A Cotswold Ordeal (Thea Osborne, #2)

A Cotswold Ordeal (Thea Osborne #2)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Thea Osborne embarks on her second house-sitting commission with very few worries. The Phillipses are obviously a laid back family, and there is little to do but tend an ailing old pony and feed various furry pets and farmyard birds. But it seems she is jinxed. An apparent suicide takes place in one of the barns. Set in the most southern part of the Cotswolds, known for it...more
Published 2006 by Allison & Busby Limited (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about A Cotswold Ordeal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Cotswold Ordeal

Vicki
Spent all of today reading it while it rained outside, not a better way to spend the day!! Well written mystery that will keep you guessing.
Michael Harling
This wasn't the death-race, heart pounding sort of police thriller I usually read; it was more of a quiet who-don-it puzzle, and a good one, at that. I would like to point out that the actual who-did-it seemed, to me, to come out of left field, but maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

This series is set in the Cotswolds and involves a professional house-sitter named Thea who has the bad luck to stumble upon a dead body at every house she turns up at. (Hey, it could happen--look at the mayhem tha...more
Cathy Cole
First Line: It was difficult to avoid the conclusion that Hepzibah did not initially like it at Juniper Court.

Hepzibah the cocker spaniel is accompanying Thea Osborne on her second housesitting assignment in the beautiful area of the Cotswolds in England. Although the dog isn't enthused with the geese that quickly come to threaten them in the yard, Thea is looking forward to staying at Juniper Court.

The Phillips family seems very laid back and casual, and if Mrs. Phillips seems a bit rushed, mos...more
Heidi
A Cotswold Ordeal is the second in the Cotswold Mysteries by Rebecca Tope. Thea is at her second housesitting assignment when she discovers a young man hanging from the rafters of one of the barns. A suicide? In the meantime, her sister stays with her at the house called Juniper Court while spending some needed time away from her abusive husband. The two sisters cannot seem to help becoming involved in the story of this Cotswold village while Thea also seems to become more involved with DI Phil...more
Ali
I enjoyed this second installemnt much more than the first one. I thought Thea was a much more engaging character this time, and it was nice meeting her sister Jocelyn too. Poor Thea and her faithful dog Hepzibah do have rather a tough time of it in this mystery as they get themselves involved in the crime that seems to have taken place at the property that Thea's looking after. There are plenty of suspicious characters to mull over, and some nice facts about canals - which Thea loves (as do I)...more
Lynda Hunter
I really enjoyed this book, just as I did the first in this series. I like the central character and I enjoy the setting of the stories. They are light reading but very enjoyable reading and I will read more.
Tania Peacey
Admittedly only my favourite of these ones because I grew up in Frampton Mansell, But they are easy reads.
Lynda
An enjoyable mystery, the second (though I have not read the first) in a mystery series which we picked up in London two years ago. Brought it with me to leave with Joe's mom when done. I liked the main character, Thea, and found her to be agreeable. I was very upset at the death of the cat (in the first few pages) and surprised at the roiling machinations beneath the tranquil Cotswald village surface. I would read her again, if I found another copy around. Had to switch my brain to British idio...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This second book in the enjoyable series was a marked improvement to me. We now know a bit about the Sleuth and her feelings but it adds another personal dimension to her by introducing a Sister with real- life problems.

The fact that a murder occurs on the property that the sleuth is house-sitting for and then saddled with the Sister adds more drama.

The book also informs and describes the famous canal system that goes throughout the U.K. It definitely adds to the mystery in many ways.

I look fo...more
Denita
Love this series!
Dot
I'm always pleased to be introduced to a new writer of English Mysteries so I was happy to be given this book by Rebecca Tope. Thea is a single woman who offers herself as a housesitter but she has a nasty habit of getting involved in murder in the house she is looking after. This is a pleasant light read and I will be looking for more in this series.
Jenny Stratton
When I started reading this I was interested in the details of the Thames and Severn Canal that were part of Thea's exploration. They went to Daneway, a flight of locks and Sapperton Tunnel. The person who passed the book to me had no idea it would tick this box of my interest in canal restoration. So it was a pleasant read but I can't say that the detective story was that exciting.
Kay
The second book in a very enjoyable series. Having visited the Cotswolds, the descriptions of this beautiful area thrills the heart. Thea, who only wants a quiet time house-sitting in the country, can't avoid adventure. Along with her sister, they fall right into undercurrents of the workings of a rural community. Looking forward to reading more in this series.
Kirsty Darbyshire

Whenever I tell Amazon I like Rebecca Tope's books it proceeds to recommend me a load of hideously cosy sounding mysteries. This series revolves around a housesitter in the Cotswolds but I wouldn't class them as outright "cozies". Very enjoyable, well written and pretty well plotted.

Karen
Found this ok but have now read a couple of these and find they are all a bit the same. This is a very light - easy - go read. Thea is back again but this time she is looking after a farmhouse while the family are abroad. A body is found and an investigation starts.
Monica

Much better than the first in this series, so glad I continued with this series. I saw something deep in the first book so was hoping for improvement and book two is a much easier read. Will seek out book three now.

peace.
Ceri
Thea, the main heroine does grate on me a little, but this was an enjoyable read. My neighbour bought the whole series at a car boot so I'll be working my way through as she finishes them!
Karren
A really enjoyable light read, an interesting setting and the main character Thea has some interesting relationships and a great instinct for crime solving
Clare
much, much better than book 1. I'm glad I decided to give it a shot.
Stina Smith
Slow to start but ending up thoroughly enjoyable.
Lily
Lily marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Rebecca Tope grew up on a farm and has held a wide variety of jobs, such as pre-natal instructor, marriage counselor, and funeral director, all of which have taught her a great deal about human nature. In 1992, she founded Praxis Books, a small British press.
More about Rebecca Tope...
A Cotswold Killing (Thea Osborne, #1) A Cotswold Mystery (Thea Osborne, #4) Death in the Cotswolds (Thea Osborne, #3) Blood in the Cotswolds (Thea Osborne, #5) Slaughter in the Cotswolds (Thea Osborne, #6)