Start by marking “Jazz Baby” as Want to Read:

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  549 Ratings  ·  130 Reviews
With a simple clap of hands, an itty-bitty beboppin' baby gets his whole family singing and dancing. Sister's hands snap. Granny sings scat. Uncle soft-shoes--and Baby keeps the groove. Things start to wind down when Mama and Daddy sing blues so sweet. Now a perfectly drowsy baby sleeps deep, deep, deep.

Lisa Wheeler and R. Gregory Christie pair up for a celebration of musi
Published November 1st 2007 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Jazz Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jazz Baby

Manybooks
Feb 21, 2016 Manybooks rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: young music or jazz fans
A swinging, jazzy and rhythmically poetic bedtime story for younger children (especially young music, or more specifically, young jazz music enthusiasts), I quite enjoyed both the text and the illustrations of Jazz Baby, written by Lisa Wheeler, with illustrations by R. Gregory Christie. The fun and rhythmically engaging combination of words and images display a wonderful energy, flow and cadence, and will have children and adults alike desiring to dance, to sing, to "jazz-it-up." There is not m ...more
Kathryn
Jun 16, 2011 Kathryn rated it liked it
Recommended to Kathryn by: Gundula
I really enjoyed the text here; it's a rhythmic ode to jazz and I thought it was just adorable how the whole family is involved in making the sweet, sassy music--right down to that cute jazz baby! Unfortunately, the illustrations really were not my cup of tea and so this lessened my enjoyment of the book as a whole but I definitely recommend it to those interested in books about music (jazz especially) and imagine that some people will love the illustrations, too.
Becky
Feb 12, 2009 Becky rated it it was amazing

Wheeler, Lisa. 2007. Jazz Baby. Illustrated by R. Gregory Christie.

I read and fell in love with this one completely. I didn't only read it five or six times in a row. I read it aloud that many times. Sure, it's fun to read aloud to someone. But I was by myself. But I just couldn't get over how wonderful the words sounded. That doesn't always happen with picture books--even good picture books. Rhythm and sound can be tricky. And in my opinion, Jazz Baby is perfection. Jazz Baby is all about a fam
Tasha
Feb 21, 2008 Tasha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Jazz Baby is awake in his crib when the rhythms and music start and he claps along with the beat. Then everyone joins in making their own signature sounds and dancing in different styles. This musical picture book has plenty of opportunities for children to hum, sing and move along with the story. The text is pure rhythm and rhyme where you can feel your feet tapping and your body swaying along. It is a joy to read aloud and will be a joy to listen to as well.

The illustrations by Christie are al
Haji
May 18, 2015 Haji rated it it was amazing
I think this is a great book for early childhood students ages 2-5. This book is about a family that perhaps loves jazz and the whole family sings and dances throughout a portion of the song and the baby always ends with " go man go"They are all singing to put the baby to sleep. The book includes mom, dad, grandma, brother, grandpa, auntie, and cousins. The authors Lisa wheeler and R. Gregory Christie, did a great job sending a positive message in this book on family working together . It also g ...more
Alayna Pope
Jan 27, 2016 Alayna Pope rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
This is a fun, musical book! It just sings a little song throughout the book, talking about a new baby that's entered the family. I like how it shows a different culture through the characters all being African American. I also like the musical feel to it. Jazz isn't a common genre of music, but it's very catchy. This book shows that every family member was involved in the song and the music, so it has a strong family appeal in it. It rhymes and of course has a catchy rhythm to the whole song. I ...more
Dolly
Jun 11, 2014 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Filled with fun onomatopoeia and a rhythmic, rhyming, flowing narrative, this is a fun book to read aloud with children of all ages. The narrative is short and entertaining and the characters are humorous. We liked seeing all of the family members singing and dancing and playing with the baby. Overall, it's an entertaining book and we enjoyed reading it together.
Boni
Jul 26, 2008 Boni rated it it was amazing
Short and snappy, perfectly rhymed. And your kids will sing jazzy-scat for weeks after hearing it! Fun, fun book.
Em Ooh
Feb 13, 2014 Em Ooh rated it it was amazing
Jazz Baby is a wonderful read aloud book for toddlers or young readers. A great introduction to the rhythms of jazz music using alliteration and onomatopoeias like “bouncin’ baby boogies” and “rum-tum-tum” to name a few. Jazz Baby is not only a rhythmic introduction but a bedtime story too! As the book progresses the tempo begins to slow as the baby gets drowsy and finally falls asleep. Jazz Baby and its pace not only represent jazz music, but also the life of a toddler with all that there is to ...more
jo
May 08, 2016 jo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, music
I'm always on the lookout for new picture books to use during my summer Songwriting for Kids workshops, and this year I was absolutely elated to come across Lisa Wheeler's
Jazz Baby grooves and swings like nobody's business. The rhythms are infectious. The text is filled with bounce and joy. The illustrations of Jazz Baby and his family, hip-hopping and be-bopping around the house practically dance themselves off the page.

The kids in my class had a blast repeating Jazz Baby's parts ("Snap-snap-s
:Donna Marie
JAZZ BABY When I heard this book recommended, I had no idea what it was about. From the first page on, the "jazzy" rhyme had me smiling and wanting to tap my foot the whole way through.

With simplicity and musicality, this lively, joyful book celebrates singing, dancing and playing music in a surprisingly "moving" way. I highly recommend this book when you're looking for something truly uplifting :D
Erica Nicol
Feb 13, 2012 Erica Nicol rated it it was amazing
A great introduction to jazz for very young readers, the rhythm and rhyme and repetition of the text are marvelous and almost entrancing. The portrayal of a large family, coming together to make music, dance, and (eventually) get Jazz Baby to go to sleep, is both fun and heart-warming, and the bright illustrations suit the text perfectly.

After we checked this out from the library, Dot wanted to read it every night, and would clap along with Jazz Baby. It is one of the first books where she memo
Brianna Lanier
Jan 22, 2015 Brianna Lanier rated it liked it
Shelves: lssl3361
This book is about all the bops, and beeps, of Jazz.
I really liked this book. The tune goes perfectly with "Rock around the Clock". I wish the author had let us know that, instead of having to figure it out on our own.
An activity I would do: I would let the students create their own instruments to play while we sing/scat this song in class.
Cara Byrne
Oct 07, 2015 Cara Byrne rated it it was amazing
What a fun, fast picture book about a family singing boisterous jazz music to their newest member. Perfect for young readers, this book contains simple lines and lots of places to introduce a wide variety of sounds to a young reader. My 16-month-old was enamored by the quick paced nature of the book and by Christie's illustrations.
Connie
Jul 20, 2008 Connie rated it really liked it
Very short, simple book. Not many words per spread, which makes it suited for even little-little ones.

I love how the text is largely done with sound words (there's a word for that, but I can't for the life of me remember how to spell it!) or scat singing. Very bouncy, very great, wonderful way to teach basic wordplay for little ones.

I'm not a huge fan of the illustrations. They're not ill-suited for the text, they just aren't a style I happen to like. What you see on the cover is pretty much wha
Meagan
Apr 02, 2015 Meagan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
This book is simple enough to be a board book (there's no plot line), but the rhythm and illustrations are fantastic! I love the different skin tones depicted in the family because I try to find books with diversity for my son, and the inclusion of jazz terms is awesome. We will read this book again and again.
Michael Perez
May 29, 2013 Michael Perez rated it it was amazing
I’ve read a pile of children’s books within the last month and a half, and out of that heavy stack of good reads, Lisa Wheeler’s Jazz Baby was hands down the most memorable and fun book I’ve read. This rhythmic tale of a baby and his musical family and friends makes the reader and especially the listener want to get up and dance throughout the book. Along with the entertaining rhythm and rhyme, there are wonderful illustrations that flow with the jazzy feel. I believe this harmonious story is pe ...more
Michele Knott
2008 Geisel Honor award
Toe tappin', hands clappin', reading goin' on here! Great to see the music that has been home to well-known African-American players being spotlighted in this book.
Theresa
Apr 27, 2016 Theresa rated it liked it
Jazz Baby
by Lisa Wheeler, R. Gregory Christie (Illustrator)

The whole family likes to get in the fun, and Jazz baby adds to the fun. He brings a little Jazz to the Be bop sound and makes new music where ever he is found.
Emily Mckenna
Mar 14, 2015 Emily Mckenna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-selection
With a bouncy baby and a bopping beat, this book will have everyone moving their feet.

This fun book with short words and a steady rhythm is a good choice for the beginning-reader in your home, especially if they love music.
Donan Nealon
Apr 06, 2016 Donan Nealon rated it it was amazing
Love the rhyme scheme in this book. Easy and fun to read out loud. Portrays a multi-generational black family (grandparents, parents, sister, brother and baby.)
Miss Sarah
Feb 23, 2016 Miss Sarah rated it liked it
a baby gets put to bed for the night by the jazz sounds his family makes. Lots of sounds but I'm not sure I could pull it off by having the kids make those sounds.
Jbaccon
Jan 24, 2016 Jbaccon rated it liked it
Oh yeah! Love the rhythm and movement and the language! Excellent one to accompany with simple percussion instruments. Theodor Seuss Geisel honor book. Love this for EY!
Betsy
May 05, 2015 Betsy rated it really liked it
Terrific rhythm and illustrations full of movement. A very fun book to read aloud to young children. (Incidentally, it would also work as an example of onomatopoeia!).
Shaquita
Jazz Baby is a must-read and a must-have. This book is useful for whining down even the most energetic child for naptime or bedtime. I love the pictures in this book. This book can also be used for music and movement. This book is full of sound and movement, such as clap-clap and toot-toot, that children will love imitating. Children can also learn opposites like high and low and up and down.

Learning Experience: Children will imitate different sounds, such as the rum-tum of the drum or strum-str
Aug 20, 2008 Jennifer rated it really liked it
The amount of motion that R. Gregory Christie gets into his illustrations for Lisa Wheeler's swinging text is just amazing. I can see this as an animated short in my head just from the illustrations on the page. I'd love to hear the text put to music as well. The sounds included in the text and repetetive sentence structure make this great for both read-alouds and beginning readers. The illustrations, done in gouache, include a variety of skin tones and lots of bright colors with simple lines. C ...more
Renee
Feb 06, 2016 Renee rated it really liked it
Great for story time theme about: music, babies, families

Good for beginning readers - lots of -at, -ap, word families that show the rhyme
Thomas Kupec
I thought this book was a very up beat energetic book. Each page had a flow to it and an almost rhythmic bounce to it. I would suggest it to anyone looking for a music style book.
Karen
May 06, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it
The text of this picture book is sheer perfection. The illustrations, while energetic and "jazzy", actually distract a bit from the text.
Rebecca
Amazing rhythmic language, sounds, and scats. Great for dancing with baby and full colored pictures for a larger group story time.
  • Charlie Parker Played Be Bop