Start by marking “Sour Apples (Orchard, #6)” as Want to Read:
Sour Apples (Orchard, #6)

Sour Apples (Orchard #6)

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  687 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
Apple orchard owner Meg Corey is finally feeling settled into her new life in Granford--she's made friends, and her relationship with Seth Chapin is heating up--when her old Boston coworker Lauren Converse comes barreling into town, running the Congressional campaign for a former hometown football hero. But Meg doesn't have time to worry about why Seth seems reluctant to b ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Published August 7th 2012 by Berkley Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about Sour Apples, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sour Apples

Twilight by Stephenie MeyerWinter by Marissa MeyerThe Cider House Rules by John IrvingMiss Spitfire by Sarah  MillerThe Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
Apples on the Cover
93rd out of 172 books — 38 voters
James and the Giant Peach by Roald DahlThe Grapes of Wrath by John SteinbeckTwilight by Stephenie MeyerA Clockwork Orange by Anthony BurgessOn the Banks of Plum Creek by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Fruit Salad
293rd out of 317 books — 55 voters

More lists with this book...

Lain
Feb 09, 2013 Lain rated it liked it
Not my favorite in the series, and a few plot blips, but otherwise a decent story. But I have to say will Bree please lose the snotty attitude? She's a big downer in an otherwise sweet series. I almost wish she'd get arrested for murder so we wouldn't have to deal with the big chip on her shoulder any longer.
Deb
Sep 19, 2012 Deb rated it it was amazing
Sheila Connolly delivers another winner with Sour Apples. I love small town mysteries, vibrant characters, and visiting with old friends from past books. Mix in a bit of political intrigue and I'm totally hooked. Way to go, Connolly!
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Aug 17, 2012 Jeannie and Louis Rigod rated it it was amazing
Ms. Connolly always gives me a good solid mystery cloaked in a warm apple pie pastry. Seriously, I sit down with either a large cold glass of apple juice or a slice of pie when I begin the newest 'Orchard Mystery.'

'Sour Apples' was so much more than apples that were spoiled. A neighbor dairy farmer, Joyce Truesdale is killed by her cow's misplaced kick to her head. The town is in shock. Her husband bravely strives to keep the farm afloat. Meg Corey (apple farmer,) and Seth Chapin, (Selectman an
❂ Jennifer
Jan 07, 2013 ❂ Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
This book was really just all right. It's hard for me to really like the characters or care about them and the mystery itself was sort of flat, although it had an interesting premise. The murderer isn't obvious, buy why the murders were committed is, so the 'reveal' just wasn't all the surprising.

I like reading about the orchard and her struggles as she becomes a 'farmer', but I think the author struggles with the dialogue - characters come across as surly and unpleasant, when it's obvious we're
Obsidian
Mar 01, 2016 Obsidian rated it it was ok
I have to say that though I loved the first three novels in this series, this one and the one preceding it, "Bitter Harvest" have not been my favorite of orchard owner Meg Corey.

In "Sour Apples" we have Meg back again starting to plan out her orchard for harvest time again. Meg's fiend from Boston, Lauren Converse, is back in Granford working on a congressional campaign for a former hometown son, Rick Sainsbury. While Meg tries to find out why her boyfriend Seth is so reluctant to speak up for
Heidi
Aug 11, 2012 Heidi rated it liked it
I was really looking forward to this book, but unfortunately it was very slow. I like the characters and setting, but I felt like all Meg did was make coffee! I figured out the connection early, but liked the way it was revealed.
Ian
Dec 12, 2014 Ian rated it liked it
A politician comes to town.
An organic farmer is murdered.
Old friendships are tested.
Old animosities are rekindled.
Meg and Seth plant a new orchard.
...no, not a metaphor.
Nora-adrienne
Sep 24, 2012 Nora-adrienne rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozies
Meg gets involved in another mystery and drags Seth and the crew right along with her as she discovers the events of the past that led up to this tragic murder. This sixth book in the Orchard Mystery series takes on so many facets that need looking into, and with the expansion of the Orchard Med it burning her candle at both ends.

I'm in love with Sheila Connolly's characters and hope that she and Meg have a long and continued successful run.

FTC Full Disclosure: I won this book in an author giv
Cris
Dec 10, 2012 Cris rated it it was ok
I found the conclusion unsatisfactory at best. The plot seemed unnecessarily convoluted, and the motivation for the crime(s) weak.

I enjoyed the little bits of orchard info Connolly included, so I might try the next book in the series. But unless Connolly can pull the focus back onto Meg and the orchard I don't think I'll continue with the series.
Paul Lunger
Jan 19, 2014 Paul Lunger rated it really liked it
I'll be the first to admit that I've not been a huge fan of Sheila Connolly's "Orchard Mystery" series, but the 6th installment "Sour Apples" has given me a chance to rethink my misgivings about this series. In this installment, Meg & Seth's relationship continues to grow & we see the start of a political campaign. However, when a neighbor of Seth's Joyce Truesdell comes up dead from an apparent kick to the head by a cow things get interesting as a seemingly innocent accident goes from p ...more
Jennifer (NorthernLghts)
Least interesting of the series unfortunately. Reading about a environmental cover up was a little boring and I just wanted to finish it rather than looked forward to the ending. I still enjoy reading about Meg, Seth and Granfield though
Dharia Scarab
Aug 04, 2014 Dharia Scarab rated it liked it

4 sta
Lynn
Dec 26, 2013 Lynn rated it it was amazing
I have loved the Apple Orchard mysteries by Sheila Connolly and this is a wonderful addition to the series.

Meg Corey is finally feeling settled. She has survived her first harvest. She has eked a small profit from the orchard and is interested in expanding her varieties and holdings. She is getting to know many of her neighbors and is making friends. She is planting her own roots.

Then into the midst of this settling, her friend from Boston calls and asks if she can visit and if she can introduce
Fred
Jul 29, 2012 Fred rated it it was amazing
Sour Apples is the sixth book in the An Orchard Mystery series. It keeps blooming.

Spring is coming soon to the small town of Granford. Time for Meg Cory and her orchard manager, Bree, to access any damage that might have happened during the winter.

Seth is visited by neighbor, Joyce Tuesdell a dairy farmer, about soil contamination she has found on the land she she is leasing from the town of Granford. She has had a cow die from lead poisoning and would like Seth, as a Selectman for town, to lear
LORI (Dollycas) CASWELL
Jan 16, 2016 LORI (Dollycas) CASWELL rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2012
Meg Corey has settled in nicely in Granford and her future looks bright with her orchard a success and even expanding. She has made many new friends and her relationship with Seth Chapin is growing as well as her apples.

Then Meg's friend Lauren blows into town. She has left the bank and is now running the congressional campaign for a former football star from Granford. Seth has some reservations about the candidate and his campaign but there is no time to delve into those details as a local dair
Mirjam
Aug 27, 2012 Mirjam rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
A solid mystery and amiable (main) characters are what one may expect from Sheila Connolly. It's therefore always a pleasure to return to Granford and find out how Meg, Seth and all the others are doing. Not being a country girl myself, I take great delight in learning more about both country living in general and apples in particular along with our dear Meg.

In Sour Apples former Granford football hero Rick Sainsbury arrives in town with his wife. Rick plans to run for Congress and Meg's old cow
Linda Smatzny
Apr 01, 2015 Linda Smatzny rated it really liked it
This is the sixth book in the Orchard Mystery series. The main character,Meg Corey, has decided to expand her orchard. A dairy farmer is killed but no one has any idea why. Meg and Seth think the death has something to do with a field that might have dangerous chemicals in it. At the same time, a former resident of Granford is thinking about running for Congress. Meg thinks there might be a connection. The book was a quick easy read. This story was more about a cover up than murder.
Lacey
Jul 08, 2014 Lacey rated it liked it
If I could rate this more like 2.75 stars, I would. I found this to be the weakest book in the series thus far. Still well-written, don't get me wrong, but the ending came across a little rushed and a little too pat. I found myself wanting another chapter or two to flesh it out more.

I'm also not too fond of political-based stories, so I my interest wasn't as keen in this, I admit. I still liked it overall, just wish there was more to it.
Hillary
Jan 04, 2016 Hillary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love, Murder & Apples

Another great story in the Orchard series. I've read Sheila Connolly's other series and loved it, so I picked up the first Orchard Mystery. I've been reading them ever since. I love the way Meg is discovering history as she discovers more about herself. Can't wait to see what happens with the new orchard plants!
Elizabeth
Aug 01, 2013 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Diana
Jan 05, 2014 Diana rated it did not like it
This was just a really bad book. I have enjoyed most of the series, but this book took the entire series down to a new low. Unlikable characters abound in this mess. The murderer was apparent from the first two chapters. After thinking about it, I realized that Ms. Connolly is really lacking in the character development aspect of the book. Specifically, the stilted dialogue between the characters. It is as if she is an ESL writer & is just learning the language. I will not continue the serie ...more
Linda
Apr 06, 2016 Linda rated it liked it
Shelves: challenge, bingo
Another nice entry in the orchard series. This one had Meg's friend Lauren in it who was working for a political hopeful running in Meg's district. This was an interesting story and I liked that Meg and Seth were for the most part working as a team.
Marie
Sep 03, 2012 Marie rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with the Orchard Mystery series earlier this year, and was eager to get my hands on this one. I was not disappointed! Meg is such a fun character, with so many exciting things going on in her life, and all of her friends add so much to the story. With politics being a big part of this book, I was a little worried. Imagine my surprise when it ended up being one of my favorite parts of the story!

The book is full of fun apple and orchard facts and information, great food, a little p
Dee Schwinn
Nov 17, 2014 Dee Schwinn rated it liked it
Sour Apples was a good mystery which was a part of a series I believe but it was ok as a stand alone. The characters were believable. It got into organic farming, politics, old grudges and a little romance thrown in to keep the reader interested.
David J. Belliveau
Excellent

I gave this book five stars because it deserved it. The characters are very entertaining and enjoyable. The author is very talented. I would recommend it to anyone.
Penny McGill
Nov 07, 2014 Penny McGill added it
Shelves: cozy
I do judge books by their covers. I am a bad person. I grab paperbacks in a hurry based on their titles and authors and then I sort through to decide which ones I will take home. I left this one on the shelf more than once and then one day made a connection to the Orchard mysteries with Meg and decided to try it. I was thrilled. It was clever and real and had a main character who doesn't have perfect hair that bounces while she walks and a trio of great friends to support her, you know what I me ...more
Kim
Nov 27, 2014 Kim rated it it was amazing
A full year of apple farming is done, and spring is here again. I very much appreciate this accurate apple orchard series. Plus, some mystery and a great cast of characters.
Denise Jimenez
Jan 11, 2015 Denise Jimenez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sour apples

Once again I am happy book 6 is great. Msg finally made 2 big decisions and I am happy with the outcome. You'll have to read the book to find out
Sharon
Apr 30, 2014 Sharon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended to me. I thought I would be reading an exciting mystery. The book was slow and it didn't hold my interest. I won't be reading any more of this series.
April Suter
Jun 29, 2015 April Suter rated it liked it
Meg is planting new trees in her orchard and a murder happens nearby at a dairy farm. Seth helps solve the murder.
  • Beef Stolen-Off (A Clueless Cook Mystery, #2)
  • Red Velvet Revenge (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #4)
  • A Killer Maize (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #4)
  • The Diva Digs Up the Dirt (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #6)
  • Lost and Fondue (A Cheese Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Allergic to Death (A Gourmet De-Lite Mystery, #1)
  • A Brew to a Kill (Coffeehouse Mystery, #11)
  • Plan Bee (A Queen Bee Mystery, #3)
  • Drop Dead Chocolate (Donut Shop Mystery, #7)
  • One Book in the Grave (Bibliophile Mystery #5)
  • The Scarlet Pepper (A White House Gardener Mystery, #2)
  • Killer Crust (Pizza Lovers, #5)
  • Freezer I'll Shoot (Vintage Kitchen Mystery, #3)
Sheila Connolly has taught art history, structured and marketed municipal bonds for major cities, worked as a staff member on two statewide political campaigns, and served as a fundraiser for several non-profit organizations. She also managed her own consulting company providing genealogical research services. Now a full-time writer, she thinks writing mysteries is a lot more fun than any of her p ...more
More about Sheila Connolly...

Orchard (9 books)
  • One Bad Apple (Orchard, #1)
  • Rotten to the Core (Orchard, #2)
  • Red Delicious Death (Orchard, #3)
  • A Killer Crop (Orchard, #4)
  • Bitter Harvest (Orchard, #5)
  • Golden Malicious (Orchard, #7)
  • Picked to Die (Orchard, #8)
  • A Gala Event (Orchard, #9)