Start by marking “The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Stories ” as Want to Read:
The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Stories

The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Stories

Stories of lost love, lost ways...and lost minds! Gris Grimly's mysterious, morbid, macabre illustrations capture four Poe classics with an unmatchable ghoulish charm. A companion to Edgar Allan Poe's Tales of Mystery and Madness, this second installment of illustrated Poe includes the perennial favorite The Tell-Tale Heart as well as The System of Dr. Tarr and Professor F ...more
Published August 30th 2011 by Turtleback Books (first published 1843)

To ask other readers questions about The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Stories

Ivana de Bona
It was quite good.
David
Jan 06, 2015 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: vengeful wine connoisseurs, maniacs, animal abusers
This collection had three tales: The Telltale Heart, The Cask of Amontillado, and The Black Cat.

If you are unfamiliar with these classics, you should really read them. They are old-school horror, served chilled.

They're all creepy as hell - Poe depicted narrators going completely mad better than just about anyone else, including florid ol' Lovecraft. This would be fine listening on a dark Halloween night.
Kátia Cristina
Aug 02, 2015 Kátia Cristina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As the last story, mesmeric! When you think you'll not be surprised with Edgar Allan Poe anymore you just come across something like this book.
Hojaplateada
Dec 08, 2014 Hojaplateada rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
5 buenos cuentos de Poe, muy buenas ilustraciones y linda edición de Pictus
Alcira Tatis
Oct 27, 2016 Alcira Tatis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Siempre es agradable volver a leer a Poe
Carly
Mar 17, 2017 Carly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
ive given this boom five stars out of horror. mind you one should expect to be scared when reading any of edgar allan poes stories. one of the worlds greatest mysteries - how poe lived inside his mind (the state of his mind)
Jerrod Carter
Feb 02, 2015 Jerrod Carter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't recall reading any of these three shorts before, although I find it hard to believe I didn't when I was in high school. I remember The Raven, but not any of these three.

In the first, The Tell-Tale Heart, I was glad to become acquainted with a work I've heard or seen referenced many times. He does quite a great job of depicting insanity and how that insane person might appears so sane to himself. I think this was my favorite of the three.

The second one was The Cask of Amontillado, which w
Gretchen
I am a big fan of Poe and Grimly but not so much together. Grimly's illustrations are wonderful but have a comic tone that lightens the macabre, dark atmosphere that is Poe's literary trademark. Maybe that was the intention: to make some of his stories less grim than they actually are for younger readers (although none of the stories here are among his most disturbing, with the possible exception of the tell-tale heart). I prefer the pairing of Grimly's art with Irving's The Legend of Sleepy Hol ...more
Jessie
Dec 07, 2012 Jessie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: usa
Edgar Allan Poe is a brilliant writer but out of the four stories in this book, there were only two that I really liked. Those two were The Tell-Tale Heart and The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar. The other two stories were also good but I got a bit bored while reading them, especially The System of Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether. The Oblong Box was good but predictable.
Cess
Jul 10, 2015 Cess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really really really enjoyed the illustrations in this book. I felt that when the story got confusing, they helped enough for me to go along and understand what was being said. One of the short stories was very confusing but I got through it. (: EAP is a horrendous genius and his horror short stories are frightening yet amazing. He never seems to disappoint.
I.M. Velarde
Nov 05, 2015 I.M. Velarde rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-d
Cuentos cortos pero llenos de suspenso que te matienen al borde de la desesperación que vive cada personaje.

Sin duda Poe es un gran escritor que revoluciono la literatura, es un libro adictivo que sin duda hay que leer aunque sea una vez en la vida.
;-)
Mallory (The Local Muse)
Wow. I totally forgot how utterly messed up Poe was. These stories were so creepy. I love Grimly's illustrations though. His style accompanies Poe and other creepy pieces so well. I highly recommend checking out his art if you haven't already.
Justine
I haven't read very much by Poe. I only know The Raven and Tell Tale Heart because of The Simpsons lol. But I did enjoy these stories but they were definitely messed up. I really enjoyed the artwork. I think if you are a fan of Poe this would be a good read but if you aren't maybe not.
Richard F. Schiller
Apr 13, 2014 Richard F. Schiller rated it really liked it
Almost a short story version of Crime and Punishment . Guy kills someone for seemingly no purpose (does not get money, no revenge or lust) and eventually, the pain of secrecy becomes worse than the pain of jail.
Nico
Apr 12, 2015 Nico rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Muy buena combinación de relatos e ilustraciones :)
Jessica Wilhoite
May 02, 2012 Jessica Wilhoite rated it liked it
Shelves: classics
Interesting...very interesting. I really like the Tell-Tale Heart and the Oblong Box, but the other two stories were a little weird.
Milagros Lopez
May 02, 2015 Milagros Lopez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excelente. Algunos los había leído cuando era mas chica pero no los había apreciado mucho o no los había entendido. Siempre es una bueno opción volver a leer.
Charles
Dec 26, 2008 Charles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
An older collection of Poe's stories. Of course they are fantastic.
Guillermo
Guillermo rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2013
Giancarlo
Giancarlo rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2017
Marti Gatto
Marti Gatto rated it it was ok
Jan 07, 2017
Daniel Collazos
Daniel Collazos rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2016
BiblioMind
BiblioMind rated it it was ok
Sep 27, 2015
Isthar Vega
Isthar Vega rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2016
Nirys
Nirys rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2011
Steve Schlutow
Steve Schlutow rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2011
Lisandro
Lisandro rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2012
Olfir Guzmán
Olfir Guzmán rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2016
Florencia
Florencia rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2014
Alfredo Cazares ruiz
Alfredo Cazares ruiz rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Apex Book of World SF (Apex Book of World SF #1)
  • The Best Horror of the Year Volume Five
  • Going Interstellar
  • Clockwork Phoenix 5
  • The Further Adventures of The Joker
  • War of the Worlds: Global Dispatches
  • The Berserker Wars (Berserker)
  • The Other Half of the Sky
  • The American Patriot's Almanac
  • Moon Dance
  • The Corn Maiden and Other Nightmares
  • Thank God It's Monday!: How to Create a Workplace You and Your Customers Love
  • Stone Maiden
  • The Solution To Social Anxiety: Break Free From The Shyness That Holds You Back
More about Edgar Allan Poe...