Start by marking “I Know a Librarian Who Chewed on a Word” as Want to Read:
I Know a Librarian Who Chewed on a Word

I Know a Librarian Who Chewed on a Word

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  74 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
It's been said that librarians take their love of books to the extreme. In this story, Miss Devine, a bun-wearing bibliophile, has a passion for literacy that reaches new heights. She has actually chewed on a word, claims one small witness to this outrageous event. And as the children gossip in a suspenseful build up, dying to know which word set off this smorgasbord, we d ...more
Published February 22nd 2012 by Pelican Publishing Company (first published February 15th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about I Know a Librarian Who Chewed on a Word, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Know a Librarian Who Chewed on a Word

Library Lion by Michelle KnudsenThe Library by Sarah StewartThe Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians by Carla  MorrisThe Library Dragon by Carmen Agra DeedyLibrary Mouse by Daniel Kirk
Picture Books about the Library!
112th out of 114 books — 142 voters
84, Charing Cross Road by Helene HanffFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakMr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin SloanThe Library by Sarah Stewart
Books about Books and Libraries
306th out of 451 books — 162 voters

More lists with this book...

Laurie
May 28, 2015 Laurie rated it really liked it
Jane
Feb 25, 2014 Jane rated it really liked it
Ha ha, very amusing, especially for a librarian. This book follows the pattern of I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly. The artwork is bright and colorful. The expressions on the faces of the children as the librarian eats increasingly ridiculous items are well done. A diverse set of children is represented as well. The "word" that she chews is indeed well chosen, although it's a shame that the librarian wears glasses and her hair in a bun. In any event, I think this would be a fun book to rea ...more
Rhonda Aldrich
Apr 14, 2012 Rhonda Aldrich rated it it was amazing
A friend read it aloud and that gave the story more personality (she does voices, well). I laughed so hard I cried. You don't have to be over 50 with old-people-hearing or old-people-memory to enjoy the humor centered around a forgetful Librarian. We LOVED and ADORED the story. Our grandkids got as much fun from the book as they did from the animated reading.

Dianne Casas
May 08, 2012 Dianne Casas rated it it was amazing
An adaptation of the popular “I Know a Lady Who Swallowed a Fly,” Miss Devine is a librarian who began chewing on a word. The children want to know, “What’s the word?” Ms. Devine is on a rampage through the library swallowing chairs, tables, a bookcart, and even a whole bookshelf.

"I know a librarian who ate a book-cart, munching and crunching every last part! She swallowed the cart to hold the book. She swallowed the book to embrace the word. She practically purred when she ate that fine word.
Shavonne Bright
Aug 31, 2014 Shavonne Bright rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Repetition is always good for kids because they get excited to recite words and sentences over and over. The illustrations were realistic and colorful and the best part was the end.
Robert J
Feb 25, 2015 Robert J rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 04-preschoolers
Absolutely adorable. For the pictures alone it is worth giving this book a look. The looks on the children's faces are priceless. For that alone I gave it a 5.
Monique
Feb 28, 2012 Monique rated it liked it
I thought I would like this book better. My daughters and I are very familiar with "’There was an old lady who swallowed a fly, but I don’t know why she swallowed a fly…” We really enjoy the rhymes. But we weren’t so excited about this book. It’s a cute book, but I just didn’t love it. And neither did my daughters. My 6-year old was turning the pages faster than I could read them, but it wasn’t because she was excited about the book; she was trying to get it over with and move on to the next one ...more
Liz Todd
Similar to other I Know An Old Lady... Books.
Brindi
one of my favorite librarian books :)
Lorna
Mar 14, 2013 Lorna rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
I'm kind of conflicted about what kind of review to give this book. In many ways it was very good - a new twist on the "old lady who swallowed a fly" tale. Fun illustrations, great vocabulary. But....the bun and high-necked blouse...in 2013? Really?? Librarians don't look like this anymore. They can be hip, pierced, young, MALE. I would wager no child in the targeted range for this book would even understand this old, tired stereotype.
Tam
Jul 23, 2014 Tam rated it it was ok
This has a cute ending but my boys (ages 7 and 11) were bored with the rest of the book. The librarian swallows a word followed by a book, a book cart, the story-time chair, a table, and a shelf.

Excerpt from the book:
I know a librarian who chewed on a word.
She practically purred when she ate that fine word.
How absurd!

Hey! Did you see that? Miss Devine ate a word!
What word?
Sharron
Feb 19, 2014 Sharron rated it it was amazing
This was such fun, a great take-off on the 'I knew' poems and songs that children love. I like the twists and turns, but especially the absurd things this librarian 'encountered'. Fun for kids of any age.
Peacegal
Jan 11, 2013 Peacegal rated it liked it
I know a librarian who swallowed some Lysol.
She swallowed the Lysol to clean the bum
She swallowed the bum to catch the creep
She swallowed the creep to catch the thief...
Mandy
Oct 09, 2013 Mandy rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Miss Devine shocked the boys and girls at her library by eating a word. But she didn't stop there, soon she was devouring other things found in the library!
ABC
Dec 25, 2013 ABC rated it really liked it
Cute book with a good message. Based on "I Know an Old Lady who Swallowed a Fly.@
Tricia Barber
Feb 12, 2013 Tricia Barber rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-reviews
Loved, loved, loved this book. The last page was my favorite. This is probably in my top 10 favorite picture books.
Nora
Nov 15, 2013 Nora rated it liked it
A delightful remake of the old lady who swallowed a fly.

*I'm partial, because she's a librarian.
Tye
Oct 10, 2012 Tye rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
The illustrations were great.

The concept was good. The text was okay.

Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
For everyone who loves books and libraries, esp. the Hoover Public Library!
Jamie
Nov 27, 2012 Jamie rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
My 6 year old son says this book is funny but weird funny.
Mary
May 01, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime-books
Fun! Would work with older kids, maybe for scout visits?
Such a super cute library book! heehee
Anna Zbacnik
Sep 05, 2012 Anna Zbacnik rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Fun library read aloud.
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Julia Frederick
Julia Frederick rated it liked it
May 19, 2016
Sarah Wiwchar
Sarah Wiwchar marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Casey
Casey added it
Mar 23, 2016
Nicole
Nicole rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Rory
Rory rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2015