Start by marking “Mentally Ill in Amityville: Murder, Mystery, & Mayhem at 112 Ocean Ave.” as Want to Read:
Mentally Ill in Amityville: Murder, Mystery, & Mayhem at 112 Ocean Ave.

Mentally Ill in Amityville: Murder, Mystery, & Mayhem at 112 Ocean Ave.

3.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  47 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
"On November 13, 1974 the quiet village of Amityville was rocked by the murders of six members of the DeFeo family at 112 Ocean Ave. The only surviving member of this tragic ordeal was Ronald DeFeo Jr., who was later charged and convicted to six-life-sentences. Still, the evidence shows that Ronnie ""Butch"" DeFeo could not have killed all six of his family members by hims ...more
Published (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Mentally Ill in Amityville, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mentally Ill in Amityville

Leigh Anne
I find both the DeFeo murder case, and the Amityville haunting intriguing. It was interesting to see some information that I'd not read before, such as the interview(s) with an elderly man who lived for years near the infamous home. The book gave enough information, and detail to keep me interested. However, I found the numerous misuse of words to be an irritating distraction. For instance when the author would mean to use the word "manner" it would be "manor", or when he meant to use "steal" it ...more
Bridget
I'm not going to rate it because I really don't want to read it now that I've seen the introduction. The story seems like it could be very interesting, but I think the style reads like a poorly written blog. It is not to my taste at all.

Also, when I read the sentence: "However, Weber's sorted past and lack of credibility also taints his version of the events" (p. xi)I cringed. Sordid! Not sorted, SORDID. Grr.
Kashmir White
Mar 05, 2013 Kashmir White rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wonder if my copy of this book is possibly a later edition, since there are no grammatical errors of note and it seems just fine from a technical standpoint. Regarding the content: I loved this book! I'm going to look over my copy again before I post more of a review, but I'm pretty shocked everyone else seems to hate it!
Brandy Miller-dalrymple
I couldn't finish this book. It was just poorly written and poorly edited, if it was edited all. I think the author had a good idea with this book, but it needs a lot of work, in my opinion.
Nancy
Nov 23, 2011 Nancy rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one.
I thought this would be a good book since it had both the murders and the hauntings. However the book had a lot of editing errors and was VERY repetitive. It read like an elementary student book report. Not worth the $5.00 it cost to buy.
Lesley Cann
Jan 31, 2013 Lesley Cann rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've read fan-fiction that was written better than this. It's rare for me to not finish a book once I've started it, but I'm making an exception for this one!! Don't waste your time or money.
Jeanine
Feb 19, 2013 Jeanine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime, own-it
Interesting book, some passages I had read verbatim elsewhere. A few bits of new information, but basically an overview of the DeFeo murders and the Lutz' experiences with the house.
David Pollastrini
Poorly written, poorly edited and apparently not proofread rehash of the other, better-written books about Amityville. This book covers absolutely no new ground.
Naomi E
Apr 23, 2012 Naomi E rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I could not finish this book. As the other reviews have mentioned, this is poorly written and edited. Save your money.
Erika
Mar 24, 2012 Erika rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Horribly written and WAY biased. Piece of crap.
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Angie
Angie rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2016
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Christopher Robert owens
Christopher Robert owens marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Kristal
Kristal marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Meg
Meg rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2016
Vitor Mendes
Vitor Mendes marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Lindsayanne Haggath
Lindsayanne Haggath rated it it was ok
Dec 26, 2015
Amanda milliron
Amanda milliron rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2015
brittany
brittany rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2015
Minerva
Minerva rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2015
Ashley Simpson
Ashley Simpson rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2015
Liz Frazier
Liz Frazier marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
ashley
ashley rated it it was ok
Jul 12, 2015
Billie Curry
Billie Curry rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2015
Bob Cox
Bob Cox marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015