Start by marking “Jazz Baby” as Want to Read:
Jazz Baby

Jazz Baby

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  422 ratings  ·  110 reviews
With a simple clap of hands, an itty-bitty beboppin' baby gets his whole family singing and dancing. Sister's hands snap. Granny sings scat. Uncle soft-shoes--and Baby keeps the groove. Things start to wind down when Mama and Daddy sing blues so sweet. Now a perfectly drowsy baby sleeps deep, deep, deep.

Lisa Wheeler and R. Gregory Christie pair up for a celebration of musi
Published November 1st 2007 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Jazz Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jazz Baby

Gundula
Dec 25, 2014 Gundula rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young music or jazz fans
A swinging, jazzy and rhythmically poetic bedtime story for younger children (especially young music, or more specifically, young jazz music enthusiasts), I quite enjoyed both the text and the illustrations of Jazz Baby, written by Lisa Wheeler, with illustrations by R. Gregory Christie. The fun and rhythmically engaging combination of words and images display a wonderful energy, flow and cadence, and will have children and adults alike desiring to dance, to sing, to "jazz-it-up." There is not m ...more
Kathryn
Jun 16, 2011 Kathryn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kathryn by: Gundula
I really enjoyed the text here; it's a rhythmic ode to jazz and I thought it was just adorable how the whole family is involved in making the sweet, sassy music--right down to that cute jazz baby! Unfortunately, the illustrations really were not my cup of tea and so this lessened my enjoyment of the book as a whole but I definitely recommend it to those interested in books about music (jazz especially) and imagine that some people will love the illustrations, too.
Becky

Wheeler, Lisa. 2007. Jazz Baby. Illustrated by R. Gregory Christie.

I read and fell in love with this one completely. I didn't only read it five or six times in a row. I read it aloud that many times. Sure, it's fun to read aloud to someone. But I was by myself. But I just couldn't get over how wonderful the words sounded. That doesn't always happen with picture books--even good picture books. Rhythm and sound can be tricky. And in my opinion, Jazz Baby is perfection. Jazz Baby is all about a fam
Tasha
Jazz Baby is awake in his crib when the rhythms and music start and he claps along with the beat. Then everyone joins in making their own signature sounds and dancing in different styles. This musical picture book has plenty of opportunities for children to hum, sing and move along with the story. The text is pure rhythm and rhyme where you can feel your feet tapping and your body swaying along. It is a joy to read aloud and will be a joy to listen to as well.

The illustrations by Christie are al
Dolly
Jun 11, 2014 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Filled with fun onomatopoeia and a rhythmic, rhyming, flowing narrative, this is a fun book to read aloud with children of all ages. The narrative is short and entertaining and the characters are humorous. We liked seeing all of the family members singing and dancing and playing with the baby. Overall, it's an entertaining book and we enjoyed reading it together.
Boni
Short and snappy, perfectly rhymed. And your kids will sing jazzy-scat for weeks after hearing it! Fun, fun book.
Em Ooh
Jazz Baby is a wonderful read aloud book for toddlers or young readers. A great introduction to the rhythms of jazz music using alliteration and onomatopoeias like “bouncin’ baby boogies” and “rum-tum-tum” to name a few. Jazz Baby is not only a rhythmic introduction but a bedtime story too! As the book progresses the tempo begins to slow as the baby gets drowsy and finally falls asleep. Jazz Baby and its pace not only represent jazz music, but also the life of a toddler with all that there is to ...more
Josephine
I'm always on the lookout for new picture books to use during my summer Songwriting for Kids workshops, and this year I was absolutely elated to come across Lisa Wheeler's Jazz Baby.

Jazz Baby grooves and swings like nobody's business. The rhythms are infectious. The text is filled with bounce and joy. The illustrations of Jazz Baby and his family, hip-hopping and be-bopping around the house practically dance themselves off the page.

The kids in my class had a blast repeating Jazz Baby's parts ("S
:Donna Marie
JAZZ BABY When I heard this book recommended, I had no idea what it was about. From the first page on, the "jazzy" rhyme had me smiling and wanting to tap my foot the whole way through.

With simplicity and musicality, this lively, joyful book celebrates singing, dancing and playing music in a surprisingly "moving" way. I highly recommend this book when you're looking for something truly uplifting :D
Erica Nicol
A great introduction to jazz for very young readers, the rhythm and rhyme and repetition of the text are marvelous and almost entrancing. The portrayal of a large family, coming together to make music, dance, and (eventually) get Jazz Baby to go to sleep, is both fun and heart-warming, and the bright illustrations suit the text perfectly.

After we checked this out from the library, Dot wanted to read it every night, and would clap along with Jazz Baby. It is one of the first books where she memo
Brianna Lanier
This book is about all the bops, and beeps, of Jazz.
I really liked this book. The tune goes perfectly with "Rock around the Clock". I wish the author had let us know that, instead of having to figure it out on our own.
An activity I would do: I would let the students create their own instruments to play while we sing/scat this song in class.
Connie
Very short, simple book. Not many words per spread, which makes it suited for even little-little ones.

I love how the text is largely done with sound words (there's a word for that, but I can't for the life of me remember how to spell it!) or scat singing. Very bouncy, very great, wonderful way to teach basic wordplay for little ones.

I'm not a huge fan of the illustrations. They're not ill-suited for the text, they just aren't a style I happen to like. What you see on the cover is pretty much wha
Michael Perez
I’ve read a pile of children’s books within the last month and a half, and out of that heavy stack of good reads, Lisa Wheeler’s Jazz Baby was hands down the most memorable and fun book I’ve read. This rhythmic tale of a baby and his musical family and friends makes the reader and especially the listener want to get up and dance throughout the book. Along with the entertaining rhythm and rhyme, there are wonderful illustrations that flow with the jazzy feel. I believe this harmonious story is pe ...more
Mrs. Knott
2008 Geisel Honor award
Toe tappin', hands clappin', reading goin' on here! Great to see the music that has been home to well-known African-American players being spotlighted in this book.
Shaquita
Jazz Baby is a must-read and a must-have. This book is useful for whining down even the most energetic child for naptime or bedtime. I love the pictures in this book. This book can also be used for music and movement. This book is full of sound and movement, such as clap-clap and toot-toot, that children will love imitating. Children can also learn opposites like high and low and up and down.

Learning Experience: Children will imitate different sounds, such as the rum-tum of the drum or strum-str
The amount of motion that R. Gregory Christie gets into his illustrations for Lisa Wheeler's swinging text is just amazing. I can see this as an animated short in my head just from the illustrations on the page. I'd love to hear the text put to music as well. The sounds included in the text and repetetive sentence structure make this great for both read-alouds and beginning readers. The illustrations, done in gouache, include a variety of skin tones and lots of bright colors with simple lines. C ...more
Crystal
This will be a fabulous read aloud with all of the jazz sounds and the rhythm. I am excited to get it and share it with my students.
Sweet and singsongy. Reminds me of Chicka Chicka Boom Boom - a book meant to be read with a rhythm and a tapping foot.
Michelle Neuwirth Gray
This will definitely be a fun read in my music themed storytime
Ame
Awesome! Needs a CD to go with it.
Jayna
Ages 0 - 3

A story set in rhyme, the baby and family sing their way through the day. This story uses a lot of music noises such as "bop bop bop" and "rum tum tum" with the baby's favorite line being "go man go."

This is a great book for parents and children to read together as it is simple with a lot of repetition. In story time the librarian could sing the book and the children could sing out the repeats. This incorporates the early literacy practice of sing. Could be used for a music or rhyme th
Melissa
Rhythm galore!
Buxmont Uu
CC 15
Ronald La niear
I like this because VP void really repeat the phrases, and I could readily identify each word to her.
Mrs.
I really like Lisa Wheelers book thought, this one seems to have a voice that is just not mine for a read aloud or even a silent reading. Illustrations are done in gouache style seemed to be a bit awkward for me as well. I was very interested in the concept behind the story and the African American culture but, I was personally not able to connect with this book very well. I am not sure many of my readers will connect either. Geisel 2008 Honor book
Ashley
I was first drawn to this book because of its bold illustrations. Although this book has a picture book format, it is great for beginning readers to practice reading different sounds. Throughout "Jazz Baby," each member of the family adds their own sound from clap-clap-clap to laa-laa-loo which children will enjoy saying. It is a book, they are sure to want to read (and sing) over and over again!
Crossingbird
Age range:0-3
Literacy skill: Phonological awareness

This book is full of great sounds and chances for adults to help their babies and toddlers participate in the story telling. This would be a fun one for different voices and rhythms to get young ones singing along.
Morgan Davis
This is a very upbeat book about family and rhythm. It talks about the very simple sounds that little ears hear and the noises that families make on a daily basis. It's a great book for beginner readers because of the repeating of the same words over and over. This book makes you want to get up and dance with the sounds you hear when reading.
Jessicca
A family is skilled at making different Jazz sounds and the baby joins in with his own tune for each set. The illustrations are very colorful with a lot of curvy lines, which makes the characters look like they never stop moving. The words rhyme and are made up mostly of noises, which would make this book fun for a read aloud.
Phuong Dao
This book is about a little baby and his family dancing to the music. The author use adjective in this words to describe how they would jazz such words as clap clap, tap tap, and rum tum rum. This is a good book to teach children rythym because when I read this book I can literally hear the sound in my head
  • Before John Was a Jazz Giant: A Song of John Coltrane
  • Piano Starts Here: The Young Art Tatum
  • The Croaky Pokey!
  • What a Wonderful World
  • Punk Farm
  • Baby Danced the Polka (ALA Notable Children's Books. Younger Readers (Awards))
  • Flip, Flap, Fly!: A Book for Babies Everywhere
  • A Splendid Friend, Indeed
  • The Baby Goes Beep
  • Hello, Day!
  • Dancing Feet!
  • Trashy Town
Bubble Gum, Bubble Gum Porcupining: A Prickly Love Story Ugly Pie Boogie Knights Dino-Hockey