Silent Night: A Raine Stockton Dog Mystery (Volume 5)

Silent Night: A Raine Stockton Dog Mystery (Raine Stockton Dog Mystery #5)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  177 ratings  ·  22 reviews
'TIS THE SEASON

It's Christmas time, and for Raine Stockton and her Search and Rescue dog, Cisco, Hansonville, North Carolina is just like a Norman Rockwell painting-- except for the rash of thefts of baby Jesus figurines from nativity scenes, an abandoned box of golden retriever puppies that someone leaves beside her mailbox, and a mysterious gift from one of Cisco's a gra...more
Published (first published November 19th 2011)

Ronna
This is the first Donna Ball Raine Stockton Dog Mystery that I've read, but it definitely won't be the last one for me. I chose it because of the Christmas theme, even though it was the fifth one in this series. Thankfully, though I mostly like to read books in their numerical order, I felt like I wasn't missing anything about the main characters.

Raine Stockton has her hands full with her Search & Rescue Dogs. Her training and grooming center is being remodeled but her funds have run dry. I...more
Jeanne Stephens
Silent Night is the best Raine Stockton novel I have read. I loved the others, but this one is a standout because of its believable characters and plot. I love this series because I love the mountains of North Carolina. I love dogs too and with dogs and the mountains you have a winning combination.
Raine visits nursing homes and brings her dogs to visit the patients. Just reading about this inspires me want to do the same.
A new character is introduced and I hope she stays around. At first Melan...more
Gloria Mccracken
I love, love, love this series; and this book is a worthy addition to it. With the Susan Conant (Holly Winter) malamute series and the Virginia Lanier bloodhound series, it rounds out the triumvirate of Wonderful Dog Mysteries. There are other, lesser series that involve dogs but in none of these do any of the animals, talk, drive cars, type notes or any other implausible behaviors and they are all well-written with characters you want to spend time with. I will admit that Raine Stockton (the pr...more
Eileen Goudge
My favorite kind of cozy mystery is the kind that isn't too...well, cozy. Some of the ones I've read are nice but put me to sleep (good if you're an insomniac). What I like about SILENT NIGHT, from the Raine Stockton series, is that it fits solidly into the cozy category but with just enough meat on the bones to hold my interest. As a dog lover, I enjoyed reading about the lead character's exploits as a dog trainer and her Golden Retriever rescue shelter. The characters of the canines were as we...more
I won this book in a goodreads.com giveaway.

I really enjoyed this cozy mystery, especially since I'm a dog lover. This is the 5th in a series about Raine Stockton who is a dog trainer who used to be married to a cop, and she finds herself solving mysteries in a town in North Carolina. Reading the description on the book, it sounded like too much was going to happen in one story. However, it did pan out and made sense and wasn't overwhelming. Raine was a charming character, and her dogs were even...more
Trisha
2014-01-24. Excellent book. I'm really loving this series even more with each book. I especially loved the bit about Mystery and Mischief getting out of their cages. Great! Murder and mystery was good. Progress made with Miles and his daughter perfect. Awesome storyline about the shoebox Esther gave her. Off to the next book!
Julia
This was a fun, fast read. The main character, Raine, was likable, and so were the other characters in the book.The dogs figured heavily in the story, which I liked. Too often you read a mystery claiming to be dog related, where the dogs only appear a few times. Dogs were prominent in this book, and they actually helped solve the mystery. This is the first book from this series that I have read. It doesn't seem necessary to read the previous books first in order to enjoy this one. I plan on seek...more
Marti
This was a short amusing book which had a lot happening. Raine Stockton is a dog trainer who has three dogs of her own. She used to be married to the sheriff in a small town in NC, and also does dog rescue. She becomes involved with a friend who suffers a ski accident--helps him out with his daughter. Some puppies are abandoned, and it is Raine to the rescue. A newborn baby shows up at the live nativity--you can get the idea. This apparently is the fifth in this series.
Elaine
Absolutely loved this mystery/romance/adventure. I love the whole Raine Stockton series, but this may have been my number one favorite. And, of course, Cisco, the mischievous golden retriever, stars, as does Raine's new love interest, Miles, and his daughter Melanie.

It is such a relief to read a believable mystery with characters you really care about. Well, believable except for the fact that Raine encounters and gets involved in serious crime about once a month. But then, most of the women in...more
Kathleen
still a fun little series.
Jan C
Christmas in the Carolinas and somebody dumps a box of puppies on Raine's doorstep. So half of the book is taken up with her trying to get puppies adopted to good homes. And her new boyfriend is dumping his daughter on her. They don't hit it off too well at first. And the next thing you know, Cisco, the golden retriever, is being used as a drug dog. I thought he was search and rescue.
Girlbartending

Another fun warm hearted mystery. Great for dog lovers. Recommend reading the books in order as the characters relationships develop through the overall storyline. You don't have to read the previous books to follow the main plot of each novel and I've not noticed any spoilers in newer books that would take away from the earlier mysteries.
Vicky
I enjoyed this book very much. I liked reading about characters from the other books and I enjoyed the new character: Melanie. The subplots with the puppies, the ex husband,and the "shoe box" were all intertwined very well. The murder mystery was also well done. I just wasn't sure who "did it". Looking forward to reading the next book in the series.
Joan
I was thinking this would be a light, predictable and no meat novel, but since I was wanting to read a Chrsitmas novel I downloaded it and to my surprise, I really like it. If you light light mysteries dogs, Christmas and romance you will like this one.
Robert Long
A Christmas delight.

This book brought joy to my first Christmas with out my beloved dog Zoie, who passed away this year after 17 years of love. Thanks for the joy you brought me.
Bonnie McHenry
Again, everything I love in a book...mystery, friendship, family, love lost, budding romance, and now add in Christmas, puppies, and a little 9 year old girl and you have a great read. A little bit of everything all rolled into one. Love this series!
Jeanie Jackson
Love this series and all the people in it. Even the two footed ones. The plots are interesting but it is interaction of the characters that make this one special.
This one takes place around Christmas, a season I enjoy reading about.
More later.
Sally Andrews
Silent Night

Great Christmas read for those who love dogs or a good mystery. Great characters and fun plot. I loved it!
Michelle
Raine and her dog Cisco solve several related mysteries in this story. Some of it is Raine's ability to put together things she's seen and some is just luck. Fun Christmas mystery.
Dianna
Jan 15, 2012 Dianna rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dianna by: Smash words free book
Shelves: fiction, love
A quick read mystery that involves Cisco, the Golden Retriever, search and rescue dog in training. While Cisco is not the best behaved pup, he still manages to get the job done.
Laurahttp://www.goodreads.com/user/edit?tab=profil
I should have read the description of the book before buying....I like animals but this was a little too much about dogs to be of interest to me.
Tara Coutts
Very good book, not as good as the Chet and Bernie books but close will read more of her books :)
Maureen
One of the best Rains Stockton books yet. Christmas spirit without schmaltz.
Alison G.
Alison G. marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
  • A Bite of Death (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #3)
  • The Only Witness
  • Children of Wrath
  • The Christmas Carol Murders
  • Sweet Masterpiece (A Samantha Sweet Mystery #1)
  • Lay Death at Her Door
  • Hot Dog (Melanie Travis, #9)
  • Ten Little Bloodhounds
  • Ice Blue
  • Whiskey on the Rocks (A Whiskey Mattimoe Mystery #1)
  • Death on the Family Tree (Family Tree, #1)
  • Pleating for Mercy (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery, #1)
  • The Case of the Flashing Fashion Queen (Dix Dodd Mystery, #1)
  • A Deadly Grind (A Vintage Kitchen Mystery, #1)
  • Ghost in the Polka Dot Bikini (A Ghost of Granny Apples Mystery, #2)
  • Woof at the Door (Call of the Wylde #1)
  • The Bluejay Shaman
  • Hot Property (A Savannah Martin Mystery, #2)
A Year on Ladybug Farm At Home on Ladybug Farm Love Letters from Ladybug Farm Keys to the Castle Smoky Mountain Tracks (Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries, #1)