Start by marking “The Line Of Illeniel (Mageborn, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Line Of Illeniel (Mageborn, #2)

The Line Of Illeniel (Mageborn #2)

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,046 Ratings  ·  92 Reviews
Mordecai has discovered his heritage and must take up the mantle of a lord of the realm, while figuring out what it really means to be a mage of the line of Illeniel. He is beset on both sides by allies and enemies trying to control or destroy his future. Gods and kings both seek to manipulate him for their own ends, and no matter what he chooses his loved ones will suffer ...more
Published October 9th 2011 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Line Of Illeniel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Line Of Illeniel

Tom
Dec 19, 2011 Tom rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fantasy
I think there is a good story floating around in here but it is difficult to stay immersed in it. There are so many contemporary references and slang that keeps me from believing in that world.

For me, fantasy is about being transported into another world and I had trouble getting there on this one. My Kindle version was a bargain but I don't think it was worth more than I paid.
Sasha
Dec 01, 2011 Sasha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Since I read this one right after book 1 I didn't have any time to become accustomed to good writing again. Therefore I had not complaints this time around. But I finally figured out that when the protagonist starts talking crap it's the author trying to be sarcastic or ironic or whatever. MGM needs to rethink that whole thing though. It doesn't come off very well initially.

Anyhow, I really liked this installment. There's alot going on: historical discoveries; moral dilemmas; and changing relati
Erin
Nov 01, 2011 Erin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was an ok book. I felt like the majority of the book was the two main characters squabbling like teenagers. I found myself flipping over most of the dialogue and scenes between the two since the was really no substance to what they had to say. The plot and outcome were very obvious. I probably won't read the next installment.
Mike (the Paladin)
Aug 29, 2013 Mike (the Paladin) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Ahhh...the story proceeds. I'm really enjoying this series, which is good as most of the books/series I've "really" liked lately have proved to be the only one available in that series for the next year.

I found the characters fairly interesting from the get-go in this tale and got this one not long after I finished the first. There we saw Mordecai find who he really is, find his true love (and as much as I "don't" care for romance I survived it), come into his power, fight his first big battle a
John
Mar 23, 2015 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Second book continued the authors strong showing in the first book.All the characters are interesting.Dialogue is witty and often comedic at times.I really enjoyed the back and forth banter between Mort and Penny.I am enjoying that the story isnt all over the place with hundreds of characters.I also have enjoyed that the main character Mordecai "Mort" makes several mistakes and has a penchant for saying the wrong thing at the wrong time which kind of endears him to you the reader.Flawed characte ...more
Scout Sinclair Brody
I wish I could get into these books, but I find the frequent grammatical errors to be downright distracting. I may be more of a stickler for punctuation than most people, but the rampant lack of commas alone makes me want to pull my hair out and scream--- in part because the universe and fantastical elements could otherwise make the story quite entertaining. (It wouldn't be a great work of literature, but could stand on its own as light fantasy.)

An example: " 'At least one of you has some sense
Hollie
Jan 09, 2012 Hollie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was just as, if not more so, addicting than the first one. The roller coaster of emotion between Mordecai and Penelope gets a bit much at times, but hey, young love. It's probably a fairly accurate portrayal of how two teenagers in love and under that kind of stress would be. There is plenty of action in this book, and sarcastic humor abounds. Read: warning to those readers that don't appreciate that sort of humor.

One thing I like about this story is that the protagonists aren't alway
Dianna
Aug 11, 2015 Dianna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up
I started this book hoping the writing and the anachronisms would have improved since the first book, but it was more of the same thing. I don't want to read about Joe the farmer, how their travels feel like a camping vacation, or that there were multiple bedrooms in their chamber once they arrived at the king's castle.

And it wasn't just the anachronisms; the writing itself continued to come off as very immature (there was more of the annoying switching between 1st and 3rd person narrative) and
Ken
Jan 01, 2015 Ken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good read good time

I am enjoying this book and series! I like the characters, storyline and like the humor put into the characters. The humor and comments (humorous) really add to the 'flavor' of the character(s) for me. Mort and Penny go on like good friends and an old married couple - lightens the mood and shows another aspect of characters. Just as when Mort turned cold and talked about the true face of war - killing your enemy! Yes the enemy have family and extended family but when being att
Erica
Sep 21, 2015 Erica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If anything, this book is even more immature than the first one. The first half of the book tried to cover too much and moved too fast for me to really feel immersed in the plot. The main character is arrogant and makes the same mistakes repeatedly without taking away any lessons from it. The relationship between the two main characters has no depth. I wanted to like the book, but it was very mediocre.
Anoop Menon
Jan 29, 2014 Anoop Menon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
gripping , and better than the first book...interesting and refreshing.
David Keefe
The book and story was written well enough for me to keep reading. But I can't stop thinking about how a young man who is very shy and just coming into his self gets the strength to out do better trained and experienced foes. I think what I'm trying to say is since this is all new to

Scott Wozniak
Feb 25, 2014 Scott Wozniak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story was heavier than the first one of the series. I mean that in terms of plot--much more troubles and loss. It's also true of the characters--much more anger and pain. But it wasn't so dark that it weighed down the story.

I wouldn't recommend it for kids--too many hard issues raised to make it fun for them--but I think the people and the plot grew up a bit from the first book. As I hoped, once he got past the stereotypical boy-discovers-powers tale, the author offered some original ideas
Stephen
Aug 15, 2014 Stephen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Manning manages to create characters and a world so clearly that as you move through the book it is easy to imagine even the littlest of details. The magic, battles, stories within stories he creates are epic and although the idea of a young man coming of age who finds out he can do magic ..... is not new, Manning manages to give it a whole new twist and when you mix that with a truly great and unique writing style, Manning brings a much needed new breath into the world of Fantasy. I imagine we ...more
Isaac
May 17, 2016 Isaac rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It is pretty much the same as first book.

I personally see this book in two ways:
1. You hate it because of the amateur writing.
2 You like it because of the ideas the author threw together.

I love to give this book a higher rating but it's overly high as it is. I like the ideas. But I don't like Mort and the characters are, ultimately, shallow.

I think, this is one of the novels with better ideas but with not-as-good writing. I think the narrator fixed all the grammatical errors that people had b
LazerWraith
Oct 21, 2011 LazerWraith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was a great book. I gave this book 5 stars because I enjoyed it a ton...despite the lack of good editing. Commas are a weakness for Manning, it seems. ;)

However, it is easy to please me. All I need is a story (preferably first person) from the POV of a powerful magical being, and the more powerful he is compared to everyone else, the more I like the story (I suppose that there is a point where the main character's power would solve all problems quickly and ruin the book, but I've never read
C
Aug 11, 2013 C rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

It's a good story & I want to give this more stars, but it needs an editor's love to sort out grammatical errors, trim fluff, flesh out a few scenes and comb out all the snarls and tangles for continuity. There were times I had the feeling of looking out a car window as the landscape flashes by - passing through a bit too quickly to really feel I was in the story.

That said, some of the grammatical/continuity issues I had in book one did not appear in book two. I feel like this is one of thos
Asaviel
Oct 13, 2013 Asaviel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"Lasst nicht zu, dass euer Verstand das Herz aufhält, Junge. Der Verstand bringt immer nur alles durcheinander, glaubt mir." (Seite 77)

Nach dem Beenden von dem Vorgängerband (Das Erwachen - Band 1) hatte ich mir erhofft und versprochen, dass der Autor mit "Der Bund" sich noch steigern kann und mich damit dann vollständig überzeugt, denn es folgen schließlich noch Bücher in dieser Reihe und die Grundidee ist spannend.
Dabei bleibt es auch in diesem Buch. Die Idee ist spannend. Das Magiesystem ist
Lisa Cox
Feb 01, 2013 Lisa Cox rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like this, the 2nd in the series, quite as much as I did the first. I think there were two reasons: 1) the "new" had worn off a little, and 2) it was somewhat darker.

I kind of blundered into the first book after downloading a bunch of freebies for the Kindle. Most of those freebies were simply drek. However, Mageborn was a breath of fresh air. I loved the author's writing style so much that I rushed out and bought his 2nd book, so I didn't have that history of a long line of bad books j
Jess
Mar 25, 2013 Jess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s getting so much better.
In his Acknowledgements Michael G. Manning mentions the death of his real life father and how this reflects in the way he wrote the second half of the novel, and even without him telling me this you can really sense a change in mood. The tone of this second instalment from the Mageborn series is a lot darker, the main character Mort now has a lot of adult issues to deal with, and a lot of personal heartache to tend to while fighting a war.

The battle scenes were very
P.A. Wilson
May 26, 2014 P.A. Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the series and I reviewed the first one a few weeks ago. In the second book, the story gets a bit darker. Our hero has to protect the kingdom against overwhelming odds and his allies don’t all support his plans. When the king worries that he has a mad mage on his hands, things get really interesting.
If you liked the first one, Mageborn, you’ll like this one too. Our hero takes on more challenges and settles into the power that woke in the first book of the series.
Elizabeth Fantham
Again not the greatest in terms of writing. The plot/storyline has great potential. I read these back to back and will continue with them all back to back. A lot is overdone. The sarcasm (which I typically enjoy) is too much. It comes off as more "eye rolling" for myself as opposed to "ha!".

Still though the storyline is good and I do know the writing gets better. The author has fantastic ideas, it's just his execution of them that is off.
Underground Book Reviews
Manning doesn’t miss a beat and builds on the strengths that made Blacksmith such a good book. While he introduces a few new minor characters, Manning spends most of the novel building upon the established characters. Illeniel possesses a faster pace, more moving parts, and significantly more action than Blacksmith. A lesser writer might have lost his way.

With The Line of Illeniel Michael G. Manning proves Blacksmith’s Son was no fluke. He also demonstrates a self-published author can deliver a
Carol Everson
Jun 06, 2016 Carol Everson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes the fates can be changed

After young Mordecai has come of age his world as he knows it has changed. Faced with the prospect of war with the greedy Vendraccus of the next country he gathers his resources for victory. Afterwards got to see how the king and him get it together..
Jeanie
Mar 11, 2014 Jeanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great installment for a very good series. I think I can guess where the series winds up, but it has been an enjoyable journey. This shouldn't be a factor in my reading, but I particularly like that the author of this book is a pharmacist. I admire people who become writers while having a career.
Todd
Dec 30, 2015 Todd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent read, very traditional fantasy novel, but with a 'modern' character development. The characters are all very realistic in their actions/thoughts/emotions.

I will need to read more of this series. I'm not sure why I took so long to get to the second novel in the trilogy.
Jim Pike
Jul 07, 2015 Jim Pike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent tale in this series. Again, I found myself laughing out loud at times. Also had tears at other times. I'm thoroughly enjoying this series. Adding it to my "Favorites of all time" list. It ranks right up there with The Riftwar Cycle series (Which is to date, by most favorite series).
M.L.
Nov 01, 2015 M.L. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book expands on the first novel while providing more background to ponder upon. Still, I feel it is not strong enough in actual battle scenes; much of what happens appears to be too abstract.
Joseph Vanucchi
Oct 31, 2015 Joseph Vanucchi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

Yeah,there's nothing like finding an author I like,whose already put out a lot of books. No waiting for the next one. Like this one a lot, as usual the story flows pretty seamlessly. Royce is great character, I think every tale needs one. The dedication was touching and I definitely felt the bond the author was trying to convey. Wow,my reviews are rambling. Anyway I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves pace. And I like how the point of view switches effortlessly with barely a paus
MarsianMan
Jul 12, 2012 MarsianMan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mordecai must become the noble and wizard he was born to be. Sadly Penny foresees his death in a war within the year. Mordecai, Penny, and his friends must scramble to come up with a plan that will save their people and their kingdom.

This book is a bit longer and a bit darker. The story gave a lot more depth to the characters and addressed what I thought were the weaknesses in the first book. I cannot wait to see where the series continues to go. It kept me seriously riveted. I finished this the
  • The Dragonswarm (Dragonprince Trilogy, #2)
  • Mindbender (Sovereign of the Seven Isles, #3)
  • The Sorcerer's Torment (The Sorcerer's Path, #2)
  • Wielder's Rising (Wielder, #2)
  • Magic Awakening (The Five Kingdom, #2)
  • The Wayfarer King (The Kinshield Saga, #2)
  • Advent (Advent Mage Cycle, #3)
  • The Sartious Mage (The Rhythm of Rivalry, #1.5)
  • Knight of the Realm (The Young Ancients, #3)
Michael Manning was born in Cleveland, Texas and spent his formative years there, reading fantasy and science fiction, concocting home grown experiments in his backyard, and generally avoiding schoolwork.

Eventually he went to college, starting at Sam Houston State University, where his love of beer blossomed and his obsession with playing role-playing games led him to what he calls 'his best year
More about Michael G. Manning...

Mageborn (5 books)
  • The Blacksmith's Son (Mageborn, #1)
  • The Archmage Unbound (Mageborn, #3)
  • The God-Stone War (Mageborn, #4)
  • The Final Redemption (Mageborn, #5)

“The key word is shouldn’t,” he said grimly. “It isn’t a word I like to hear when it comes to battle. That word has killed more men than any other word, except perhaps one.” He waited for my inevitable question. I sighed and asked, “What word is that?” “Charge,” he replied with a smile.” 3 likes
“Quite a bit of his swearing was pure nautical genius.” 2 likes