Middle of Nowhere

Middle of Nowhere (Boldt & Matthews #7)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  680 ratings  ·  56 reviews
From the New York Times bestselling author of The First Victim, a new novel in which Lou Boldt, Daphne Matthews and Sergeant John LaMoia team up to try and save Seattle from sinking into total chaosThe "blue flu" has struck the Seattle Police Force and the majority of the officers are on an unofficial strike. Overworked and understaffed, Detective Lou Boldt is committed to...more
Published June 28th 2000 by Hyperion (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Middle of Nowhere, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Middle of Nowhere

Charlotte
Although I tend to dislike reading serial books out of order, I have only happened across two of Ridley Pearson's Lou Boldt series thus far and so have had to read them out of sequence. Notwithstanding, Middle of Nowhere was another excellent police procedural centred around a very personable, very believable central character.

Lou Boldt is a very likable cop, he has all the failings of any ordinary human being, and the linkages between his work and his personal life are quite evident, the way th...more
Judi
The majority of the Seattle Police force is out with the "blue flu," an unofficial strike protesting the new Police Chief's mandate against earning overtime pay and restricting off-duty jobs. With the reduction of cops, only about one-fifth are signing in, crime is on the increase and it's the luck of the draw who works each case. That is how homicide detective, Lieutenant Lou Boldt ends up working a string of burglaries and why police psychologist Daphne Matthews draws lead on an assault case o...more
Kate
The book started off with an intriguing premise which then petered out quickly. In general, the story was okay, but it was bland. It didn't "grab" me the way my favorite thrillers do. The subplots are woven together badly, so you don't see much cohesion.

One thing Pearson did do well is create a flavor of realism in the plot. Despite the chaos from catching the bad guy, Lou's life seemed very much like an ordinary cop's: dealing with interdepartmental politics and trying to keep up with him home...more
Shelley
gigantically boring. got about 200 pages into it before i realized that i'd read it before. romance subplot is tired. and this one is full of pearson's trademark "he came from the left of the right, and she was under the thing on the left, and then over head there was ..." and i just skim those parts because without a drawing ... it just makes no sense (and who cares). harumph.
Barbara ★
The city of Seattle goes to hell during a police strike-out. Only a limited number of cops remain on the job working the many nasty crimes affecting the city. It gets a little too close to home when one of their own is assaulted and left for dead in her own home. Lou, Daphne and Gaynes make an effective team as they try to figure out what is really going on while protecting each other and their families. Is it the thief who's breaking and entering to steal electronics who attacked the cop or is...more
Jeanette
The Blu Flu has the Seattle Police force divided. In the middle, still working is LT Boldt. He is trying to track down a burglar when his own colleagues start getting beating. This story is very twisted and has many different things going on at the same time. It really keeps you guessing and turning pages!

The only issues I had with the story were the dialogue and the rambling. The author makes the dialogue between the characters feel stilted. I almost quit reading after the first chapter. What h...more
Pat Harris
Ridley Pearson and his Lou Boldt series greeted me when I arrived in the Seattle area. He helped me get familiar with the environs and the people. I then find it extremely ironic that I revisit the series prior to moving from the area.

It was easy to settle back in with Lou and Daffy. This was an interesting tale.
Bob
The Setting, Seattle. The Seattle Police Dept. is suffering from an outbreak of the Blue Flu and Detective Lou Boldt is one of a few officers who are still on the job, trying to keep up with the mounting number of cases. When another officer is apparently mugged and suffers a broken neck Lou and Department psychologist and friend Daphne Matthews begin digging in to find the mugger. Internal dissent in the department, threats against those still working, a robberies run from a prison tele-marketi...more
Susan
Lou Boldt is one of the few at work in the Seattle police department which is suffering a collective 'sick out'. (This, apparently has nothing to do with the November WTO excitement…) And things are getting bad. One of the other working members of the department was viciously attacked in her home. Boldt, himself, was attacked at his home and there is a string of mysterious burglaries. Pearson truly captures Seattle which makes all of his books great fun for me, but the Boldt series, I think, hol...more
Mollie Mccune
Standard crime novel set in Seattle. It was entraining, if some what formulaic.
Charlyn  Trussell
An author that I came to from reading his collaborative children's books with Dave Barry. Mystery is one of my favorite genres and this book certainly filled that bill and made me seek out more books by Pearson. Set in Seattle, this book turns upon a police strike and a series of burglaries. Detective Lou Boldt, one of the few who doesn't join the "Blu Flu" epidemic, is severely over-worked, but perseveres in solving crimes against officers and finding the link to the burglaries.
Julie
Not the best in this series, but still enjoyable. Lou and Daphne deal with the "blue flu ", a cop beaten nearly to death, a string of burglaries, and personal issues. A lot is going on at once, and I found myself wondering how all of it would eventually come together. Some explanations were too far flung for me at times, but you have to expect that in thrillers sometimes. I like Ridley Pearson a lot . I wasn't disappointed, but to me, this wasn't one of his best.
Stephanie "Jedigal"
Picked this crime/suspense/mystery novel out of a book giveaway due to my positive experience with the author's kids' books (Peter and the Starcatchers series w/Dave Barry). Unfortunately, this didn't do much for me. I'm not inclined to say it wasn't good, I haven't been too interested in this particular genre for a while. I'll just say it seemed very "pulp" fiction to me - and didn't offer a lot. More likely to be me - it hasn't been a good "reading year" for me.
Edie
What kills me about these books is the whole waiting until the critical or near critical moment to "chamber a round". Any cop or person with any gun sense at all would of carried with one in the chamber plus the full magazine and depended on the safety to keep from blowing their own butt off. I know, it's just fiction, but not having the guns ready to defend is just about as annoying as Matthews being so dumb she keeps getting abducted book after book!
Judee
This police procedural is a roller coaster ride that keeps you turning pages. In true Ridley Pierson fashion, the reader thinks the solution is at hand but wonders why there are 200 more pages are still left. The author has Lou Boldt and Daphne Matthews of the Seattle Police Department hunting an elusive burglar as well as the attackers who disabled a fellow officer. This was a good read, though a bit heavy on the procedural end.
Kaija
This is a part of a series.

Maybe if I had read the other books I would have liked the book a lot better.
I found it very unbelievable that the law enforcement would just decide to collectively "get the flu", even though crime was augmenting throughout the book.
I almost stopped reading it because I found the beginning completely unrealistic. As the story progressed, it got a little better, but not by much.
Chi Dubinski
Lou Boldt investigates an attack on a woman police officer in her home. The department wants to chalk it up to an interrupted burglary, but the Seattle Police Department is in the midst of a labor dispute. Everything is pointing to another officer as the assailant, and Boldt and his partner hope that it isn't true. A fast-paced police procedural.
Suzanne
Apparently, there's a series with Lou and Daphne?...Idk. But I loved the book. The corruption within the force reminded of "The Last Precinct" by Patricia Cornwell. There were two different mysteries that were inter-twined, and they played out beautifully. I'll have to keep an eye out for this author...
Craig Buck
This procedural thriller starts out with a bang and moves nicely with some intriguing blue flu issues to shake things up. Unfortunately, the ending is all one protracted unsurprising action scene. Cinematic, perhaps, but a shootout with an inevitable ending doesn't make for great reading.
Glennie
Four stars,, cuz I really hate it when a major character does something SO stupid that you just know will get him/her injured. Geez!!
And I'm honestly getting tired of the whole Boldt/Matthews dance,, he needs to get over that, or leave his wife. It's just old news.
Jody
I really like Pearson's writing. I am thinking of reading his books in the YA section as well. He keeps you on the edge of your seat with characters you can easily warm up to. I plan on reading more as I get the chance.
Pizzle
Hell of a book. Back to the Ridley of old after the shortcoming that was The First Victim.

4.75/5 Stars
Magic Mary Austin
IN all fairness, Im just not into this genre. Im certain that I finished the book, but I cant remember what happens. I keep snatching up Ridley Pearson books because the book jackets say the book is suspenseful but not.
Joe O'c
Very Good; Continuing character: Det. Lou Boldt; a burglar preying on women is chased by a police force crippled by "Blue Flu"; and the striking members are looking to cause some havoc of their own.
Dundee Library
While both feature serial murders, series detective protagonists, bleak outlooks, graphic violence, and psychological implications, Ridley Pearson's novels are more densely written and thoughtful.
Vfields is happy!
I found the protagonist to be a good cop but a bit too emotional for me. Everything hurt his heart, put a lump in his throat or brought a tear to his eye. Someone tell me...How is a kiss an affair?
Ginny
A Lou Boldt novel, is it cop against cop as the Blue Flu hits Seattle and the cops who are still working are getting beaten up,Boldt must get to the bottom of this and a series of robberies.
J. Ewbank
This was a very good read by Ridley Pearson and Lou Boldt is the main character. Mystery readers will enjoy it.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Phil Mullen
Nice Lou Boldt piece, interesting 2ndary characters, bit of the old written-to-formula as regards the plot. Found myself skipping passages, which I always feel sad about choosing to do.
Harry Lane
Engaging, strong characterization, two track plot that was entwined in such a way the reader is uncertain to very near the end who is doing what to whom. Good police procedural.
  • The Renegades (Charlie Hood, #2)
  • The Road To Ruin (Dortmunder, #11)
  • Eye of the Storm (Sharon McCone, #8)
  • Where the Dead Lay (Frank Behr, #2)
  • Dead Watch
  • Gotham Central, Book Three: On the Freak Beat
  • Falsely Accused (Butch Karp, #8)
  • Faller fritt som i en dröm
  • Havana Blue
  • The Rainy City (Thomas Black, #1)
  • Winter of Secrets (Constable Molly Smith #3)
  • The Last Coyote / Trunk Music (Harry Bosch, #4, #5)
  • The Bum's Rush (Leo Waterman, #3)
  • The Ghost And The Dead Man's Library (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #3)
  • The Golden Orange
  • Ojos de agua (Leo Caldas, #1)
  • Trespasser (Mike Bowditch, #2)
Ridley Pearson is the author of more than twenty novels, including the New York Times bestseller KILLER WEEKEND; the Lou Boldt crime series; and many books for young readers, including the award-winning children's novels PETER AND THE STARCATCHERS, PETER AND THE SHADOW THIEVES, and PETER AND THE SECRET OF RUNDOON, which he cowrote with Dave Barry. Pearson lives with his wife and two daughters, div...more
More about Ridley Pearson...
Disney after Dark (Kingdom Keepers, #1) Disney at Dawn (Kingdom Keepers, #2) Disney in Shadow (Kingdom Keepers, #3) Power Play (Kingdom Keepers, #4) Shell Game (Kingdom Keepers, #5)