Start by marking “The DC Comics Encyclopedia” as Want to Read:
The DC Comics Encyclopedia

The DC Comics Encyclopedia

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  1,710 ratings  ·  57 reviews
As a unique, one-volume encyclopedia of more than 1,000 characters created by DC Comics, this is the book that all comic book fans have been waiting for! Featuring some of DC's most creative artists and heroes and villains from the world famous to lesser known one-offs, this thrilling, one-of-a-kind guide has comic book history exploding off every page.
Published 2006 by Dorling Kindersley (first published October 4th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The DC Comics Encyclopedia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The DC Comics Encyclopedia

Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen
I found this less like a go to encyclopedia but more of a display piece. Every page was just so beautiful that I couldn't stifle my fangirling squeals.

It's nice to discover new characters and relive your favourite heroes and villains' moments. I did find that some information were lacking but I just can't give this less than 5 stars because of its beauty and the aura it gives off.

With the Internet being a faster and more updated sorce of knowledge, this will soon become obsolete, but I don't c
Randy Lander
Now that's what I'm talking about. For the longest time, I've bemoaned the seeming inability of DC or Marvel to capture the glory that lay in their guidebooks to their respective universes, the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe and DC Who's Who. Given today's lax continuity approach, they're not necessary (if they ever were), but it is still frustrating to see them replaced by half-assed versions like Marvel's Encyclopedias or current flimsy pamphlets trying to pass as the Handbooks, or D ...more
John Yelverton
An essential addition to any comic book fans library.
Daniel A.
Mar 24, 2013 Daniel A. rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: true, bordering-on-obsessive comics enthusiasts
The DC Comics Encyclopedia: The Definitive Guide to the Characters of the DC Universe mostly served to remind me why I've basically given up reading mainstream comics, at least from the so-called "Big Two", and certainly new ones from the "Big Two".

Compiled by veteran comics professionals Scott Beatty, Robert Greenberger (Goodreads' entry for this title is incorrect in listing his name as Greenburger), and Phil Jimenez, along with DK Publishing's specialist Daniel Wallace, The DC Comics Encyclop
Cat Springer
Already outdated but gorgeous comic books encyclopedia of the DC Universe by famed & popular DK Publishers. Trying to remember Eclipso and why he has such attitude? Ever wondered what Lois Lane's middle name (Joanne) and true eye color is (blue)? Startled that the Joker actually has a "girlfriend" and that she's still alive ("I am NOT a doormat, Mistah J! I?")? Then this is your one-stop shop for the sillier of the two long-standing comic universes, DC. Filled with minutia and busting ...more

(More pictures at

This is the 2008 edition of The DC Comics Encyclopedia, and it looks very comprehensive. Over 1000 characters are packed into this 400-page hardcover.

The characters are arranged alphabetically so they are pretty easy to find, and all are illustrated with beautiful images from original comic books. Since there are so many characters, the lesser known ones get only a small entry. It's a very good read with lots of interesting details on character background.

I was heartbroken to read under the entry for Bouncing Boy that:
. . . Bouncing Boy has yet to leave his mark in other Legion timelines. In the reality created after the events of Zero Hour, Chuck Taine [Bouncing Boy's secret identity:] worked with the Legion as an engineer and mechanic, but did not demonstrate any of his signature bouncing abilities.
How come every time they revamp a comic universe they ruin my favorite characters? Come on, a Legion of Super-Heroes without Bouncing Boy?!? It mak
Crooked Little Vein has become one of my guilty pleasures, and thankfully I found the book at a good price in a used bookstore. For as many times as the book made me grin, laugh, or just shake my head there were times I felt like I should feel slightly ashamed reading the story.

The sound bite description of the plot is this. PI Mike McGill is hired by the President’s Chief of Staff to find a long lost (about 50 year lost) book that is the secret constitution of the U.S. By reading this book at l
May 07, 2008 Roberta rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: DC comics enthusiasts
Shelves: graphicnovel
This source was somewhat disappointing for me. Yes, it has all of the characters you would think of although John Constantine does not get his own separate entry oddly enough. The descriptions don't do justice to the history of characters like Superman and Wonder Woman. Most of the details of these icons are cursory of the past half century or so and much more detailed about the current incarnation. Most of the pre-Crisis history of any character still active post-Crisis is very cursory.

Eric Klee
This is a beautiful, giant-sized coffee table book for any fan of DC Comics. It gives you an in-depth, yet succinct, account of DC Comics' heroes, villains, and those in between. It provides their statistics and a well-written history for each. Each entry is dotted with images from the actual comics across the years. Also included are entries for important events in the DC Universe, such as the Crisis on Infinite Earths.

The downside? None of the facts and figures in this book are relevant anymor
My mom and dad gave me this book, "The DC Comics Encyclopedia" for Christmas in 2010 along with The Marvel Encyclopedia. I love both of them.

Just like the Marvel book, you can look up anybody that's in DC Comics stories or movies and read everything you would ever want to know about them. You can look up Superman, Batman, or any others and that includes the villains and other characters and creatures. It gives information about what they look like (there are pictures for most all of them), their
In an effort to put together a resource book for the various characters populating the DC universe, this tome reflects the futility of such a gesture. While two-page spreads cover a few moments and stories involved with big name heroes and villains, many others are shafted into three-paragraph entries that do not tell the full story. The book itself is filled with numerous editorial mistakes, from duplicate text to mislabeled team rosters to errant character information. The updated version fare ...more
It was difficult to pin a start & finish date to this book (as well as similar books such as the Marvel Encyclopedia & Froud's Fairy Brooks) because I'm always using them for reference.
Cat Springer
Brandon Ilano
As a major DC fan,I would really recommend this book to anyone that likes comics. Whether they are new to comics or have read comics before.
Marcus Vinicius Medeiros
The DC Comics Encyclopedia is everything the name says: a complete guide to everything about the fantastic world of DC characters and universe, focusing on super-heroes and villains, major stories and battles. Ive been reading - and loving - DC Comics since my ealy childhood, and this book was very useful and full of information even for a veteran like me. Most of the characters are descripted in small entries, but the major heroes and villains like Superman and Wonder Woman receive four pages f ...more
This is a heavy book both to read and physically, it holds a lot of information on nearly each and every character however big or small their presence in the DC 'universe' they may have had. The artwork and presentation are faultless though as you can imagine some of the more prominent characters their entries are a little sparse. However what it lacks in details it makes up in other ways.
Its hard going and almost impossible to read from one end to the other in one go - it really is a reference
Kaleb Goldbeck
A book that gives almost every Dc comics character up to 2008 ( I think ) with the Marvel version, you can become the ultimate fan.
I'll tell you one thing about comic book writers: They are totally fine with multiple characters having the same name.
May 05, 2015 SAIDOU SAVADOGO marked it as to-read
Shelves: superman
I'm not the biggest fan of DC Comics, but the book was pretty enjoyable.
Awesome but I'd love an updated version for the new 52 stuff
Rozeltte Vermeulen
I'm a Marvel girl myself, but I really love this!
Makes for a nice coffee table book, but the information contained within quickly goes out of date if you're a fan of the continuity of the DC Universe.
With DC rebooting everything with thir new 52 Universe, it makes the info contained in the book pretty much obsolete.
Still, a nice book to have if you're a fan of the "history" of what came before and at what time.
I liked it so much I gave it away to a friend whom I knew would enjoy it.
So yeah, I guess it makes a nice gift.
I knew I should have got
after looking at this i can conclude that i am more of a marvel fan than dc the characters are so cheezy and kinda dumb i just don't know i think there are only a handful of characters that are interesting
A great guide to everything in the DC Comics universe. This books works a lot better than the Marvel equivalent. As each history is dealt with a character at a time it means you don't have to read through lots of history that you're not interested in whereas Marvel was done year by year which left you reading through lots of stuff you weren't interested in just to get to info on your favourite comics, characters and storylines.
Mar 26, 2008 Ren rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Comic Lovers
Shelves: all-dc
Funny story, I found this in my school library and kept coming back to look at it. Eventually I got it as a gift and it has since been a valuable book to a comic reader like myself. While it does leave out minor characters, the Encyclopia ultimately shows the wide variety and vast expansion of the DC Universe. With plenty of solid information and wonderful art, the DC Comics Encyclopedia is a must have for comic readers everywhere.
Shawn Fairweather
Awesome reference book for nearly all characters and major events up to 2008. Beautiful artwork and layout. Some characters I would have liked to have seen more detail but I understand the need to contain the universe to some standards. Worthy of being a coffee table book for all to see.
A nice and thorough encyclopedia of DC characters, contains ijformative summaries of all characters within, expanding on more popular ones (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and the Flash to name a few). For those who have an interest in the subject, it is a nice reference book.
  • The Marvel Encyclopedia
  • DC Comics Year by Year: A Visual Chronicle
  • Marvel Encyclopedia
  • Mythology: The DC Comics Art of Alex Ross
  • DC Comics Ultimate Character Guide
  • DC Comics Covergirls
  • X-Men: The Ultimate Guide (Third Edition)
  • The Essential Batman Encyclopedia
  • Star Wars Year by Year: A Visual Chronicle
  • Blackest Night: Black Lantern Corps, Vol. 1
  • Wonder Woman: The Hiketeia
  • Wonder Woman: Paradise Found
Batgirl: Year One The Batman Handbook Batman: The Ultimate Guide to the Dark Knight The Avengers: The Ultimate Guide to Earth's Mightiest Heroes Wonder Woman: The Ultimate Guide to The Amazon Princess