My Life: The Musical

My Life: The Musical

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  29 reviews
To best friends and devoted theater fans Emily and Philip, Aurora is no ordinary Broadway musical. Their love for the hit show (whose reclusive author has never been named) is nothing short of an obsession. Thanks to a secret loan from Emily’s grandma Rose, seeing the Saturday matinee has become a weekly ritual that makes real life seem dull and drab by comparison.
But whe...more
Published March 11th 2008 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about My Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Life

Just Listen by Sarah DessenIf I Stay by Gayle FormanThis Lullaby by Sarah DessenWhere She Went by Gayle FormanNick & Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn
YA Music Books
110th out of 287 books — 539 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsLock and Key by Sarah DessenGraceling by Kristin CashoreCity of Ashes by Cassandra ClarePaper Towns by John Green
YA Novels of 2008
187th out of 199 books — 118 voters

More lists with this book...

Sesana
Emily and Phillip have been to see their favorite musical, Aurora (fictional), over a hundred times, borrowing money from Emily's Grandma Rose every weekend so they can stand in line to get the rush tickets. And then they find out that their show is closing.

For the most part, I get these kids. The entire Aurora fanbase seems to be based on the RENTheads, and reminds me guiltily of my own Scarlet Pimpernel days. (Don't judge me.) If I lived in the NYC area, I would totally be on that rush line at...more
Brett
I knew some kids in high school who would have read this book & immediately killed to live it. They were mostly in drama club, & I imagine most high school drama kids would feel the same way. I have to admit that the vast majority of the story was a little lost on me, as I don't feel particularly strongly about musical theater, & that seems like a prerequisite. Still, there's some meat in there even for someone who isn't interested in that: the two protagonists of the story, Emily &...more
Lauren
When I brought this book home from the library a few weeks ago, it was my initial flip-through book. I was willing to cheat on whatever I was reading at the time to read Maryrose Wood's acknowledgments, the first chapter, and the clever cast list at the end. And to wry-smile at the showtune references that appear at the beginning of each chapter.

Now that I've actually read the whole book, though, I think I could have stopped at just my initial flip-through and not missed very much. The main plot...more
Taunalee Clark
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Lauren Ashley for TeensReadToo.com

Emily and Phillip's relationship began because of one play: Aurora. Emily was at the theatre enjoying tickets she had received for her Bat Mitzvah, while Phillip was there alone to escape the family he felt he could no longer turn to.

From then on, the two became inseparable, the best of friends. The thing that continued to tie them together and give them joy in their lives was still the play that brought them together. However, rumors are starting to...more
Morgan Myers

I was attracted to this book since I enjoy musicals, but I didn't enjoy it as much as expected. Emily and Philip have been traveling into the city for the past few years just to see their favorite musical, Aurora. When the show is about to be canceled, Emily is desperate to save it, and will go to any lenghts to do so. However, the book fell short of my expectations.

I thought that the theater aspect of the plot was different, and clever. It did seem like Wood tried to include a romance just to a

Abby Johnson
Emily and Phil are completely, utterly, head-over-heels obsessed with the musical Aurora. Ever since the first time they saw it (at the same preview performance; it was destiny for them to become best friends), they fell in love with the music and characters and quirky costumes. Funded by Emily's grandmother, they sneak into the city every Saturday to get rush tickets for the matinée. But vicious rumors are circling that Aurora might be closing for good... What will Emily and Phil do without the...more
Liz
A pretty quick and enjoyable read. It made me realize that I don't know much about musicals and that I am truly a wanna-be when it comes to drama and the arts. I liked that the author named each chapter after a song in a musical, and gave the musical, year and listed the person(s) who wrote the musical, lyrics, and book. Some were triple threats (wrote all three), but most were not. I also liked that the somewhere in the chapter, the song (or mention of it) popped up but it didn't seem forced. T...more
CLM
Oct 07, 2008 CLM rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: KathyB
Shelves: ya, theatre
I found this story about two Long Island teens obsessed with a Broadway musical to be original, clever and charming. The one caveat, which the author is aware of, is that it's extremely unlikely any such attractive, smart, high school boy would be so knowledgeable and enthusiastic about musicals unless he were gay (not that there's anything wrong with that, of course, and as I think back to high school I realize all those theater guys came out of the closet the minute they got away from their pa...more
laaaaames
Oh man, I wanted to like this book so much. I fully agree with Meg's review that it's not necessarily fair to judge this book against what I wanted from it, but I also feel like what it sets up doesn't come to fruition. So maybe I can?

There are uncomfortable details here that spark uncomfortable memories. There's the flooding back of a meal at the Edison crammed in between a matinee and an evening performance. There's the crappy-ass rush seats! There are those jerks who love your show too BUT FO...more
Lizzie
A very enjoyable read for theatre geeks like me!
Raegan
Anna Francesca
Aug 22, 2008 Anna Francesca rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Drama Geeks
Shelves: young-adult
If you are a musical theater buff, this book is for you. Otherwise, the characters, other than Emily and Philip, are too over-the-top and melodramatic to be endearing. They tend to read more as humorous, but two-dimensional and unchanging. However, the two main characters' idealism and struggle for self-awareness are relatable. Overall, the obscure Broadway references make this a fun read, but it does best suit a very particular audience.
Jenn
Oct 17, 2010 Jenn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: novels
I picked this book up just by chance while looking for another book. For anyone who likes musicals, this is a fun, quick and easy read exploring two kids becoming of age story. Music has the power to heal and to make us feel emotions and I really liked how this book portrays this power and its influence.

Loved all the references to different musicals. The author reminded me that "Any Dream will Do." :)
Autumn
I wanted to love this book. And I did love the Broadway trivia and reading about characters who were even more Broadway-obsessed than I am. However, I felt like even after reading it I didn't know much about the characters themselves. There were snippets, but it felt like all they were was their love of this one show. I wanted to feel more for them than I did. Still a fun read.
Laurie
Oct 16, 2008 Laurie added it
Recommends it for: Wendy
Recommended to Laurie by: Constance
Shelves: wmslibrary
Adorable story of two teens from Rockville Centre obsessed with a Broadway musical. I enjoyed Emily's arguments with her English teacher, who wants her to branch out and write essays about anything other than Aurora, the musical.

The cover is unfortunate. I think some kids will enjoy it, and it hits right about 7th-9th grade, but the cover looks babyish.
Peggy
I really liked this book! It is a little too old for the competition group I was reading it as a potential book for, but liked it well enough to finish reading it well past the point I ruled it out for that. Anyone who likes theater particularly musical theater and/or the show "Glee" will find this a delightful romp.
Cathy Hall
I'm a BIG fan of musicals. Huge, really. And a fan of Maryrose Wood. So I was ridiculously excited to read this book. For the most past, it didn't disappoint. I liked the voice, and the story-I was even okay with the two kids sneaking into NY to see the same musical every week. Funny and poignant.
Blesie
I say this book,, is perfect for me!! I too am obsessed about theatre :) It makes me feel like living in another world just by reading it.. especially in real life, watching theatre plays makes me so happy. I love the book when it comes to all different kinds of musicals..
Caitlín (Ink Mage)
Oct 30, 2008 Caitlín (Ink Mage) marked it as unfinished
Shelves: music
Put it down, at least for now. The characters just weren't interesting enough, the plot didn't seem to be going anywhere, and their obsessions with musicals (especially Aurora) was a bit bizarre. (I did get farther than 20 pages, I just didn't update my status.)
Kea
What I enjoyed about this book is that it really represents really well up the feeling of being comepletely and madly obsessed with something, which you don't really see a lot. And as someone who obsessed about everything, it was refreshing.
Tweller83
Fun book about a young girl and her friend that get caught up watching teh matinee of a musical every week, getting her in debt and in trouble once the show starts to close. The young man questions his sexual orientation.
Jenna
I loved this book because it showed you an accurate description of the broadway world. It was a little odd that these characters were sooo obsessed with one show, but I get it. I have the same obsession with things.
Julie
Lots of references to musicals. Not as good as Drama-rama by E. Lockhart, but a sweet story with a agape/platonic romance. Might be good for hard-core Gleeks suffering withdrawl.
Lila Jane
i absolutely love this book. but Philip should have gone out with Emily. Also Philip's older brother is an idiot. i love this book it reminds me of 13.
Meredith
Couldn't get into this one. Not a humorous book like her others, either. If you're obsessed with musicals, you might enjoy it.
Dawn
A fun friendship story that really appealed to my inner theatre nerd.
Rachel
Aug 11, 2008 Rachel marked it as to-read
Released March 11, 2008
Robin
It was ok.
Adeline
Adeline marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Maryrose grew up in the wild suburbs of Long Island, moved to New York City at age 17 to study acting at New York University, then dropped out to be in the chorus of a Broadway musical — which flopped.

Lean and action-packed years of acting, directing, and making drunk people laugh at comedy clubs followed. Becoming a writer seemed the only way out of this Dickensian existence.

Maryrose started out...more
More about Maryrose Wood...
The Mysterious Howling (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place #1) The Hidden Gallery (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place #2) The Poison Diaries (Poison Diaries, #1) The Unseen Guest (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place, #3) The Interrupted Tale (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place, #4)