Start by marking “Marvel Masterworks: Daredevil, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Marvel Masterworks: Daredevil, Vol. 1

Marvel Masterworks: Daredevil, Vol. 1 (Daredevil, Volume I)

A Good Samaritan act stole young Matt Murdock's sight, but also enhanced his
remaining senses to superhuman level! After becoming a lawyer - and
suffering the murder of his father - Matt now uses his powers to protect the
innocent in New York City's Hell's Kitchen as Daredevil, the Man Without
Fear! Relive Daredevil's origin and first adventure, meet his memorable
supporting ca
Published December 10th 2003 by Marvel (first published March 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Marvel Masterworks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marvel Masterworks

Evan Leach
This book collects the first 11 issues of Daredevil, originally published from 1964 to 1965. Matt Murdock is a blind trial lawyer who moonlights as a costumed crime-fighter. While I am not a member of the New York bar, I am a practicing attorney and I can tell you that (1) Matt Murdock is committing a number of crimes while swinging around the city busting heads, and (2) he risks disbarment due to his cavalier, vigilante lifestyle which undoubtedly violates a number of local ethical rules govern ...more
Dan Schwent
1 - A mysterious new super hero in red and yellow is gunning for the Fixer! But what is the connection between this criminal and the boy who was blinded saving a blind man years earlier?

This is the origin of Daredevil and the tale of his vengeance on the man who had his father killed. It reminded me a lot of Batman confronting the murderer of his parents. Stan Lee's writing wasn't bad in this and Bill Everett's art was pretty darn good for the times. Oddly enough, I didn't hate Daredevil's orig
Antonella

"When it comes to affairs of the heart, I really am a blind man!"

Me gustó bastante, algunos más que otros, pero en general están muy bien. En más de una ocasión me hicieron reír y fueron entretenidos.

Issue #1: 5/5
Issue #8: 3/5
Issue #9: 3/5
Issue #10: 3.5/5
Issue #11: 4/5

I came in like a wrecking ball!♪

"He's a nutty as a fruitcake! But, so was a little housepainter named Hitler and look at the damage he
Anna
Mar 04, 2015 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
So one of my goals for my book reading challenge this year was read more comics. So when I saw that my library had this I decided to give it a try. These were a very interesting collection of comics. I liked daredevil and his adventures but some of these were kind of dry and not what i expected. I cannot wait to read more of the daredevil comics.
Brandon Forsyth
Ouch. After reading some modern Daredevil, I decided I wanted to see if the origins of the character had the same promise baked-in, and I have my answer. These books, while charming in an old-timey action sense, have few (if any) of the things I found so compelling in the later work. One of the most interesting things about the character is having him be a lawyer - the obvious duality of dressing up as a vigilante is barely even commented on. Female characters like Karen Page are painful to read ...more
Elisabeth
May 23, 2015 Elisabeth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Indelibly of its era, Daredevil's first outing is full of hyperbole and exclamation points, corny dialogue, characters thin as paper they're printed on and less colorful. I suppose it was engaging enough for eight-year-olds of the time. By #11 the stories start to get better, but the other problems remain.

Still, interesting from a historical point of view. As an adult MCU fan with no grounding in comics, I'm always intrigued by source material. This Daredevil bears little resemblance to the Netf
Andrew Buckle
Mar 31, 2013 Andrew Buckle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Collects Daredevil 1-11 and includes some really weird and wonderful tales from Stan Lee, as well as some really excellent art from Bill Everett (the original artist, creator also of Sub-Mariner), Wally Wood (of EC fame), Joe Orlando and others. The stories are daft and low powered compared with the epics of the Avengers / Fantastic Four. Instead of the Super Skrull and Galactus, Daredevil battles the Matador, Mr Fear, Stilt Man, The Owl and also Sub Mariner (which is one of the early Marvel cla ...more
Sam Poole
Just nowhere near as good as early Spiderman or fantastic four. The concept is great, the art good and the stories okay but the attempt at making Matt Murdock just a grown Peter Parker are NOT interesting. Very clearly lacking that Kirby magic. Also it takes so long to replace that gross yellow costume! This took me a while to get through. I'm gonna keep reading Daredevil until I like it, but the highlights here were the fantastic four hiring Matt to renew their lease and Namor being rude. Where ...more
James  W. Powell
Jun 02, 2014 James W. Powell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Most of these early adventures of Daredevil by Stan Lee and Wally Wood are a lot of fun, even if they are a little silly at times. Some of the repeated story details grew old pretty quickly , such as the need for Daredevil to explain how he's performing such magnificent feats for a blind man, or Matt Murdock thinking about his love for Karen and his need to keep it a secret. But when seen through the eyes of a kid who probably rushed down to the store every month, these old stories are classic.
Ryan
May 10, 2015 Ryan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Compared to other Marvel comics that came out at this time, the art on Daredevil was top notch. Even though they seemed to change art teams every couple of issues, all really did a good job. As for the story, Matt Murdock really wasn't much more than another Spider-Man. Same stupid quips and similar villains. To me the only stand out story in the entire volume is the one that Wally Wood wrote. It had some some cool mystery elements and did not follow Stan Lee' same tired formula. Besides that on ...more
DH Hanni
Jul 05, 2015 DH Hanni rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's really not fair to try and do a review on a comic book from the '60s because there is just so much logically inconsistencies and clearly this was geared toward kids. Enjoy watching the TV show so I'm going back to the source material to become more familiar with the characters. Can't wait to get to the later runs when the writing was meant to actually treat the characters and the audience like they head a brain.
Scott
Jul 07, 2014 Scott rated it really liked it
I wasn't expecting to like this more than Doctor Strange, but I did, in part because of the excellent art. The art really got Lee's writing up to his level on Spider-Man and the X-Men that left me disappointed on Dr. Strange, Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, and so forth. The last story, a two-parter in which Foggy Nelson gets recruited to run for district attorney on the Reform ticket, couldn't havr come into my hands at a better time in my life.
Sep 25, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic_novels
Sixties comics often feel a bit silly and over the top to me, as the medium has just evolved so far in the meantime. And while there is certainly an overabundance of silliness (overwrought thought bubbles, ridiculous cutaway diagrams of layouts and gadgets, and some of the lamest costumed villains out there ::cough cough THE EEL cough cough::), I was surprised at how much of the essential heart of the modern Daredevil was already present at the very beginning.
Rose Moore
It's always nice to read the early comic books (or re-read them) to get a sense of history and where characters come from. That said, it can also be a bit jarring because of the difference in artwork, writing, and references sensitive to the time period. It's also not quite as enjoyable for me because each comic is such a separate story - I prefer the events and multi-issue arcs that are more common in newer series.

May 19, 2015 Sarah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-manga
It took me forever to actually finish this collection of comics. I didn't find it funny or interesting at all. It was extremely drawn out and not that good of a story line. I got the book to read the original Daredevil comics and it was lost on me. I'm sure this is great for someone but it wasn't for me.
Andy
Oct 22, 2008 Andy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: funny book comics fans
Pretty enjoyable compilation of the first eleven issues of Daredevil when he was clad in yellow and didn't demand to be taken seriously. It's all good campy fun, especially with Wally Wood and Joe Orlando's cartoony images and silly villains like Electro, The Owl, The Stiltman and The Masked Matador, heh. The sillier the comic the more I love it!
Robert Morganbesser
So so

I've never been a big Daredevil fan. I consider him a second rate Spider-Man. In these, his earliest adventures, his first costume is horrible and the best part is the art work by Wally Wood. He fights some of the lamest villains. Just so so.
Sandra LaVigne
Sep 05, 2015 Sandra LaVigne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic Frederick at its best

The only reason. I had to go with 4 stars instead of 5 was the blatant misogyny in the writing. It was enough to make me cringe and then laugh. It was the times I know. Overall I love the art and the classic, if sometimes cheesy, stories.
Edward Davies
Including one of the most drastic costume changes in comic book history, this first volume of DD adventures features issues 1 to 11, and although there are no truly memorable villains to speak of, this is a sound set of comics that you can be sure will be entertaining.
Tara Calaby
Not the biggest fan of the early Daredevil comics, but it's still good to see where it started.
Murray
Dec 19, 2015 Murray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun, if expectedly dated, look at the beginnings of Daredevil. My first real foray into the character, and definitely got me interested.
Katie Hall
Sep 29, 2016 Katie Hall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Starting my guy Daredevil from the very beginning. Karen's 1960's hairstyle makes me giggle.
Timothy Boyd
Jan 15, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent reprint book of the silver age Daredevil stories. Great way for a reader to experience these very expensive and hard to get early issues. Very recommended.
Jeff
May 24, 2015 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good ol' fashioned comics.
Heidi Ness
Heidi Ness rated it it was ok
May 30, 2015
John  Ervin
John Ervin rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2009
JJ
JJ rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2017
Sheila
Sheila rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2011
Max Mclaughlin
Max Mclaughlin rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2017
Phillip Richardson
Phillip Richardson rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Marvel Masterworks: The Uncanny X-Men, Vol. 2
  • Daredevil, Vol. 6: Lowlife
  • Daredevil Visionaries: Frank Miller, Vol. 3
  • Marvel Masterworks: The X-Men, Vol. 3
  • Daredevil, Volume 16: Hell to Pay, Volume 1
  • Daredevil Legends, Vol. 4: Typhoid Mary
Stan Lee (born Stanley Martin Lieber) is an American writer, editor, creator of comic book superheroes, and the former president and chairman of Marvel Comics.

With several artist co-creators, most notably Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko, he co-created Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Daredevil, the Silver Surfer, Dr. Strange, and many other characters, introducing complex,
More about Stan Lee...

Daredevil, Volume I (1 - 10 of 52 books)
  • Here Comes... Daredevil
  • Stan Lee Presents The Marvel Comics Illustrated Version Of Daredevil, The Man Without Fear!
  • One-On-One Adventure Gamebooks: Daredevil vs Kingpin: The King Takes a Dare