Start by marking “ How to Win at the Sport of Business: If I Can Do It, You Can Do It” as Want to Read:
  How to Win at the Sport of Business: If I Can Do It, You Can Do It

How to Win at the Sport of Business: If I Can Do It, You Can Do It

4.01  ·  Rating Details ·  2,874 Ratings  ·  214 Reviews
Mark Cuban shares his wealth of experience and business savvy in his first published book, How to Win at the Sport of Business, available now only as an e-book. Using the greatest material from his popular Blog Maverick, he has collected and updated his postings on business and life to provide a catalog of insider knowledge on what it takes to become a thriving entrepreneu ...more
Published (first published January 1st 2011)

Mar 21, 2013 Henry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best $2.99 I've ever spent. Mark Cuban breaks it down on how he has achieved being a multi billionaire. This is not a self help book, nor a law of attraction bs. It's a practical guide on how to save as much cash as you can so when you're ready to start a business or plan your next big move, you're not tied to a loan or a bank. This book was not written with pompous hot air, unlike other millionaires who have written books on how they did it; and end up writing more about how great or how mu ...more
Aaron Ash
Mar 26, 2012 Aaron Ash rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This is an e-book and the author warns readers at the beginning that it is basically a collection of blog posts edited together. Heed the warning. If scattered thoughts, occasional tangents, and unintended repetition bother you, don't read this book.

If you are a young person wanting some good advice from a very wealthy individual who made his own way in the world, this is for you.
W. Whalin
Great Content but Needs Book Production Help

I read the first edition of this book from my local library. The contents are well-done and interesting from beginning to end.

Yet this book needs production help. I got it from a library-where most books are only visible from the spine--yet this book has no words on the spine of the book. I suspect it has to do with the small number of pages in the book. The contents and stories in this book could have easily be expanded to make a long enough book to
Jeff Suwak
Jul 02, 2014 Jeff Suwak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really hate the five star rating systems. The experience of reading any given book can't be so easily quantified.

I very rarely give 5 stars to a book. This one would be more like 3 if we were talking about a great book to read from front to front.

But, the way I used this book was to read bits and pieces while waiting for dinner, sitting on the bus, waiting in line...I just kind of nibbled at it, and in that capacity it was brilliant and a 5 star book.

Mark is honest and straight forward. He d
Feb 01, 2015 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are looking for a numerated, step by step guide to the path of billions, move along.

As Mark states upfront, this is a collection of his blog posts. Which you should probably be reading already, truth be told.

Mark is well known for his shoot from the hip, no bullshit, intense personality. He's not going to make hard work, damn hard work, look easy. Unless of course, like him, your blood runs thick with damn hard work.

Whether you are starting college majoring in business or fifty years ol
Sep 15, 2012 Samara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some good parts, some that didn't resonate with me personally. I think he's 1000000% right about how important it is to SELL and have sales experience. And if you don't know what you want to do, or don't know how to get to your dream job, start in sales. I did, and it set me up for where I am today. He also has strong points for not listening to your customers, which I found interesting, and some great one liners I look forward to adding to my roster, like "no balls, no babies".
Amith Guthi
Mar 14, 2016 Amith Guthi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When an entrepreneur tells you something, you sit down , take notes and try to inculcate what he says.

Mark Cuban's 'How to win the Sport of Business' is one such book that you;d want to read again and again. It's an easy read , but by no means 'just another read'.

Three things that stood out for me in this book :
1. Law of least resistance
2. Twelve Cuban Mantra for Success
3. You've got to get it right only once !

Pick this book and do yourself a favour ! :)
Jul 15, 2015 Gary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mark gets 5 stars for 3 reasons: 1-Quick and easy to read; 2-Contains pertinent startup advice; 3-Doesn't bloviate how great he is. Read it or lose.
Camilo Martinez
Dec 20, 2014 Camilo Martinez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of great advice and quotes that I can take with me as I begin to think about my career.
Stephen Heiner
Mark Cuban is a well-known entrepreneur. While he hasn't penned a full length book, he has taken at least some time to crystallize some of his business lessons into short blog posts, then collected them into this tiny book, which I finally picked up to read the other day.

Rather than give a usual book review, I thought I might share points he makes that I strongly agree or disagree with.

"In every job, I would justify it in my mind, whether I loved it or I hated it, that I was getting paid to
Alex Ingram
Jan 30, 2016 Alex Ingram rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How to Win At the Sport of Business

JANUARY 30, 2016
It's only fitting that with the addition to my expansion into the content market that I begin my digital foray of knowledge transference with Mark Cuban's, "If I Can Do It, You Can Do It." For a mere $4.99 on Amazon for your Kindle or $9.99 for the paperback you to can buy this short and fulfilling read, one in which I highly recommend.

Purchase here

I recently suggested to my fiancée to read one of my business books. While we both work in fields
Gil Bradshaw
Jan 06, 2016 Gil Bradshaw rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve had Mark Cuban blow up (or severely derail) two business deals I’ve been involved with so I have to admit I had a bad taste in my mouth about him. I thought of him as someone who didn’t actually have smarts but who was just media-savvy and someone who just focused on building his own brand. I lumped him in with Donald Trump.

This book was fantastic. The book was down-to-earth and pretty humble considering my expectations.

Here are some of the insights he gave that I have found to be particul
RWH Housley
A short book report by Ron Housley

Cuban is not quite as sharp as Andrew Breitbart, but he undertook to share with us (brag?) about being the same type of big drinker and partier in college as Breitbart — as the recommended foundation for entrepreneurial success.

I spent enough time at Indiana University to be a honorary Hoosier. IU gave me my start, you could say; and like a lot of alums, I take pleasure in seeing the successes of Bobby Knight, Janos Starker and
Alexander Fitzgerald
A really enjoyable read, albeit too short. It's really the only reason I couldn't give this book five stars. For how prolific a blogger Mark Cuban is supposed to be, it is odd that a book based on his entries should only run 74 pages long.

That said, many of Cuban's life lessons are prolific. It was certainly worth the $3.00 I spent on it. As someone who runs a small business, I felt like a mentor gave me some sage advice through Mark Cuban's written word. Many times I gleaned a lesson I felt wo
Oct 05, 2015 Dave rated it liked it
(A short e-book, but hey, I'll put on here anything I can as read. My time nowadays is usually spent consulting programming books that I of course never have to finish. This was a quick and fun read on my phone.)

Being a basketball fan and an occasional reader of his blog, I've always enjoyed Mark Cuban and this book made me appreciate him even more. He made his money in the technology era when Microsoft was just getting started. Not primarily a technical guy but a salesman, he took the extra ste
Apr 07, 2013 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great little book, mostly a collection of Mark Cuban's blog posts over the years. Nothing wrong with that though, it's all collected it one place and nicely edited.

There's a lot of wisdom from the man, one of the main guys of Shark Tank and owner of the Dallas Mavericks. It details how he got to be successful and though that you get some great insight on running a business.

One of the tips is that it's ok to start slow. Cuban argues against venture capital because one you take it you
Mar 31, 2013 Ka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Mark Cuban is the entrepreneur owner of the Dallas Mavericks NBA team; a familiar personality in the US, though not quite as well known across the pond here in the UK or Europe. This is probably understandable, given that most of his business interests are based in the US, but I would argue that his kind of intelligent, bold, modernist, relentless and hard-working entrepreneurial spirit (along with that of similar entrepreneurs such as Richard Branson) is exactly what the world needs more of.

Jan 14, 2012 Nathan rated it liked it
Shelves: business
Someone raved about this book, I bought it. It's okay, but not great. It's a collection of blog posts about Cuban's business life, from early days as a kid selling TV repair franchises, tending bars, and selling software. He is a good salesman and aggressive to spot opportunities and grow his business. It was good to see that he's self-admittedly lousy with paperwork and the stuff that he has an assistant to handle; comforting that you don't have to be a do-it-all superman to succeed.

The chapter
Sé de la existencia de Mark Cuban desde hace años. Lo conozco por ser el multimillonario que vino de la nada, y el extrovertido dueño de los Dallas Mavericks. Yo siempre he admirado a los que se vuelven ricos a base de trabajo y esfuerzo. Mark me cae mejor desde que lo veo en Shark Tank, me parece el más aterrizado de los Tiburones.
Hace unos meses descubrí que todos los Tiburones tienen su propio libro, y me propuse leerlos todos. Desde luego, tenía que empezar con el de Mark.
Él lo advierte desd
Apr 24, 2012 Byron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's just a collection of blog posts by Mark Cuban. I know he's been blogging forever, though I've never read his blog (otherwise I wouldn't have bothered), so I'm not sure why it's so short. As long as we're just copying an pasting, why not go hog wild! Maybe the emphasis was on posts that are autobiographical in nature and posts having to do with, ahem, how to win at the sport of business. I liked the parts about when he was a young IT professional on the come up down in Dallas, living on happ ...more
Andrea James
Oct 22, 2015 Andrea James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
This is a collection of blog posts but it strings together quite well. But funnily enough maybe because they were so anecdotal and breezy, it has left less of impression on my mind than I expected.

I finished it a few weeks ago but I hadn't taken the time to add this entry (or the many other books) onto Goodreads. And I'm struggling to remember the top things I took away from the book! And recently I've read or listened to a number of books/articles of ambitious, hard-working white guys who have
Callie Rose Tyler
Feb 05, 2015 Callie Rose Tyler rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-give-up
Wow, I am truly shocked at this book's high rating. It is spectacularly awful. I knew absolutely nothing about Cuban before reading, I had never even heard his name. Now I can say that I find him to be a complete and utter douche.

My company bought this book for everyone to read leading up to our yearly kickoff. Almost no one finished it. It became the butt of the joke for the entire event, at least my co-workers bonded over mutual dislike, so that's something...

Mark Cuban, it seems you are succe
José Antonio Lopez
Jan 25, 2014 José Antonio Lopez rated it really liked it
Mark Cuban offers a tour to his mind. It is one of the best book I have read to understand the thinking of the entrepreneur. Many times we are offered books with oversold stories about successful entrepreneurs and companies. Mark gives an honest uncompromised view of his journey and thinking, what he values and how he sets priorities.

As he points it out: "The point of all this is that it doesn't matter how many times you fail. It doesn't matter how many times you almost get it right. No one is g
Komi Amegblenke
Oct 27, 2015 Komi Amegblenke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mark Cuban is the man! I like the fact that he doesn't hold anything back and tells you how it is. He gives you tips on how to make yourself successful by not focusing on money during your startup because of the potential influence a venture capitalist (VC) may have when you don't start making money right away, which isn't always the best sign of success. Sweat equity is more important. I'm not trying to be an entrepreneur anytime soon because I don't like the amount of work dedicated to this pr ...more
Jan 19, 2016 Jenn rated it really liked it
"Hi. I'm Mark Cuban and I am comfortable giving you Confucius-type tips to make you the BEST YOU CAN BE! Just try really hard and keep trying and you WILL WIN! Love, billionaire Mark Cuban."

But in all seriousness, though overly simplistic and cheesy at times, there are some good bits of wisdom in here. I think his brief lists are inspirational for what they are. I would like more in-depth examples of the stories that led up to those bold lines in his book for context, but obviously this is an 80
Jorge Figueroa
Jul 04, 2014 Jorge Figueroa rated it really liked it
De la existencia de Mark Cuban me enteré porque es dueño de los Mavericks de Dallas, un odiado rival de mis amados Lakers.

Me entero que tiene mucho tiempo escribiendo en un blog donde no pretende conocer la receta mágica, y tampoco la esconde, eso es lo que me gusto de este "libro" estoy seguro que hay Kindle singles más largos, cuenta que tuvo mucha suerte, siempre se esforzó y aprendió de sus fracasos.

Lo estuve citando mucho en amazon/twitter y facebook, y creo que vale la pena rescatar alguna
Apr 02, 2013 Azharuddin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First and foremost, It is not a self-help book on what you should be doing with your life and other spiritual s**t. It's a book about life-experiences of Mark Cuban starting up and falling again & again. His learning and rules that he follows in life and in business.
A short book on how to kick-ass in life and have fun doing it. I'm a huge fan of Mark Cuban and like his approach to Business. Mark is unorthodox in his views, some are even extreme.

This book taught me the importance of Sales a
Christine Lynch
This book was simple, short and sweet, but I read it at a time where I needed some inspiration and encouraging words. Here are the few lessons I took away:

1. Use EVERY opportunity that comes your way to learn. Use this knowledge to get/stay ahead of your competition.

2. It is never too late to find your passion/start your career/have a big idea. In business, it doesn't matter how many times you "fail". You only need to "get it right" once to start your path to success.

3. People will ALWAYS choos
Sashanka Bitra
Mar 12, 2016 Sashanka Bitra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved how Mark Cuban crunched his complete business success into such a small book. Mark has been such humble to share his struggling days and how he made his things work there after. He has been true to himself and sharing it so blatantly in his book. He is not fearful of letting know of his failures, things he is not strong at doing. Mark has been very open to share his fears, his inhibitions and shows how one can learn to be fearless and expand their strengths to make big in their life.
Lillian W
Oct 30, 2014 Lillian W rated it it was amazing
Stop, Look, and Listen to the Expert

Mark Cuban is in a class of his own and when he shares his life and experiences, those who are tired of working hard as entrepreneurs day in and day out with little success should listen to him. I strongly recommend this book because there is so much to be learned from Mr. Cuban. He is a powerful teacher and is very wise. Just extract one financial concept and try to implement it. If that one is motivating you to reach a financial goal, continue using it. Then
  • Shark Tales: How I Turned $1,000 into a Billion Dollar Business
  • Succeeding When You're Supposed to Fail: The 6 Enduring Principles of High Achievement
  • Built from Scratch: How a Couple of Regular Guys Grew The Home Depot from Nothing to $30 Billion
  • Ein Tag im Jahr
  • The Art Of Letting Go: Living The Wisdom Of St. Francis
  • We Can Work It Out: Resolving Conflicts Peacefully and Powerfully
  • Call Me Ted
  • Soros on Soros: Staying Ahead of the Curve
  • Driven: How To Succeed In Business And In Life
  • The Power of Self-Confidence: Become Unstoppable, Irresistible, and Unafraid in Every Area of Your Life
  • The Brand Within: The Power of Branding from Birth to the Boardroom
  • Love in Action: Writings on Nonviolent Social Change
  • The Thinking Life: How to Thrive in the Age of Distraction
  • Smile
  • Mastering the VC Game: A Venture Capital Insider Reveals How to Get from Start-up to IPO on Your Terms
  • How Did You End Up Here?: The Surprising Ways Our Questions Connect Us
  • Bloomberg by Bloomberg
  • Compelling People: The Hidden Qualities That Make Us Influential
Since the age of 12, Mark has been a natural businessman. Selling garbage bags door to door, the seed was planted early on for what would eventually become long-term success. After graduating from Indiana University - where he briefly owned the most popular bar in town - Mark moved to Dallas. After a dispute with an employer who wanted him to clean instead of closing an important sale, Mark create ...more
More about Mark Cuban...

“What makes a good salesperson? Let me be clear that it’s not the person who can talk someone into anything. It’s not the hustler who is a smooth talker. The best salespeople are the ones who put themselves in their customer’s shoes and provide a solution that makes the customer happy.” 7 likes
“I had taken a few classes in real-world business and got paid for it instead of paying tuition,” 2 likes