Start by marking “ How to Win at the Sport of Business: If I Can Do It, You Can Do It” as Want to Read:
  How to Win at the Sport of Business: If I Can Do It, You Can Do It

How to Win at the Sport of Business: If I Can Do It, You Can Do It

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  1,910 ratings  ·  144 reviews
Mark Cuban shares his wealth of experience and business savvy in his first published book, How to Win at the Sport of Business, available now only as an e-book. Using the greatest material from his popular Blog Maverick, he has collected and updated his postings on business and life to provide a catalog of insider knowledge on what it takes to become a thriving entrepreneu ...more
Published (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about How to Win at the Sport of Business, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Win at the Sport of Business

The best $2.99 I've ever spent. Mark Cuban breaks it down on how he has achieved being a multi billionaire. This is not a self help book, nor a law of attraction bs. It's a practical guide on how to save as much cash as you can so when you're ready to start a business or plan your next big move, you're not tied to a loan or a bank. This book was not written with pompous hot air, unlike other millionaires who have written books on how they did it; and end up writing more about how great or how mu ...more
W. Whalin
Great Content but Needs Book Production Help

I read the first edition of this book from my local library. The contents are well-done and interesting from beginning to end.

Yet this book needs production help. I got it from a library-where most books are only visible from the spine--yet this book has no words on the spine of the book. I suspect it has to do with the small number of pages in the book. The contents and stories in this book could have easily be expanded to make a long enough book to
Aaron Ash
This is an e-book and the author warns readers at the beginning that it is basically a collection of blog posts edited together. Heed the warning. If scattered thoughts, occasional tangents, and unintended repetition bother you, don't read this book.

If you are a young person wanting some good advice from a very wealthy individual who made his own way in the world, this is for you.
Jeff Suwak
I really hate the five star rating systems. The experience of reading any given book can't be so easily quantified.

I very rarely give 5 stars to a book. This one would be more like 3 if we were talking about a great book to read from front to front.

But, the way I used this book was to read bits and pieces while waiting for dinner, sitting on the bus, waiting in line...I just kind of nibbled at it, and in that capacity it was brilliant and a 5 star book.

Mark is honest and straight forward. He d
Mark gets 5 stars for 3 reasons: 1-Quick and easy to read; 2-Contains pertinent startup advice; 3-Doesn't bloviate how great he is. Read it or lose.
If you are looking for a numerated, step by step guide to the path of billions, move along.

As Mark states upfront, this is a collection of his blog posts. Which you should probably be reading already, truth be told.

Mark is well known for his shoot from the hip, no bullshit, intense personality. He's not going to make hard work, damn hard work, look easy. Unless of course, like him, your blood runs thick with damn hard work.

Whether you are starting college majoring in business or fifty years ol
RWH Housley
A short book report by Ron Housley

Cuban is not quite as sharp as Andrew Breitbart, but he undertook to share with us (brag?) about being the same type of big drinker and partier in college as Breitbart — as the recommended foundation for entrepreneurial success.

I spent enough time at Indiana University to be a honorary Hoosier. IU gave me my start, you could say; and like a lot of alums, I take pleasure in seeing the successes of Bobby Knight, Janos Starker and
Alexander Fitzgerald
A really enjoyable read, albeit too short. It's really the only reason I couldn't give this book five stars. For how prolific a blogger Mark Cuban is supposed to be, it is odd that a book based on his entries should only run 74 pages long.

That said, many of Cuban's life lessons are prolific. It was certainly worth the $3.00 I spent on it. As someone who runs a small business, I felt like a mentor gave me some sage advice through Mark Cuban's written word. Many times I gleaned a lesson I felt wo
Camilo Martinez
Lots of great advice and quotes that I can take with me as I begin to think about my career.
Some good parts, some that didn't resonate with me personally. I think he's 1000000% right about how important it is to SELL and have sales experience. And if you don't know what you want to do, or don't know how to get to your dream job, start in sales. I did, and it set me up for where I am today. He also has strong points for not listening to your customers, which I found interesting, and some great one liners I look forward to adding to my roster, like "no balls, no babies".
Andrea James
This is a collection of blog posts but it strings together quite well. But funnily enough maybe because they were so anecdotal and breezy, it has left less of impression on my mind than I expected.

I finished it a few weeks ago but I hadn't taken the time to add this entry (or the many other books) onto Goodreads. And I'm struggling to remember the top things I took away from the book! And recently I've read or listened to a number of books/articles of ambitious, hard-working white guys who have
Callie Rose Tyler
Wow, I am truly shocked at this book's high rating. It is spectacularly awful. I knew absolutely nothing about Cuban before reading, I had never even heard his name. Now I can say that I find him to be a complete and utter douche.

My company bought this book for everyone to read leading up to our yearly kickoff. Almost no one finished it. It became the butt of the joke for the entire event, at least my co-workers bonded over mutual dislike, so that's something...

Mark Cuban, it seems you are succe
Komi Amegblenke
Mark Cuban is the man! I like the fact that he doesn't hold anything back and tells you how it is. He gives you tips on how to make yourself successful by not focusing on money during your startup because of the potential influence a venture capitalist (VC) may have when you don't start making money right away, which isn't always the best sign of success. Sweat equity is more important. I'm not trying to be an entrepreneur anytime soon because I don't like the amount of work dedicated to this pr ...more
Jorge Figueroa
De la existencia de Mark Cuban me enteré porque es dueño de los Mavericks de Dallas, un odiado rival de mis amados Lakers.

Me entero que tiene mucho tiempo escribiendo en un blog donde no pretende conocer la receta mágica, y tampoco la esconde, eso es lo que me gusto de este "libro" estoy seguro que hay Kindle singles más largos, cuenta que tuvo mucha suerte, siempre se esforzó y aprendió de sus fracasos.

Lo estuve citando mucho en amazon/twitter y facebook, y creo que vale la pena rescatar alguna
José Antonio Lopez
Mark Cuban offers a tour to his mind. It is one of the best book I have read to understand the thinking of the entrepreneur. Many times we are offered books with oversold stories about successful entrepreneurs and companies. Mark gives an honest uncompromised view of his journey and thinking, what he values and how he sets priorities.

As he points it out: "The point of all this is that it doesn't matter how many times you fail. It doesn't matter how many times you almost get it right. No one is g
Christine Lynch
This book was simple, short and sweet, but I read it at a time where I needed some inspiration and encouraging words. Here are the few lessons I took away:

1. Use EVERY opportunity that comes your way to learn. Use this knowledge to get/stay ahead of your competition.

2. It is never too late to find your passion/start your career/have a big idea. In business, it doesn't matter how many times you "fail". You only need to "get it right" once to start your path to success.

3. People will ALWAYS choos
Olivia Elkins
Great Read

How to Win at the Sport of Business: If I Can Do It, You Can Do It is a great read. Mark Cuban's enthusiasm and passion for the world of business is incredibly inspiring. I thoroughly enjoyed the blog layout of this book. In addition, Cuban's personal stories were written with wit that allows for anyone to connect, whether a CEO of a huge company or a college undergrad. I would recommend this to all people seeking business advice or even to those seeking a little inspiration. Excellent
(A short e-book, but hey, I'll put on here anything I can as read. My time nowadays is usually spent consulting programming books that I of course never have to finish. This was a quick and fun read on my phone.)

Being a basketball fan and an occasional reader of his blog, I've always enjoyed Mark Cuban and this book made me appreciate him even more. He made his money in the technology era when Microsoft was just getting started. Not primarily a technical guy but a salesman, he took the extra ste
This is a great little book, mostly a collection of Mark Cuban's blog posts over the years. Nothing wrong with that though, it's all collected it one place and nicely edited.

There's a lot of wisdom from the man, one of the main guys of Shark Tank and owner of the Dallas Mavericks. It details how he got to be successful and though that you get some great insight on running a business.

One of the tips is that it's ok to start slow. Cuban argues against venture capital because one you take it you
Mark Cuban is the entrepreneur owner of the Dallas Mavericks NBA team; a familiar personality in the US, though not quite as well known across the pond here in the UK or Europe. This is probably understandable, given that most of his business interests are based in the US, but I would argue that his kind of intelligent, bold, modernist, relentless and hard-working entrepreneurial spirit (along with that of similar entrepreneurs such as Richard Branson) is exactly what the world needs more of.

Someone raved about this book, I bought it. It's okay, but not great. It's a collection of blog posts about Cuban's business life, from early days as a kid selling TV repair franchises, tending bars, and selling software. He is a good salesman and aggressive to spot opportunities and grow his business. It was good to see that he's self-admittedly lousy with paperwork and the stuff that he has an assistant to handle; comforting that you don't have to be a do-it-all superman to succeed.

The chapter
Ahmad Abugosh
This book is harmless enough I guess. It gives a look into how Mark Cuban thinks, so I guess it's ok. Just don't expect any life altering business advise, or anything you haven't heard a million times, but I guess it's good to be reminded, and like he says, "If he can do it, anyone can do it!"

(Also, I found it funny how we has trouble remembering so many small details. Couldn't he have rung up those people and asked or at least done a little research if he forgot?)
Alex Devero
Anyone can turn their dreams into real success, but it takes a lot of hard work. Stay dedicated, even if it means sleeping on a friend’s floor. Shoot for something realistic before breaking into your dream field, but never stop trying to get better and remember to pace yourself. Don’t forget that customers are the most important part of any business and, when the time is right, feel free to whine. If Mark Cuban did it, so can you!
Frederick Ford
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in getting a job they love. I like Mark Cuban; I like his philosophy of life. I am happy for his success. I found the book well written and reflected his personality.

I want both my grandsons to read this book; I am convinced that it will help them.

I read the book in two days; I would have read it in one day, but I had prior commitments.
It's just a collection of blog posts by Mark Cuban. I know he's been blogging forever, though I've never read his blog (otherwise I wouldn't have bothered), so I'm not sure why it's so short. As long as we're just copying an pasting, why not go hog wild! Maybe the emphasis was on posts that are autobiographical in nature and posts having to do with, ahem, how to win at the sport of business. I liked the parts about when he was a young IT professional on the come up down in Dallas, living on happ ...more
Luis Moreira
It's simple, short, OK book.
You can almost read it in 3 hours and you get to know what's on the mind of this entrepreneur from his early stages.
I like his stories as a software salesman and some ideas and life lessons.
It's a good book to motivate and add some joy on our everyday work, but in no way this book is worth 10. It's just too expensive. That's why I give 3 stars, other wise I would rate it 4 stars.
Jeremy Eackles
Mark Cuban, billionaire entrepreneur and owner of my beloved Dallas Mavericks, clearly knows how to win at the sports of business. In this book, he explains concepts on how to achieved success, do and don't of business, and how he leaned from his multiple failures. As an aspiring entrepreneur, it's a great read to learn from and take to your business life. Probably the best $2.99 I ever spent!
Osamah Islam
of the many reviews i have made, this is the 1st 5 stars review i have provided
every thing right about writing a book is in this book:
1- realistic
2- practical advises
3- Short
5- entertaining
6- and above all... Life changing
Mr Cuban proves to me everyday that am right to be one of his biggest fans!
Go mavs.

Yemaya Hall
Helpful guide for success

This book was a very easy read that offers some key points for personal and professional success through Mark Cuban's own life experience. The book is very relatable to people of all ages who are in the path of professional success whether with a company or their own business.
James Christensen
Best $3 bucks you can spend if you get it via Kindle. I'm not a Mark Cuban fan, and I'm not a basketball fan. It doesn't matter though. I respect his business acumen. This is basically a collection of very casual blog posts. It's 100 pages maybe, but it is chock full of motivational stories. Seriously - pick it up.
  • Shark Tales: How I Turned $1,000 into a Billion Dollar Business
  • Call Me Ted
  • Built from Scratch: How a Couple of Regular Guys Grew The Home Depot from Nothing to $30 Billion
  • Mastering the VC Game: A Venture Capital Insider Reveals How to Get from Start-up to IPO on Your Terms
  • The Millionaire Fastlane: Crack the Code to Wealth and Live Rich for a Lifetime!
  • Driven: How To Succeed In Business And In Life
  • The Brand Within: The Power of Branding from Birth to the Boardroom (Display of Power)
  • The First Billion Is the Hardest: How Believing It's Still Early in the Game Can Lead to Life's Greatest Comebacks
  • Smart Trust: How People, Companies, and Countries Are Prospering from High Trust in a Low Trust World
  • Bloomberg by Bloomberg
  • Soros on Soros: Staying Ahead of the Curve
  • The Education of Millionaires: It's Not What You Think and It's Not Too Late
  • Getting to Plan B: Breaking Through to a Better Business Model
  • Built to Sell: Creating a Business That Can Thrive Without You
  • The Entrepreneur's Guide to Customer Development: A Cheat Sheet to the Four Steps to the Epiphany
  • Poor Charlie's Almanack: The Wit and Wisdom of Charles T. Munger
  • Running Lean: Iterate from Plan A to a Plan That Works
  • Poor Charlie's Almanack: The Wit and Wisdom of Charles T. Munger, Expanded Third Edition
Since the age of 12, Mark has been a natural businessman. Selling garbage bags door to door, the seed was planted early on for what would eventually become long-term success. After graduating from Indiana University - where he briefly owned the most popular bar in town - Mark moved to Dallas. After a dispute with an employer who wanted him to clean instead of closing an important sale, Mark create ...more
More about Mark Cuban...

“What makes a good salesperson? Let me be clear that it’s not the person who can talk someone into anything. It’s not the hustler who is a smooth talker. The best salespeople are the ones who put themselves in their customer’s shoes and provide a solution that makes the customer happy.” 5 likes
“The sport of business is the ultimate competition. It’s 7 × 24 × 365 × forever.” 0 likes