Start by marking “Damaged Goods” as Want to Read:
Damaged Goods

Damaged Goods

4.26  ·  Rating Details  ·  31 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
When Joanna Lucas moves to a small town to escape a scandal and a scoundrel, she finds herself in trouble again when she befriends a stripper-turned-Mormon, a one-legged woman thanks to a loose tiger, and a dirty-minded troublemaker with a love of inane questions, and they take on an industrial town. Erin Brockovich has nothing on these ladies!
Prepare to laugh out loud and
Paperback, 2nd, 272 pages
Published October 11th 2012 by The Writers Coffee Shop (first published July 12th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Damaged Goods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Damaged Goods

Kathie (katmom)
Mar 17, 2014 Kathie (katmom) rated it it was amazing
Just learned that THIS book is going to be a MOVIE! It's a story that should be told about environmental issues. It's also incredibly FUNNY. I'm really looking forward to seeing it on screen. They are talking SUNDANCE!

There I go again, giving a FIVE star rating to a book. I had the pleasure of reading this last month as I work for Alexandra Allred's publisher.

From the first scene, which was a shocker and made me gasp...then LAUGH OUT LOUD...I loved it.

This is what small town life is like. The h
Sandra
Oct 01, 2012 Sandra rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: if you liked Erin Brockovich
Recommended to Sandra by: the publisher
This review can also be found on My Fiction Nook.

I read the blurb prior to accepting this book as an ARC from the publisher and thought I was in for a humorous little book similar to The Ya-Ya Sisterhood. Boy, was I wrong. Not about the humor, because there's riotous laughing to be had inside, but this book went beyond chicklit and tackled some heavy issues that reminded me of Erin Brockovich.

I enjoyed this book. It's basically a David vs. Goliath story, and you can't help but cheer for the und
Jen
Oct 20, 2012 Jen rated it it was amazing
Damaged Goods is about women—no, Damaged Goods is about the environment—no, Damaged Goods is about friendship and community—no, Damaged Goods is about all of the above . . . and more.

I laughed, I raged, I cried a bit . . . then I laughed all over again. Alexandra Allred has a way of turning a phrase and setting a scene that puts a reader right there with her characters. And her characters—they have so much depth and authenticity, one could be your sister, or your best friend, or the crazy lady w
Talk Supe
Nov 02, 2012 Talk Supe rated it really liked it
Full review at Talk Supe

DAMAGED GOODS is a funny novel but it deals with serious issues like prejudice, red tape, small town politics, illegal immigration and environmental activism. The comedy doesn't deter the reader from the importance of these issues rather it highlighted it. The women in this novel are phenomenal and were good representations of every woman. The focal point of the novel is about friendship and the unlikely bond that Joanna forged with Dixie Quigley - ex-stripper now a devou
Suzy Duffy
Jan 08, 2013 Suzy Duffy rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!

On the surface it's another fun read about gals getting through life together but I had to keep pinching myself to remember that this is no Lady's lit - it's FACTion. This situation is going on in the USA today. AMAZING. I couldn't beleive it at first but I do now.
Alex took a story and made it her own with credible characters, some of whom I loved and some I wanted to shake. But I loved the book, loved reading it and would read another book from Alexandra Allred.
I've met the au
Raum
Nov 24, 2012 Raum rated it it was amazing
Originally posted on: http://myreadinglounge.blogspot.com

A trophy wife who has had enough. A too complacent community, blind to the fact that its health statistic are really below average. A cement plant from hell. The usual amounts of greedy industrialists and cynical politicians and here you are: the scene is set for Damaged Goods, the amazing novel by Alexandra Allred.
Meet Joanna Lucas. She's lost herself marrying a rich man who wants her just to be pretty and say nothing. She's tolerated hi
Jess Molly Brown
Jun 10, 2013 Jess Molly Brown rated it it was amazing
This is such a complex story (large cast of characters, different points of view, lots of subplots, almost a double story arc) and yet, it works. The characters were memorable and lively and the tensions built perfectly. I was on the edge of my seat for most of it and laughed aloud not a few times. A lot of reviewers are comparing this book to Steel Magnolias and Erin Brockovich. You know what? I like this book better.

There are big issues in this book, but it’s not preachy and doesn’t overwhelm
Sarah Aisling
Dec 04, 2012 Sarah Aisling rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. When I was approached with an ARC, I wasn't sure it was my cup of tea, but after hosting a guest post on the blog tour, I became intrigued. I'm glad I did because this was one awesome tale. The author has a way of drawing you into the story so you feel as if you're a part of all the crazy--and there's lots of crazy in this one! I have to admit that one of my all time favorite characters was Eduardo the beer-drinking emu. You'll have to read it to understand.

One th
Andrea (mrsaubergine)
Jan 24, 2013 Andrea (mrsaubergine) rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. This book is going to stay with me for ages. Yes, it's hilariously funny. Yes, it's about friendships and girl power. But what really sets this book apart is its heartbreaking environmental message. It is absolutely shocking that this story is based on fact. I wouldn't call myself a greenie necessarily, but I feel like everyone should read this and get as angry as I did. It makes me so glad I live in New Zealand, where this kind of industrial rape doesn't really happen.

Alex Allred is
(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick
Get ready to laugh, cry, and groan as you follow an ex-trophy wife from the glitter of the Hamptons to the small town of Marcus, TX in this Erin Brockovich/Steel Magnolia like romantic contemporary. This story will both humble and keep you laughing as you watch the antics of a small group of women attempt to stop the town’s largest business from killing them. Smooth writing, detailed storylines, and complex developed characters all shine as Allred tells a deeply disturbing tale of greed, bigotry ...more
Michelle [Helen Geek]
10/22/2012 Hope's Full Review posted today on http://www.2GeekGirlsReviewBooks.com

We got this ARC about a month ago. Hope's loves her quirk and it sounded right up her alley. She really enjoyed reading it and found the characters fun. She warns this is not a romance, but from her perspective, doesn't matter when you read a good book. This one is that - a good book. It reminded her of Erin Brockovich - remember Julia Roberts? For her full review, check it out on the blog today. Let us know what
Rob Fuller
Dec 11, 2012 Rob Fuller rated it liked it
Unfortunately, the only way to describe Damaged Goods is cold and distant. I went into this book as a big fan of Alexandra Allred, and as much as I wanted to feel a connection with her protagonist Joanna, something held me back. There was a switch in narratives that threw me off a bit, but not to the point of distraction. The positives, and there are still many here...was the heart behind the story. There was enough detail to keep the story moving, but not enough to remember once I finished read ...more
Hope
Oct 23, 2012 Hope rated it really liked it
Thanks to Netgalley and The Writer’s Coffee Shop for providing an ARC in exchange for an honest review!

4 Stars!

Book Cover / Book Blurb = 2.5/4 = 3.25 Stars
Writer’s Voice = 4.5 Stars
Character Development = 4.5 Stars
Story Appreciation = 5 Stars
Worth the Chili = 2 Stars($9.99 Amazon ebook)

Full Review posted on the blog at: http://2geekgirlsreviewbooks.com/book...
Nancy Kojder
Apr 02, 2013 Nancy Kojder rated it liked it
It was quite an eye opener, as we live close to a town similar to the town in the book. I thoroughly enjoyed meeting the author at our book club.
Tracey Pringle fugett
Very drawn out
Alethia
Alethia marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Merete Aasen
Merete Aasen marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Yomainbitch
Yomainbitch marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2015
Travis Hayes
Travis Hayes rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2015
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Elizabeth Cserepes
Elizabeth Cserepes marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Leesha
Leesha marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Andrea
Andrea rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2015
Eva
Eva marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Naomi
Naomi marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
504angel
504angel marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Alexandra Powe Allred graduated from Texas A&M University with a B.A. in History, saying,"As everyone knows, once you get a degree in history, all you can really do is teach or write. I'm just doing what I can!" As the daughter of a (now retired) U.S. Diplomat, Allred traveled all over the United States and around the world. Her writing career began before graduation with several pieces on bi- ...more
More about Alexandra Allred...