Start by marking “Poems: Maya Angelou” as Want to Read:
Poems: Maya Angelou

Poems: Maya Angelou

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  2,651 ratings  ·  79 reviews
Tenderly, joyously, sometimes in sadness,sometimes in pain, Maya Angelou writes from the heart andcelebrates life as only she has discovered it. Inthis moving volume of poetry, we hear themulti-faceted voice of one of the most powerful andvibrant writers of our time.

From the Paperback edition.
Published May 12th 1997 by Bantam (first published February 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poems

Brittany
There were a few poems and stanzas that really stood out to me, but in general I'm not a poetry person. I picked this up because it has "Still I Rise" in it and I absolutely fell in love with that poem my senior year of college. Some others that really stood out to me:

"Take Time Out," especially:
who thought that blindness
was an illness that
affected eyes alone.
Jeffrey
If you want wonder, beauty, insight, stimulation, inspiration, rhythm and rhyme, language that shines . . . then this one's for you. If you've never read Angelou, please do. If you've never seen a poet, a guru, a Goddess speak, please do. If you've never been inspired, enlivened by the spirit of humankind, that which goes beyond the bounds of the mundane, lifeless, work-a-day world, please do. Get this book, and as Red in Shawshank Redemption states, "You got to either get to living or get to dy ...more
Nilay
The first poem I read of Maya Angelou was in Global Literature in 10th grade, when we read "Phenomenal Woman." The powerful literary devices used, especially repetition, made it one of my favorite poems. I was happy when I saw the same poem in this collection of Angelou's poems. The book contains poems on a variety of topics, but I believe Angelou is a feminist writer, and therefore writes poems empowering women. She also includes unforgettable poems that rhyme, deal with past family issues, and ...more
Su Abeille
Transcendent. Nothing I say could live up to the genius of this wordsmith. The world is better because of her and worse with her now gone.
Ari
When reading poems by Maya Angelou it fills me with so much inspiration. Not only do I learn for her poems, but I also try and figure out a way to put what i learn to use in the real world. Her poem "On The Pulse of Morning" was terrific! It was given at the inaguration of President Clinton. It took me by surprise and gave me a different perspective on life and how everyone should be treated fairly and that once you take a different perspective in hand you'll live a better life. The overall book ...more
Eilidh Dunsmore
Feb 25, 2015 Eilidh Dunsmore rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: The emotionally mature
Recommended to Eilidh by: My book club
In Maya Angelou's book (originally titled 'Poems,' just kidding, she tells it like it is, it's her style, and the title matches the rest of her work) is a beautiful, truthful, compilation of poetry created by a master. I ended up reading this book because it was what we elected to choose in my book club. It was then explained to me that when it came to poetry books, it was not required that I read all of them in the traditional right to left fashion. In fact, it was common to skip about accordin ...more
Kristen Lindsay
Maya Angelou is a phenomenal writer and poet. I am a huge fan of Maya Angelou and find great inspirations in her poetry. While reading the book entitled "poems". I came across the most beautiful heart felt poem. The poem is a love poem entitled "In and Out" by Maya Angelou. The poem enables the reader to feel emotions with the strong voice it gives while reading. The poem shares the story of a love so strong, even through trials and ups and downs the love endures it all. The love endures hardshi ...more
Ali Alawi
Mar 17, 2012 Ali Alawi rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ali by: Oprah Winfrey
Shelves: favorites
From Africa to boobies...From death to diamonds at the meeting of thighs...From love to rape.
Maya Angelou surely lives her life.
Although some of the poems are overly slang, the majority would keep on breaking your heart into a million pieces, and thereafter, find fellow poems, to fix and amend.
In my second reading, I've decided to mark the poems I loved by flipping the edge of the papers. Now my collection of poems look like an intricate piece of origami.

Nikki Hobbs
I have had this book (along with a few others of hers)for a long time, I got it when I was in 6th or 7th grade. It is worn and torn in place because it has seen alot of love! Although I have read it time and time again, it still has the same effect on me...it gives me chills and makes me cry everytime! Maya is truly amazing with her words!

Cherise
Beautiful collection of Maya Angelou's work I love this book! I read it whenever I need encouragement
Alan
Angelou is a first-rate autobiographer, and a mediocre poet, though a fine aloudreader and stage presence in an era when even Obama's first inaugural poet had no idea how to aloudread her own poem. Angelou fulfills the limited popular American (Romantic) idea of a poet--one who talks, ad infinitum, about oneself and one's problems (or in Angelou's case, problems over which she triumphs*). We are still stuck in the Romantic period, two centuries after Wordsworth and Coleridge (then Keats and She ...more
John Doe
Baudelaire has a poem where two men are walking together, and they see a beggar. The first man keeps walking, but the second man drops a counterfeit coin into the beggar's cup. The first man thinks, 'At least I was honest in my cruelty.' The second man says, 'People like to get something unexpected every once in a while.' In short, the idiot made the poor beggar into an unwitting criminal because the beggar is going to spend the counterfeit money. And the goddamn 'philanthropist' felt good about ...more
Raymond
"This rocky road is not paved for us,/So, I'll believe in Liberal's aid for us/When I see a white man load a Black man's gun."

I first read this collection some time in the ninties. What sold the book for me were the the lines quoted above from On Working White Liberals. I had been browsing the book when I came upon these lines.
As a "white" liberal, the lines first shocked me with their idea, and then made me consider what I would do. Loading anyone's gun is not something I would willingly do. I
Alicia Terrill
I'm not a poetry person (hence the 3, although I think most of these poems are great), but there are a few that I love. "Still I Rise" is a favorite, as is "Caged Bird."
Tammy Ferebee
Hands down, my favorite collection of poems. Brilliant, inspiring, honest... I just love this book and I'm not too big on poetry.
julie ann tuliao
Quite a masterpiece.
After I read these poems, I've become a poem-addict again :)
Jonathan Stemberger
Angelou discusses many issues of race and religion in her book. She uses skills that many poets, even I use like alliteration, rhyming and repetition in her poems. But the main area that interested me with Angelou was her skill at working with form. In her book she uses a variety of forms, seemingly never the same twice. In one poem she may have abab rhyme scheme, then the next may have a stanza with two lines then seven. This ability to switch up forms is a valuable one that can aid the reader ...more
Ben
This collection of Maya Angelou's poems is great. It contains many of her well-known poems like "Phenomenal Woman." When I read "Phenomenal Woman in my global literature class, I found it to be quite an eye-catching poem. When I saw it again in this book, I went straight to the page and started reading it. This book is definitely a must-read for those who enjoy reading poems by Maya Angelou or just enjoy reading poetry in general. I also recommend this book with a wide variety of poems to read t ...more
Josiee☼
2. "A poet screams, 'CHRIST WAITS AT THE SUBWAY!' But who sees?"

It makes me feel sad that not everyone sees the way of Christ, and shows me that not everyone wants to see Christ. Also, it shows me that some people don't "see" the faces of people they dislike. Maya explains this in another verse of the poem, "Faces and more remember then reject." People remember others faces, but reject the idea of ever seeing them. This makes me depressed to see that this is what the world has come to.
Eden
Maya Angelou certainly has a way with words. In this book of poems, her talent shines through.
Each poem is deep, heartfelt and full of emotion. The words dance in your head and slowly form into pictures. Her poems are filled with images that stick in your head. Images and words that you really don't want to leave.

It was a wonderful collection of poems that has helped me with my own poetry writing. Her words are inspiring.

I recommend this book to anyone who likes poetry.
Vicki
I love this collection of poems. I took my well-worn, dog-eared copy to WT a few years ago to listen to Maya Angelou talk hoping she could sign it for me, but meeting her was only through invitation. I still felt very inspired throughout her speech. She is a wonderful lady.
I remember when I first read some of these poems, I thought she was racist. Then I realized, no, she is telling the story through the eyes of someone this happened to. We should all learn from it.
Katy
This was a nice collection of poems.
Tyler
This book is a bunch of poem by Maya Angelo put together into a book. I enjoyed this book because you got to see her style of writing and well as the topics that she chooses to write about. One poem that I really enjoyed was To Beat the Child Was Bad Enough. I really enjoyed this poem because it discussed suicide, and how the lives of people are lost with their soul, future and body. It also leaves you with a vivid image.
s a d i e
Maya's poems are really depressing. I haven't done any research on her, but I've heard that she writes poems about her life.
Eric Vincent
Maya Angelou has touched my heart with her poetry since 10th grade. Angelou writes poems that make sense and poems that will always be relvant in society. I would recommend this book to anybody beacuse it really makes you think. every poem is in there for a reason and none of them are just to fill space. It took me a few months to read and understand this book. It was amazing.
Robin
I'm really surprised, but I didn't enjoy this collection as much as I thought I would. Maybe I'm just crazy, or my expectations were wrong or something. While the themes the poems dealt with were important and powerful, the language was...boring. At least to me. I don't know, I just expected to fall in love with Angelou's poetry the same way I loved her book, and I didn't.
Courtni
My fav parts;

"Just like the moons and like the suns,
With the certainty of the tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I rise..."

Still I Rise

"I've got a magic charm
That I keep up my sleeve,
I can walk the ocean floor
And never have to breathe.
Life doesn't frighten me at all"

-Life Doesn't Frighten Me

And of course Phenomenal Woman is one of the best :)
Shawnee Bowlin
I checked this book out from our local library with high expectations. I have heard about Maya Angelou for years now, so I thought I was missing something by not introducing my homeschool student to her poems.
I've changed my train of thought on that one for sure. This book sucked. I honestly don't know how she became so famous, because I was thoroughly disappointed.
Nicola
I don't know how to rate poetry, but I really, really enjoyed this. I'm not a big reader of stuff like this, but it was all so heartfelt and passionate that it was just a pleasure to read. I recommend it for people who don't particularly fancy flowery poetry, and want something with a bit of guts in it. Maya Angelou speaks with a boldness I wish I had.
Akon
I thought this book was very touching, and I couldn't stop reading it at all. Especially the part where they talked about how they were send away to go live with another of there family members. Also how they were abused. Maya Angelou struggled so much when she was younger, thats why I look up to her now. That's also why I wanted to read her book.
  • Love Poems
  • Poem Crazy
  • Book of My Nights
  • Blood Dazzler
  • Ain't I a Woman! A Book of Women's Poetry from Around the World
Maya Angelou, born Marguerite Ann Johnson April 4, 1928 in St. Louis, Missouri, was an American poet, memoirist, actress and an important figure in the American Civil Rights Movement. In 2001 she was named one of the 30 most powerful women in America by Ladies Home Journal. Maya Angelou is known for her series of six autobiographies, starting with I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, (1969 which was n ...more
More about Maya Angelou...
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings The Heart of a Woman  Letter to My Daughter Wouldn't Take Nothing for My Journey Now The Complete Collected Poems

“If one is lucky, a solitary fantasy can totally transform a million realities.” 292 likes
“I walk into a room
Just as cool as you please,
And to a man,
The fellows stand or
Fall down on their knees.”
21 likes