The Last Vampire (Dark Season, #1)

The Last Vampire (Dark Season #1)

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  698 ratings  ·  78 reviews
Rescued from certain death, Sophie Hart finds herself drawn into the underground world of Patrick, a silent vampire who also happens to be the last of his kind.

In volume 1 of the Dark Season series, Sophie encounters Patrick for the first time. But while she finds herself drawn to him, she also meets a man who has been chronicling the vampires for many years, and who has a...more
Published November 1st 2011 by Dark Season Books

Leslie
The Last Vampire is a novella about a centuries old, vampire named, "Patrick." His character was interesting from the get-go mostly because he could not, or maybe even would not speak. (Still not sure about that yet.) Late one night, Patrick ends up saving the life of a young woman named, "Sophie," who is being severely beaten by two men at an ATM. She is near death, and after Patrick rips the two men literally in half, he carefully carries Sophie to an old underground mine where he and his "fat...more
Judy
This is a free e-book at Smashwords, Amazon & B&N.
Dark Season: The Last Vampire by Amy Cross Book 1
I read that these books are stand alone books but if you like series then you will want to know what happens. It definitely ends with you not knowing what happens next.

Sophie Hart is attacked one night while walking home. She is brutally beaten when suddenly her attackers are the ones being hurt and she is then carried away. She finds herself underground and learns that vampires exist, alth...more
Deborah
Okay, i wrote this review prior to finishing the last 20 pages. Now that i am done, i can safely say this was one of the most poorly written and ridiculous series I have ever read. Don't waste your time!

I plowed through the series, hoping it would get better; but alas, it just got worse! The story concept had potential, but unfortunately it never found its way into a plot that made any sense. The Main character, Patrick, the last vampire, is mute for some weird reason - a vow or something incons...more
Roxanne
Honestly I didn't enjoy this book at all and the only reason I read the full book was because I paid for it.

For me the book had no storyline and I didn;t like the fact that Patrick didnt talk throughout the whole story. There was no intrigue and nothing to keep the readers in suspense and the ending was no better in my opinion.

I would also like to say that I am not being nasty on this review just in case people take it the wrong way, I am simply giving my opinion.
Robert Rector
This series started fairly well but by the half way point the story line went no where fast. There isn't much of a story line and what was there really didn't make much sense. Werewolves were introduced for a chapter but they really had nothing to do with the story line and there wasn't anything special or unique about Sophie and why she was the one that was so important to the prophecy. I wouldn't recommend this book.
Mandy37
Horrible! I don't remember if I paid for this or not, but I'm hoping it was a free book. It took me about an hour to read-what the crap is that about, that's not a book, but an article. I did not feel anything for the fully under-developed charachters, and the author likes to use the word realize and spell it 'realise'. That word is on every single page at least once. Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad writing.
Sue
I enjoyed reading this book. I got it on b&n from one of the free downloads that they offer. I thought there was unneeded profanity, but other than that I enjoyed it. It's a little frustrating since, I'll have to buy the last two books if I want to read them because I can't get them from the library.....what to do??? hum...
Karina Kantas
This was an easy, quick read, but predictable. The only difference with this and the other vamp novels out there, is this vampire didn't talk.

I liked the way it went from her P.O.V to his.

I'm glad I read it. But there was nothing to keep my interest.

This doesn't mean I won't read something else by this author.
Kristilyn (Reading In Winter)
While selecting a book for the very first book club of Reading In Winter (After Dark), I think I set my sights a little too low. I mean, it's the NAUGHTY book club, so one would think that there would be a peen or maybe, just maybe, a little sex. I'm not even sure where I found this ebook on Amazon, but I'm pretty sure it was in the romance section.

Romance, this was not.

This book was young, rescued Sophie throwing herself at a vampire who's pretty much saying, "Yeah. I don't think so." So what d...more
Tresa da BookNerdette
I grabbed this book off Barnes & Nobles free nook book list. I warn you right now the other books are NOT easily available for us nook owners. I don't know how the two websites work.. do authors submit their books or do the sites inquire for the books. Whatever or however... the fact is Amy Cross has this first of a series book on B&N and all of them are available on Amazon. [rollseyes] This is most aggravating and I come close to not reading anymore... I went into work and found myself...more
Noodle
Novella versus Novel? That is the big question. I will admit, I have been a staunch novel supporter, I simply don't like becoming attached to a character/world/mystery and then having it cut off before it truly gets going. I am still going to say my preferred would be a full length novel. I just love the night after night read.

BUT, Amy Cross's The Last Vampire is sure testing that theory for me.

This was a wonderful, albeit short, read. I fell into Amy's writing style with ease, despite the fact...more
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
This is one of those short stories that you immediately want to know more about, but unfortunately it ends before you get any real answers. The main character is interesting enough, though she was fairly stupid at times. Here's an important reminder: If a guy "randomly" starts insisting vampires are real and asking you to help out, you should probably stay away from him. Patrick, the vampire, is by far the most interesting but he is also fairly frustrating since he doesn't talk (can't or won't,...more
Mossie Sweet
Alisha
The currious thing about this book is that one of the main characters doesn't speak. Whether he can't or wont, it makes for admittedly one sided but nonetheless unique dialog. The Last Vampire is the first in a series that revolves around the title character and his possible Lady love. There was a lot of action and the Lady Love is rescued on numerous occasions by the last vampire. The plot was interesting and the story shifts between the point of view of the Lady love and the internal monologue...more
Paige Duff
Even though the book is short, and it is supposed to be able to be a stand alone even though there are two more books, it leaves a lot of unfinished things to be thought of. If this is supposed to be able to stand on it's own without having to read the others to get the complete thing then they should have made it a bit longer and/or put in more detail. Other than that it was not a bad read to be able to just pick up and read a bit here or there, it's not one of those you won't want to put down,...more
Rachel Lynn Sterling
I liked this book...but, the description I read said that it could be read as a stand alone without reading the whole series. That may be true - if you like watching only half of a movie! After reading this first book, I went ahead a purchased all 8 books in the series as a set. It wasn't one of those books that I just couldn't put down, but it was very entertaining. I felt I got my money's worth and will probably be purchasing the next books in the series. (No, even after 8, it's still not fini...more
MsBDiamondDiva1
I liked this story a lot, only problem is I wanted and really thought I need more information about Patrick. Sophie was a likable character and finally someone wrote a teenage character that acts like a teenager. I guess that is what has me wanting to know more about this series. I love the fact that Patrick doesn't talk and that he sees the ghost of all the vampires he has killed. I wonder what Sophie will do, when she discovers the truth about the murders of Rose Tisser and Jessica Harper. I j...more
Greg
OK, this was one I picked up free somewhere, but it was still extremely short and felt like it ended mid story, which was annoying, but not enough for me to track down the next one
Heather
i liked the book. it is an interesting lay out, that if you are not paying attention you may get lost. interesting characters interesting story especially if you read through the whole series.

each book kind of ends with a bit of a clif hanger and the last book ends leaving a lot more questions unanswered than answered. I did enjoy the series. I have read a lot of vampire books and have not come across anything like this before. I wish each book was a bit longer and had more but over all very go...more
Julie E.
Series starts out strong and really drew me in. By book 3, I couldn't put it down. Book 8 VERY disappointing. Series does not conclude, rather leaves you with a cliffhanger to await "Series 2" which should be called "Season 2" as it is obviously written for a TV series. I don't intend to read "Series 2". I hate TV soap operas and this is just the written form of the samething. Wish I hadn't wasted my time.
Aymee
This was a really cute story despite some editing issues. Although the heroine, Sophie, had a couple of TSTL moments, she's overall an enjoyable and likable character. Patrick, I'm still up in the air about. I want to like him, but since he doesn't talk, it's kind of hard to know where he's coming from, even with the short glances from his POV. All in all, I'm looking forward to reading the next in the series.
Kelly
Interesting start to a series. I was expecting a little more romance but that's more my fault than the book's since I didn't read the synopsis before starting. Dark and a little bleak, but intriguing.

This book was a free Kindle download I picked up 10/21/12 for the Why Buy the Cow? reading challenge.

-Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal
Shadowstorm Norwicca
Okay this book was a little.... I guess a little of confusion. You have Sophie the damsel in distress and Patrick the sexy Vampire. Here comes the confusion he can't speak and there is little knowledge of his origins, but just he is going to kill her. I for one was just not happy with this story and I saw the potential, but it never reached it. This was not a X marked the spot story for me.
Sharon
there was a serious lack of plot development in the book. Not to mention the girl apparently thought it was necessary to just throw herself at her hero vampire just because.

AND Patrick is the last vampire but he lives with his father who is not a vampire? There is just no explanation to speak of.

Overall, there is just an all around lack of anything in this book.
Lola4
This is not just a Twilight rip-off but a gripping vampire tale with an original story line and intriguing characters, well-developed and well-written. It appears to be Chapter 1 in an eight chapter tale but can be read as a stand-alone Novella. It is a very engrossing page-turner that can be read in less than an hour with no boring spots and the story never lags.
Bridget
This was an intriguing free ebook from Amazon, but it was really a teaser that left me with no resolution to any of the questions it raised. Frustrating. And the story wasn't exceptional so not really worth hunting down the books. Apparently there is a prophecy that the "last" surviving vampire would kill the heroine. Eventually. After she falls for him.
Alice Saunders
I really enjoyed this short story. The point of view fit perfectly with the structure of the story. I wish I could have learned more about Patrick's character but the story leaves you with a lot of questions. In any event I still loved the story. It kept my attention and I can't wait to read the second book.
*Angela*
This was okay for a freebie. The story has potential, but you do have to deal with some minor editing errors (awkward wording, minor mistakes in details). I am only rating this 2 stars because in my opinion it was too short, left too many unanswered questions, and I really did not like the heroine.
Julie Baker
Short but good. It's another free Kindle acquisition so. Apparently it's just a "novella" and there is a series of them. Looking forward to finding out what the heck happens because it was a bit of an abrupt stop. At first I didn't even realize it was done but that's just me.
Natascha
It's nice that it's a free e-book, the suspense is getting higher and at the moment you really want to read more, you're through the first book! Problem: he books aren't sold in the Netherlands so I will not be able to finish the whole story, and that quite bothers me!!
  • Stolen (Bitten #2)
  • The Vampire from Hell: The Beginning (The Vampire from Hell, #1)
  • One Last Bite
  • Cameron's Law (Adelheid, #1)
  • My Lady Vampire - Book One
  • Vampire Love Story Boxed Set (Five Novels)
  • Thirst (Ava Delaney, #1)
  • Discovery of Death (Blood of My World, #1)
  • Sunrise at Sunset (Sunset Vampire, #1)
  • Eye of the Witch (Tony Marcella Mysteries, #2)
  • Hunter's Choice (The Hunters)
  • Tranquility (Otherkin, #2)
  • The Seventh Sister (Parched, #2)
  • Rise of the Demons (Oceans of Red #1)
  • The Vampire's Warden (Undead in Brown County, #1)
  • Vampire Apocalypse: A World Torn Asunder
  • The Vampire Hunter's Daughter (The Vampire Hunter's Daughter #1)
  • Once Bitten (Alexa O’Brien, Huntress, #1)
Amy Cross writes serial fiction in a number of genres, mainly focusing on horror and fantasy. Books include The Girl Who Never Came Back, Asylum, The Night Girl and The Dead & the Dying.
More about Amy Cross...
Asylum: The Complete Series Dark Season: The Complete First Series (Dark Series, #1-8) Sentinel (Dark Season #2) The Girl Who Never Came Back Army of Wolves (Dark Season #3)