Start by marking “The Sentient Fire (The Seven Signs, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Sentient Fire (The Seven Signs, #1)

The Sentient Fire (The Seven Signs #1)

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  106 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
In one short night, Dormael Harlun’s life was changed forever.

Tired and half drunk, Dormael stumbled upon Shawna Llewan, a beautiful young woman, wounded and near death. What he didn’t realize was that his decision to come to her aid would be only the beginning of his unwitting role in a labyrinthine and perilous game.

Suddenly, Dormael and Shawna find themselves surrounded
Published (first published November 19th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Sentient Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sentient Fire

Angelfall by Susan EeFlat-Out Love by Jessica ParkThoughtless by S.C. StephensPlaying for Keeps by R.L. MathewsonHalf-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Cheap Kindle Books Worth Reading
294th out of 1,066 books — 1,081 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Fault in Our Stars by John GreenBoundless by Cynthia HandProdigy by Marie Lu
Book I want to read(2012/2013)
62nd out of 142 books — 94 voters

More lists with this book...

Ray Briggs
Feb 10, 2012 Ray Briggs rated it it was amazing
I found this to be an exciting book to read. The author introduced a magic system that was believable and did not stretch the bounds of reality beyond the acceptable. The character development was interesting and continued throughout the book so that new information was timely and lead to further developments in the story line.

There is one complaint about the book that will be taken care of over time. The sequel is not available so that I can continue the story. There are some series of books th
edifanob
Apr 14, 2012 edifanob rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-books, 2012-reads
electronic copy from the author

An impressive fantasy debut.

"The Briton in me would say: "Not bad for a fantasy debut novel. It is worth to take in consideration to read the next book in the series"

The German in me would say: "You get a lot of well executed content for your money. That is a true epic fantasy book."

The fantasy lover in me would say: "I found a gem before a publisher discovered it. A great debut. I can't wait to read the next book in the series."

Read my full review over at Edi's B
Claire
Apr 03, 2012 Claire rated it really liked it
This review is going to be hard to write, without giving away any spoilers. I just don't want to give it all away for you guys!

Let's start by saying this book is long. I am used to reading books that are roughly 350 odd pages. This was double that. Yet I never felt it dragging on! Instead of cramming information in, or leaving it out, D.W. Hawkins has just simply made the book long, and it works.

The character's were wonderfully written and you are able to relate to them. The heroes aren't perfec
Sheila
Jul 16, 2012 Sheila rated it really liked it
Richly imagined with meticulously developed theories of magic, history, myth, geography, politics and more, D.W. Hawkins’ The Sentient Fire is the first in a series of epic fantasy novels. But it stands alone as a well-drawn, well-finished novel in its own right. The level of detail can be overwhelming at times, but well-plotted history and geography are nicely fed into discussions between strangers (fast becoming friends) on a long and dangerous journey. The scenery switches between frozen wast ...more
Lisa
Apr 09, 2012 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Let me start by saying, this book is nearly 800 pages, so be warned, it is not a quick read, but believe me, it is worth it. The characters are engaging and human. They are not depicted as perfect, which makes it easier to connect with them and find them believable. One of my biggest pet peeves with reading any novel is when an author creates a character that is so far out of the realm of reality that there is no way a normal, average person like me can connect with them, as they have no flaws, ...more
Tammie
3 1/2 stars. It took me forever to finish this because I had so many other things going on and it was so long. I'll start with the good. I thought the characters were engaging. I liked how Dormael went from being a roving bachelor type to someone more mature. I thought Shawna was a good, strong female character who also retained her femininity. D'Jinn and Allen were both good supporting characters. The bad guys were very sinister which is how they should be. I began to dread reading the parts ab ...more
Melissa
Sep 29, 2012 Melissa rated it liked it
The book is loooooooong. I have to skip many paragraphs just to finish it. I find that even without following the story doggedly, I still get the gist. This book could use major culling. Maybe 30-40% can be scrapped without affecting the story line of this not-bad attempt of an epic which weaves it's own brand of magic and supernatural. It's important to note at this point that this tale leaves a blazing trail of blood and gore, so beware.

There's a load of new & unfamiliar information to tak
Cat
Nov 08, 2012 Cat rated it liked it
First of all, I didn't realize how long this book is. Generally speaking, I like long books. I love long series too. However, at this point I am just getting more and more frustrated. While the author is descriptive and explains a lot, it doesn't justify the length of things. On top of that there is a lot of repetitiveness (mostly gestures and phrases - seriously how many times do I need to be reminded Bethany is a child?!).

I do wish you got a closer look at characters (Dormeal, D'Jenn, Shawna,
Shyam
Jul 18, 2012 Shyam rated it it was amazing
It is refreshing to see a magic system explained, rather than be perpetually wondering exactly why things happen the way they do. Although initially it seemed like there might be too much explanation, that feeling wore of quickly, leading to a fairly well established narrative.

I feel that I am also left a bit optimistic after reading The Sentient Fire. Most of my recent fantasy reads have been "gritty", in which almost nothing goes right for the main characters. The Sentient Fire has none of tha
Lex
Dec 31, 2015 Lex rated it it was ok
Two white, virile, manly fighter-magician cousins with long, braided beards go on a quest to help a Strong Female Character (TM) and an orphaned girl, who ends-up manifesting super-dee-duper magic skillz of her own at a surPRIsingly young age. One of their virile, manly NON-magical fighter brothers eventually tags along for the adventure.

While the use and application of power/magic is interesting and somewhat sensical (ya know, for magic) this book is exceedingly long, and probably not worth you
Sep 20, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. I got a free copy for my kindle and liked it so much I bought the paper version. I read an average of 300-350 pages a day and the fact that it took me three days to finish this book is wonderful. The characters were not only felt "real" but also maintained a believable development throughout the story. I can't wait for more!
Mary
Sep 08, 2014 Mary added it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Long, drawn-out repetitive sequences, characters repeating what they said a few moments earlier, descriptions of characters repeated each time the character appears in the story. Writer has a good plotline, needs an editor/proofreader badly!
Betty Jo Pritchett
May 19, 2013 Betty Jo Pritchett marked it as never-finished
Not sure why I couldn't finished this book. Maybe some day I will. The characters and plot are great. I think it's just moving too slow for me. And I can't quite connect with any one of the characters.
Areland
Oct 18, 2012 Areland rated it really liked it
A true epic fantasy. I enjoyed reading this book very much. Writing style reminded me of Terry Brooks. I will definitely look forward to reading more from this author.
Heather
Jul 03, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
The book was very well written. It was very lomg thogh and could easily have been broken down into seperate books.
Dom
Jun 25, 2012 Dom rated it really liked it
good becoming to an epic tale. slow at times but a rewarding read overall
Pearse
Nov 17, 2012 Pearse rated it really liked it
A great read. Look forward to reading the next books in the series.
David Keyes
Jul 28, 2012 David Keyes rated it it was amazing
Good book!
Melinda Gray
Melinda Gray marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Tracy L
Tracy L rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2016
Cory Barnett
Cory Barnett marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Nihar
Nihar marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Barbie
Barbie rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2016
Justin Gasal
Justin Gasal marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
The Book Hermit
The Book Hermit marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Gary O'Brien
Gary O'Brien marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Rooindia
Rooindia marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Book information outdated 6 25 Jul 03, 2015 04:42AM
Q&A with D.w. Haw...: The Story 1 5 Jan 19, 2012 02:23PM
Q&A with D.w. Haw...: Writing, Publishing Process 1 3 Jan 19, 2012 02:07PM
Q&A with D.w. Haw...: Introduction 1 3 Jan 19, 2012 02:04PM
  • Firefly Island, an Epic Fantasy
  • Soul Seeker (Lasniniar, #1)
  • Amulet (DragonBlade #1)
  • The Ruins of Evermore: The TimeLight Awakenings (#1&2)
  • The Dragoneers (The Chronicles of Susah, #1)
  • Fall: The Last Testament of Lucifer Morningstar
  • Redheart (Leland Dragon #1)
  • Raven's Heart: A Tale from the World of Secramore
  • Children of Sun and Moon (Skyfall, #1)
  • The Last Goddess (The Shattered Messiah #1)
  • The Weight of a Crown (The Azhaion Saga)
  • The Sable City (Norothian Cycle, #1)
  • Billy: Messenger of Powers (Billy Jones, #1)
  • In the House of Five Dragons
  • Neverdark
  • First Chosen (Tears of Rage, #1)
  • The Brotherhood of Dwarves (The Brotherhood of Dwarves, #1)
  • The Nine Keys of Magic
D.W. Hawkins grew up in rural Georgia. He developed a love for reading at a young age and carried that through college, then into the Army. He served for nine years and saw three deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan. He published his first book, The Sentient Fire, after his last deployment. He currently resides in Arizona, and you can find him working on his next book, riding his Harley, or playing ...more
More about D.W. Hawkins...

The Seven Signs (2 books)
  • The Awakening Storm (The Seven Signs, #2)