Start by marking “The Line Of Illeniel (Mageborn, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Line Of Illeniel (Mageborn, #2)

The Line Of Illeniel (Mageborn #2)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  3,892 ratings  ·  70 reviews
Mordecai has discovered his heritage and must take up the mantle of a lord of the realm, while figuring out what it really means to be a mage of the line of Illeniel. He is beset on both sides by allies and enemies trying to control or destroy his future. Gods and kings both seek to manipulate him for their own ends, and no matter what he chooses his loved ones will suffer ...more
Published October 9th 2011 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Line Of Illeniel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Line Of Illeniel

Mike (the Paladin)
Ahhh...the story proceeds. I'm really enjoying this series, which is good as most of the books/series I've "really" liked lately have proved to be the only one available in that series for the next year.

I found the characters fairly interesting from the get-go in this tale and got this one not long after I finished the first. There we saw Mordecai find who he really is, find his true love (and as much as I "don't" care for romance I survived it), come into his power, fight his first big battle a
Sasha
Since I read this one right after book 1 I didn't have any time to become accustomed to good writing again. Therefore I had not complaints this time around. But I finally figured out that when the protagonist starts talking crap it's the author trying to be sarcastic or ironic or whatever. MGM needs to rethink that whole thing though. It doesn't come off very well initially.

Anyhow, I really liked this installment. There's alot going on: historical discoveries; moral dilemmas; and changing relati
Tom
I think there is a good story floating around in here but it is difficult to stay immersed in it. There are so many contemporary references and slang that keeps me from believing in that world.

For me, fantasy is about being transported into another world and I had trouble getting there on this one. My Kindle version was a bargain but I don't think it was worth more than I paid.
Erin
This was an ok book. I felt like the majority of the book was the two main characters squabbling like teenagers. I found myself flipping over most of the dialogue and scenes between the two since the was really no substance to what they had to say. The plot and outcome were very obvious. I probably won't read the next installment.
Hollie
This book was just as, if not more so, addicting than the first one. The roller coaster of emotion between Mordecai and Penelope gets a bit much at times, but hey, young love. It's probably a fairly accurate portrayal of how two teenagers in love and under that kind of stress would be. There is plenty of action in this book, and sarcastic humor abounds. Read: warning to those readers that don't appreciate that sort of humor.

One thing I like about this story is that the protagonists aren't alway
Anoop Menon
gripping , and better than the first book...interesting and refreshing.
Scott Wozniak
This story was heavier than the first one of the series. I mean that in terms of plot--much more troubles and loss. It's also true of the characters--much more anger and pain. But it wasn't so dark that it weighed down the story.

I wouldn't recommend it for kids--too many hard issues raised to make it fun for them--but I think the people and the plot grew up a bit from the first book. As I hoped, once he got past the stereotypical boy-discovers-powers tale, the author offered some original ideas
Stephen
Manning manages to create characters and a world so clearly that as you move through the book it is easy to imagine even the littlest of details. The magic, battles, stories within stories he creates are epic and although the idea of a young man coming of age who finds out he can do magic ..... is not new, Manning manages to give it a whole new twist and when you mix that with a truly great and unique writing style, Manning brings a much needed new breath into the world of Fantasy. I imagine we ...more
Scout Sinclair Brody
I wish I could get into these books, but I find the frequent grammatical errors to be downright distracting. I may be more of a stickler for punctuation than most people, but the rampant lack of commas alone makes me want to pull my hair out and scream--- in part because the universe and fantastical elements could otherwise make the story quite entertaining. (It wouldn't be a great work of literature, but could stand on its own as light fantasy.)

An example: " 'At least one of you has some sense
LazerWraith
This was a great book. I gave this book 5 stars because I enjoyed it a ton...despite the lack of good editing. Commas are a weakness for Manning, it seems. ;)

However, it is easy to please me. All I need is a story (preferably first person) from the POV of a powerful magical being, and the more powerful he is compared to everyone else, the more I like the story (I suppose that there is a point where the main character's power would solve all problems quickly and ruin the book, but I've never read
C

It's a good story & I want to give this more stars, but it needs an editor's love to sort out grammatical errors, trim fluff, flesh out a few scenes and comb out all the snarls and tangles for continuity. There were times I had the feeling of looking out a car window as the landscape flashes by - passing through a bit too quickly to really feel I was in the story.

That said, some of the grammatical/continuity issues I had in book one did not appear in book two. I feel like this is one of thos
Asaviel
"Lasst nicht zu, dass euer Verstand das Herz aufhält, Junge. Der Verstand bringt immer nur alles durcheinander, glaubt mir." (Seite 77)

Nach dem Beenden von dem Vorgängerband (Das Erwachen - Band 1) hatte ich mir erhofft und versprochen, dass der Autor mit "Der Bund" sich noch steigern kann und mich damit dann vollständig überzeugt, denn es folgen schließlich noch Bücher in dieser Reihe und die Grundidee ist spannend.
Dabei bleibt es auch in diesem Buch. Die Idee ist spannend. Das Magiesystem ist
Lisa Cox
I didn't like this, the 2nd in the series, quite as much as I did the first. I think there were two reasons: 1) the "new" had worn off a little, and 2) it was somewhat darker.

I kind of blundered into the first book after downloading a bunch of freebies for the Kindle. Most of those freebies were simply drek. However, Mageborn was a breath of fresh air. I loved the author's writing style so much that I rushed out and bought his 2nd book, so I didn't have that history of a long line of bad books j
Jess
It’s getting so much better.
In his Acknowledgements Michael G. Manning mentions the death of his real life father and how this reflects in the way he wrote the second half of the novel, and even without him telling me this you can really sense a change in mood. The tone of this second instalment from the Mageborn series is a lot darker, the main character Mort now has a lot of adult issues to deal with, and a lot of personal heartache to tend to while fighting a war.

The battle scenes were very
P.A. Wilson
This is the second book in the series and I reviewed the first one a few weeks ago. In the second book, the story gets a bit darker. Our hero has to protect the kingdom against overwhelming odds and his allies don’t all support his plans. When the king worries that he has a mad mage on his hands, things get really interesting.
If you liked the first one, Mageborn, you’ll like this one too. Our hero takes on more challenges and settles into the power that woke in the first book of the series.
Underground Book Reviews
Manning doesn’t miss a beat and builds on the strengths that made Blacksmith such a good book. While he introduces a few new minor characters, Manning spends most of the novel building upon the established characters. Illeniel possesses a faster pace, more moving parts, and significantly more action than Blacksmith. A lesser writer might have lost his way.

With The Line of Illeniel Michael G. Manning proves Blacksmith’s Son was no fluke. He also demonstrates a self-published author can deliver a
Jeanie
A great installment for a very good series. I think I can guess where the series winds up, but it has been an enjoyable journey. This shouldn't be a factor in my reading, but I particularly like that the author of this book is a pharmacist. I admire people who become writers while having a career.
MarsianMan
Mordecai must become the noble and wizard he was born to be. Sadly Penny foresees his death in a war within the year. Mordecai, Penny, and his friends must scramble to come up with a plan that will save their people and their kingdom.

This book is a bit longer and a bit darker. The story gave a lot more depth to the characters and addressed what I thought were the weaknesses in the first book. I cannot wait to see where the series continues to go. It kept me seriously riveted. I finished this the
Stephen Tamatoa
Unfortunately this novel goes downhill from the solid first book.
The romance becomes the focus of the book and much of it is fairly silly and childish.
Kenn Anderson
This great series continues with Mort having to defend his newly bestowed lands. As the mad god moves his army into the valley, Mort has to come to grips with using his power to kill many thousands of men. A good story with lots of action with a little love story thrown in. I am currently looking to get the next book in the series.
Sourav Sinha
very informative.... a filler in the series
Shady Lubbad
Amazing... I loved it..
Jenni (jenniloveselvis)
WARNING SPOILERS!

I am enjoying this series. Blacksmith's son had some technical issues but overall the story was there and it was entertaining. The Line of Illeniel, you can tell he is working on the technical issues. The story development was great and I cried when Mordecai's dad died. The characters are evolving. In Blacksmith's son, the characters were pretty two dimensional and didn't appear too complex. In this second book, readers begin to see there's more to the characters than originally
Lynne
Thoroughly enjoyable. I'm hooked and ready to start the next installment!
Chris Cassella
Excellent book! Just as good as the first.
Steven
I liked this book, once i started i couldn't put it down.
This was so much better than the first one.
The world building feels like this could become an epic set of books maybe like Raymond Feist's books and span generations, the only thing i want is as much as i like the 2 main characters all the rest feel a little boring like the author has poured all the personality into the 2.
I want more, i'm just about to start the third and i can't wait.

Ryan Philbrick
Life's to short for giant time skis between books, I really hate the whole 7 yrs later story start.
Carry
i'm enjoying reading this series. i wouldn't say they were the best written of books, but i like the feelings within the story, and how the characters interact. it's not too deep, but there are moments when you really feels for the characters and i find it quite easy to relate to the things they're going through or the actions they decide to take.
Mnoraznan
The story plod at its own pace. Towards the end, i almost lost my patience.
Sean Randall
Mort's personality is forced to undergo a rapid growing up. Some of the choices he makes seem a little cold, and some of the tantrums he throws are far too adolescent to be genuine - he seemed to have moved beyond that point earlier, somehow.

Still, I enjoyed it, love the world he's built and will be buying book 3 without hesitation.
  • The Dragonswarm (Dragonprince Trilogy, #2)
  • Blood of the Earth (Sovereign of the Seven Isles, #4)
  • Wielder's Rising (Wielder, #2)
  • Magic Awakening (The Five Kingdom, #2)
  • The Sorcerer's Vengeance (The Sorcerer's Path, #4)
  • Balancer (Advent Mage Cycle, #4)
  • Child of the Sword (The Gods Within, #1)
  • Zero Sum (Zero Sight, #2)
  • Knight Esquire (The Young Ancients, #2)
Michael Manning, a retired pharmacist, has been a fantasy and science-fiction reader for most of his life. He has dabbled in software design, fantasy art, and is an avid tree climber. He lives in Texas, with his stubborn wife, two kids, and a menagerie of fantastic creatures, including a moose-poodle, a vicious yorkie, and a giant prehistoric turtle.
More about Michael G. Manning...
The Blacksmith's Son (Mageborn, #1) The Archmage Unbound (Mageborn, #3) The God-Stone War (Mageborn, #4) The Final Redemption (Mageborn, #5) The Mountains Rise (Embers of Illeniel #1)

“The key word is shouldn’t,” he said grimly. “It isn’t a word I like to hear when it comes to battle. That word has killed more men than any other word, except perhaps one.” He waited for my inevitable question. I sighed and asked, “What word is that?” “Charge,” he replied with a smile.” 0 likes
“Quite a bit of his swearing was pure nautical genius.” 0 likes