Start by marking “Ideas: A History of Thought and Invention, from Fire to Freud” as Want to Read:
Ideas: A History of Thought and Invention, from Fire to Freud

Ideas: A History of Thought and Invention, from Fire to Freud

4.31  ·  Rating Details  ·  587 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
In this hugely ambitious and stimulating book, Peter Watson describes the history of ideas, from deep antiquity to the present day, leading to a new way of understanding our world and ourselves.

The narrative begins nearly two million years ago with the invention of hand-axes and explores how some of our most cherished notions might have originated before humans had languag
Published August 30th 2005 by Harper (first published May 12th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Ideas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ideas

Crawford
Jul 14, 2012 Crawford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have finally finished this tome. Over the 18-months it took to read I have from time to time added précis to this review, but now I have finished I have removed them. This book is a thousand pages of dense reading and nothing best summarizes its magnificence than the quotations from the fronts-piece:

There are no whole truths;.
All truths are half-truths.
It is trying to treat them as
Whole truths that plays the devil.
(Alfred North Whitehead, Dialogues. 1953.)

While it may be hard to live with gene
Book
Jun 24, 2011 Book rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Ideas by Peter Watson

Wow! It doesn't get more ambitious than this. This is a book about the history of ideas. How can anyone tackle such an ambitious topic in one book? Well, somehow someway Peter Watson does exactly that. The author jumps from one interesting topic to another with mastery: language, science, weaponry, religion, society, economics, inventions, music...

It was an investment in knowledge. An investment that pays off at the end. I can't remember the last time, I've learned so much
Vandita
Jun 09, 2013 Vandita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a tome ! Weight wise, content wise, scope wise and depth wise. I don't remember when was last that I read a book which had so much to offer.. each page crammed with insights, facts, analysis that reading 3 pages in one go satiates the mind. The book of 'ideas' defines the 'ideas' since the birth of mankind and civilisation, as broadly as one can: as the sub title says ' a history of thought and invention, from fire to freud'.

The sheer expanse of ideas explored and the depth of this explora
Todd Nemet
Mar 01, 2015 Todd Nemet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, favorites
Second review (finished 1/27/2013)

I read this book off and on during 2012 and the first part of 2013. It was even better the second time I read it.

March-ish I took a few days off from life and checked into a spa in Sonoma, and this was the only book I brought to read in between massages and soaking in spring water. Come to think of it, this is probably the one book I would bring to a desert island if I had to limit it to one book.

Then October-ish I picked it up again and started re-reading the s
Richard Newton
My rating for this book reflects how much I enjoyed it. I am conscious of my own limited knowledge to be really able to say whether this is the history of ideas it sets out to be - but at the very least it is an excellent piece of writing based on an almost inconceivably wide set of sources. This is a huge book, and if you love to think broadly then definitely worth the investment in time to read.

There are a couple of niggles - it does seem to have a bias to western European orientated ideas and
David
A good survey with some of the latest data and analysis. Not a bad book all-in-all but not enlightening...I've read most of this in other books over the years...but this is a survey piece so that should be expected. I was never, genuinely, engaged by the book but don't have anything bad to say about it. I believe this is a book for younger readers (20 somethings) that have not spent a lifetime reading. For them there would be lots of interesting directions to pursue in the future but for those, ...more
umberto
This book looked a bit too academic for me when I first saw some copies sold in various bookstores in Bangkok some years ago. Then I decided to read it because of its title concerned with 'A History from Fire to Freud', therefore, I think I should know and understand more from what Peter Watson searched and wrote for his readers to try reading on our intellectual developments in the East and the West.

I like this part in the Author's Note (p. xix):
In a work such as Ideas it is comforting to thi
Lola Haskins
Aug 01, 2008 Lola Haskins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:

In spite of its writing style, which is so academic that I have to underline or highlight to keep myself paying attention, this is a truly exciting book, as ambitious as the title implies.

I read it in bursts --between fiction and poetry reads--because it's too heavy to retain the information if I put in long stretches.

If you liked, you could read just the parts that interested you-- though to some extent each chapter builds on the one before.

Alfonso
Ambicioso ensayo que no llega a germinar: este libro no es la historia de las ideas de la humanidad, sino de Peter Watson. Se trata de una exposición de las principales corrientes de pensamiento de la humanidad, desde un prisma progresista, nihilista, antioccidental y anglocéntrico. No obstante, el estilo es brillante: de un párrafo a otro, el fluir del texto es increíble, a pesar de sus más de mil páginas.
Geertvanderzalm
Dec 21, 2009 Geertvanderzalm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Took me a long time to get through this book, but it gives a very thorough account of the history of the world by considering the history of ideas and the human intellectual development.

If you're just interested in world history, then Guns, Germs and Steel might be a better start. If you want to have a full account of how human thought and culture developed, this is an excellent book.
Pauline
Oct 12, 2011 Pauline is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Have made it to part two and now on chapter five, 'Sacrifice, Soul, Saviour: the spritual breakthrough'. This book reminds me of everything I loved about uni when I was seventeen. I'm being escorted through the millenia by a gentleman and a scholar, getting a little window into the mysteries of how we came to be who we are today, and nourishing a little dream of academia.
BB
Dec 12, 2012 BB rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, non-fic
Other books cover this topic better. Poor binding on my copy.
Serina
May 14, 2013 Serina marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Note: Mr. Rupprecht is reading this.
Sanjay C.
Mar 22, 2014 Sanjay C. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An unbiased appreciation of all cultures!

Beginning from around 2 million years ago, Watson takes us through a journey that explores the origins of world-changing ideas. This book is a breath of fresh air from the usually parochial and Eurocentric books that most historians have been presenting.

Watson presents a more truthful perspective and brings to light the very important ideas that have emerged from the East as well as the West. He spends considerable time on the philosophies of India and th
Cara
Oct 14, 2011 Cara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm sure even 700+ pages on the history of human ideas does not complete the entire picture, but this book does a fantastic job of putting civilization in perspective. Ideas is full of fantastic conversation material, and illustrates history not just by highlighting particular dates and wars, but by explaining the various sea changes along the timeline of human progress. While reading, I felt strangely connected to my fellow humans with the sense that 'we're all in this together' - and also real ...more
Al Bità
Aug 31, 2010 Al Bità rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a huge book (over 1000 pages of text, not including the endnotes and indexes) dealing with one of the biggest subjects of all: the evolution of Human Ideas throughout the ages up to the 19th century CE. This might tend to put one off; but one should not succumb to this feeling.

This is a masterwork of its type. The range is astonishingly extensive, and surprisingly comprehensive; the writing style easy and accessible. Watson seems to have provided us with an exhaustive compilation of just
Ron
Aug 11, 2011 Ron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For me, the most important aspect of these "survey" type books is in the organization. When I accept as reasonable the organizing principles, I tend, generally speaking, to process the material much more efficiently and enjoyably. In this case, I had a little trouble buying into the notion of the building a system of thought around the three ideas of the soul, Europe and the experiment. As a result, I found parts of this book to be a bit of a slog. The flip side of this unfamiliar structure is t ...more
Barb999
Jul 02, 2015 Barb999 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Das Buch ist flüssig zu lesen, wirkt selten fade und greift Eckpfeiler der Ideengeschichte heraus. Dabei ist das Buch jedoch eindeutig im "Westen" verankert, obwohl auch andere Kulturideen aufgegriffen werden.

Für einen Überflug über die Ideen der Weltgeschichte bietet das Buch einen sehr guten Einstieg und Impulse für viel weitern Lesestoff.
umberto

I like this part in the Author's Note (p. xix):
In a work such as Ideas it is comforting to thi
Abhijeet Lele
A book written from in depth historical perspective. How mankind started his journey from discovery of fire to modern day man. If you are not a person involved in research in history, you might get bored after 20% of book.
Macoco G.M.
Nov 30, 2014 Macoco G.M. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excelente libro para conocer la historia desde un punto de vista diferente. Aquí no se hablan de reyes ni de guerras sino de ideas y de cómo estas produjeron grandes avances o enromes catástrofes.
Bchamp
Oct 23, 2013 Bchamp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If someone asked me what the greatest book I've ever read was, I'd tell them I didn't want to answer that question, but if pressed, this would be it. Boorstin's The Discoverers got me interested in what they call 'Intellectual History', but this book cemented it as my number one sub-field of history. I will now read any book I find described as such, and I have Peter Watson to blame.thank.
Let me put it another way: an ex-girlfriend got this book for me as a christmas gift. It was probably the be
Nageen
Jan 12, 2016 Nageen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

Literary Merit: 2.95 stars

Sister and I got this ages ago, ( I am writing a review now, detailed review will be updated soon) upon recommendations. It is well composed, interesting and well written, I began to like this as I read along the different chapters and then I began to realize that it is heavily opinionated. The author has led his beliefs on religiosity, God and politics come in between when narrating history and thus the value neutrality of this texts finishes right there. If you really
Andrew
Jul 09, 2008 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history-skim
This is a solid brick of a book with a slightly ambitious scope - the history of thought and invention from fire to freud. A book like this can only be "magesterial" or "annoyingly pretentious and unfocused." After perusing the intro and a few selected chapters (the book lends itself well to jumping around), I am definitely leaning towards the former (despite having to cope with a growing feeling of insignificance and inferiority next to Watson's large brain). Watson writes nicely, and effortles ...more
David
Jul 17, 2013 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I borrowed this book from the library as an e-book. Much of what I read in it varied from interesting to fascinating. It was a slow read partly because of the length. But I did have trouble following the flow as the general impression for me was that it jumped around. It was generally chronological and within any particular sub-topic it gave me plenty of things to think about in the evolution of ideas. Purely for the material I would give it 5 stars but I had to check it outat least five times f ...more
Richard Angeli
May 03, 2012 Richard Angeli rated it it was amazing
I've never been big on reading history, but this book is different. Well documented with the best current sources from many different disciplines. Where there are differing theories about a given topic The book explains them, points out the dominant ones, and leaves the conclusions to the reader.
I read the book cover to cover. I keep a copy on my current e reader to refer back to when a particular political, philosophical, or theological discussion comes up and triggers a new thought.
I also pur
Richard
Apr 14, 2014 Richard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
My understanding of human social structures culture and beliefs expanded greatly while reading this book.

I enjoyed the style of Watson's writing. I was engaged from the start and had difficulty puting the book down. A key to the gripping accessibility, for me, was the way he presents interesting information with succinct flows of logic and a neutral perspective.

Some of the understandings I gained from this book have changed my life. I am extremely grateful for it and celebrate it.

I recommend re
Mohamed Abd El-Khalek
Very very interesting
Carlos Vazquez
Apr 28, 2013 Carlos Vazquez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Obra colosal que sin duda debió requerir buena parte de su vida al autor, pues recoge civilización humana e historia, no con un gran detalle, pero sí con gran claridad, lo que en obras españolas se echa de menos como se ve en la irregular y farragosa enciclopedia Espasa. Hoy, algunas partes serían debatibles, pero quizá no tantas, lo cual es un mérito dado cómo avanza la ciencia, la Antropología y las ideas, que también quedan atrasadas. Una obra muy buena aun contando con mucha ayuda, y que val ...more
Jamshed
Dec 22, 2015 Jamshed is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
good book
  • The Passion of the Western Mind: Understanding the Ideas that Have Shaped Our World View
  • The Seekers: The Story of Man's Continuing Quest to Understand His World
  • The Enlightenment: And Why It Still Matters
  • The Science of Liberty: Democracy, Reason and the Laws of Nature
  • The Crisis of the European Mind
  • After the Ice: A Global Human History 20,000-5000 BC
  • The Dream of Reason: A History of Philosophy from the Greeks to the Renaissance
  • Civilization: A New History of the Western World
  • The Classical World: An Epic History from Homer to Hadrian
  • Civilizations: Culture, Ambition, and the Transformation of Nature
  • The Philosophical Breakfast Club: Four Remarkable Friends Who Transformed Science and Changed the World
  • Masters of the Word: How Media Shaped History
  • Maps of Time: An Introduction to Big History
  • The Reckless Mind: Intellectuals in Politics
Peter Watson was educated at the universities of Durham, London and Rome, and was awarded scholarships in Italy and the United States.

After a stint as Deputy Editor of New Society magazine, he was for four years part of the Sunday Times ‘Insight’ team of investigative journalists. He wrote the daily Diary column of the London Times before becoming that paper’s New York correspondent. He returned t
More about Peter Watson...