Start by marking “Fresh Lipstick: Redressing Fashion and Feminism.” as Want to Read:
Fresh Lipstick: Redressing Fashion and Feminism.

Fresh Lipstick: Redressing Fashion and Feminism.

Fresh Lipstick shakes feminist fashion down to its Birkenstocks. Linda M. Scott wants to put an end to the belief that American women have to wear a colorless, shapeless uniform to achieve liberation and equality. A pointed attack on feminism's requisite style of dress, Fresh Lipstick argues that wearing high heels and using hair curlers does not deny you the right to seek ...more
Published January 15th 2005 by Palgrave MacMillan

To ask other readers questions about Fresh Lipstick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fresh Lipstick

Colleen
Aug 09, 2014 Colleen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
In the words of Jarvis Cocker, "you got it so wrong."
Dfordoom
Jun 01, 2008 Dfordoom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Why is feminism so often about control rather than freedom, and why has it been so obsessed with an anti-fashion, anti-beauty anti-sex agenda? These are the questions addressed by American academic Linda M. Scott in Fresh Lipstick: Redressing Fashion and Feminism.
David
Dec 11, 2016 David rated it it was amazing
I was surprised by this book. I was looking at the question of can you be fashionable and still be a feminist? I learned a great deal of the history of women in the United States, and the early feminists. Her focus was not on the best known characters such as Susan B Anthony. We do get to learn about Anthony, particularly to understand her roots and the milieu which helped shape her ideas. Instead we meet working women from the earliest years of the United States and see how they shaped women's ...more
Aliah
Jul 03, 2014 Aliah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Discusses the background, history, and evolution of feminism. Focuses on how feminism impacted fashion and how fashion influenced feminism. Lengthy with excellent explanations. Plays devils advocate, exposing both viewpoints in an argument. Definitely worth reading.

"Feminism and fashion are both part of the commerce of women's culture and thus are difficult to clearly separate." (127)

"The ability to control what is fashionable is a form of power women yield over each other." (127)

"The women with
Heather
May 28, 2013 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Solid research and really informative, but she kept criticizing 'feminism' and 'feminists' like they were all one big amorphous undifferentiated movement even though her book talks extensively about the work women of colour and working class women have done. Poor wording on her part, imo. She also seems to be working under the assumption that feminism has not changed since the second wave, but there's plenty of self identifying third wave feminists who have been arguing a lot of these same point ...more
Shelley
Mar 16, 2008 Shelley rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, misc
I found this to be completely fascinating and saw the sense in a lot of what she had to say. So basically I nodded a lot and it was like her preaching to the choir. Still, really interesting and I appreciated the different view of the women's right to vote, feminism and women's lib. Things make more sense now. *g*
Simone Collins
What a fantastic book! This completely changed my conception of feminism. Definitely a must-read for anyone even slightly involved with or interested in the feminist movement- or any sort of social movement for that matter. Perhaps indirectly, this book details the difference between powerful idealists in social movements and those who actually make change happen.
sally
Jul 07, 2008 sally rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book - I thought the analysis was good and the topic was fascinating. Unfortunately, it's reallllly long. I wish there were a better option covering the topic (and maybe there is by now).
Tonya
Oct 31, 2007 Tonya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read. Shows how feminists came to be associated with no makeup or shaving. Along the way you get a fascinating history lesson about feminism from Susan B Anthony to Gloria Steinem and beyond.
Jessica
Feb 18, 2008 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Um, so, I haven't read the whole thing. But I <3 Linda Scott, like, personally. And I think she makes a good point in this book.
Kim
A pretty good read though the author does seem to make some unfair generalizations about academics.
Erica
Erica rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2011
Eva Williams
Eva Williams rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2008
Lee
Lee rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2008
Jessica Land
Jessica Land rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2007
Carrie Schrupp
Carrie Schrupp rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2012
Heidi
Heidi rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2011
Johanna
Johanna rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2016
Arianna
Arianna rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2008
Penyez
Penyez rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2012
Jamie
Jamie rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2013
Jen
Jen rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2011
Desirea
Desirea rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2011
Johanna
Johanna rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2015
Annie
Annie rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2009
Andrea
Andrea rated it it was ok
Mar 24, 2011
robin
robin rated it liked it
Dec 22, 2007
Lulu
Lulu rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2008
Kathy Strong
Kathy Strong rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2008
  • To Write Like a Woman: Essays in Feminism and Science Fiction
  • We Don't Need Another Wave: Dispatches from the Next Generation of Feminists
  • The Femme Mystique
  • History of the Breast
  • It's So You: 35 Women Write About Personal Expression Through Fashion and Style
  • Victorian Fashions and Costumes from Harper's Bazar, 1867-1898
  • White Women, Race Matters: The Social Construction of Whiteness
  • Imperial Leather: Race, Gender, and Sexuality in the Colonial Contest
  • Dreaming of Chanel
  • Pink Think: Becoming a Woman in Many Uneasy Lessons
  • I Don't: A Contrarian History of Marriage
  • Understanding Popular Culture
  • Creamy and Crunchy: An Informal History of Peanut Butter, the All-American Food
  • Monster Theory: Reading Culture