The Ronin and the Fox

The Ronin and the Fox

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  22 reviews
In feudal Japan, Kaede Hajime lives as a vagabond ronin, a samurai without a lord. As he spends the night at a village's inn, the innkeeper begs him to help stop a mischievous kitsune, a fox spirit, plaguing their village. But when he captures the spirit—in the form of a hauntingly beautiful man—Hajime learns that the kitsune has troubles of his own. The pearl that contain...more
Published February 24th 2012 by Storm Moon Press (first published February 23rd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Ronin and the Fox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ronin and the Fox

Shattered Glass by Dani AlexanderArmed & Dangerous by Abigail RouxStars & Stripes by Abigail RouxChase in Shadow by Amy LaneWho We Are by T.J. Klune
Best M/M Romance Published in 2012
370th out of 603 books — 1,396 voters
The Gentleman and the Rogue by Bonnie DeeBound by Deception by Ava MarchDowntime by Tamara AllenSnowball in Hell by Josh LanyonWhistling in the Dark by Tamara Allen
Best Gay Historical Romance
263rd out of 434 books — 702 voters

More lists with this book...

Ayanna
I felt like I was reading a manga in book form. A light novel.

It felt like the author knew her shit, which is always nice. She didn't just read a children's book about Japanese mythology and decide to spin off it so far you could barely recognize it, or you could recognize it, but it seemed so overblown and farcical it causes you physical pain.

It made cultural sense, which was cool. It really was like reading a cross between a yaoi and a shonen manga.

I'm also personally happy she made the nine-t...more
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
I really liked this story set in feudal Japan. I must confess that I'm not well versed with Japanese mythology, so I might have missed something, but I didn't enjoy the story any less.

Hajime is a ronin, a samurai who has abandoned his lord, and when he arrives in a village, he is asked to help them get rid of a fox spirit, but when he meets his fascinating enemy, he also learns that the fox is trapped in the village by a man who has stolen his soul in the form of a pearl.

Hajime is a very compass...more
Ami
I have to say, that Cornelia Grey has taken me out of my "comfort zone". I am not huge on historical -- but this is written with backdrop of feudal Japan, with samurai and kitsune spirit. And I wholeheartedly LOVE it!!

Hajime finds a strange in his room and has a night of wonderful lovemaking. Then, Hajime finds out who the stranger he has been involved it the previous night -- and develops a strange friendship when he agrees to help the Fox.

Their first meeting is sensual (and HOT). The enemy-fri...more
Cole Riann
Review posted at The Armchair Reader.

I have come to love this author's writing and she's wonderful at writing stories just in this length -- short stories and novellas. That is the first reason why I've wanted to read this story since it was published earlier this year. The biggest reason, however, is that I've been looking and waiting for an m/m romance about kitsune, mythological Japanese fox spirits. Look them up online if you'd like to read more about them, they're fascinating to read about....more
Alex
Overall
A passionate, heart-felt story, this will especially appeal to readers who like Japanese mythologies, mischievous spirits, and honorable samurai. While the cover and title caught my eye (and perfectly represent the story told within), the pages within didn't let me down. I was quickly drawn in by the serious ronin and the playful kitsune and the troubles they find themselves in and their struggles to trust one another.

Strengths
Despite most of the time our only two characters are the leadi...more
Jana Denardo
Straysod
Gods, I love Cornelia Grey's writing. She has such an amazing talent. Her characters are always so real, complex and rounded, her worlds always have such beautiful detail. If you've liked other short stories by her, you will absolutely love this one too, and if you haven't read anything by her yet, this is an excellent place to start.

A little longer than some of her stories, this one is immensely satisfying. Typical of her stories, Grey paints a vivid and beautiful world without wasting words. T...more
Urbanista
Cornerofmadness
ManOhMan
Reviewed by Joe: First I have to say that I am a huge fan of Cornelia Grey and her fox stories, so when I saw this title up for review I had to grab it and I was not disappointed. Ms. Grey has once again proven why I am a fan of hers with her vivid descriptions, crisp dialogue, likeable characters and fun world that she has created.

I loved the samurai setting and the paranormal twist that was thrown in. From the first sentence the reader is sucked in, stopping only when they reach the end.

It i...more
Mammarella
I am very partial to anything Japan (hardcore yaoi fan here).

I am also very partial to illustrations in my books. They used to be a very common occurrence when I was younger. This book was a pleasant surprise in that respect :)

That said, I really enjoyed this story itself, however short and simple it was :)
Camping out in the woods, in an ancient temple, a Fox spirit and a former samurai fall in love while trying to save a local village, free the Fox and get rid of an evil, hiding under pretence...more
Meggie
Enjoyable story. It reminded me a bit on Inuyasha as a character. I like fox-spirits. The storyline was well developed and the main plotted romance between, Hajime and Katsura, enjoyable till the end. I would really like to read more about this pair. I'm sure they would have interesting stories to tell us, with their travelings. This story was short novella but fresh and good.
Tam
I'm torn here. On one hand I adore kitsune and I loved Katsura. He was terrific. But Hajime had me so annoyed with his behaviour most of the time. Push him away, then be annoyed for no apparent reason, have angry sex, push the guy away. Sigh. He had anger management issues. But as I said, I love me some kitsune, so I'll go with 3.5 stars.
Moniqee
A pretty interesting novella. I hope to see their journey continues.
Melanie
Reviewed for JoyfullyJay on 3/10/12

Rating: 3.75 stars

The Ronin And The Fox

Following a dispute with his lord, Samurai Hajime left his master's realm to become ronin, a masterless samurai. As he journeys through one village, the innkeeper begs him to stay and help drive away a kitsune or fox spirit that is bedeviling the village. Lacking destination or purpose to his life, Hajime agrees to help. A seductive encounter with Katsura, a gorgeous young man in his room at the inn leaves Hajime reeling a...more
Elena
3.5-3.75 stars. Gorgeous pictures inside the book and very lovely cover. I don't know, who the artist is, but I definitely love his/her style.

Well, it's not a bad book. It shows some touches of research, it sets in Japan, and I a priori liked it.

But the writing style is questionable. The main hero, Hajime, is ronin (samurai with no lord). Actually samurai period took place from 12th to 18th century, it's really long time, with different periods and different events. Well, I mean, I was wandering...more
Melchisedek
I really liked this book very much. and the pictures were so beautiful. i want another picture at the end where they both are hugging each other in a forest, that would be so beautiful.
B
This was a beautiful book to read well paced, great story, it even has beautiful drawings.
A mischievous spirit and a ronin meet and make beautiful magic together.
Shayla Mist
"The ronin and the fox" reminded me a lot of a manga/anime, it isn't hard to guess why. But it's not just because the action is in Japan and it involves Japanese deities, it's also because the author managed that atmosphere. It sucked me in from the very first pages.

I don't have words to describe this book. I loved it so much I would give it a whole constellation of stars, not just five! It's amazing how wonderful the author weaved this plot. It was such an emotional story, with such captivating...more
MandyM
3.5 stars. Substantial short story set in feudal Japan about a wandering former samurai and a mischievous fox spirit.
Lily
3.6 stars. Unusual setting and intriguing characters, an enjoyable take on the 'enemies to lovers' theme.
Desire'e
This story was okay. I really liked the illustrations.
Kathleen
Kathleen marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Katrin
Katrin marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Ixel
Ixel marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Echo Violett
Echo Violett marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Coffinmo
Coffinmo marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Karyta
Karyta marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Angelz
Angelz marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
  • Changing Worlds
  • The Fifth Son
  • All Wrapped Up
  • Like It or Not
  • An Elf for All Centuries
  • Ulrich (Highland Wolves, #1)
  • Arabesque
  • Harm Reduction
  • Raven and the Wolf (Eyrder Saga, #1)
  • Servitude
  • Heart's Home
  • Dead Shot
  • Stolen Hearts (Stolen Hearts, #1)
  • Bound to the Beast (The Greenwood, #2)
  • Crescendo (Song of the Fallen, #2)
  • Ghost (Wolf's-own, #1)
  • The Prince of Winds
Cornelia Grey is a creative writing student fresh out of university, with a penchant for fine arts and the blues. Born and raised in the hills of Northern Italy, where she collected her share of poetry and narrative prizes, she is now based in London, and she is thoroughly enjoying the cultural melting pot that is the City.

Her interests vary from painting to photography, from sewing to acting; whe...more
More about Cornelia Grey...
Apples and Regret and Wasted Time Devil at the Crossroads The Mercenary The Tea Demon Benjamin Pepperwhistle and the Fantabulous Circus of Wonders