Start by marking “Mentally Ill in Amityville: Murder, Mystery, & Mayhem at 112 Ocean Ave.” as Want to Read:
Mentally Ill in Amityville: Murder, Mystery, & Mayhem at 112 Ocean Ave.

Mentally Ill in Amityville: Murder, Mystery, & Mayhem at 112 Ocean Ave.

3.05 of 5 stars 3.05  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  10 reviews
"On November 13, 1974 the quiet village of Amityville was rocked by the murders of six members of the DeFeo family at 112 Ocean Ave. The only surviving member of this tragic ordeal was Ronald DeFeo Jr., who was later charged and convicted to six-life-sentences. Still, the evidence shows that Ronnie ""Butch"" DeFeo could not have killed all six of his family members by hims ...more
Published (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Mentally Ill in Amityville, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mentally Ill in Amityville

Leigh Anne
I find both the DeFeo murder case, and the Amityville haunting intriguing. It was interesting to see some information that I'd not read before, such as the interview(s) with an elderly man who lived for years near the infamous home. The book gave enough information, and detail to keep me interested. However, I found the numerous misuse of words to be an irritating distraction. For instance when the author would mean to use the word "manner" it would be "manor", or when he meant to use "steal" it ...more
Bridget
I'm not going to rate it because I really don't want to read it now that I've seen the introduction. The story seems like it could be very interesting, but I think the style reads like a poorly written blog. It is not to my taste at all.

Also, when I read the sentence: "However, Weber's sorted past and lack of credibility also taints his version of the events" (p. xi)I cringed. Sordid! Not sorted, SORDID. Grr.
Kashmir White
I wonder if my copy of this book is possibly a later edition, since there are no grammatical errors of note and it seems just fine from a technical standpoint. Regarding the content: I loved this book! I'm going to look over my copy again before I post more of a review, but I'm pretty shocked everyone else seems to hate it!
Brandy Miller-dalrymple
I couldn't finish this book. It was just poorly written and poorly edited, if it was edited all. I think the author had a good idea with this book, but it needs a lot of work, in my opinion.
Nancy
Nov 23, 2011 Nancy rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No one.
I thought this would be a good book since it had both the murders and the hauntings. However the book had a lot of editing errors and was VERY repetitive. It read like an elementary student book report. Not worth the $5.00 it cost to buy.
Lesley Cann
I've read fan-fiction that was written better than this. It's rare for me to not finish a book once I've started it, but I'm making an exception for this one!! Don't waste your time or money.
Jeanine
Interesting book, some passages I had read verbatim elsewhere. A few bits of new information, but basically an overview of the DeFeo murders and the Lutz' experiences with the house.
David Pollastrini
Poorly written, poorly edited and apparently not proofread rehash of the other, better-written books about Amityville. This book covers absolutely no new ground.
Naomi E
I could not finish this book. As the other reviews have mentioned, this is poorly written and edited. Save your money.
Erika
Horribly written and WAY biased. Piece of crap.
Brandi Baria
Brandi Baria marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Maren
Maren marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Bookfan92
Bookfan92 marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Lori Smith
Lori Smith is currently reading it
May 22, 2014
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Ana Fernandes
Ana Fernandes marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Vox
Vox marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Mentally Ill in Amityville: Murder, Mystery, & Mayhem at 112 Ocean Ave. (2nd Edition) Jonestown: Don't Drink the Kool-Aid (the Complete Story Behind the Mysterious Jim Jones & His Exodus to Guyana) Jonestown: "Don't Drink the Kool-Aid": (The complete story behind the mysterious Jim Jones & his exodus to Guyana) The Study Abroad Murder: Trial of the Century