Start by marking “Fresh Lipstick: Redressing Fashion and Feminism.” as Want to Read:
Fresh Lipstick: Redressing Fashion and Feminism.

Fresh Lipstick: Redressing Fashion and Feminism.

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Fresh Lipstick shakes feminist fashion down to its Birkenstocks. Linda M. Scott wants to put an end to the belief that American women have to wear a colorless, shapeless uniform to achieve liberation and equality. A pointed attack on feminism's requisite style of dress, Fresh Lipstick argues that wearing high heels and using hair curlers does not deny you the right to seek ...more
Published January 15th 2005 by Palgrave MacMillan

To ask other readers questions about Fresh Lipstick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fresh Lipstick

Colleen
In the words of Jarvis Cocker, "you got it so wrong."
Dfordoom
Why is feminism so often about control rather than freedom, and why has it been so obsessed with an anti-fashion, anti-beauty anti-sex agenda? These are the questions addressed by American academic Linda M. Scott in Fresh Lipstick: Redressing Fashion and Feminism.
Aliah
Discusses the background, history, and evolution of feminism. Focuses on how feminism impacted fashion and how fashion influenced feminism. Lengthy with excellent explanations. Plays devils advocate, exposing both viewpoints in an argument. Definitely worth reading.

"Feminism and fashion are both part of the commerce of women's culture and thus are difficult to clearly separate." (127)

"The ability to control what is fashionable is a form of power women yield over each other." (127)

"The women with
Heather
Solid research and really informative, but she kept criticizing 'feminism' and 'feminists' like they were all one big amorphous undifferentiated movement even though her book talks extensively about the work women of colour and working class women have done. Poor wording on her part, imo. She also seems to be working under the assumption that feminism has not changed since the second wave, but there's plenty of self identifying third wave feminists who have been arguing a lot of these same point ...more
Simone Collins
What a fantastic book! This completely changed my conception of feminism. Definitely a must-read for anyone even slightly involved with or interested in the feminist movement- or any sort of social movement for that matter. Perhaps indirectly, this book details the difference between powerful idealists in social movements and those who actually make change happen.
Shelley
I found this to be completely fascinating and saw the sense in a lot of what she had to say. So basically I nodded a lot and it was like her preaching to the choir. Still, really interesting and I appreciated the different view of the women's right to vote, feminism and women's lib. Things make more sense now. *g*
sally
I really liked this book - I thought the analysis was good and the topic was fascinating. Unfortunately, it's reallllly long. I wish there were a better option covering the topic (and maybe there is by now).
Tonya
A good read. Shows how feminists came to be associated with no makeup or shaving. Along the way you get a fascinating history lesson about feminism from Susan B Anthony to Gloria Steinem and beyond.
Jessica
Um, so, I haven't read the whole thing. But I <3 Linda Scott, like, personally. And I think she makes a good point in this book.
Kim
A pretty good read though the author does seem to make some unfair generalizations about academics.
Patience
couldn't even finish this book it was that bad. Wasn't liking the author's writing style.
Zue Jernstedt
Really enjoyed the information I got out of this book but found it a bit dry.
Gouri Kapoor
Gouri Kapoor marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Cyndi Raugh
Cyndi Raugh marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Amy Salitsky
Amy Salitsky marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Samantha Kolb
Samantha Kolb marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Rachel Gerrard
Rachel Gerrard marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Jennifer Jacobs
Jennifer Jacobs marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Larissa
Larissa marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Caro
Caro marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Maia Robinson
Maia Robinson marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Skylar
Skylar marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Pavel
Pavel marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Samantha Bradley
Samantha Bradley marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Misskat
Misskat marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
  • White Women, Race Matters: The Social Construction of Whiteness
  • Pink Think: Becoming a Woman in Many Uneasy Lessons
  • Girldrive: Criss-Crossing America, Redefining Feminism
  • Imperial Leather: Race, Gender, and Sexuality in the Colonial Contest
  • It's So You: 35 Women Write About Personal Expression Through Fashion and Style
  • I Don't: A Contrarian History of Marriage
  • Female Masculinity
  • The Supergirls: Fashion, Feminism, Fantasy, and the History of Comic Book Heroines
  • Monster Theory: Reading Culture
  • Ethics of Sexual Difference
Persuasive Imagery Persuasive Imagery: A Consumer Response Perspective (Advertising and Consumer Psychology)