The Making of the Great Communicator: Ronald Reagan's Transformation from Actor to Governor

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  10 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Here is the untold story of how, over three days, two behavioral scientists helped Ronald Reagan win the California governorship, turning the Gipper into the Great Communicator.
Published May 7th 2013 by Lyons Press (first published September 4th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Making of the Great Communicator, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Making of the Great Communicator

Jody
I received this book for free from goodreads giveaways.

I didn't sign up to get this particular book so I believe there was a mix-up at the publisher's mailing house. I am glad. I was born in '74 and there were a couple of presidents before Reagan in my lifetime but for some reason Reagan is the first president I remember. There was a lot going on in that time and from my memory (notice I am judging by my memory and not by the history books) Reagan handled things quite well. I was a young man and...more
Cynthia
I switched party affiliations in 1979 so I could vote for Regan in the primary, and then voted for him in the subsequent national election. To this day, he is the only president I have voted for that was worth my vote. Unfortunately.

As far as this book is concerned, it was a trip down memory lane reading all the politicians' names and the events of the 60s. My family had just moved from Los Angeles to Sacramento in 1962 and I remember when Regan was elected govenor. They were pretty "heady" time...more
Robert Kradoska
a lesson in politics
Jenn S.
A well written captivating tale of the steps taken to bring an unknown into greatness. For anyone who remembers Reagan this is a quick insight into those early years without anything to distract us from a cherished individual. Certainly something I'd want on my bookshelf.

Free advance copy provided through goodreads First Reads. Many thanks for the privilege to read this book.
Rob Mcniff
This was an excellent book. If you are Reagan fan then this book is right up your alley. It gives wonderful insight on what started the greatest president on his path into politics. Its full of information but not boring. It makes you want to turn the page and see whats next.
Seth Weathers
Seth Weathers marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Tarin Lawrence
Tarin Lawrence marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2013
Dan
Dan added it
Jul 09, 2013
Claire G
Claire G marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2013
Cristi
Cristi marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2013
Squire
Squire marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2013
Amanda Z
Amanda Z marked it as to-read
Lynda
Lynda marked it as to-read
Gabby
Gabby marked it as to-read
Carey Rehm
Carey Rehm marked it as to-read
Kylie Tagg
Kylie Tagg marked it as to-read
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
Steven Mccuan
Steven Mccuan marked it as to-read
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Katie Brown
Katie Brown marked it as to-read
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Barbara Carroll
Barbara Carroll marked it as to-read
Lola Kelley
Lola Kelley marked it as to-read
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
Darren Mitton
Darren Mitton marked it as to-read