Start by marking “More Than Words Can Say” as Want to Read:
More Than Words Can Say

More Than Words Can Say

3.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  563 Ratings  ·  117 Reviews

From the author of "If Wishes Were Horses" comes a novel of long-buried secrets and self-discovery, showing us that sometimes what goes unsaid is more powerful than words. . .

Chelsea Enright never expected to inherit her grand-mother's lakeside cottage deep in the Adirondacks--a serene getaway that had been mysteriously closed up decades ago. This is no simple bequest,

Paperback, Large Print, 496 pages
Published December 27th 2011 by HarperLuxe (first published December 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about More Than Words Can Say, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More Than Words Can Say

Erin
Dec 15, 2011 Erin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say I was super disappointed with this book. I always open a book with an open mind, and I'm always searching for something fantastic. This book was not. I know it has some editing to be done still, but overall, I was not crazy about the storyline or the writing style.

The story was set up like it was going to involve some mysterious, dark secret. The plot ends up being rather mundane...maybe this would have worked as an 'immoral' story several decades ago. Compared to the types of beha
Emily
Dec 20, 2011 Emily rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I received an advance copy of this book and I really wanted to like it, but I was very disappointed in the writing style. There were overused phrases throughout the novel (specifically "precious" when referring to wartime rations of sugar, coffee and champagne), and Chelsea’s interior monologue included phrases that NO ONE would think to themselves (i.e. “as I look down upon Brandon, I realize that I was wrong and that all the others in my life were mere dalliances.” REALLY!?). I found myself ro ...more
Jessica
Jan 05, 2012 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Ughh finally, I'm done reading this book! I was looking forward to starting this one after I won an ARC from librarything, but by the end I was just tired of the story. The author had a good idea, but the execution was very poor and had me skimming the last 30 pages because it was so drawn out.

The main reason I didn't like this book, though, was because of the unrealistic dialogue. Some of the things Chelsea or Brandon say are SO ridiculous and there is NO WAY anyone would ever say that when th
Margo Brooks
Dec 28, 2012 Margo Brooks rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A very disappointing read. I was excited to read a story about the Adirondacks and the story was fine. The writing, however, although technically fine, served to distance the reader from the characters, even as the author was trying to bring you closer to their thoughts and feelings. I could understand this if it were self published, but since it was published by HarperCollins and promoted by them as a book club selection, I put a lot of blame on the editor.

If you don't understand what "show don
Sara Strand
Jul 14, 2012 Sara Strand rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will tell you right away I liked this book. I really love a book that will suck you into it within the first ten pages. The hook in this book is that right from the beginning- you are intrigued by the letter Chelsea's grandmother leaves her and you just have to know what is going to happen. I don't want to give anything away so I'm going to be annoyingly vague about it.

Some great things about this book are that it's about a woman's self discovery in a not cheesy way, there aren't sweeping rom
Simone
Jul 01, 2013 Simone rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Barfety Barf Barf!

Holy Moly that was one bad book.

I was expecting something along the lines of a WW2 intrigue based on quotes like this in the description: “when Chelsea finds her grandmother's WWII diaries, she's stunned to discover that they hold secrets she never suspected . . . and they have the power to turn her own life upside down”.

I never suspected it was a romance! I thought she’d discover her granny was a spy or worked in a secret government department during the war and lead rescues
Kathryn
Jul 02, 2016 Kathryn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kathryn by: Mamey
This was a new author for me when it was recommended. This was a light summer read, easily predictable but fun just the same. I must say some of the dialog was a bit cheesy. Does anyone really call their spouse darling? But that's just me. I had fun reading the book and that's all that matters for me.
Steph Ruswick
Aug 19, 2014 Steph Ruswick rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Jan 04, 2012 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Chelsea Enright inherits her late grandmother Brooke's cottage in the Adirondacks and with it a secret diary and some photographs. The diary holds the clue as to why her grandmother closed the cottage 60 years ago and never returned to live there. When Chelsea goes up to the cottage, she meets her neighbour Dr. Brandon Yale and decides to spend the rest of the summer there as she discovers her grandmother's story.

The premise of this book is good: long-buried family secrets, a summer cottage, rom
Kathleen (Kat) Smith

Once in a blue moon you come across an exceptional book that leaves you in awe of just how great the story is and how emotionally connected to it you are. I have found such a treasure in the latest book from Robert Barclay, More Than Words Can Say, and to say if you haven't read it, you'll want to pick this one up and completely set aside some time to get lost in the characters and the story.

The premise of the story takes place at a lakeside cottage tucked away in the Adirondack mountains where
Coleen
Apr 17, 2012 Coleen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2/11/12 - I always feel bad when I have to give a bad review, but here goes....

This book description sounded good: A young woman (Chelsea) inherits her grandmother's lake cottage -- a cottage that has been boarded up for over 50 years -- as well as all its secrets. So off goes Chelsea to rediscover the cottage in an attempt to learn more about her grandmother. The plot was okay. However, it was pretty predictable & not overly original.

The thing that bothered me the most was the writing style
Julie
Jan 19, 2012 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book reminded me of Nicholas Spark's writing style. It was a sweet lovely, easy to read story and I enjoyed it very much. I read it in a couple days. A few of the lines stood out to me, " Rather than parting two old friends, the death of one has a way of joining them forever." Emily answered. ( So did she know?) That's a mystery.

" Love is something that each of us strives for, dreams of, clings to, and rejoices in. But who among us can claim to be it's master?" ( So true)

" Reticence between
Samantha Glasser
Jul 17, 2012 Samantha Glasser rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
When Brooke Enright dies, her grand-daughter Chelsea inherits her summer home in the Adirondacks. Brooke left her messages informing her there was a diary hidden beneath the floorboards in the old house which could explain the reason why she never returned to visit the cottage after her husband was killed in WWII. As Chelsea discovers her grandmother's secret, she also finds herself falling for her doctor neighbor in the home next door.

The story sounds interesting enough, but the quality of the
Tami
Feb 15, 2012 Tami rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was very excited to read this book, I love books that combine the past and present into a wonderful story line. Unfortunately, the book was a disappointment. The characters were not engaging in the least and very unbelievable. The conversations the characters would have are even more strange, the dialogue felt forced and often times like it was written for a bad sitcom based in the 1950's. I also did not enjoy the endless description, the description of everyone's outfit in each scene, the fur ...more
Eva
Aug 14, 2014 Eva rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had such high hopes for this novel, but it failed to deliver on many levels. The plot was predictable, the pace rather plodding, and the characters static and relatively uninteresting. I really wanted to like this book. Wanted it to be among the better of the Nicholas Sparks novels. Mr. Barclay tried to create sympathetic characters, but they were relatively mundane and boring.

Chelsea inherits her grandmother's cottage following grandmother's death. The terms are that she must go to the cottag
Lori
Where to begin... I'm giving this book two stars simply because I think that if it had been written by a different author, it would've been great. The plot is decent and could've been intriguing in the hands of someone else.

Every character in this book was, at best, a two-dimensional stereotype. Relationships- many of which were key to the storyline- were left unexplored. (Mother-daughter, grandmother-granddaughter. We're told how they are without example or explanation.)

And the worst (and whic
Mary
Apr 15, 2014 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tonia Sandersfeld
Aug 17, 2015 Tonia Sandersfeld rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since I just finished Lost Lake, I wanted another book about a tranquil summer at the lake, and this was the perfect read. It also reminded me a lot of Fireworks Over Tocoa, another fun summer book. In this book, Chelsea has lost her beloved grandmother, so she is called to her lawyer's office to find out that she has inherited the mysterious cottage at Lake Evergreen. Her grandmother left the lake very suddenly one year and never returned. However, she didn't want to sell the property, so she e ...more
Rrshively
This is a book where I literally went into a used book store, started down the shelves from authors beginning with A, and chose this book by the title & back cover review alone. "More than words can say" is a familiar phrase, and I was curious what this book would hold for me. Mr. Barclay has chiefly written two romances: one modern day with Chelsea, and one in the past about her grandmother, Brooke. Brooke had secrets about the past and didn't want to talk about her earlier life. When she d ...more
Jane
Aug 03, 2014 Jane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Since I live nearby, the setting in Syracuse, NY and the Adironacks was very appealing. It is also written in my favorite style of 2 interwoven stories one in the present and one in the past. It included diary entries, recipes and 2 love stories. So why was it just ok? The actual writing was poorly done. Details were not acurate, the characters were very 1 dimensional, everything in the plot could be predicted before it happened, and the author described the same scenarios multiple times, someti ...more
Suzy
Jun 16, 2015 Suzy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
"Just then she called him to dinner breaking his personal reverie. And so he rose from his chair in a rather awkward of his and then joined her at the table".

"Of all the journal entries I have made, I suspect that his one will be the hardest".

In chapter 35 both dogs are on the alter at the wedding- in chapter 41, Chelsea's mother asks her who the setter is. Didn't Lucy see the dogs in the church? Hello??

Why wasn't this book proof read?

Also, did not like the way the dogs were depicted/treated.
Danielle
Jan 11, 2013 Danielle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love the WWII angle, but it was just too hallmark movie for me
Rachel
Jan 24, 2013 Rachel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The writing in this book was horrible. Who would publish this guy?
Stefanie
Jan 05, 2013 Stefanie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Poorly written with an incredibly predictable plot. Bummer.
Jenny
Jul 18, 2016 Jenny rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Picked this up from the library for a fun cottage read and stubbornly refused to throw it into the fire, despite really wanting to. The story is incredibly predictable and mundane. If I never read the word "ardor" again it will be too soon! Internal monologues were unnecessary and borderline offensive to feminism- no modern woman could ever relate to any of the characters. The only saving grace to this book is the cutely named and included recipes from "the war time era". Would definitely not re ...more
Maureen Raistrick
yuck...why did I bother...
Kristi (Books and Needlepoint)
While this book had a somewhat predictable outcome, I enjoyed it nonetheless. After inheriting the cottage, Chelsea receives instructions through her Gram's lawyer, that she must visit the cottage and retrieve and read something that her Gram hid under some floorboards there before she decides to sell it. She honors these wishes because of her close relationship with her Gram, even though she considers herself a city girl. She is not sure what she will do with herself at a lake cottage.

Soon aft
Alexis Villery
After inheriting her grandmother's cottage, Chelsea decides to visit the cottage to honor her Gram's last wishes. Thirty-three year old Chelsea is still looking for love never finding the right man's man. Brandon has a secret guilt that he can't seem to let go. Grandmother Brooke has lived with a deep secret and questions all her life and her family has always questioned why she never returned to her beloved cottage. There she finds family secrets and a handsome doctor, Brandon, who has his own ...more
Shana
Mar 04, 2012 Shana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The other reviewers have covered the plot numerous times so I won't go into that too much. All I will say is that I throughly enjoyed this book while setting in front of a warm fireplace this winter. Even though the plot of this story is set in mostly the spring and summer the way the author describes the beauty of the Adirondack mountain cabin just makes me want to get cozy and warm! This would probably be a good beach read in the summer too.

I picked this book because, I live about an hour or s
Kelly Hager
When Chelsea's grandmother Brooke dies, she leaves her a cottage and a letter. In it, Brooke requests that Chelsea go visit the cottage before she decides whether or not to sell it. She also tells her that there's a box hidden under the floorboards in the bedroom. Brooke wants Chelsea to read the contents, spend time at the cottage and then decide what to do...and to tell no one about these requests. When Chelsea gets there, she's immediately drawn to Ben, her new neighbor and the community's do ...more
Romance! 2 5 Jul 25, 2013 04:14AM
  • Restoration
  • Too Close for Comfort
  • The Wedding Writer
  • The Siren of Paris
  • Paper Angels
  • House of Mercy
  • Christmas in Sugarcreek (Seasons of Sugarcreek)
  • The B.T.C. Old-Fashioned Grocery Cookbook: Recipes and Stories from a Southern Revival
  • Far from Here
  • You Don't Love This Man
  • Once in a Blue Moon
  • Into the Killing Seas
  • Hotel No Tell: A Novel
  • Winner Lose All
  • Until the Next Time
  • Under the Skin (An Elizabeth Goodweather Appalachian Mystery #6)
  • Heart Echoes (Side Roads #3)
  • Line by Line