Start by marking “Not a Fan: Teen Edition” as Want to Read:
Not a Fan: Teen Edition

Not a Fan: Teen Edition

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  408 ratings  ·  51 reviews
If someone asked, "Are you a fan of Jesus?", how would you answer?

You attend every movie featuring a certain actor, you know the stats of your sports hero, and you can recite lyrics from your favorite songs. In short, you're a huge fan. But are you treating Jesus the same as the other people you admire?

The truth is Jesus wants more than the church attendance, occasional p
Published April 23rd 2012 by Zondervan (first published April 17th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Not a Fan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not a Fan

Iola
This is the teen edition of Not a Fan, which was first published in 2011. I don't know how different it is from the adult edition, but it's easy to read and has some amusing asides that will appeal to teenage readers (well, they appeal to me, so I hope they appeal to teens as well).

There are some negative reviews for the adult version of Not A Fan, criticising the way it seems to promote two 'classes' of Christian and even going so far as to suggest that these second-class Christians might not a
Keiki Hendrix
Challenging, thought provoking and very readable, Not a Fan: Teen Edition: What does it mean to really follow Jesus? opens with an uncommon introduction. It opens with an apology sets the tone of humility throughout the book.

The author states up front it is an odd way to open a book, but for me, an apologizing or humble admittance to a issue or topic makes the author, preacher or speaker much more appealing. I can learn from someone who's as flawed as me. I have trouble accepting doctrines and t
Shelby  Lauren
I heard about this book a while back but never considered reading it until someone recommended it to me. And I was absolutely blown away. The writing is easy to read and understand while being full of humor (loved Kyle’s hilarious footnotes) and teen lingo. Kyle focuses on the meaning of truly following Jesus by having us define our relationship with Him. He also uses several Biblical examples of aspiring “followers” from the books of Matthew, Luke, and John. He draws the line between follower a ...more
Jonathan
Not a fan is an amazing Christian non-fiction book by Kyle Idleman. It has probably made many followers of Jesus. It explains how to be a follower of Jesus. It explains how you need to be fully committed to living for Jesus to follow Him, to get forgiveness, and to get to heaven. It does a great job of displaying what is necessary to follow Jesus, and what most people do, which makes them non-follower, what he calls fans. Along the way are many stories of people who decided to be more than just ...more
Mark
The book will appeal mostly to the evangelical Christian audience. It assumes that branch of theology and soteriology.

One danger of books like these is that even though it speaks out agains legalism and speaks for grace and acceptance, it encourages a considerable amount of "navel-gazing" - that activity a person does in evaluating one's self. One set of behavioral standards are essentially replaced by another by which to evaluate. Even though the intent is to steer away from legalism and the a
Lisa
While this book did bring up some interesting points to think about, a lot of times, I felt it was too much on the negative, almost scolding side. I realize being a Christian is not a cake walk, but there was not enough focus on the reward at the end of those hardships, if you suffer them and keep your head up and look to God for your strength.
Alex
3.5 stars.

My library only had this teen version, but I imagine the message is pretty much the same no matter which version you get.

This book opened up my eyes about a few things and really left me thinking. It also made me slightly uncomfortable in some parts, but in a good way.

I didn't agree with everything Kyle said, and one true life testimony rubbed me the complete wrong way, but overall I really enjoyed the message.
Kim
Yes, I did read the Teen Edition because it was free on Amazon, but it is still an excellent book. I've also seen the "Not a Fan" television series on TBN, and based on those shows, I know that the Teen Edition has basically the same information but primarily just the examples are more geared towards teens and young adults. The overall message and challenge to be a follower instead of just a fan of Jesus is convicting. I do consider myself a follower even after reading this book but the author p ...more
Tonya
I die daily. One of the many thoughts in this book. Are you a fan or a follower?

Matthew 7:23 "Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!" (NIV) Many THINK they are followers but a good way to know, one anyway is what have you lost as you are following Jesus Christ? Or do you hold back from Him?

Kyle gives so many different thoughts and examples, many will have the reader cringing, saying oh my this is me. You really need to search yourself, find out if you are
M.L.
Full disclosure. I have not read this book. I have never written a review of a book that I have not read, but I am so upset at how hard my daughter has been on herself during the first week of this study. One of the questions is "What did you hear God say to you after you prayed?" My daughter, a black and white thinker, thought it meant something was wrong with her if she didn't hear God in the exact time frame she'd set up for Him to speak to her so that she could fill in the blank. She also th ...more
sylvie/emma
Jul 21, 2014 sylvie/emma rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone christian
Recommended to sylvie/emma by: Z Street Team
This is simply amazing. I've read it about three times since I got it this spring...
Kyle Idleman writes on such a good subject and writes it well. Every Christian teenshould read this book. It will challenge you so much.
Kyle is also really great at using humor and personal stories throughout the book, which adds a lot of depth but also makes me smile.
I love how he uses Bible passages in every chapter to explain what he's talking about and give an example (it really shows the reader, proves it i
Jared Williams
Definitely the perfect book to continue your ealk in faith and strengthen your belief. The Author's beliefs on people in the church and everything were the exact same as mine. Would recommend for anyone looking to understand the "fine print" necessities in being close to God.
It was defiantly an eye opener. I loved how he made references to movies/other books. He made one reference to "The Princess Bride." If you plan to read this you should defiantly read the footnotes. They make the book funny and easier to read. I read this over christmas and i loved it, had a hard time putting it down, It was such an eye opener.
J
Great read--- Idleman does a tremendous job explaining the difference between believing in Jesus and following Jesus.
Cody
Me and my church went to a church camp over the summer to colorado. It was based around or over this book. I hadn't read it yet so when I got home I went out and bought it. This book changed my faith in God so did the camp. It open my eyes to what was important in life. I recommend this book to everyone because it will show you how great our God is. I can relate it to my life because I wasn't a fully committed follower before I read this book and went to the camp now I am. Kyle Idleman knows how ...more
Melissa Frudz
I absolutely love this book. Even though I consider myself beyond the points Kyle Idleman was writing about I know at the time I was firm in my faith it still opened up my eyes. I never looked at it like that before, how you could be a fan or a follower of Christ. Like how clever is that to put it like that, people who are ok to say they believe in Jesus but don't want him to interfere with there life and those who will give up there lives to follow Christ. it really helped in a way so when I pr ...more
Pj Gamm
I wish the ending had wrapped up the book, but this was excellent
Mar
2.5 Good reminders, especially to those raised in Christian homes that one must make a personal commitment. The focus is on being a follower rather than a fan.
Vanessa
LOVED LOVED LOVED this book!
Novia
Dec 21, 2014 Novia marked it as to-read
good
Trevor Bryant
I wholeheartedly agree with the concept, but the book itself is just drawn out. Pretty convicting in the beginning, but the latter half of the book is spent on Luke 9:23, which could have been done much shorter. Not to mention, while this book put a whole lot of emphasis on being a follower rather than a fan, it never really got at the "why" of being a follower. Definitely has something to draw from for a sermon series, but dry for a book. Was ready to be finished with it.
Rachel
I was fortunate enough to get this book for free on Kindle. I saw that it had a five-star rating, which prompted me to go ahead and read it. I couldn't put it down! It quickly became one of my favorite books, and I've went through sections of it a second and third time as well. It is well written for a teenage audience with an interesting writing style that will keep you plugged in. It really hits home, challenging you to change your life.
Shannon Sonneveldt
This was a great study. I read this with my teenage son as a bible study. I may have learned more or got more out of it than he did (even though it's the teen edition), but this kept him engaged and we had some great discussions. Any book that can teach a teenage boy about God while entertaining him at the same time is a winner! Great read and very informative. I would highly recommend this for anyone, not just teenagers.
Imogen
Not quite finished reading this yet, but I'd definitely recommend it, whether you're a mature Christian or a new Christian. I've been a Christian for a number of years, though I'll admit I do struggle with my walk with Jesus and this book is really helping me, it's a really interesting and easy read, definitely relates to me :)
Jill Geyer
This book really opened my eyes up to the power of the Holy Spirit. Previously whenever I asked someone about the Holy Spirit or the Trinity. They were like it's really confusing. Kyle Idleman was definitely right when he said people put the Holy Spirit on the JV squad of the trinity. But it's crazy to think that the GOD in us is what empowers us to love and spread the word.
Pamela
SO GOOD. Amazing. So many proof texts to totally challenge what living as a Christian really means. I 'randomly' pulled it off the library shelf - this is the teen edition, if I had known there was an adult edition probably would have picked that one, but this one is very humorous.
Reagan

I thought that this was a great book. However, I don't think this would be very helpful for teens, because it is pretty confusing. The ending was pretty much all about death, and I didn't really like that. Well, hopefully I will try not to be a fan.
Joanna
I am giving this book 3.5 stars. But I rounded up to 4 because I feel that even though I had issues with a few things this author was presenting, over all it made me really look at my relationship with God and how I can not be fan but be a true follower.
Adriana Lacy
very convicting. really gets you out of your comfort zone and you're left asking yourself, who am I? Am I really on fire for Jesus? or am I simply caught up in the Jesus fandom? a must read for teens who are serious about their faith.
Jaguar
I am still deciding on my rating. It will either be 4.5 or 5 stars. This book waa encouraging and helpful. I learned some stuff from this book, and it would be good to read again. I want to be a follower, not a fan. Recommended.
Which one do you consider yourself as? 1 5 Sep 28, 2012 05:43PM
  • The Daily Devotional Series: The Gospel of John
  • Becoming a Woman of Freedom
  • Praying Circles around Your Children
  • The Hour That Matters Most: The Surprising Power of the Family Meal
  • Can I Be Sure I'm Saved? (Crucial Questions, #7)
  • A Woman Who Trusts God: Finding the Peace You Long for
  • Praying Backwards: Transform Your Prayer Life by Beginning in Jesus' Name
  • No Other gods: Confronting Our Modern Day Idols
Kyle Idleman is the teaching pastor at Southeast Christian Church in Louisville, Kentucky, the fifth largest church in America. The bestselling author of the award-winning book Not a Fan and AHA is a frequent speaker at conferences and events around the world. Kyle and his wife, DesiRae, have four children.
More about Kyle Idleman...
Not a Fan: Becoming a Completely Committed Follower of Jesus Gods at War: Defeating the Idols That Battle for Your Heart AHA: The God Moment That Changes Everything Not a Fan Follower's Journal Gods at War Student Edition: The battle for your heart that will define your life

“The most dangerous part of following Jesus tomorrow isn’t what you will lose between now and then. That’s not the worst thing that can happen. The worst thing that can happen is that tomorrow might never come.” 0 likes
“Followers will do some crazy things for love, but fans want to play it safe.” 0 likes