Start by marking “Sinner (Wayfarer Redemption, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sinner (Wayfarer Redemption, #1)

Sinner (The Wayfarer Redemption #4)

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,850 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
978 0 7322 5939 6
Published 1997 by HarperVoyager

To ask other readers questions about Sinner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sinner

Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!}
Disclaimer: Gifs.

I really liked this.

Yes, it will make you hate (or seriously dislike) Axis, Azhure, and Caelum.

While some people would think these next three books weren't necessary, but they were IMHO. There were a lot of foreshadowing in the first three books, that have led to events in the last three books in the series.

I love how Faraday returns to kick even more ass, and has turned into a BAMF Queen.

I love how Drago has depth to his character, and I am, by the end of this book rooting fo
Jackie
Apr 11, 2011 Jackie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in the second series to the Axis Trilogy. If you liked the first three books, you will not like these three. However, if you didn't like the first three books, you might like these three. Everything I liked about the Axis Trilogy was basically ripped apart and set on fire, making it completely pointless to read. Sinner, Pilgrim, and Crusader ruined the Axis Trilogy as a whole.

Bottom line: If you have read the Axis Trilogy, do yourself a favor and erase these next books fro
Joel Davies
The characters in the first three books of Wayfarer Redemption all share flaws and weaknesses, often times causing the reader to outright dislike them. Yet each character also had their redeeming qualities, and external influences that attributed to their actions.

In Sinner, almost every character is abrasive, arrogant, rude or stupid. Axis and Azhure seem hollow shells of the complex characters evolved over the previous books. Caelum acts like a four year old, not a man of 40 years!

The imminent
Jenn
Sep 23, 2010 Jenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 4th book in the Wayfarer redemption series but I personally think this is the start of a new trilogy. The story starts out 40 year after the big battle. It does bring back the old characters but they are not the main players. The children are the main focus of the book.

This book captured me just as much as the other books in the series. I found that the characters seemed to have a little more depth to them. I found Caelum being the weakest character out of all of them. He annoyed me
Patrick Bättig
Axis und Bornheld haben sich dazu durchgerungen, ihre Rivalitäten bis nach dem Winter zu vertagen, um Gorgraels Angriffen standhalten zu können. Axis kann die Angreifer sogar zurückschlagen und kommt wohl oder übel Bornheld zu Hilfe, der die Hauptlast des Ansturms zu tragen hat. Bornheld ist ihm dafür keinesfalls dankbar, und kaum ist der Winter vorrüber, bricht der Waffenstillstand auseinander. Noch bevor Bornheld Axis angreifen kann, hat der sich bereits auf den Weg in die Provinz Skarabost ge ...more
Belle
Sep 17, 2014 Belle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really liked this book. Sara Douglass created the kind of world that I want to stay in even after the story is over. Great plot weaving and pacing. Sometime I think books in the middle of a series are better when you read them without reading the first book(s). I love the feeling of all that backstory without having to know all of it. It wasn't hard at all to follow or catch up on the history of everything; I didn't even realize there was a glossary until I found it at the end of the book. Depth ...more
Jessi (Novel Heartbeat)

This book moves into the second story arc of the series. You can tell that it was originally supposed to be a trilogy - by itself, the first three books are a complete story. But, unlike some series that continue after they were supposed to stop, it doesn't feel like beating a dead horse. Like they were squeezing all the life they possibly could get out of the series. It's just a new story line!It's 40 years into the future, and it's the next generation of characters. (It's almost more of a spi
Lady K
Dec 31, 2010 Lady K rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy

Il faut savoir que ce tome est le premier d’une trilogie annoncée et la suite d’une première trilogie, la Trilogie d’Axis. Je tiens aussi à dire que je n’ai pas lu cette dernière et que j’ai pourtant compris ce qu’il se passait ! C’est un très bon point pour ce livre, il n’y a rien d’incompréhensible, tout est plus ou moins réexpliqué, les différentes races, les différents pouvoirs, les différents liens de parenté, tout ce que le lecteur a besoin de savoir
Trisha
Oct 04, 2009 Trisha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I finished book 1 of The Wayfarer Redemption by Sara Douglass. Of course, I'm confused by what the proper title of the series should be, because when I look on the internet for this series, it's books from earlier on in the world's timeline that first come up. Oh well...

I have read reviews that say the earlier (and possibly later) books are a lot better in that you care more about the characters in them...but as someone who has never read Sara Douglass before, i must say I really did enjoy th
Beaulah Pragg
Having read the first two books of the Darkglass Mountain Trilogy by Sara Douglass (a subsequent series), it was a fascinating leap to jump back into a time when Tencendor had not yet vanished beneath the sea and many of the characters who had been only legends were suddenly alive and 'breathing'.

'Sinner' is a book that can stand alone, but I suspect appeals far more to an audience that has already read Douglass' first 'Battle Axe' series because this set deals with the children and aftermath of
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
It's been forty years since the Prophecy of the Destroyer. Peace rules the land of Tencendor. Where Axis, Azhure and Faraday's children have grown. Many people do not like the rule of the Throne of Stars and seek to destroy the peace for their own gains. They want the kingdom of Achar back with Prince Zared as their king. Caelum does not want to see the kingdom of Achar reinstituted because it will cause strife among the races. Zared wishes to marry Leagh, Princess of the North but Caelum and he ...more
Lady Reads
Dec 30, 2012 Lady Reads rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hate giving books a one star rating; authors work so hard to bring a novel to life. I only do this, give the one star rating, if a book has serious or offensive flaws. This book has both.

I loved Wayfarer Redemption #3. I adored it. It was right up there with my favorite books of all time. Axis was so flawed but so brave. He was a worthy leader. Both Faraday and Ahzur were strong, decisive women and fair, beautiful mothers.

What you get in Sinner is the opposite of all these powerful character q
Katie
Aug 07, 2014 Katie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to find anyone to like, much less root for in this book. This book even managed to kill whatever love I had for Azhure in the first 3 books with her reaction to Zenith's troubles. The universe is compelling as ever and the story is interesting, but I hate everyone at this point and am kind of hoping the Timekeeper Demons eat all of them.

Seriously. Death to Tencendor. It's filled with jerks.
Andrea Pierce
Well...the story has taken an interesting turn. I have to say though that I can't relate to or even stand most of these new characters, or even who the main characters from the first trilogy have become. They just seem completely fixed, and incapable of any growth or change. In some cases the lack of morality was downright disturbing, and it is hard to find them believable. However, I am still intrigued by the story and want to find out how it ends, so there's that at least.
Rachel
Aug 10, 2014 Rachel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I have not read the first trilogy, and, if they're like this, I am quite pleased. Shallow, arrogant, pompous characters, an entire plot that was predictable, and the whole plot lines revolving around Drago and Zenith were as annoying as they could possibly be. Maybe because I am a firm believer in the fact that it's our choices that make us who we are, the thought that Drago was born to do what he did, and Zenith was born to be who she was, was incredibly hard to stomach.
Evelyn
Jan 17, 2015 Evelyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This first three books in this series stand alone just fine as a trilogy. This is the book that introduces the idea that there are no heroes. If you like happy endings, stop with the third book. This is the book where the characters fall to their own fatal flaws and all sense of black and white is gone.
Donna
Oct 09, 2010 Donna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy fans
Recommended to Donna by: my sister, Dionne
At the end of the 'Axis Trilogy' my like of Sara Douglass as a fantasy author was waning, after reading the opener to the 'sequel' trilogy, it has almost been obliterated.
There is not much charm or eloquence to this novel at all. I found her writing to be crudely designed to shock, especially in the way she romanticises incest and condones the brutal murder of a child.
I believe she also has isolated fans of the original trilogy by making her 'old favourite' characters into hollow, unlikeable sho
Janina
Sep 14, 2014 Janina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
STOP after book 3! The first three were my favorite, but after that it goes WAY WAY down hill and you keep reading thinking it will get better by book six, but it DOES NOT!
Chris Pacheco
Feb 12, 2014 Chris Pacheco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the Axis trilogy. Yet, i did not like the characters very much. There were a few here and there, but many of the main characters just sucked. I believe that since that was Sara's first story, it had the characteristics of a first story. But this. This... is something fucking amazing. Sara douglass is fucking relenbtless with the amount of suffering she puts on her cast. It truly reminded me of Ian Irvine(AUS). I love how what ever hardships the people in the first three books faced and ...more
Anastasia
I liked this better than the first trilogy, I think for one reason: because I wasn't supposed to like the characters I didn't like. I never warmed to Axis in the first trilogy. In fact, I think I liked him less as the novels went on. Caelum, on the other hand, isn't supposed to be likable, which is good, because I think he's a total dick. Actually, there aren't many characters I like at all. Zenith, and perhaps StarDrifter.

The rest of my complaints about the original trilogy apply here - dumb na
Mar 09, 2016 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will review when done with series. If you are that interested in my opinion, check for my review of series under book one.
Jennifer Housewright
I thought I couldn't bring myself to go further in the series after Faraday (...nope...spoilers). Sufficed to say I'm glad I kept going.
Sara
Sep 28, 2015 Sara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, this-is-shit
Because I enjoyed the first trilogy in the Wayfarer Redemption series so much, this book and its subsequent sequels were such a let-down. I did not like the direction the story went in at all. I was perfectly happy with the ending of the story in Starman, and I felt like this second trilogy was thrown together just because the publisher wanted to milk the series for all that it was worth, thereby destroying my experience in the process.

So I like to pretend that this book and the two that followe
Laura Gary
Jul 31, 2014 Laura Gary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love love love this series!!!
Caprica
May 17, 2008 Caprica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just finished and was pleasantly surprised. I liked this and did not expect to. The first three books I read years ago and was very emotionally affected by the ending. When I found out that some characters returned in these books, I just didn't want to have to deal with them again. Douglass creates people that can be truly annoying and make you dislike them, which is unusual since they are usually the protaginists of the tale. I finally gave into reading the second trio of this series and glad t ...more
Mindy
Nov 24, 2008 Mindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
So, this is the fourth book in a series I thought there were only 3 of. I kind of wonder if there were only supposed to be three but people liked them so much Douglass invented a subsequent trilogy for the same world. If that is the case, she's done a great job. To many times, authors trying to build off the success of books by writing sequels they never intended do a poor job, but not so in this case. Douglass' world is detailed enough to support another storyline, and I can't wait to read the ...more
Aly Linderer
I adored the first three books of the series, so I bought the next two thinking they'd be just as good. They weren't. I liked them, but I barely finished Sinner and hardly touched Pilgrim. The children are all abrasive, arrogant and extremely hard to like. Axis and Azhure aren't the glorious characters they were before; it's like the souls were sucked from them upon becoming gods!

Unless you really want to see what happens with the kids (I didn't) stop with Starman.
Brenda
May 17, 2012 Brenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
This series is very good, but intense and dark. If you start it be ready to read a lot of material that can become very depressing. But, the writing is so good the reader falls in love with this alternate world with is different races, religions, and magics. I loved it, but I had to space out reading each book so I did go into a bad place in my head due to the graphic violence to women (sorry for the spoiler).
Adrienne Crowley
This is really book 4 of the series... I liked the first book so much that I bought the remaining 5 of the series from a book store in Australia and had them shipped to my house here in Michigan. It ended up being totally worth it to read them in succession instead of waiting 2 years in between waiting for them to be published here.
Lydia Presley
Oct 06, 2009 Lydia Presley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
I think I almost like this book better than the original trilogy. I was torn back and forth between sides, felt a hurt I didn't think possible for Drago, was angry at Caelum and wondered if I was wrong about Axis and Azhure more often than not!

Needless to say, I ripped quickly through this book and look forward to the next.
Goodreads Librari...: Page count is incorrect 3 25 Mar 16, 2012 04:04PM
  • Treason Keep (Hythrun Chronicles: Demon Child, #2)
  • The Assassin King (Symphony of Ages, #6)
  • The Pool of Two Moons (The Witches of Eileanan, #2)
  • Revenge (Trinity, #2)
  • Masters of Reality: The Gathering (The Ancient Future, #3)
  • Wild Magic (Fool's Gold, #2)
Douglass was born in Penola, South Australia. She attended Annesley College, in Wayville, a suburb of Adelaide. She studied for her BA while working as a Registered Nurse, and later completed her PhD in early modern English History. She became a lecturer in medieval history at La Trobe University, Bendigo. While there she completed her first novel, BattleAxe, which launched her as a popular fantas ...more
More about Sara Douglass...

The Wayfarer Redemption (6 books)
  • The Wayfarer Redemption (Wayfarer Redemption, #1)
  • Enchanter (Wayfarer Redemption, #2)
  • Starman (Wayfarer Redemption, #3)
  • Pilgrim (Wayfarer Redemption, #5)
  • Crusader (Wayfarer Redemption, #6)