Start by marking “The Making of the Great Communicator: Ronald Reagan's Transformation from Actor to Governor” as Want to Read:

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  12 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Here is the untold story of how, over three days, two behavioral scientists helped Ronald Reagan win the California governorship, turning the Gipper into the Great Communicator.
Published May 7th 2013 by Lyons Press (first published September 4th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Making of the Great Communicator, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Making of the Great Communicator

Jody
I received this book for free from goodreads giveaways.

I didn't sign up to get this particular book so I believe there was a mix-up at the publisher's mailing house. I am glad. I was born in '74 and there were a couple of presidents before Reagan in my lifetime but for some reason Reagan is the first president I remember. There was a lot going on in that time and from my memory (notice I am judging by my memory and not by the history books) Reagan handled things quite well. I was a young man and
Cynthia
I switched party affiliations in 1979 so I could vote for Regan in the primary, and then voted for him in the subsequent national election. To this day, he is the only president I have voted for that was worth my vote. Unfortunately.

As far as this book is concerned, it was a trip down memory lane reading all the politicians' names and the events of the 60s. My family had just moved from Los Angeles to Sacramento in 1962 and I remember when Regan was elected govenor. They were pretty "heady" time
Robert Kradoska
a lesson in politics
Jenn S.
A well written captivating tale of the steps taken to bring an unknown into greatness. For anyone who remembers Reagan this is a quick insight into those early years without anything to distract us from a cherished individual. Certainly something I'd want on my bookshelf.

Free advance copy provided through goodreads First Reads. Many thanks for the privilege to read this book.
Rob Mcniff
This was an excellent book. If you are Reagan fan then this book is right up your alley. It gives wonderful insight on what started the greatest president on his path into politics. Its full of information but not boring. It makes you want to turn the page and see whats next.
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Rosemarie
Rosemarie is currently reading it
Feb 23, 2015
Derek Adelman
Derek Adelman marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Steven Harbin
Steven Harbin marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Clare
Clare marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Venkatasubramanian
Venkatasubramanian marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Lala
Lala marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Terry Anderson
Terry Anderson marked it as to-read
Bamma
Bamma marked it as to-read
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
David
David marked it as to-read
Kristine Bratcher
Kristine Bratcher marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Seth Weathers
Seth Weathers marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Tarin Lawrence
Tarin Lawrence marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2013
Dan
Dan added it
Jul 09, 2013
Claire G
Claire G marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2013
Cristi
Cristi marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2013
  • Hit Me!: Fighting the Las Vegas Mob by the Numbers
  • City of Rivals: Restoring the Glorious Mess of American Democracy
  • Last Stand: Ted Turner's Quest to Save a Troubled Planet
  • Conspiracy of One: Tyler Kent's Secret Plot against FDR, Churchill, and the Allied War Effort
  • The Strange Case of the Mad Professor: A True Tale of Endangered Species, Illegal Drugs, and Attempted Murder
  • The Double-Cross System The Incredible True Story of How Nazi Spies Were Turned into Double Agents
  • John Muir and the Ice That Started a Fire: How a Visionary and the Glaciers of Alaska Changed America
  • Moonshine Nation: The Art of Creating Cornbread in a Bottle
  • The Kennedy Wives: Triumph and Tragedy in America's Most Public Family
  • Live at the Fillmore East and West: Getting Backstage and Personal with Rock's Greatest Legends
  • Babe Ruth's Called Shot: The Myth and Mystery of Baseball's Greatest Home Run
  • Flaws in the Ice: In Search of Douglas Mawson
  • Flight 93: The Story, the Aftermath, and the Legacy of American Courage on 9/11
  • Footprints in New York: Tracing the Lives of Four Centuries of New Yorkers