Start by marking “ How to Win at the Sport of Business: If I Can Do It, You Can Do It” as Want to Read:
  How to Win at the Sport of Business: If I Can Do It, You Can Do It

How to Win at the Sport of Business: If I Can Do It, You Can Do It

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  1,478 ratings  ·  116 reviews
Mark Cuban shares his wealth of experience and business savvy in his first published book, How to Win at the Sport of Business, available now only as an e-book. Using the greatest material from his popular Blog Maverick, he has collected and updated his postings on business and life to provide a catalog of insider knowledge on what it takes to become a thriving entrepreneu ...more
Published (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about How to Win at the Sport of Business, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Win at the Sport of Business

Henry
The best $2.99 I've ever spent. Mark Cuban breaks it down on how he has achieved being a multi billionaire. This is not a self help book, nor a law of attraction bs. It's a practical guide on how to save as much cash as you can so when you're ready to start a business or plan your next big move, you're not tied to a loan or a bank. This book was not written with pompous hot air, unlike other millionaires who have written books on how they did it; and end up writing more about how great or how mu ...more
Gisela Hausmann
Personally I do not understand the criticism of some of the reviewers stating that this is “ONLY” a collection of blogs from Mark Cuban. To those I say, “If you don’t want to shell out $2.99 for a collection of Mark Cuban’s thoughts you are probably never going to be as successful as Mark Cuban.” Successful people know that everything costs something, including intelligent thoughts. Personally I think that all important blogs should be published in blog-collection-books; filing them in “archives ...more
Aaron Ash
This is an e-book and the author warns readers at the beginning that it is basically a collection of blog posts edited together. Heed the warning. If scattered thoughts, occasional tangents, and unintended repetition bother you, don't read this book.

If you are a young person wanting some good advice from a very wealthy individual who made his own way in the world, this is for you.
Jeff Suwak
I really hate the five star rating systems. The experience of reading any given book can't be so easily quantified.

I very rarely give 5 stars to a book. This one would be more like 3 if we were talking about a great book to read from front to front.

But, the way I used this book was to read bits and pieces while waiting for dinner, sitting on the bus, waiting in line...I just kind of nibbled at it, and in that capacity it was brilliant and a 5 star book.

Mark is honest and straight forward. He d
Nancy
If you are looking for a numerated, step by step guide to the path of billions, move along.

As Mark states upfront, this is a collection of his blog posts. Which you should probably be reading already, truth be told.

Mark is well known for his shoot from the hip, no bullshit, intense personality. He's not going to make hard work, damn hard work, look easy. Unless of course, like him, your blood runs thick with damn hard work.

Whether you are starting college majoring in business or fifty years ol
Alexfitzgerald88
A really enjoyable read, albeit too short. It's really the only reason I couldn't give this book five stars. For how prolific a blogger Mark Cuban is supposed to be, it is odd that a book based on his entries should only run 74 pages long.

That said, many of Cuban's life lessons are prolific. It was certainly worth the $3.00 I spent on it. As someone who runs a small business, I felt like a mentor gave me some sage advice through Mark Cuban's written word. Many times I gleaned a lesson I felt wo
Camilo Martinez
Lots of great advice and quotes that I can take with me as I begin to think about my career.
Samara
Some good parts, some that didn't resonate with me personally. I think he's 1000000% right about how important it is to SELL and have sales experience. And if you don't know what you want to do, or don't know how to get to your dream job, start in sales. I did, and it set me up for where I am today. He also has strong points for not listening to your customers, which I found interesting, and some great one liners I look forward to adding to my roster, like "no balls, no babies".
Callie Rose Tyler
Wow, I am truly shocked at this book's high rating. It is spectacularly awful. I knew absolutely nothing about Cuban before reading, I had never even heard his name. Now I can say that I find him to be a complete and utter douche.

My company bought this book for everyone to read leading up to our yearly kickoff. Almost no one finished it. It became the butt of the joke for the entire event, at least my co-workers bonded over mutual dislike, so that's something...

Mark Cuban, it seems you are succe
Jorge Figueroa
De la existencia de Mark Cuban me enteré porque es dueño de los Mavericks de Dallas, un odiado rival de mis amados Lakers.

Me entero que tiene mucho tiempo escribiendo en un blog donde no pretende conocer la receta mágica, y tampoco la esconde, eso es lo que me gusto de este "libro" estoy seguro que hay Kindle singles más largos, cuenta que tuvo mucha suerte, siempre se esforzó y aprendió de sus fracasos.

Lo estuve citando mucho en amazon/twitter y facebook, y creo que vale la pena rescatar alguna
José Antonio Lopez
Mark Cuban offers a tour to his mind. It is one of the best book I have read to understand the thinking of the entrepreneur. Many times we are offered books with oversold stories about successful entrepreneurs and companies. Mark gives an honest uncompromised view of his journey and thinking, what he values and how he sets priorities.

As he points it out: "The point of all this is that it doesn't matter how many times you fail. It doesn't matter how many times you almost get it right. No one is g
Dave
(A short e-book, but hey, I'll put on here anything I can as read. My time nowadays is usually spent consulting programming books that I of course never have to finish. This was a quick and fun read on my phone.)

Being a basketball fan and an occasional reader of his blog, I've always enjoyed Mark Cuban and this book made me appreciate him even more. He made his money in the technology era when Microsoft was just getting started. Not primarily a technical guy but a salesman, he took the extra ste
John
This is a great little book, mostly a collection of Mark Cuban's blog posts over the years. Nothing wrong with that though, it's all collected it one place and nicely edited.

There's a lot of wisdom from the man, one of the main guys of Shark Tank and owner of the Dallas Mavericks. It details how he got to be successful and though that you get some great insight on running a business.

One of the tips is that it's ok to start slow. Cuban argues against venture capital because one you take it you
Ka
Mark Cuban is the entrepreneur owner of the Dallas Mavericks NBA team; a familiar personality in the US, though not quite as well known across the pond here in the UK or Europe. This is probably understandable, given that most of his business interests are based in the US, but I would argue that his kind of intelligent, bold, modernist, relentless and hard-working entrepreneurial spirit (along with that of similar entrepreneurs such as Richard Branson) is exactly what the world needs more of.

As
Nathan
Someone raved about this book, I bought it. It's okay, but not great. It's a collection of blog posts about Cuban's business life, from early days as a kid selling TV repair franchises, tending bars, and selling software. He is a good salesman and aggressive to spot opportunities and grow his business. It was good to see that he's self-admittedly lousy with paperwork and the stuff that he has an assistant to handle; comforting that you don't have to be a do-it-all superman to succeed.

The chapter
Byron
It's just a collection of blog posts by Mark Cuban. I know he's been blogging forever, though I've never read his blog (otherwise I wouldn't have bothered), so I'm not sure why it's so short. As long as we're just copying an pasting, why not go hog wild! Maybe the emphasis was on posts that are autobiographical in nature and posts having to do with, ahem, how to win at the sport of business. I liked the parts about when he was a young IT professional on the come up down in Dallas, living on happ ...more
Luis Moreira
It's simple, short, OK book.
You can almost read it in 3 hours and you get to know what's on the mind of this entrepreneur from his early stages.
I like his stories as a software salesman and some ideas and life lessons.
It's a good book to motivate and add some joy on our everyday work, but in no way this book is worth 10. It's just too expensive. That's why I give 3 stars, other wise I would rate it 4 stars.
Jeremy Eackles
Mark Cuban, billionaire entrepreneur and owner of my beloved Dallas Mavericks, clearly knows how to win at the sports of business. In this book, he explains concepts on how to achieved success, do and don't of business, and how he leaned from his multiple failures. As an aspiring entrepreneur, it's a great read to learn from and take to your business life. Probably the best $2.99 I ever spent!
Osamah Islam
of the many reviews i have made, this is the 1st 5 stars review i have provided
every thing right about writing a book is in this book:
1- realistic
2- practical advises
3- Short
4-Actionable
5- entertaining
6- and above all... Life changing
Mr Cuban proves to me everyday that am right to be one of his biggest fans!
Go mavs.

James Christensen
Best $3 bucks you can spend if you get it via Kindle. I'm not a Mark Cuban fan, and I'm not a basketball fan. It doesn't matter though. I respect his business acumen. This is basically a collection of very casual blog posts. It's 100 pages maybe, but it is chock full of motivational stories. Seriously - pick it up.
Dbough
Mark is really successful, so I figured I'd read his book. It's basically a bunch of his blog posts packaged into a single place. Not the best writer, but it was easy to read and I'm sure I must have gotten something good out of it somewhere.
Dvir Oren
I love his attitude but the book isn't a book, it's a collection of articles he wrote in the past.

We all can learn from his attitude and work athic, but I didn't find much value in the book beside the nice stories and the motivation boost
Walter Oh
Echoing another reader's words: This is the best $2.99 business book you can buy. Plenty of nuggets and wisdom on starting a business, based on Mark's personal experiences and not some fluff. A quick read and definitely a worthy re-read.
Rafael Alves
A book based on the winning business mentality, Mark Cuban's writing is of easy understanding, although of elementary nature but with little effort you can find more complementary readings.

My opinion is that it's worth your money.
Aakash Aggarwal
Explosive start from Cuban on this one. A bit repetitive and self-aggrandising. Wouldn't give more than 3 stars since this book is too preachy about winning, success and Mark Cuban himself.

The book is too 90s self-improv crap. Moreover, this looks like a disgruntled guy stitching few blog posts together to make some money and roping some sad consumers who want to know more about "winning."
Chris Scarpa
This book is very well and shows the true way to win anything. It is nonfiction biography about Mark Cubans life. It tells how started from the bottom now he's here. It displays the hardships he deals with. He helps us 101
Justin Hunter
great lessons!

Mark Cuban is a smart guy, but he got where he is through effort. Not luck. Not an abundance of smarts. He worked his ass off and everyone else can find success that way too.
Ben Handler
This is a concise book that I constantly go back to and review. If you like business this is a MUST READ. The words are so organic, this book was a compilation of blog posts which is why it is such a unique book. Mark Cuban is totally a self made entrepreneur who treats business as a sport, the book changes your perspective on business in a very positive way.

This is not a self help book - this book simply states the facts from one of the worlds most successful entrepreneurs who is still hustlin
Alfonso Cabrera
It's not a full blown book as Cuban admits, it's just a compilation of his blog posts. That being said the content itself is excellent! A lot of good nuggets.
Tjcaz9
Love this book

I believe this is only an ebook. I keep this book on my Kindle and try to read it a few times a year. I love Mark Cuban's attitude and approach to everything. Fantastic read. I get fired up every time I read it.
  • Shark Tales: How I Turned $1,000 into a Billion Dollar Business
  • Driven: How To Succeed In Business And In Life
  • Mastering the VC Game: A Venture Capital Insider Reveals How to Get from Start-up to IPO on Your Terms
  • Running Lean: Iterate from Plan A to a Plan That Works
  • Smart Trust: How People, Companies, and Countries Are Prospering from High Trust in a Low Trust World
  • FORTUNE The Greatest Business Decisions of All Time: How Apple, Ford, IBM, Zappos, and others made radical choices that changed the course of business.
  • The Startup Game: Inside the Partnership between Venture Capitalists and Entrepreneurs
  • The Entrepreneur's Guide to Customer Development: A Cheat Sheet to the Four Steps to the Epiphany
  • Poor Charlie's Almanack: The Wit and Wisdom of Charles T. Munger
  • The Brand Within: The Power of Branding from Birth to the Boardroom (Display of Power)
  • The Millionaire Fastlane: Crack the Code to Wealth and Live Rich for a Lifetime!
  • Anything You Want
  • Letters from a Self-Made Merchant to His Son
  • Managing Oneself
  • How to Be a Billionaire: Proven Strategies from the Titans of Wealth
  • Growth Hacker Marketing: A Primer on the Future of PR, Marketing, and Advertising
  • Grouped: How Small Groups of Friends Are the Key to Influence on the Social Web
  • Getting Real: The Smarter, Faster, Easier Way to Build a Web Application
2070271
Since the age of 12, Mark has been a natural businessman. Selling garbage bags door to door, the seed was planted early on for what would eventually become long-term success. After graduating from Indiana University - where he briefly owned the most popular bar in town - Mark moved to Dallas. After a dispute with an employer who wanted him to clean instead of closing an important sale, Mark create ...more
More about Mark Cuban...
Let's Go Mavs Smoking Addiction: Desire To Stop Smoking Addiction Just Three Steps (Addiction Recovery, Addictions) Cómo Ganar en el Deporte de los Negocios: Si Yo Puedo Hacerlo, Tú Puedes Hacerlo Alcohol Addiction Recovery: In the Short Term In Order To Make You A Simple And Effective Alcohol Addiction With The Three Solutions (Addiction Recovery, Addictions) Gambling Addiction Recovery: Gambling Addiction Recovery and Cure of Your Life (Addiction Recovery, Addictions)

“What makes a good salesperson? Let me be clear that it’s not the person who can talk someone into anything. It’s not the hustler who is a smooth talker. The best salespeople are the ones who put themselves in their customer’s shoes and provide a solution that makes the customer happy.” 4 likes
“The sport of business is the ultimate competition. It’s 7 × 24 × 365 × forever.” 0 likes