Start by marking “Astonishing X-Men, Volume 9: Exalted” as Want to Read:
Astonishing X-Men, Volume 9: Exalted

Astonishing X-Men, Volume 9: Exalted (Astonishing X-Men #9)

Greg Pak (World War Hulk) and Mike McKone (Amazing Spider-Man) are here to put the ASTONISHING back in the X-Men. Something isn't what it seems. Storm needs Cyclops' help with a special mission against Sentinels, but it ends up being much more than they bargained for. Oh, and they kiss. WHAT!?!? Who has kidnapped them, who are these familiar looking mutants, and what is th ...more
Hardcover, Premiere, 112 pages
Published May 9th 2012 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Astonishing X-Men, Volume 9, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Astonishing X-Men, Volume 9

Kᴇᴇ Queen
As of the moment, I'm circling the drain of the downhill ride that is The Astonishing X-Men. Since Whedon and Ellis stopped writing for this series, other writers have taken over and the last two did a fine enough job to keep things afloat with forgivably acceptable stories like Children of the Brood. This time, we have Greg Pak and I've read and reviewed two of his stories before (Batman-Superman and Magneto Testament) and I liked them, especially the latter, so I was hoping that he could deliv ...more
Miloš
Nov 18, 2014 Miloš rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books, comics
Excellent!
Brittany
This was okay. It definitely didn't blow me away. I think I disliked it more than I normally would have because it just doesn't fit in with the previous volumes. This is a stand alone in every sense of the word. But that's okay. After Children of the Brood, even though I didn't rate it much higher, this was a good read.

Problems that are apparent right away (at least problems for me): Wolverine, Beast and Colossus are all missing from this volume, and they're some of my favorites. Instead we focu
Chris Lemmerman
Oct 24, 2012 Chris Lemmerman rated it really liked it
That's more like it. After a few lacklustre arcs of Astonishing X-Men, Greg Pak and Mike McKone make everything better again with a relevant and interesting story that ties in nicely to Cyclops' mindset post-Schism as well as telling a compelling adventure too. The parallel dimension characters were interesting, and I'm glad they're getting a spotlight over in X-Treme X-Men since it seemed like there was a lot more that could be done with them as characters, and McKone's art is great as usual.
Shannon Appelcline
Mar 09, 2013 Shannon Appelcline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, comics-marvel
Pak offers up one of the best X-Men stories of the year, in a comic that had otherwise been trending toward mediocrity. He does this through great characterization, thoughtful analysis of the current Schism, and a wonderfully imagined alternate reality (when such things tend to be old hat). The result is quite enjoyable and makes me look forward to the (unfortunately short-lived) X-Treme X-Men series.
Will Robinson Jr.
Great story with Cyclops at the center. Although it is very upsetting that everyone's favorite one eye get's blamed for everything.
47Time
May 31, 2017 47Time rated it it was amazing
The artwork is solid again and quite impressively so. The story is skippable as it's only filler, but it's one of the best so far in the series, with some difficult decisions to be made by someone who can arguably be called one of the best X-Men in the multiverse.

Scott is angry after the schism between his group and the group led by Wolverine and Beast. After defeating some sentinels he is kissed by Storm in a pretty romantic full-page panel. Then he wakes up from a psychic blast into a world wh
Christian
May 05, 2012 Christian rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
I collect comic books. I trace my love of reading today back to my early exposure to comics. As I write this, I am less than twelve hours removed from my THIRD viewing of "The Avengers" in the theater on opening day.

I love the individual comic book. I like the format, the built-in cliff hanger aspect, and the monthly visit to the comic book store.

This book collects 5 recent X-Men issues, four of which have been on my "Want List" for months. I had read a review on a comic site that indicated it
Ernest
Sep 04, 2012 Ernest rated it it was ok
Tarique Ejaz
May 02, 2016 Tarique Ejaz rated it it was ok
If you consider the artwork to be done in a hurry and not appeasing to the eye, the story is not any better. It seems that Greg Pak just cobbled up a random take on the multiverse in a story to discuss the troubled mindset of Cyclops ever since the Schism storyline took place, ripping apart the X-Men into two major factions. One led by Cyclops and the other led by Wolverine.

"This is not your world, Scott. In every incarnation you have sacrificed yourself. Every universe you hailed from but one t
James
Nov 25, 2013 James rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Not very good. The volume seems obligated to explore the plot point of the day, the "Schism" between Cyclops and Wolverine, and so there's a lot of ponderous repetition about how Cyclops is different now, different apparently from every Scott Summers in the multiverse.

The specific plot is that Scott has been kidnapped by some alternate world X-men, who harvest superheroes from other planets, using their powers to fuel the machinery that keeps their world alive. An interesting idea. But it seems
Becky
Mar 16, 2013 Becky rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I really enjoyed this one, but about half way through it I realized that I was just really excited to see Emma talking like Emma. (as opposed to how Bendis currently has her talking).
Scott destroys Kitty's, Logan's, and Hank's locker and in another part of the mansion Emma, still looking at her book, says, "I thought I smelled nostalgia this morning." She then goes on to berate Scott for being a baby and moping over his friends. Even alternate dimension Emma was awesome. She was a bit of a hippy
M
Nov 18, 2012 M rated it liked it
Writer Greg Pak unites with (former Exiles) artist Mike McKone to draw Cyclops into the realm of dimension-hopping mutants. Brooding over Wolverine's departure and the X-Men's schism, Cyclops is eager to get back into saving the mutant race. A visit from Storm sends the two into battle against Sentinels - then drops Scott into an alternate reality. Encountering a Wolverine, Emma Frost, Nightcrawler, and Kitty Pryde, Cyclops leads this rag-tag team against the mutant Savior who abducted them all. ...more
Beckiezra
Nov 23, 2012 Beckiezra rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-manga
After a confusing start (I haven't read X-books lately) I was very tickled by the multiverse story and I'm even happier to see the ghost box stories are a thing. I'm definitely going to check out those. I can't wait to find out about Howlett's world and the Kurt in this story totally looked like the one from X-Men Evolution cartoons. I've got a GIGANTIC soft spot for alternate universes. :)

I liked the art, especially the painting styled steam punk of the ghost box story. The story was cool, I l
Sonic
Mar 28, 2013 Sonic rated it liked it
Had low expectations for this one, and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

Excellent art!

The superb illustration possibly brought the writing, Or at least the story as a whole up to a new level.

Now I could have said "this smells alot like something that might have fallen off of Jonathon Hickman's idea table" but then I would have to recognize that some of Hickman's work is not completely original, but just that he takes a good premise and then develops it really well.
Anywhoodle,
This was fun.
Scott James
Sep 28, 2012 Scott James rated it liked it
Although I quite liked this story, I'm getting more than a little tired of 4-issue hardbacks, particularly for this title. Took me less than 10 minutes to read all the way through. At this point, it's just barely more efficient to get the collections than the individual issues.

But Greg Pak does not disappoint, and it's nice to see Cyclops back at the forefront of the x-book he personifies. Is it enough to get me interested int eh Schism? Damnit, yes it is.

Jerks.
Ricarda Gasch
Nov 02, 2014 Ricarda Gasch rated it really liked it
This one had way more potential than the stories before. I really enjoy the whole multiverse stuff. BUT - similar to "Monstrous/Children of the Brood" I would really have liked a longer run here. The problem is always way too easily handled in the end.
I was a little taken aback by how it was taken for granted that the Saviour was Xavier - because WHY? Really WHY? o_O What was happening there??
Matt
Mar 29, 2013 Matt rated it it was ok
Eh. So bored with alternate reality versions of the heroes that are only slightly different. Also, we kinda know that they're expendable, so they can illustrate how heroic those characters would be, given the chance.
Lame. The only one who's not in danger is the character who's from our dimension. We all know who's got the character shield.
Brent
May 18, 2013 Brent rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: diehard fans
Recommended to Brent by: these fine creators and Atlanta-Fulton Public Library
Shelves: comics, fiction, superhero
Great art, ok story: oy, alternate realities... They get tiresome.
Well-done storytelling: I think these characters return in a series later... Not the best.
Artist Mike Mckone is always readable, even pleasurable... Glad to find this volum, though, in our public library.
Mildly recommended.
Caoimhin
Jun 26, 2014 Caoimhin rated it really liked it
Fastest read of this series yet. Nice way to put in alternate realities without losing touch with the original. Enjoyed the side story connect with Ghost Boxes as well. Adi Granov is an excellent artist!
Mitchell
Okay alternate worlds story, but oh I'm tired of these no matter how good and this one was just okay. Actually the characters were a little bit better than typical as was the writing, but being over it made it hard to appreciate. And the little alternate world noir Emma story, ugh.
Renata
Jun 25, 2013 Renata rated it liked it
Kind of confusing, probably because I think I skipped a few volumes of Astonishing? But also because parallel universes?

Kind of reminded me of X-Treme X-Men but without Dazzler. So, not as good. But still pretty good.
Sassy
Sep 09, 2013 Sassy rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-graphics
Again, another ridiculous story line, totally unexplained background. It's strange. BUT IT'S GOOD. Because I LOVE alternate universes and I like depictions of Scott's internal struggles with morality and his powers.

So it's good for what it is.
John
Apr 16, 2014 John rated it liked it
At this point I think alternate universe versions of beloved characters is a tedious plot device, but Pak's name on the cover, goofy science and the hope of some Cyclopean "what have I become" angst made me pick it up. I didn't get the hoped-for angst, but the rest was fun if disposable
David Runyon
May 12, 2015 David Runyon rated it really liked it
Surprised to find this one of the more interesting (if not quite as intricate) X-Men stories I've read lately.
Jen
May 13, 2016 Jen rated it liked it
This was an interesting jaunt in one of the many alternative universes of the X-Men. Cyclops was the focus, and it was kind of cool to see alt-Emma as his wife and Orroro as his lover.
Sharon
Feb 22, 2014 Sharon rated it liked it
Individual issues on marvel unlimited
Annabelle
Dec 06, 2016 Annabelle rated it it was ok
2.5
Daniel
Feb 13, 2014 Daniel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was okay.
Jase
Sep 04, 2012 Jase rated it it was ok
Alternative dimension has this story on my toes and immediately bored after issue 3.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Astonishing X-Men, Volume 11: Weaponized
  • Astonishing X-Men, Volume 8: Children of the Brood
  • Astonishing X-Men, Volume 7: Monstrous
  • Astonishing X-Men, Volume 6: Exogenetic
  • New X-Men: Childhood's End, Volume 4: Mercury Falling
  • Uncanny X-Men, Volume 4: Vs. S.H.I.E.L.D.
  • Wolverine and the X-Men, Volume 2
  • X-Posed (New X-Men: Academy X #3)
  • Rogue, Volume 1: Going Rogue
  • X-Factor: Scar Tissue
  • X-Men: Original Sin
  • Marvel Masterworks: The Uncanny X-Men, Vol. 3
  • X-Men: First to Last (X-Men (Marvel Hardcover))
  • Astonishing X-Men, Volume 3: Torn
Greg Pak is an award-winning Korean American comic book writer and filmmaker currently writing “Totally Awesome Hulk" and "Weapon X" for Marvel Comics, "Big Trouble in Little China/Escape from New York" for BOOM!, and "Kingsway West" for Dark Horse. Pak wrote the "Princess Who Saved Herself" children's book and the “Code Monkey Save World” graphic novel based on the songs of Jonathan Coulton and c ...more
More about Greg Pak...

Astonishing X-Men (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Astonishing X-Men, Volume 1: Gifted