Start by marking “The Making of the Great Communicator: Ronald Reagan's Transformation from Actor to Governor” as Want to Read:

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  21 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Here is the untold story of how, over three days, two behavioral scientists helped Ronald Reagan win the California governorship, turning the Gipper into the Great Communicator.
Published May 7th 2013 by Lyons Press (first published September 4th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Making of the Great Communicator, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Making of the Great Communicator

Jody
Apr 15, 2013 Jody rated it really liked it
I received this book for free from goodreads giveaways.

I didn't sign up to get this particular book so I believe there was a mix-up at the publisher's mailing house. I am glad. I was born in '74 and there were a couple of presidents before Reagan in my lifetime but for some reason Reagan is the first president I remember. There was a lot going on in that time and from my memory (notice I am judging by my memory and not by the history books) Reagan handled things quite well. I was a young man and
Cynthia
Jun 28, 2013 Cynthia rated it really liked it
I switched party affiliations in 1979 so I could vote for Regan in the primary, and then voted for him in the subsequent national election. To this day, he is the only president I have voted for that was worth my vote. Unfortunately.

As far as this book is concerned, it was a trip down memory lane reading all the politicians' names and the events of the 60s. My family had just moved from Los Angeles to Sacramento in 1962 and I remember when Regan was elected govenor. They were pretty "heady" time
Robert Kradoska
Mar 21, 2014 Robert Kradoska rated it liked it
a lesson in politics
Jenn S.
Apr 09, 2013 Jenn S. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
A well written captivating tale of the steps taken to bring an unknown into greatness. For anyone who remembers Reagan this is a quick insight into those early years without anything to distract us from a cherished individual. Certainly something I'd want on my bookshelf.

Free advance copy provided through goodreads First Reads. Many thanks for the privilege to read this book.
Rob Mcniff
Apr 22, 2013 Rob Mcniff rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent book. If you are Reagan fan then this book is right up your alley. It gives wonderful insight on what started the greatest president on his path into politics. Its full of information but not boring. It makes you want to turn the page and see whats next.
Emily Olivia
Mar 17, 2014 Emily Olivia rated it liked it
Shelves:
Want to read!
John
John marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Carl Rivera
Carl Rivera is currently reading it
Jan 27, 2016
Scott
Scott added it
Jan 18, 2016
Valentini
Valentini rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2016
Blayney Morgan
Blayney Morgan rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Davis Rowell
Davis Rowell marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2015
Raja
Raja marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Emily Kinkead
Emily Kinkead marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015
Anne Park
Anne Park marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Logan Cranor
Logan Cranor is currently reading it
Sep 07, 2015
Robb Brewer
Robb Brewer marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Eric J Smith
Eric J Smith rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2015
cheryl
cheryl marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Barbara White
Barbara White marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
mary ellen buzzelli
mary ellen buzzelli is currently reading it
Jun 12, 2015
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Drfleck
Drfleck marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Jon
Jon marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2015
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Rosemarie
Rosemarie rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Hit Me!: Fighting the Las Vegas Mob by the Numbers
  • Strong Boy: The Life and Times of John L. Sullivan, America's First Sports Hero
  • City of Rivals: Restoring the Glorious Mess of American Democracy
  • Last Stand: Ted Turner's Quest to Save a Troubled Planet
  • Conspiracy of One: Tyler Kent's Secret Plot against FDR, Churchill, and the Allied War Effort
  • Flaws in the Ice: In Search of Douglas Mawson
  • American Pain: How a Young Felon and His Ring of Doctors Unleashed America's Deadliest Drug Epidemic
  • Moonshine Nation: The Art of Creating Cornbread in a Bottle
  • John Muir and the Ice That Started a Fire: How a Visionary and the Glaciers of Alaska Changed America
  • Babe Ruth's Called Shot: The Myth and Mystery of Baseball's Greatest Home Run
  • The Double-Cross System The Incredible True Story of How Nazi Spies Were Turned into Double Agents
  • The Strange Case of the Mad Professor: A True Tale of Endangered Species, Illegal Drugs, and Attempted Murder
  • Live at the Fillmore East and West: Getting Backstage and Personal with Rock's Greatest Legends
  • Where Were You? America Remembers the JFK Assassination
  • The Opening Kickoff: The Tumultuous Birth of a Football Nation
  • Footprints in New York: Tracing the Lives of Four Centuries of New Yorkers
  • The Devil's Causeway: The True Story of America's First Prisoners of War in the Philippines, and the Heroic Expedition Sent to Their Rescue
  • A Personal Message From God