Start by marking “Murder In Mesopotamia” as Want to Read:
Murder In Mesopotamia

Murder In Mesopotamia (Hercule Poirot #14)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  16,698 ratings  ·  484 reviews
Just as Amy Leatheran is about to return to England, she is hired by celebrated archaeologist Dr Leidner to work as a nurse/companion for his wife, who is subject to fits of nervous terrors. As they travel to an ancient site in the Iraqi desert, Amy finds herself in a situation stranger than she could ever have imagined, whilst Mrs Leidner proves to be a demanding yet fasc ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published July 19th 2004 by BBC Physical Audio (first published 1936)

Aimee
Agatha Christie married archaeologist Max Mallowan in 1930 (she was 40, he was only 26 -- Go Agatha!) and thereafter spent months at a time every year (with the exception of some years during WWII) in the Middle East on digs. She wrote many of her novels in a small mud closet with only a card table to hold her typewriter and a wooden chair to sit on. The locals actually considered her very extravagant for this. She also helped clean, sketch and photograph the artifacts they uncovered.

As she had
Henry Avila
On the lonely deserts of Mesopotamia(Iraq),in the 30's ,archaeologists are digging to discover the past.But at the present time,fear is in the air.Even as precious artifacts are found, from the 4th millennium .Looking at the site,it's just a pile of mud and dirt walls,very disappointing to the untrained eye.You would have to be an expert, to get excited. But this is after all,where the first civilization began,7,000 years ago(5,300 B.C.).Between the Tigris and Euphrates rivers.The Fertile Cresce ...more
Kurt
Sometimes I just love racist classist proper Agatha Christie. This book involves a murder in the Middle East, but all of the major characters are from Europe or the United States. There are brief references to one local henchman-type, and some menial laborers who are mostly around to irritate the Europeans with their incompetence, but mostly Agatha Christie doesn't like writing about people with dark skin, so she doesn't. The murder in this case is a nice little locked room mystery - a woman who ...more
Dina
Obsidian
I wish that I had liked this one more than I did (I gave it 3.5 stars but Goodreads only gives full stars so I rounded up to a 4). I think the main problem was that the story was told from Amy Leatheran's point of view.

Amy Leatheran speaks in an older voice during the course of this story though she was apparently a young nurse when this story takes place. The foreword was written by Doctor Giles Reilly (another character in the story) who mentions that it was four years ago when these events t
Meli
Descubrí al asesino al toque, me siento Da Doctah :P

F.R.
My first exposure to Hercule Poirot was those films Peter Ustinov made in the seventies and eighties. And I think the aspect which stayed with me the most was the cosmopolitan glamour of it all. Look! – there’s Bette Davis, David Niven and Mia Farrow all sailing down the Nile!

Reading this book though – set in Iraq – I find that Christie was perfectly capable of making Poirot as provincial as Miss Marple. In the introduction she thanks her “many archaeological friends in Iraq and Syria”, but the
Cata
Lembro-me de que quando vi o filme baseado neste livro há uns aninhos atrás, fiquei uns bons dias insegura (leia-se com medo) antes de beber água à noite, não fosse estar a beber ácido por engano, tal foi a forte impressão que o filme me causou.

Claro que agora que comecei a ler os livros da Agatha Christie este era um dos must read, embora me lembrasse de quem era o assassino e do que o levou a enveredar pela vida criminosa (daí a revelação não ter sido chocante, uma vez que não houve efeito sur
Toni Osborne
This is a soft murder story, as a young adult I enjoyed Miss Christie immensely, today I find her style passé and somewhat even boring. I guess in time some develop a taste for more gruesome epics.
Sara Gonçalves
Que hei-de dizer? Nunca na vida iria suspeitar do assassino!
Agatha Cristie é chamada a Rainha do Crime com toda a razão. É impressionante cada história que ela criou, cada crime, cada assassino... É fantástico.
Dos poucos livros que li da escritora, este não foi dos meus favoritos devido à inactividade da primeira parte - cerca de um terço da história - aquela que decorre até ao assassinato. Claro que é essencial para serem deixadas pistas, mas foi muito parada.
A narradora do livro é uma das pe
Melissa
Oh how I love Agatha Christie and the famous Hercule Poirot. Murder In Mesopotamia is now officially one of my favorite Agatha Christie mysteries. Why? Because I just simply didn't see the ending coming. Christie was so talented at leading you to look everywhere but at the actual perpetrator. Of course, by saying this I may give something away, but trust me, if you read this you will not be disappointed.

In typical fashion, Hercule Poirot just happens to be passing through when the latest murder
Alana
The general story is this: a nurse is hired to look after the wife of an archaeological dig leader. She isn't ill, but she is under the impression that someone is trying to kill her. So the reader won't be surprised (even if everyone else in the story is) when she winds up dead and it appears as though only a member of the dig team could have done it.
I purchased this one at an airport bookstore, and it was just what I needed for airport time as I waited for connections and the flights themselve
Nikita (NjKinny's World of Books & Stuff)

When Nurse Leatheran is called on to look after Loiuse, the wife of Dr. Leidner who is busy in the excavation activities going on at the Hassanieh dig in Iraq, she finds the atmosphere there to be filled with tension and one of impending doom.
"...I dont know what it was exactly...Nobody seemed quite natural. There was a queer atmosphere of tension..."

Loiuse or "Lovely Louise" as the Doctor's wife is called, is said to be afflicted with hallucinations. Sh
Radhika
Agatha Christie is an old love and, I believe that I continue to love her because of the impressionable age I started reading her.

I have since grown up in what holds my attention, but time and again, I sub-consciously reach for her book (sometimes ones I've read before) and enjoy it grudgingly, coz it's an old love. One indulges an old flame even if it has diminished in its glory.
These are times when I grit and sigh through the laborious descriptions of scenes, the characters, the dialog style
Carol
This wasn't my favourite Agatha Christie novel, though it was quick to read and well-plotted. At the center of the novel was the narrator, a nurse, who retells the story of the murders and the following investigation. She's supposed to be a likeable, reliable narrator, but I found that she took away from the story -and from Poirot, who played second fiddle to her. Why?I'm not quite sure why. This nurse/narrator doesn't actually figure anything out. She just "tells it like it is" and is privy to ...more
Dolly
Mar 17, 2013 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
As I continue my march through Agatha Christie's collected works, I savor each tale. That doesn't mean that I read the books slowly - often I rip through one in just a couple of hours of reading. I'm taking my sweet time by only reading a book or so each month or two, enjoying the ride. I don't know if I ever realized how many books she'd written.

The last time I was in France, I brought along Thirteen at Dinner, so I decided to create a tradition and bring this book along on my trip to France t
Mónica Silva
Opinião no blog http://howtoliveathousandlives.blogsp...

Este livro comporta páginas e páginas repletas de mistério, um cenário atraente e personagens peculiares, bem ao estilo da Rainha do Crime, Agatha Christie.

Desta vez, o homicídio em questão é cometido numa expedição arqueológica, em Tell Yarimjah, o que proporciona um cenário exótico e distinto a este mistério. A ação é narrada por Amy Leatheran, uma enfermeira que testemunha os crimes cometidos. Esta é uma lufada de ar fresco, pois temos a
Mohammed Mustafa
AS an arabic reader, that story was special for me . agatha show iraq as nice place , in a strange way of course , but still better than other writers ! .
she negleted local people in a ( bad ) war really .
about the novel , i really found it less engoyable , but still good . the part before crime and poiro apperance was so boring , but then it became so nice ! .

i knew the killer from the beggening ( yeaaaaaaaaa :D )

the end words was so great : " in the name of allah " :) #respect
Rami Amin
Murder in Mesopotamia is a novel writren by Agatha Cristie. The book focuses on intense suspense and a near impossible to solve crime case. The author leaves you shocked in the end with an amazing surprise ending as the sequence of events were leading you to expect a completely different conclusion. Fine detail by the author describes every scene and event that happen in the story. Murder in Mesopotamia is one of the best mystery novels that I have ever read. As the News Statesman and Nation sai ...more
Christie Maurer
This is a book with great strengths and great weaknesses. Agatha Christie made use of her quite considerable experience on an archeological dig in Iraq. Her husband was a noted archeologist, and she used to spend winters with him there. I enjoyed the authentic details of how they explore ancient ruins, deal with native workers, live together in a field house, etc.

Christie chose the narrator well--Nurse Letheren--for her practical yet concerned, insightful, and accepting attitude toward the othe
Keith
Jul 26, 2007 Keith rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Big Christie fans only
This book is a muddle from the start. Christie awkwardly introduces the book's narrator, then sets the story in a very dry, plodding manner. The result is a bunch of faceless characters wandering about.

It's obvious which of these characters is murdered from the very start, and the actual murderer was the first person I suspected. There are also a couple of important details in the book that simply weren't credible.

The narrative voice was an interesting departure from Captain Hastings', but did s
Bigyellowtaxi1
This used to be one of my favourite Poirots but when I read it today I couldn't for the life of me remember why. The whole thing just seemed a little disappointing, not terrible but not great.

The characters were all introduced at once so it was easy to forget a few of them, especially as many of them played an unbelievably minor role and contributed little or nothing to the mystery. I found it dfficult to feel any affinity towards Nurse Leatheran, undeniably she's a good choice for narrator; clo
Ahmad Sharabiani
Murder in Mesopotamia, Hercule Poirot Series #14, 1936
قتل در بین‌النهرین / جنایت در شب
عنوان: قتل در بین النهرین؛ اثر: آگاتا کریستی، مترجم: نگین ازدجینی، مشخصات نشر: تهران، آشیانه کتاب، 1377، در 304 ص، شابک: 9646350119، موضوع: داستانهای نویسندگان انگلیسی قرن 20 م
عنوان: ج‍ن‍ای‍ت‌ در ش‍ب؛ اث‍ر: آگ‍ات‍ا ک‍ری‍س‍ت‍ی‌‏‫؛ ت‍رج‍م‍ه‌ ق‍دی‍ر گ‍ل‍ک‍اری‍ان‌، مشخصات نشر: تهران، تلاش، 1379، در 211 ص، اندازه 16 در 11 س.م.، شابک: 9645750059؛ قبلا تحت عنوان قتل در بین النهرین توسط آشیانه کتاب در سال 1377 چاپ شده
Patricio
Lo más destacable y lo que más me ha gustado del libro ha sido la enfermera Leatheran y sus "one-liners". También me ha gustado que esté narradado desde su perspectiva.
Marita_z
Agatha é Agatha. Mais um bom livro, um pouco diferente dos outros, uma vez que temos a narração na primeira pessoa.
Final surpreendente como sempre. É isso que gosto nela, consegue sempre surpreender-nos, mesmo que acertemos, nunca é pelas razões que pensamos.

Agatha is Agatha. Another good book, a bit different from others, since we have the narration in the first person.
Surprising final as always. It's why I like her, she always manages to surprise us, even if guess is never for the reasons we
Colleen
I've been hunting around to find the book where I read the anecdote to quote for this review and cannot find it. The anecdote recounts a dinner with Agatha & her archaeologist husband Max, sometime in the mid 1960s, and said that never in their life did they have such an intensely uncomfortable dinner and heard more racist spewing in their life. When I find it, will update this review further. Reading that crushed my heart a bit because I love Christie's books but one cannot deny her prejudi ...more
Library-KAT

Nurse is called upon to write the murderous history of the archeological dig in Mesopotamia where the people are not whom they seem to be and the Leader of the dig's wife is murdered......

Archaeologist, Dr Lieder (who is devoted to his wife), has hired Nurse , to care for Mrs Leider, who has bouts of nervous terrors. Mrs Leider is not well liked as she does her best to dig at people causing them to hate her.......

Everyone has secrets & jealousies....... However, it is Mrs. Leider with a well
Aries

Un accampamento in mesopotamia, una spedizione di archeologi alquanto eterogenea...ed una donna bellissima ma paranoica che viene uccisa ...anche in questo romanzo la Christie ci porta in un ambiente esotico, con i colori ed i sapori tipici di quei luoghi assolati e sperduti... Tutto per la gioia del nostro caro Poirot, che anche stavolta si trova a dover non solo affrontare la ricerca di un insospettabile assassino, ma a dover pure combattere con il caldo e lo spiacevole inevitabile sudore, la

Booklovers Melbourne
Also reviewed at http://bookloversmelbourne.blogspot.c...

Set on the site of an archaeological dig in Iraq, Christie drew on her own personal experiences for this particular tale. It was on a visit to Ur in Iraq that she met her husband, archaeologist Max Mallowan in 1928. A keen semi-amateur archaeologist herself, she passionately supported her husband's career throughout her life.

Published in 1936, this was the fourteenth Poirot story. Christie had continually written new additions to the serie
Etienne Mahieux
"Meurtre en Mésopotamie" s'inspire des expéditions archéologiques auxquelles Agatha Christie a participé elle-même avec compétence dit-on et son second mari Max Mallowan, deuxième mariage qui la place exactement dans la position de la malheureuse qui défuncte cruellement vers le tiers de l'ouvrage...
Christie était une experte inquiète de l'art de conter. Elle choisit ici de s'en remettre à une narratrice improbable, infirmière compétente et observatrice finaude, mais pas du tout à l'aise avec l'
Agatha Christie L...: October 2012 - Murder in Mesopotamia 27 54 Nov 03, 2012 01:31PM
  • Vintage Murder (Roderick Alleyn, #5)
  • Agatha Christie
  • The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club (Lord Peter Wimsey, #5)
  • The Rose Rent (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #13)
  • Agatha Christie: A Biography
  • Murder by the Book (Nero Wolfe, #19)

Agatha Mary Clarissa Miller was born in Torquay, Devon, England, U.K., as the youngest of three. The Millers had two other children: Margaret Frary Miller (1879–1950), called Madge, who was eleven years Agatha's senior, and Louis Montant Miller (1880
More about Agatha Christie...

Hercule Poirot (1 - 10 of 42 books)
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot #1)
  • The Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot #2)
  • Poirot Investigates (Hercule Poirot, #3)
  • The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)
  • The Big Four (Hercule Poirot, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Blue Train (Hercule Poirot, #6)
  • Black Coffee (Hercule Poirot, #7)
  • Peril at End House (Hercule Poirot, #8)
  • Lord Edgware Dies (Hercule Poirot, #9)
  • Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10)
And Then There Were None Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot #1) Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple, #1) The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)

“Women can accept the fact that a man is a rotter, a swindler, a drug taker, a confirmed liar, and a general swine, without batting an eyelash, and without its impairing their affection for the brute in the least. Women are wonderful realists. ” 286 likes
“A woman who doesn't lie is a woman without imagination and without sympathy.” 40 likes