Start by marking “The Last Vampire (Dark Season, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Last Vampire (Dark Season, #1)

The Last Vampire (Dark Season #1)

Rescued from certain death, Sophie Hart finds herself drawn into the underground world of Patrick, a silent vampire who also happens to be the last of his kind.

In volume 1 of the Dark Season series, Sophie encounters Patrick for the first time. But while she finds herself drawn to him, she also meets a man who has been chronicling the vampires for many years, and who has a
Published November 1st 2011 by Dark Season Books

To ask other readers questions about The Last Vampire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Vampire

Leslie
Feb 19, 2012 Leslie rated it liked it
The Last Vampire is a novella about a centuries old, vampire named, "Patrick." His character was interesting from the get-go mostly because he could not, or maybe even would not speak. (Still not sure about that yet.) Late one night, Patrick ends up saving the life of a young woman named, "Sophie," who is being severely beaten by two men at an ATM. She is near death, and after Patrick rips the two men literally in half, he carefully carries Sophie to an old underground mine where he and his "fat ...more
Deborah
Jul 31, 2013 Deborah rated it did not like it
Okay, i wrote this review prior to finishing the last 20 pages. Now that i am done, i can safely say this was one of the most poorly written and ridiculous series I have ever read. Don't waste your time!

I plowed through the series, hoping it would get better; but alas, it just got worse! The story concept had potential, but unfortunately it never found its way into a plot that made any sense. The Main character, Patrick, the last vampire, is mute for some weird reason - a vow or something incons
Judy
Jan 16, 2012 Judy rated it really liked it
This is a free e-book at Smashwords, Amazon & B&N.
Dark Season: The Last Vampire by Amy Cross Book 1
I read that these books are stand alone books but if you like series then you will want to know what happens. It definitely ends with you not knowing what happens next.

Sophie Hart is attacked one night while walking home. She is brutally beaten when suddenly her attackers are the ones being hurt and she is then carried away. She finds herself underground and learns that vampires exist, alth
Robert Rector
Jun 03, 2012 Robert Rector rated it it was ok
This series started fairly well but by the half way point the story line went no where fast. There isn't much of a story line and what was there really didn't make much sense. Werewolves were introduced for a chapter but they really had nothing to do with the story line and there wasn't anything special or unique about Sophie and why she was the one that was so important to the prophecy. I wouldn't recommend this book.
*Lily's*
Nov 13, 2014 *Lily's* rated it really liked it
I liked The Last Vampire. I'm still getting to know the characters, so I'll how it goes. I like Vincent and Patrick, there's something about them. Sophie in the other hand was looking for trouble if you ask me. She was attacked, nearly killed but the next day she goes out walking by herself out into the woods. Girl, that is dangerous. Especially if you know there's vampires out there too. Other than that craziness, it was a good start to a series.
Mandy37
Jun 24, 2012 Mandy37 rated it did not like it
Shelves: these-suck
Horrible! I don't remember if I paid for this or not, but I'm hoping it was a free book. It took me about an hour to read-what the crap is that about, that's not a book, but an article. I did not feel anything for the fully under-developed charachters, and the author likes to use the word realize and spell it 'realise'. That word is on every single page at least once. Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad writing.
Roxanne
Dec 28, 2012 Roxanne rated it did not like it
Honestly I didn't enjoy this book at all and the only reason I read the full book was because I paid for it.

For me the book had no storyline and I didn;t like the fact that Patrick didnt talk throughout the whole story. There was no intrigue and nothing to keep the readers in suspense and the ending was no better in my opinion.

I would also like to say that I am not being nasty on this review just in case people take it the wrong way, I am simply giving my opinion.
Karina Kantas
Feb 17, 2012 Karina Kantas rated it liked it
This was an easy, quick read, but predictable. The only difference with this and the other vamp novels out there, is this vampire didn't talk.

I liked the way it went from her P.O.V to his.

I'm glad I read it. But there was nothing to keep my interest.

This doesn't mean I won't read something else by this author.
Kristilyn
Oct 20, 2012 Kristilyn rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2012, freebie
While selecting a book for the very first book club of Reading In Winter (After Dark), I think I set my sights a little too low. I mean, it's the NAUGHTY book club, so one would think that there would be a peen or maybe, just maybe, a little sex. I'm not even sure where I found this ebook on Amazon, but I'm pretty sure it was in the romance section.

Romance, this was not.

This book was young, rescued Sophie throwing herself at a vampire who's pretty much saying, "Yeah. I don't think so." So what d
Noodle TheNaughtyNightOwl
Novella versus Novel? That is the big question. I will admit, I have been a staunch novel supporter, I simply don't like becoming attached to a character/world/mystery and then having it cut off before it truly gets going. I am still going to say my preferred would be a full length novel. I just love the night after night read.

BUT, Amy Cross's The Last Vampire is sure testing that theory for me.

This was a wonderful, albeit short, read. I fell into Amy's writing style with ease, despite the fact
BookNerdette
Dec 05, 2012 BookNerdette rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorite
I grabbed this book off Barnes & Nobles free nook book list. I warn you right now the other books are NOT easily available for us nook owners. I don't know how the two websites work.. do authors submit their books or do the sites inquire for the books. Whatever or however... the fact is Amy Cross has this first of a series book on B&N and all of them are available on Amazon. [rollseyes] This is most aggravating and I come close to not reading anymore... I went into work and found myself ...more
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
This is one of those short stories that you immediately want to know more about, but unfortunately it ends before you get any real answers. The main character is interesting enough, though she was fairly stupid at times. Here's an important reminder: If a guy "randomly" starts insisting vampires are real and asking you to help out, you should probably stay away from him. Patrick, the vampire, is by far the most interesting but he is also fairly frustrating since he doesn't talk (can't or won't, ...more
Mossie Sweet
Feb 23, 2012 Mossie Sweet rated it it was ok
Alisha
Sep 10, 2012 Alisha rated it really liked it
The currious thing about this book is that one of the main characters doesn't speak. Whether he can't or wont, it makes for admittedly one sided but nonetheless unique dialog. The Last Vampire is the first in a series that revolves around the title character and his possible Lady love. There was a lot of action and the Lady Love is rescued on numerous occasions by the last vampire. The plot was interesting and the story shifts between the point of view of the Lady love and the internal monologue ...more
Paige Duff
Oct 01, 2013 Paige Duff rated it really liked it
Even though the book is short, and it is supposed to be able to be a stand alone even though there are two more books, it leaves a lot of unfinished things to be thought of. If this is supposed to be able to stand on it's own without having to read the others to get the complete thing then they should have made it a bit longer and/or put in more detail. Other than that it was not a bad read to be able to just pick up and read a bit here or there, it's not one of those you won't want to put down, ...more
Rachel Lynn Sterling
I liked this book...but, the description I read said that it could be read as a stand alone without reading the whole series. That may be true - if you like watching only half of a movie! After reading this first book, I went ahead a purchased all 8 books in the series as a set. It wasn't one of those books that I just couldn't put down, but it was very entertaining. I felt I got my money's worth and will probably be purchasing the next books in the series. (No, even after 8, it's still not fini ...more
MsBDiamondDiva1
Feb 23, 2012 MsBDiamondDiva1 rated it liked it
I liked this story a lot, only problem is I wanted and really thought I need more information about Patrick. Sophie was a likable character and finally someone wrote a teenage character that acts like a teenager. I guess that is what has me wanting to know more about this series. I love the fact that Patrick doesn't talk and that he sees the ghost of all the vampires he has killed. I wonder what Sophie will do, when she discovers the truth about the murders of Rose Tisser and Jessica Harper. I j ...more
Heather
Apr 26, 2012 Heather rated it liked it
i liked the book. it is an interesting lay out, that if you are not paying attention you may get lost. interesting characters interesting story especially if you read through the whole series.

each book kind of ends with a bit of a clif hanger and the last book ends leaving a lot more questions unanswered than answered. I did enjoy the series. I have read a lot of vampire books and have not come across anything like this before. I wish each book was a bit longer and had more but over all very go
Kelly
Oct 22, 2012 Kelly rated it liked it
Interesting start to a series. I was expecting a little more romance but that's more my fault than the book's since I didn't read the synopsis before starting. Dark and a little bleak, but intriguing.

This book was a free Kindle download I picked up 10/21/12 for the Why Buy the Cow? reading challenge.

-Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal
Julie E.
Jul 15, 2012 Julie E. rated it really liked it
Series starts out strong and really drew me in. By book 3, I couldn't put it down. Book 8 VERY disappointing. Series does not conclude, rather leaves you with a cliffhanger to await "Series 2" which should be called "Season 2" as it is obviously written for a TV series. I don't intend to read "Series 2". I hate TV soap operas and this is just the written form of the samething. Wish I hadn't wasted my time.
Aymee
Nov 27, 2012 Aymee rated it really liked it
This was a really cute story despite some editing issues. Although the heroine, Sophie, had a couple of TSTL moments, she's overall an enjoyable and likable character. Patrick, I'm still up in the air about. I want to like him, but since he doesn't talk, it's kind of hard to know where he's coming from, even with the short glances from his POV. All in all, I'm looking forward to reading the next in the series.
Shadowstorm Norwicca
Okay this book was a little.... I guess a little of confusion. You have Sophie the damsel in distress and Patrick the sexy Vampire. Here comes the confusion he can't speak and there is little knowledge of his origins, but just he is going to kill her. I for one was just not happy with this story and I saw the potential, but it never reached it. This was not a X marked the spot story for me.
Sharon
there was a serious lack of plot development in the book. Not to mention the girl apparently thought it was necessary to just throw herself at her hero vampire just because.

AND Patrick is the last vampire but he lives with his father who is not a vampire? There is just no explanation to speak of.

Overall, there is just an all around lack of anything in this book.
*Angela*
Feb 11, 2012 *Angela* rated it it was ok
This was okay for a freebie. The story has potential, but you do have to deal with some minor editing errors (awkward wording, minor mistakes in details). I am only rating this 2 stars because in my opinion it was too short, left too many unanswered questions, and I really did not like the heroine.
Manuela
Aug 28, 2015 Manuela rated it did not like it
I did not like it. I did not like that there were more questions at the end than answers, I did not like that the vampire did not talk, at all. I did not like the female main character, her indecisiveness and her constant questioning, but acting against the conclusions she has come to. This story did not work for me at all. Sorry.
Sue
Feb 05, 2012 Sue rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this book. I got it on b&n from one of the free downloads that they offer. I thought there was unneeded profanity, but other than that I enjoyed it. It's a little frustrating since, I'll have to buy the last two books if I want to read them because I can't get them from the library.....what to do??? hum...
Bridget
Jan 09, 2013 Bridget rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormel, ebook
This was an intriguing free ebook from Amazon, but it was really a teaser that left me with no resolution to any of the questions it raised. Frustrating. And the story wasn't exceptional so not really worth hunting down the books. Apparently there is a prophecy that the "last" surviving vampire would kill the heroine. Eventually. After she falls for him.
LadyCalico
Jan 20, 2012 LadyCalico rated it really liked it
This is not just a Twilight rip-off but a gripping vampire tale with an original story line and intriguing characters, well-developed and well-written. It appears to be Chapter 1 in an eight chapter tale but can be read as a stand-alone Novella. It is a very engrossing page-turner that can be read in less than an hour with no boring spots and the story never lags.
Alice Saunders
Aug 07, 2012 Alice Saunders rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this short story. The point of view fit perfectly with the structure of the story. I wish I could have learned more about Patrick's character but the story leaves you with a lot of questions. In any event I still loved the story. It kept my attention and I can't wait to read the second book.
Denae
Apr 16, 2012 Denae rated it liked it
They say this is a stand alone book that happens to be a series...wow are they wrong. I feel like I just get into the book and its over. There are so many unanswered questions. Guess I have to read on!
  • Stolen (Bitten #2)
  • Vampire Apocalypse: A World Torn Asunder
  • Fanged Love (The Vampire from Hell, #0.5)
  • Cameron's Law (Adelheid, #1)
  • One Last Bite
  • Hunter's Choice (The Hunters)
  • Discovery of Death (Blood of My World, #1)
  • Fury (Otherkin, #1)
  • Vampire Assassin (Jane #1)
  • Sunrise at Sunset
  • Fangs for Nothing (Vampire Hunting and Other Foolish Endeavors, #1)
  • Rise of the Demons (Oceans of Red #1)
  • Thirst (Ava Delaney, #1)
  • Haunted Moon (Moon Coven, #0.5)
  • Vampire Love Story Boxed Set (Five Novels)
  • The Vampire's Warden (Undead in Brown County, #1)
  • My Lady Vampire - Book One (My Lady Vampire, #1)
  • Dead Drop: A Lawson Vampire Bonus Story
Amy Cross writes novels and short stories in a number of genres, mainly horror, paranormal and fantasy. Books include The Farm, Annie's Room, The Island, Eli's Town and Asylum.
More about Amy Cross...

Dark Season (8 books)
  • Sentinel (Dark Season #2)
  • Army of Wolves (Dark Season #3)
  • The Civil Dead (Dark Season #4)
  • The Life, Death, Life, Life and Death of Martin Keller (Dark Season #5)
  • Gothos (Dark Season VI)
  • Testament (Dark Season VII)
  • Dead End