Transcendent: Tales of the Paranormal

Transcendent: Tales of the Paranormal

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  29 reviews
A collection of short stories involving the paranormal.
Published December 24th 2011 by Robot Playground Inc (first published December 1st 2011)

In His Eyes Anthology by S.R. JohannesTales from the Hollow Tree Volume One by Isabelle SantiagoTranscendent by Lani WoodlandFrom Fame to Shame by Veronica BladeRunner by Logan Rutherford
Short Story 2012 Challenge
3rd out of 67 books — 51 voters
The Coincidence of Callie & Kayden by Jessica SorensenThe Secret of Ella and Micha by Jessica SorensenHidden Wings by Cameo RenaeRecalled by Cambria HebertIn My Dreams by Cameo Renae
Book Covers from Mae I Design
100th out of 150 books — 153 voters

More lists with this book...

Ali Cross
Sometimes, it's just nice to take a break. For me, that's exactly what TRANSCENDENT gave me. The shorter stories lacked nothing in POP, but were fast and easy to zip through making it all about relaxation and enjoyment. As a writer who does a lot of reading for work, it was nice to read something that felt like a gift to me, not like a "have to".

The writing was good, the stories clever and engaging. Some of the stories I wished were books so I could read more of them, but that's a good thing--no...more
Jessica
This short story collection of paranormal, mythical, supernatural YA was sent to me for review by one of the authors. Thanks Rita.

Look at this pretty cover. You've got to love it, so sweet and the inside just as sweet. My favorite story was Feather though I enjoyed all of them.

These stories are like little bites of guilty pleasure. Short, sweet and just plain fun. I like that you had variety to the stories not varying versions of the same thing. Greek myth, vampires, the headless horseman, ghost...more
C.k. Bryant
What a wonderful treat! I'm not a huge short story fan and can't write one to save my life, so I was a little leery to read this book in the beginning. However, I'm so glad I did. From beginning to end, I was totally captivated by these stories, each unique and reflective of the authors own style and imagination. My favorite has to be Wendy Swores about the homecoming dance. Had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. LOVED. IT.

The other stories also kept my interest and were very enjoyable. I...more
Erica Cameron
Fabulous collection! Highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys young adult paranormal stories.
blackplume
Review Originally Posted in Blackplume

Transcendent is a collection of short stories written by different talented authors. This anthology consists of eight paranormal stories perfectly combine to give readers a variety of reading experience. It presents different paranormal creatures like sirens, shape-shifters, vampires, ghosts, and a lot more. There is fantasy, thriller, romance and adventure in this one beautiful book. Summarizing the book or each stories would be tricky so to give you detail...more
Donna Weaver
From the back cover:
Discover the secrets of a siren, fly with a hawk girl over the mountains of Montana, and flee supernatural party-crashers as the décor comes to life in this magical journey through paranormal stories.

Along the way, watch for ghosts in a haunted house, or ride through the moonlight with a stranger. Save a comatose boy who has lost his soul, and don’t forget to bring your garlic and wolfsbane—you never know when the shadows will snag you.

Transcendent includes eight stories of m...more
Liz at Fictional Candy
First let me say that I find it very difficult to review anthologies. First, you might love one story and hate the next. So they get a middle grade because of averages? Luckily I didn’t run into that problem with this book, because they were all pretty darn good!

In Transcendent you get 8 stories. My favorites were the ones that were a bit longer and able to give a bit more detail. And those were Spectre by Wendy Swore, Pumpkin Thief by Evan Joseph, and Kiss of Death by Lani Woodland and Melonie...more
Jamie Manning
Transcendent is a great collection of fun, spooky short stories that does a great job of keeping your interest. I've often found that with short story collections, there's always at least one that I'll start and then skip to the next one, but each of these was interesting enough to make me keep reading (nice job, authors!)

Of course, I have a few favorites. The story of the shipwrecked ex-friends who happen upon a siren was a fun read, as was the story of the Homecoming party that comes to life a...more
Heather McCubbin
Nov 28, 2011 Heather McCubbin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
I've only read one story in here...mine! "Shadows of Promise" is about a high school senior, Dawn, who makes good on a promise to accompany her best friend to a haunted house. And spend the night. Surrounded by friends and classmates, Dawn thinks she may be having a breakdown. Voices are whispering so only she can hear and when she feels someone touching her she immediately regrets the promise she made. Guided by her friend, her lab partner and sheer courage, she finds answers in a Ouija board....more
Elizabeth Mueller

Each story was made alive by the wonderful talent of every author. I couldn't put my Kindle down as I read the stories aloud to my children, ages ranging from 9 to 15, and now they insist on rereading their favorite picks of short stories on their own.

The characters came to life, the storylines shared in rich detail that swept me into each world!The only sad thing about this book is that I wish that they were longer than short stories. If you want a cozy thrill with a flashlight-under-the-cove...more
Heidi
This was such a fun read. I wanted some of the stories to be longer. It would be great to read around Halloween time. The stories were spooky, bizarre and even romantic at times. I would recommend it. (My husband would object to the bad rap the motorcyclist got in one of the stories, though.)
JenniferC
What a charming collection of short stories! In one cover, you can experience all sorts of otherworldliness: sirens, shape shifters, ghosts, vampires, and out-of-body experiences just to name a few.
Britney
TRANSCENDENT is a fabulous collection of short stories that all share a paranormal element, while each story is original and creative on its own. I enjoy reading anthologies and short stories because they tend to give my brain a workout. For instance, in TRANSCENDENT I read about indian heritage and a hawk girl followed by a homecoming party where the decorations want a snack. There is so much excellent variety and the collection explores all types of supernatural. Each and every story captivate...more
Courtney
Transcendent was my first experience with an Anthology and I wasn't quite sure I would enjoy a bunch of short stories put together in one book. But I actually enjoyed the collection quite a bit. This is a collection of paranormal stories and each one stands alone which made it great to just read a quick little story when I had a free minute and then get back to the next in my next spare time!

When I read the first story I was instantly swept in to it and was disappointed when it came to end. I t...more
Beverly
My thoughts:
This is a fantastic collection of short paranormal stories. Each one stands alone as a great quick read. I usually find myself choosing a favorite story or author when I read a collection such as this, but with this book I found that I enjoyed each story as much as the one before it. I thought that each story was my favorite until I read the next one. Each story is one of dreams and desires, longing and loss, hope and expectation. This is a great introduction into YA paranormal.
The...more
Rita Webb
Nov 25, 2011 Rita Webb added it  ·  (Review from the author)
This is a great collection of short stories by many great writers, including Lani Woodland, Melanie Marks, Wendy Swore, and...well, me!

One of my stories is co-authored with Wendy Swore. It was a lot of fun writing with her. She has a great style that meshes well with my own. So be sure to read about the boy struck by lightning in the story Strike .

The other story I have in this collection is called Feather . Here's one of my favorite passages from my story:

A rustle of wings and a hawk feather dr...more
Heather (BookStacksOnDeck)
This was a nice little collection of paranormal/spooky short stories! My favorite stories were Seduction of a Siren, Feather, Spectre, and Pumpkin Thief.

Seduction of a siren is a mermaid tale about two guys that get stranded on an island after an "ugly" mermaid rescues them. I loved the ending for this one!

Feather is a young Native American girl who goes on her spirit journey with her reservation's medicine man. She discovers something about her that's been passed down to her in the family's g...more
Jessica Knauss
Every one of the stories in this new anthology by up-and-coming YA paranormal authors is original and memorable. If you like Twilight, you'll love these short adventures! Perhaps the most sensitively written is "Pumpkin Thief" by Evan Joseph, in which we get to see the Headless Horseman's romantic side. I have two personal favorites: "Seduction of a Siren" by Lani Woodland and Melonie Piper, for the way it turns a neglected part of Greek folklore on its head in funny and romantic ways, and "Feat...more
Ashley Lavering
This is my first time reading an anthology. I know sounds pathetic, but I really love long stories. But I enjoyed this collection. It was fun to read something small every now and then. My favorite has to be the heartwarming story Kiss of Death. It was so touching and sweet. Several of the other short stores left me wanting them longer. I enjoyed the one about the hawk, and was chuckling over the story about the headless huntsman. Also, the siren story was cool as it addressed the difference bet...more
Dana Burgess
Of all the collections of short stories I've read lately, this one takes the prize as the most fun. Written for the YA crowd, it is totally appropriate for anyone over the age of 12. Testament to the skill and talent of all of the authors, each of the stories is a feast for the imagination; well written and engaging. There are plenty of romantic moments and eerie happenings throughout the book. I was especially impressed with the completeness of each of the stories. I read the entire book in one...more
Adelina
Feb 16, 2012 Adelina rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
This was a fun, light book to read in my spare time. The paranormal is not a genre I read often (I spook easily), but I found these short stories to be fun to read. There were a few I wished would continue on. I just didn't get my fill of Feather, Pumpkin Thief, or Strike. If you're looking for some quick reads, and enjoy some paranormal I would suggest Transcendent! I plan on checking out more of what these authors have written.
Veray Carter
This was a great book of short stories that made me wish they were longer stories. Some were on the spooky side and all of them were well written and interesting to read. It was strange though to have the stories progress so quickly and then end, having read so many series, but it was also enjoying not to have to worry about what would happen next because it was over and I could be relieved.
Gwendolyn
Jan 08, 2012 Gwendolyn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
Great spooky fun! A thrill ride through the world of the paranormal is what this anthology of stories by seven very talented writers is.

Makani
Jan 01, 2012 Makani rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Jordan
Recommended to Makani by: Rita
Great, Magical, paranormal, romantic, scary
Melanie Marks
Dec 21, 2011 Melanie Marks rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
I have a small, little story in here :)
Morrigan
Transcendent is an anthology of paranormal short stories. I was very entertained by these stories during my time at the gym (this was my gym book). I found myself extending my bike cardio workout so I could finish a story.

The authors included in this anthology tell stories of the dead, ghosts, mermaids, vampires, etc... The stories were well crafted and provided great material for a short story. Some stories fell flat, whilst others made reading the book worth it. Overall, this is an interestin...more
Curse of the Bibliophile
Take an exciting trip into the world of the paranormal, where anything is possible.
“Transcendent” was very well written and it caught and held me captivated from beginning to end. I enjoyed reading these different stories and hearing about some interesting journeys these characters went on. These authors definitely have a talent for bring these characters to life.
I highly recommend this story to anyone looking to spend a day reading some interesting paranormal stories. It’s a great way to spen...more
Diana
Normally with anthologies I'll separate the stories and individually rate and review each one, but I'm not going to do that this time. That would be like singling one out as a favorite, it's just not possible.

These eight stories are sweet, mysterious, and a couple are even a little scary; the perfect combination for any paranormal fan.

FULL REVIEW
Erica Blakes
May 23, 2012 Erica Blakes marked it as to-read
sounds like a good book XD
Amy Maher
Amy Maher marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Unlocking Books: January: Transcendent, paranormal anthology 16 28 Jul 19, 2012 10:08AM
  • Darwin's Children (Darwin's Children, #1)
  • Tears
  • Rock 'n' Roll is Undead (Veronica Mason, #1)
  • The Gifts
  • The Whisper Jar
  • The Earth Painter (Painter, #1)
  • Lover's Betrayal (Misfits of the Lore, #1)
  • Between Worlds: Nekkel Ace
  • Damaged: Natalie's Story
  • Emily's House (Akasha Chronicles, #1)
  • Familiar
  • The Search for Artemis (The Chronicles of Landon Wicker, #1)
  • Destruction from Twins (Lor Mandela, #1)
  • Cursed (Touched, #1)
  • Eternal Spring
  • Happy Birthday to Me Again (Birthday Trilogy, #2)
  • Dragon Aster (Dragon Aster Trilogy, #1)
  • Whisper
I became an avid reader in elementary school, when I first discovered the Babysitters Club and Sweet Valley Twins series. In sixth grade, I began writing plays and recruiting (with force when necessary) my friends to act them out. Most of these early works were inspired by She-Ra, the epitome of girl power to my young self.

I have a hard time enjoying any book without at least a little romance in i...more
More about Lani Woodland...
Intrinsical (The Yara Silva Trilogy, #1) Indelible (The Yara Silva Trilogy, #2) Pieces of Jade (Pirates of Orea #1) Inevitable (The Yara Silva Trilogy, #3) That's The Spirit (The Pom Pom Periodicals, #1)

“A rustle of wings and a hawk feather drifts down to me. Snatching it from the air, I look up into the trees, but nothing’s there. So I tuck the feather into my hair.

“What are you doing?”

My stomach leaps into my throat, and I jump up, stumbling backward, and fall on my butt in the middle of the path. In the tree above me, a teenage boy perches on a branch. He’s dressed in traditional deerskin breeches, a talon necklace around his neck, but rather than moccasins, his feet are bare. He is shirtless, and lean muscles cord his body.

His intense eyes capture my attention. They’re like golden fathomless pools. I could get lost in them.

“Don’t your feet get hurt, walking barefoot on the forest floor?” I ask.

“I rarely walk.” He drops down in front of me. His face is so close that I take a step back and thump into a tree. He leans toward me and sniffs. “You smell different. What are you?”

“I’m a girl.” I can’t take my gaze from his.

“No, humans stink. You smell…” He sniffs my hair and grins. “You smell good.”

“Is there a reason that you’re invading my space? I have somewhere to be.” My voice cracks.

He tugs one of my braids and winks at me. My pulse quickens, and my breath catches in my throat. His eyes study me with intensity, and he leans closer. Is he going to kiss me?”
2 likes