The Kill Order (Maze Runner, #0)

The Kill Order (The Maze Runner 0)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  30,244 ratings  ·  2,675 reviews
The prequel to the New York Times bestselling Maze Runner series.

Before WICKED was formed, before the Glade was built, before Thomas entered the Maze, sun flares hit the earth and mankind fell to disease.

Mark and Trina were there when it happened, and they survived. But surviving the sun flares was easy compared to what came next. Now a disease of rage and lunacy races acr...more
Published August 14th 2012 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers

Can't Wait Books of 2012
159th out of 2,430 books — 15,864 voters
YA Novels of 2012
119th out of 1,226 books — 9,718 voters

More lists with this book...

Stephen
I would just like to say: How on earth can you rate this without even reading it?

---
It seems that I got an unexpected amount of 'likes' for this so-called review but I still don't get why people rate books without reading them. What are they thinking?

Anyways, I don't think I'll be making a real review because I'm terrible at writing.
Aneeqah
I can describe this book to you in a single word: disappointment. With a big capital D. See, the thing is, The Maze Runner was one of my favorite series ever… until the last book, which I hated. So the only reason I picked this book up was in hope that it would redeem the series for me and answer my bajillion questions. Unfortunately, that didn’t happen. The Kill Order just failed to live up to The Maze Runner.

I think the thing that bothered me the most about this book was that it was not about...more
Blythe
Aug 30, 2012 Blythe rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Those who don't need character development along with their action
Actual Rating: 3.5 stars

There are the books that either have too little action and you're bored to tears reading said book, or book that have too much action, and too little of everything else. The Kill Order tends to fall in the latter category of books, and I'll bet that was where Dashner was intending The Kill Order to fall.

The plot for The Kill Order is simple - it's the end of the world, sun flares are destroying the Earth, and a group of teenagers (are they teenagers?) are trying their be...more
 Imani ♥ ☮
I was only informed that this book was coming out when I was scouring through my Kindle store, looking for free books. And I saw this and I was like, "Hmm...that sure does look like the Maze Runner and the other books in that crappy trilogy". And then I looked at the info and found out that's a prequel.

A prequel.

I don't LIKE prequels. I wanted to know what happened to stupid Brenda and idiotic Thomas. Not Teresa and Thomas (who, by the way, should have been together NOT Brenda and Thomas).

But...more
Arisu
I demand a sequel to the prequel
Hayden
Well. First let me start off my saying that I am extremely disappointed about the fact that the series is now done.

I started this book yesterday afternoon, and now, at 2 in the morning, I've finished it. And let me just say HOLY CRAP. THIS BOOK. I CAN'T.
I thought all the other three were good, but this book made me so overwhelmingly....I don't even know. So many feelings. Can I just vent? I'm going to vent, OK?

(view spoiler)...more
Emily
~Tina~
The Kill Order is the much anticipated prequel to The Maze Runner series by the incredible James Dashner.
I can't even begin to express how badly I wanted this book. Dashner is one of my all time favorite authors. He's the reason I found my love for post-apocalyptic/dystopic books which provoked me to want to read more in this genre.

This installment takes place thirteen years prior to the initial time setting of the series, which was before Thomas and the Glade, and even before WICKED was create...more
Colby
Mar 02, 2012 Colby marked it as to-read
Not to be a freak, but...
holyfreakingcrapi'mexcitedokayididn'treallyevenlikethelastbookverymuchbutohmygodohmygodyesyesyes!

Freakout over.
I'm just really excited to read how this all starts!

EDIT: 3/2/2012
New cover. I really, really like it. Let's just hope that it reflects how good the book is.
Inge
I don't know, I guess The Kill Order just wasn't for me. I had high expectations for this book, because I loved the original trilogy. Each of the three books was given five stars. They were absolutely perfect. I was expecting a prequel that was sort of connected to the trilogy, and it was, but not in the way that I wanted. I wanted to read more about my original characters, the ones that I had grown to love. I wanted to read more about the government, and why they did what they did.

Instead, I go...more
Meli
RESEÑA COMPLETA

Ufff, no estoy segura de poder decir algo coherente, lo acabo de terminar y son demasiadas cosas que asimilar.

Fue un libro grandioso que me hizo sufrir como loca. No fue lo que esperaba, creí que iba a narrar todo el proceso de armado del laberinto y CRUEL, me sorprendió encontrarme con una historia independiente a Thomas y compañía, con personajes nuevos.
También creí que todos los interrogantes que La cura mortal nos dejó iban a tener su respuesta, pero en el fondo sabía que Das...more
Erika
Before reading the book:

Wow, this sounds interesting!
_____________________________________________________________

After reading the book:

Well, that was disappointing...

I'm gonna warn you guys, and you should take it seriously as a fair warning:

Do NOT read this book and/or review if you haven't read the ENTIRE Maze Runner Trilogy.

Just don't if you're planning on reading the trilogy. At least not if you don't want to get spoilers for the whole three books.

Now that it's set i will start off by ment...more
Abby
Also posted here: http://wintrywords.blogspot.com/2012/...

I feel like curling into a little ball and punching a Crank in the face after reading only half of The Kill Order. There’s not much else I can do anymore, feeling like my life is a lie.

I am a huge fan of The Maze Runner series so when I found out there was going to be a prequel I about had a heart-attack. When I somehow manage to land an ARC, I am pretty sure I did indeed die of a heart-attack. My zombie is typing up this review now. The...more
Jonathan

The Kill Order is an interesting book that I felt little attachment to, which probably explains my feelings regarding the entire Maze Runner series. While the novels are all better written than your typical YA bestsellers the plots and characters often felt flat and distanced from the reader, so as a result the novels remained likeable, entertaining novels with interesting themes. That was until this particular novel.

This novel aims to present the idea (as with some of the previous novels) about...more
Jalyn
Brief summary
Before the Maze, before the Scorch, before WICKED was even formed, came the sun flares that changed the world as we know it. Mark and Trina survived what they thought was the worst thing to ever happen to the world, but are now faced with a devastating disease that is ravaging the United States. They, along with some friends, are determined to find the cure that must be out there somewhere and to do that they need to find the people who started it all.

What I liked
I really wanted to...more
Emily Rose
Jan 17, 2014 Emily Rose marked it as to-read
Well since this series just went utterly downhill with every sequal, that better mean that the prequal will be good.

Juli
Este libro es demasiado emotivo: te da ganas de llorar, reír y matar a alguien al mismo tiempo... Para explicar lo que se siente al leerlo, es algo así como contagiarse de la llamarada por un rato.
Explica muchas cosas sobre el ataque de las llamaradas solares y sobre el origen del virus de la llamarada. Lo recomiendo a aquellos que hayan leído la trilogía de The Maze Runner, realmente aclara muchas cosas.
Me gustó mucho por los momentos de suspenso porque gracias a ellos nunca pude parar de leer...more
Megan
Jan 13, 2013 Megan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
While this book was good and action packed it was, overall, just ok. I think the main problem was that while I was expecting it to be about Thomas and Teresa or really any of the characters you know from the rest of the series, it wasn't. (view spoiler) So that being said how am I really supposed to care about these characters when I know that they have no place in the rest of the series, and knowing how the rest of...more
Kyle
Read this review and more over at Living Is Reading!

(The gifs actually work on the blog. Have no idea why they didn't work here, but whatever)

Have you ever seen the movie Elephant? I did a few months back. It was just this sort of random indie film that I heard about because I was researching the Columbine massacre, and I heard that the film was based off of that, although it wasn’t about that event exactly. I’d heard very mixed reactions about it, some people saying it was absolute cerebral...more
Tom
Wow, what a ride! I'm going with 4.5 just because of my enjoyment of it. The book was pedal to the metal and never let up.

I can understand those that were disappointed with this book. With so many questions left unanswered at the end of The Death Cure I was really hoping to get some insight on how they got there. Instead we got the story of Mark and Trina and a couple other characters as they try and survive the period right after the sun flares hit and when the flare virus is introduced. Its an...more
kingshearte
Note: review is kind of spoilery, but mostly concerning the original trilogy.

As a general rule, I'm not a big fan of extending a completed series, in either direction. However, when I finished The Death Cure, I felt that there was a lot of story meat left in Thomas's pre-Glade story, so in this case, when I heard that there was indeed to be a prequel, I was actually pretty excited. I wasn't even too thrown by the talk about Mark and Trina in the blurb, because, given that Thomas's name wasn't al...more
Scott
Check out this review at City of Books
When I saw on Goodreads that there was a Maze Runner prequel called The Kill Order I had very mixed feelings. On one hand I was excited that there was another Maze Runner book and maybe all my questions that I had at the end of the Death Cure. On the another hand I was kind of skeptical and thought this would be an unnecessary book and just a cash-cow move.

The Kill Order is the story that takes place 13 Years prior to the Maze Runner. The world is in shamb...more
Luciana
Oh. Por. Dios. Voy a intentar poner todos mis pensamientos juntos para poder hacer esta reseña porque este libro te deja con demasiadas emociones juntas. Fue increíble.

The Kill Order está situado trece años antes de Maze Runner, salvo el prólogo y el epílogo. James Dashner nos cuenta con este libro muchas de las dudas, que por lo menos a mí, me habían quedado de The Death Cure.

Las llamaradas solares y el virus letal. El libro explica cómo es que llegó a la Tierra el calor y la radiación, la ma...more
Keegen
--------------------Warning Spoiler Alert-------------------------

The Kill Order was a fun book to read. This book was very adventurous, it started off with mark and his friend trying to survive the flare when the village was bombarded with darts carrying highly contagious material that kills within days. Mark and what he had left of his friends including a young veteran named Alec his girlfriend Trina and a woman named Lana.On the way they pick up Deedee a little girl that survived being hit...more
Kassidy
So disappointing. I liked the prologue and the epilogue, I felt the rest of the book was completely pointless except for the character Deedee and the explanation of the origins of The Flare. Which a whole book was not needed for those things. It was a ton of action which got really boring, and I just don't see the point of the story. It was fairly entertaining at times, but compared to the rest of the series it was pretty crappy.
Courtney
OK. There were a few things I really wanted from this book. Namely, answers that I had left over from the first three books. I knew this was a prequel, but I had no idea where Dashner would pick up the storyline. I had *hoped* that it would involve Tom and Teresa's work with WICKED prior to the maze. But, with the exception of the introduction, Teresa is nowhere to be found and Tom is only mentioned one more time in the entire book. Instead, it focuses on Mark, a teenaged boy who has become sepa...more
Erin
I am so extremely disappointed in this book. After finishing THE DEATH CURE I was frustrated with all of the unknowns left out there and thought this would be the book to answer them all. If you expect to learn ANYTHING about the creation of the Maze, how it worked, who was behind it, etc...do not bother reading this book. With the exception of the prologue and the epilogue, NONE of the characters from the original series are mentioned at all. This is a completely different story...all different...more
Uriah
Spoilers de principio a fin.
James Dashner hizo que me encariñara con todos los personajes desde el principio, aunque la mayoría se muera o se pierda en los primeros capítulos sin haberlos conocido mucho, lo sufrí, y más cuando Mark recuerda sus aventuras antes de que se expandiera el virus. Darnell, el Sapo, incluso Baxter, que ni siquiera aparece vivo, sólo en recuerdos.
Es re loco imaginarse el mundo destruido de esa manera, con muertos por todos lados y gente luchando por sobrevivir. Igual,...more
Koko
Mar 11, 2014 Koko rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
98% peleas.
2% explicaciones de cosas que ya sabía.
0% explicaciones de cosas que quería saber.

Este libro me decepcionó más que la chucha. Tiene sus momentos, pero cada diez páginas Mark y Alec se veian envueltos en una pelea que duraba páginas y páginas, al menos así lo sentí.
Sigo sin saber de donde salió la señora que los ayudó al último, de donde se formó la empresa o lo que sea que odiaba a CRUEL, no sé como se formó CRUEL. Decepcionante, después de que la trilogía me encantara y terminaran to...more
J Omar Vidrio
Es un libro ASOMBROSO, lleno de acción, aventura y personajes entrañables. Nos cuentan muchos del inicio del virus, pero aún quedan incógnitas, esperemos que James Dashner continúe toda una saga pre-cuela. Al terminarlo desearas MÁS. Si te ha gustado la trilogía amaras esta pre-cuela.
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Kill Order by James Dashner--> Starting April 22nd 3 9 Apr 17, 2014 11:50AM
Books,books&B...: The Kill Order by James Dashner 2 3 Apr 11, 2014 05:30AM
Anyone else think this? *SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS* 64 681 Mar 05, 2014 10:25AM
Is this worth reading? 10 69 Jan 31, 2014 10:44AM
Alec 2 22 Jan 21, 2014 01:18PM
  • Rage Within (Dark Inside, #2)
  • UnStrung (Unwind, #1.5)
  • As They Slip Away (Across the Universe, #0.5)
  • Delirium Stories: Hana, Annabel, and Raven (Delirium, #0.5, #1.5, #2.5)
  • Feedback (Variant, #2)
  • Execution (Escape From Furnace, #5)
  • Life Before Legend (Legend, #0.5)
  • Portrait of a Marshal: The 2nd Unhidden Story (Starters, #1.25)
  • Vortex (Insignia, #2)
  • Light (Gone, #6)
  • Isolation (Partials Sequence #0.5)
  • Outpost (Razorland, #2)
  • 20 Years Later
  • Stronger: A Super Human Clash (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy, #6)
  • The Dead (The Enemy #2)
  • Snowscape (Chaos Walking, #3.5)
  • Brooke (Under the Never Sky #2.5)
  • Flesh and Bone (Benny Imura, #3)
James is the author of THE MAZE RUNNER trilogy and THE 13TH REALITY series. He also published a series (beginning with A DOOR IN THE WOODS) with a small publisher several years ago. He lives and writes in the Rocky Mountains.
More about James Dashner...
The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1) The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, #2) The Death Cure (Maze Runner, #3) The Journal of Curious Letters (The 13th Reality, #1) The Hunt for Dark Infinity (The 13th Reality, #2)

“Let's get this started, people. It won't be long before we all lose our minds.” 27 likes
“Oh, I'm good. Seriously, after all these years, you'd think I would stop amazing myself. But here I am, still doing it.” 24 likes