I was distracted by the poor editing of typos throughout the book. The themes of the book were played out well but I checked out when it came to the last 1/3 of the book. Too out there for me.
Sarah Shelton
This book twisted into something I wasn't expecting. It was an easy read and orignial. And if it didn't have so many grammatical errors, I would have given it 5 stars.
Jason
Did not enjoy. Could not get engrossed in book and was all over the place as far as the plot.
Sweetpea
Sweetpea marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Staci
Staci added it
Mar 01, 2015
Denise Lauron
Denise Lauron marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Maggie
Maggie added it
Jan 21, 2015
Dragonr
Dragonr marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Bode Hoover
Bode Hoover marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Maggie
Maggie marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Emma Bernardi
Emma Bernardi marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
MaryAnn
MaryAnn marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Steven Duffy
Steven Duffy marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Jennifer Marshall
Jennifer Marshall marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Vikki
Vikki marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Septima Severa
Septima Severa marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
  • Gyges the Terrible
  • Doll Parts
  • Alice Parker's Metamorphosis (Alice Parker, #1)
  • The Haunted Grove
  • Salsa Invertebraxa
  • Alaskan Hearts
  • Horses of the Sun (Outback Riders, #1)
  • Hound Dog Blues
  • Playing Havoc
  • Coffee at Little Angels
  • A Vampire's Dominion (The Stone Masters Vampire, #3)
  • The First Rule of Ten (A Tenzing Norbu Mystery, #1)
  • Petroplague
  • The Memory Eater
  • Shining in Crimson (Empire of Blood, #1)
  • Snakes
  • Vestige
  • Prismatic (Harmony Run #1)
CN James’ short story The Dark Room won honorable mention in the 78th Annual Writer’s Digest Writing Competition for genre short story. He teaches college writing as well as guitar, and enjoys jazz, alternative rock, watching 80’s cartoons, and experiencing stories with monsters in them.
He wanted to major in Mad Science, but felt the abandoned windmills on the hill a bit too drafty a place to get
More about C.N. James...