Start by marking “Head Over Heels: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Head Over Heels: A Novel

Head Over Heels: A Novel

Five unforgettable women. One beloved yoga studio. A million tales to tell.

Lee is a caring yoga teacher who changes lives and inspires friendships. But a year after the breakup of her marriage, she's struggling to raise her twins and make ends meet at her small studio in LA's trendy Silver Lake. The California yoga scene is dominated by celebrity teachers with agents, pub
Published April 24th 2012

To ask other readers questions about Head Over Heels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Head Over Heels

Breathe by Kate BishopTales from the Yoga Studio by Rain MitchellDownward Dog, Upward Fog by Meryl Davids LandauA Killer Retreat by Tracy WeberMurder Strikes a Pose by Tracy Weber
Novels about yoga
11th out of 34 books — 53 voters
Jay Walking by Tracy KrimmerHead Over Heels by Rain MitchellThe Ballroom Class by Lucy DillonDirty Dancing by Gordon VolkeMarried Lovers by Jackie Collins
Fit in Fiction
2nd out of 19 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

Michelle
Apr 28, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: yoga-fiction
I felt like I was reconnecting with old friends as I read "Head Over Heels." I love yoga, which is why I was drawn to "Tales from the Yoga Studio," and I look forward to the third and final installment of this series.

This is a light and easy read, but it's a page turner. It's hard to not read it straight through.

One of the things I find notable is that two of the male romantic interests seem to be perfect, the husband of Imani and the boyfriend of Katherine. Where are these real life men? :) I g
Kayla
Aug 13, 2012 Kayla rated it liked it
Shelves: beach-read
I think I got sucked into this "yogaLit" series because I love yoga and I like the characters. I was hoping the author would move a little deeper into the interactions between the main characters but she continues to skim the surface. Will I read the third book? Yes I will...hope springs eternal:)

Finally, the author is a male, using a pseudonym. I am always suspicious of that.
Emily
Jun 10, 2012 Emily rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Why I read this one, I can't imagine (since I disliked the first in the series so much). I did think that it was a little bit better than the first; there is less about the dysfunctional men and more about the women making better choices. Still, it isn't a book I'd recommend.
Tonie Brown
Apr 26, 2016 Tonie Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun read

I fell in love with the characters, the crazy southern California backdrop, and the spot on yoga references. It's definitely chic lit but fun.
Marja
Nov 20, 2016 Marja rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, fiction, yoga
This continues the journey of women that we met in Tales from the Yoga Studio. Maybe this was a tiny bit better than the first book but it's still shallow and the women don't develop. They just do stuff or stuff happens to them. I guess the author planned to continue with the series but just never did because I found the ending abrupt and unsatisfactory for many of the storylines.

This series really doesn't require much from the reader but it doesn't give much in return either.
Kim
Sep 22, 2016 Kim rated it really liked it
I read this book so fast because a) it was an easy read and b) I got really hooked in! I read this sequel right after reading Tales from the Yoga Studio and I think I might even like this one better! However, I only gave it 4 stars because there was so much build up with the story and all the drama in the characters lives and then it just ended. Almost as if the author ran out of time and had to finish in a hurry or just got bored and decided to finish it up....in Lainey's point of view no less! ...more
Misa Niranon
Feb 01, 2016 Misa Niranon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Mae Yee
Nov 08, 2012 Mae Yee rated it really liked it
A really good book with numerous twists and turns that were able to captivate the reader throughout the book. The descriptions were vivid, plot was interesting, characters were given unique backgrounds that complemented the whole story very well. You can imagine the characters in your head and even if you are not into yoga, you feel the urge to take it up given the detailed descriptions of yoga classes in the story - Very good incorporation of yoga to centre the story around.

One down side of the
Birgit
Oct 28, 2014 Birgit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the sequel of 'Tales from the Yoga Studio', and it is a good sequel! It tells further the story of five friends who do yoga and have to deal with the things of live. First there is Lee. She is the yoga teacher and has her own studio. She's searching for some help, but nobody really pleases her, except for David Todd, but will he abandon his life style as a free yoga teacher to work in the yoga studio of Lee? Then there is her best friend, Katherine, who loves her boyfriend, but has ...more
LadyHeather
I actually feel like this could be a nice chick flick movie or romantic comedy with some rewriting... But the way it is now it was just to meager for me.
Karen
Aug 31, 2013 Karen rated it liked it
Slightly better than the first book in the series, which I pretty much hated, but still has a lot of the same problems -- too many characters and a lot of skimming over or skipping past major details. I thought this one did a better job of showing how practicing yoga helped the characters grow and deal with the challenges in their lives. Still, with a book this short that follows the lives of five central characters, you aren't going to get anything very deep. I still thought a couple of the ...more
Susan Clark-cook
May 30, 2012 Susan Clark-cook rated it liked it
I was able to read this book fairly quickly, but for me, it got off to a slow start. I was afraid it was going to be another sort of formulaic "yoga for women" kind of book, but I am glad I kept going. Along about the middle of the book, it started to really get interesting as the author delved more into each of her characters giving us a fuller look at their lives and situations. By the time I finished the book I was invested and completely interested in each of the outcomes and each of the ...more
Mar 28, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
In spite of the gag reflex causing title this book was actually pretty darn good. I gave it a second glance because I'd read and enjoyed the prequel. Though it borders on the fluffy, chick lit side there is a bit of depth and heart amidst the girl power. Or, perhaps, I simply like it because the story centers around yoga, which i adore. Either way, it proved a pleasurable perusal and I'd seek out a sequel were it to come my way. (Confession: In my youth I worked my way through a good chunk of ...more
Melissa Davis
May 21, 2012 Melissa Davis rated it liked it
I'll start by saying that I got this book in a goodreads giveaway. It's the second in a series (but I didn't know that at the time), and reads a bit more like a soap opera than a novel. That being said, I liked the characters and felt like they had some read conflict going on in there lives. The thread that ties them together is yoga. Not being a big Yogi myself, it was hard to get past all of the yogi lingo, but at the center of this book was some good old fashioned chick lit. I liked it enough ...more
Janin
May 16, 2012 Janin rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This is the second book in a series. I appreciated that it was written well enough that you didn't already have to have read the first book in order to understand it-- and that the characters are interesting and endearing enough that it makes me want to read both the first and the next book in the series (: It's all about friendship, yoga and the interconnected lives of these 5 women-- through both good times and bad.
Dorothy
Aug 06, 2012 Dorothy rated it it was amazing
This is such a great relaxing book for summer, for when stressed. Mitchell's ability to develop interesting characters makes her books so enticing. I related to all of her female characters. Her third book is coming out some time next year...I'll read it, too. Of course, I practice yoga which helps to keep me interested. Even if you've never considered doing yoga, you'd be riveted to her books, too.
Madison
Jul 04, 2012 Madison rated it really liked it
**NOTE** I received this book free from goodreads giveaway.
I did enjoy the book but it took awhile for me to get into it. i am not a fan of skipping around and this book definitely brings you to a good part and then you have to wait to finish it. The stories were very good though and did enjoy reading this book! i am not into yoga myself but it actually made me want to try a class or two! Over all its a very good light read!
Amy
Aug 01, 2015 Amy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit-fluff, 2015
So apparently there's a genre called "yoga-lit"... Go figure.

Read the first in this series and it was entertaining enough. This was more of the same. Fluff chick lit with a heavy yoga angle.

Too many characters for anyone's story to get any real detail and a *Really* abrupt ending- like so abrupt that I was surprised to see the digital kindle "How did you like this" rating page pop up.
Brian Wasserman
Oct 27, 2012 Brian Wasserman rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I admit sometimes I couldn't remember who was who because they go back and forth so much between the stories,but the list on the back of the book is helpful. I think people who do yoga, would most enjoy the book, though others might also. It is more about the people than really being about yoga.
Ticia
Jun 14, 2012 Ticia rated it really liked it
Both of Rain Mitchell's little books (Tales from the Yoga Studio and Head over Heels) are very good. My biggest suggestion to her publishing company would be to let her write a longer book! Her characters and plots need more time to develop! Be that as it may, these books were a guilty pleasure for me. I am looking forward to her third book.
Kim Nixon
Jul 11, 2012 Kim Nixon rated it liked it
This was an unusual book for me. A bit shallow and the characters were no fully developed. But the read was an easy summer read. I could set aside my judgements and just read. I am highly interested in yoga. This book had little to do with yoga. More, it moved thru some women's lives as they coped with dysfunction, love, and loss.
Kathy McVay
Jun 19, 2012 Kathy McVay rated it really liked it
I stumbled upon this book and really enjoyed it. It centers on several women connected through a yoga studio. The yoga community is the backdrop to the story and a neat one. It was a pleasant, easy read. This looks to be a second story in a series. I am going to read the first one next and keep an eye out for future books by this author.
Mindy
Oct 31, 2012 Mindy rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
I think I would have enjoyed this more had I realized it was the second book in a series - definitely missed that, and I think that there was likely some character development in the first book that would have been helpful. That being said, it wasn't anything I couldn't enjoy without having read the first book. Cute story, overall.
Marie
Apr 19, 2015 Marie rated it really liked it
Head Over Heels is a nice sequel to Tales From A Yoga Studio. I enjoyed this book as it was good to get reacquainted with Katherine, Graciela, Imani, Stephanie and Lee. A good story about friendship, yoga and overcoming obstacles. Easy read. I would recommend this book to others.
Miia
Oct 18, 2015 Miia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, authors-usa
I waited quite long for the story to begin and when I finally felt it did, I waited for something to happen... I feel that the story was somewhat empty and not really what I expected. Maybe it would have worked better if I had read the books in the right order, but I started from this one.
Ann Mulholland
May 09, 2014 Ann Mulholland rated it liked it
I did not read the first book in this series, but liked this on its own. I have never even attempted yoga, but liked the women in this story, and the friendship between the 5 characters. looking forward to reading the first one and the final
Sharlene
May 03, 2012 Sharlene rated it it was ok
I found myself reading it like soap opera. I only care for some characters and the ending was abrupt with little explanation for 3 key character story lines. She's working on a third so I guess to be continued?
Chrissey
May 28, 2012 Chrissey rated it liked it
I liked the first book better- Tales from the Yoga Studio. Then when I found out "Rain Mitchell" was a male ghost writer, it kind of ruined it for me.
Cheri
Jul 27, 2013 Cheri rated it really liked it
This is the second of what I hope is a long lust of books with these characters. Can't wait for the next one,
Vicki
May 29, 2012 Vicki rated it liked it

The book read very much like a soap opera. I know there is dysfunctionality in most lives, bit some of this seemed over the top. But a good summer read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Yoga Folks: Head Over Heels - part 2 3 13 Jun 18, 2012 11:16AM
Yoga Folks: Head Over Heels part 1 11 29 Jun 12, 2012 06:56PM
  • Downward Dog, Upward Fog
  • Breathe
  • Speed Shrinking
  • The Yoga Club
  • Death in a Difficult Position (Mantra for Murder, #4)
  • Downward Dog