Start by marking “A House in Bali” as Want to Read:
A House in Bali

A House in Bali

This is a book about passion, obsession and discovery in an amazing land, but also about the voyage of a highly talented composer and writer.

A House in Bali remains one of the most remarkable books ever written about the fabled island of Bali. This classic book tells the story of Balinese culture through a history of Balinese music.

First published in 1947, it tells the sto
Published May 15th 2000 by Periplus Editions (HK) ltd. (first published 1946)

To ask other readers questions about A House in Bali, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A House in Bali

Frank
Mar 29, 2010 Frank rated it really liked it
Life in Bali when Kuta and Ubud were a tiny villages and Den Pasar was a small town.

The author never mentions in the book that he was married at the time at that his then-wife bankrolled his grand lifestyle--paying for homes, gamelans, festivals, etc.
Sam
Nov 08, 2012 Sam rated it really liked it
Shelves: music, bali
I liked A House in Bali so well that I feel aimless having finished it. It's exactly what I wanted from a book: entertainment, an easy read, and something to address my interest in Balinese music. McPhee's descriptive talent is very satisfying. Will recommend it to members of my local gamelan club.
Gordon Mackenzie
Jun 09, 2008 Gordon Mackenzie rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-book
I read this book while commuting on the local BART train...I am instantly transported away to a lost in time colonial Bali of the early 1930's with the sounds of the gamelan and imagery of the legong dancers.

It makes me pine for a chance to visit Bali now.
Charisse
Dec 05, 2011 Charisse rated it it was amazing
Lyrical prose, work of genius. Composer Colin McPhee, enchanted by Bali, writes about the decade he spent studying its music and culture, and enjoying the exotic beauty of the island. A must-read.
Richard
May 11, 2012 Richard rated it it was amazing
Much more accessible than his big academic book on Balinese music, this is an intimate memoir of his years in Bali back when it seemed much more exotic and far away. A wonderful classic of travel literature. And a portrait of the island at a time when it was much more unspoiled by icky western influences.
Katie
Mar 02, 2008 Katie rated it liked it
Shelves: travel
Interesting if you are into music and foreign cultures. Through his fascination with music, the author reveals a lot about life in Bali in the 1930s. I enjoyed especially since I'll be visiting Bali ,again, for the second time, in a month or so. It really is a unique and beautiful place, and many of the things that made it special nearly a century ago remain today (albeit a bit modernized).
Edward A.
Nov 06, 2012 Edward A. rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel
Enchanting look at a bygone Bali. McPhee was clearly in love with the place, and focused on the images and memories of that love.
Melina Watts
Mar 23, 2017 Melina Watts rated it it was amazing
The author is a composer. At a party, he hears a recording of the gamelan in the 1920s in NYC and is so smitten that, after borrowing the record for a weekend, he returns the album and then immediately boards a ship to move to Bali to learn the music.

From the moment he describes an Indonesian variation on a slushy as "one of the hilariously colored ices of the tropics" i was helplessly in love with his narrative.

For a long time this was out of print and the father of my first child earned huge
Janelle
Apr 01, 2016 Janelle rated it really liked it
I read this because I'm going to Bali to perform with a gamelan this summer, and this ethnography is on every bibliography about Bali.

McPhee describes his environment beautifully. Here is an enchanting moment from very early in the book:
...a new sound rose in the sky, high up, shrill and tremulous, sweeter than anything I had heard that day. I looked out. A block of pigeons circled in the last rays of the sun. The sound seemed to follow them, and I could not think what it was. I called the boy,
Nelson Minar
Jan 01, 2014 Nelson Minar rated it really liked it
A lovely memoir of a Canadian's few years residence in Bali, a perfect read for my own trip to Bali trying to learn a little something about the culture and music. The author's ethnography and music background makes his observations unusually insightful. But the book remains a personal and readable account, not academically dry. So (for instance) there are several lovely expositions on how to properly build a Balinese house, but they're told in terms of his friendships and quarrels with various ...more
C
Apr 12, 2016 C rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, travel
I came across some stunning photos taken by this author in a museum in Ubud, so I decided to buy his book. I'm really enjoying it, the prose is the perfect balance of lyricism and readability, the descriptions of Bali before mass tourism (which, though so different from today's Bali, can still be glimpsed if you look carefully) are fascinating, and McPhee's passion for Balinese music is contagious.
I don't think you need be familiar with Balinese culture to understand this book (when it was publi
Nina
Sep 25, 2009 Nina rated it liked it
A musician travels to Bali to study that haunting but bright music and stays to build a house there. I enjoyed reading this while in Bali. It's a quiet book and funny in parts, having traveled there and having seen the personalities. At least in the early part of the 1900's, the Balinese were very superstitious (leyaks haunting the houses at nights, circling in the fields holding circles of lights). However, the author also expressed similar frustrations as I experienced while traveling there.
Norma
Dec 22, 2014 Norma rated it liked it
Excellent book to read if visiting Bali and have an interested in gamelan. Perfect way to also experience life and passion of the author even those his stay and contact not more than a decade. It had an impact on outside works on this very unusual music. Marvelous intro book for a visit to Bali also.
Mike Barnett
Mar 11, 2016 Mike Barnett rated it liked it
An interesting read about being in Bali way back before there were many westerners on it. I found it mostly interesting because by modern standards the book hides at least as much as it reveals: you wouldn't know from the book that he was there with his wife and that his friends included other western anthropologists.
Stacy Romillah
Feb 10, 2015 Stacy Romillah rated it really liked it
I loved the multi-sensory descriptions and unique ways of perceiving the world.
Mia Ferreira
Mar 15, 2013 Mia Ferreira rated it liked it
Another easy read introducing Balinese history and culture. Not as relatable as Fragrant rice but better written.
Mona Bomgaars
A book written in the 1940's about the music and dance of Bali in the 1930s by an American musicologist. A bit esoteric but hopefully a good preparation for the trip.
Karen L
Dec 26, 2011 Karen L rated it it was ok
Definitely encouraged me to learn more about the gamelan and appreciate how music and dance is central to Balinese history. Choppy writing.
Arun
Arun rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2012
James Lamm
James Lamm rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2016
Anne
Anne rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2013
lorraine
lorraine rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2016
Forrest
Forrest rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2008
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2014
David Carpenter
David Carpenter rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2014
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2013
Deborah
Deborah rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2007
  • A Dragon Apparent: Travels in Cambodia, Laos & Vietnam
  • A Tale from Bali
  • Ring of Fire: An Indonesia Odyssey
  • Fragrant Rice: My Continuing Love Affair with Bali [Includes 115 Recipes]
  • Six Months in the Sandwich Islands: Among Hawaii's Palm Groves, Coral Reefs and Volcanoes
  • Brazilian Adventure
  • A House in Corfu
  • A Tuscan Childhood
  • Old Glory: A Voyage Down the Mississippi
  • Houseboat on the Seine: A Memoir
  • The River's Tale: A Year on the Mekong
  • A Winter in Arabia
  • Not a Hazardous Sport
  • Their Heads are Green and Their Hands are Blue: Scenes from the Non-Christian World
  • Chasing the Sea: Lost Among the Ghosts of Empire in Central Asia