13 Shots of Noir

13 Shots of Noir

4.57 of 5 stars 4.57  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  9 reviews
English writer Paul D Brazill's 13 Shots Of Noir is a collection of short stories in the vein of Roald Dahl, The Twilight Zone and Alfred Hitchcock Presents. The first story, "The Tut", was nominated for a 2010 Spinetingler Award, while the story "Anger Management" was chosen as one of the Predators and Editors top twenty crime stories.

Crime, horror and dark fiction are co...more
Published November 19th 2011 by Untreed Reads

St Patrick's Day Special by J.J. TonerA Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle13 Shots of Noir by Paul D. BrazillSleepyhead by Mark BillinghamThe Wire In The Blood by Val McDermid
British Crime Fiction Writers
3rd out of 38 books — 20 voters
Liverpool 5 by Luca VesteGatsby's Smile by Morana BlueBrit Grit by Paul D. BrazillDirty Old Town and Other Stories by Nigel BirdThe Lost Children by Thomas Pluck
These guys can write!
14th out of 14 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

Darren Sant
Somewhere in a small dark room, possibly in an underground bunker, there is a man. This man studies, with an intelligent gaze, a bank of video screens. He sips slowly at polish vodka and watches. This man sees all human life. He sees parading before him a cast of serial killers, priests, kids with dogs, old curmudgeons and hen pecked husbands. When he’s done observing human life on special monitors he also sees vampires and werewolves. Occasionally he’ll push a button or scribble a line of text...more
Jaden Terrell
In Paul D. Brazill's 13 SHOTS OF NOIR, horror comes in small packages. Brazill has a gift for description ("Duffy's face was so acne scarred it looked like a chewed up toffee apple") and for capturing the darker side of human nature in a few pages. The juxtaposition of dry humor and a bleak, "noir" landscape works well. The story I enjoyed most was "The Tut," which explores the destructive and punitive power of guilt. It received a well-deserved nomination for a Spinetingler award in 2010. Other...more
K.A. Laity
Plenty of Brazill-dazzle! This collection turned an annoying day of delayed travel into great fun. Although I had read some of the stories before in other places, there were plenty of new treats as well. By turns funny and gruesome, you'll enjoy these short bursts of darkness if you've got a good sense of humour and a taste for noir.
J.J. Toner
This is a real treat. Sharp, original writing with a thick dressing of North-eastern English dialogue that never disappoints. Each of the 13 stories is a miniature of the genre. Read and enjoy and then re-read to discover those hidden gems of language. The humour is every bit as keen as Tinniswood, the language as colourful as Chandler; combine these in plots that are contemporary and hard-bitten, and you have the unique voice of Paul D. Brazill.
Nigel Bird
Thirteen shots of noir to warm your insides, whether the shots are booze or bullet holes (take your pick). Every one hit's the target and you'd expect no less from one of the best writers of noir fiction around. Get on the train before everyone else piles on.

Wonderful stuff.
Tony
I bought this book because I have read a few of Mr Brazill’s stories in anthologies that I enjoyed. Most of the Noir stories I have read are American in feel and content. These stories are British in both respects. The dark humour and the banter could only be British. My personal favourite was a line about Gary Glitter. I won’t spoil it for you, but it got me some funny looks as I sat on a bench by the river giggling to myself. I loved the British feel and it drew me right inside the stories.

Eac...more
Karen
Dark, funny, dark, clever, funny, dark and absolutely brilliant, 13 SHOTS OF NOIR is a short story collection blurbed as in the "vein of Roald Dahl". I need to go back and read Dahl. Unless Brazill's got more of these collections.

Short, sharp and lyrical, these are dark dark dark little morsels, gloriously British in feel, funny where required, poignant where appropriate. Cleverly balanced between sharply observant and a bit of sly commentary on the "human condition", there's really not a bad on...more
Keith Nixon
Superb collection of shorts by the flash fiction master.

An excellent collection of short stories from Mr Brazill, the quality of the prose is some of the best out there. He writes with a practised and consummate ease that shines through each crafted sentence. There isn't a bad story among the 13 in fact they range from very good to excellent. Some are darkly humorous, some tough as nails. Here's an example of the writing:

The autumn night draped itself over the city, and the moon bit into the sk...more
Jason Beech
13 Shots of Noir is a very funny, twisted, and sometimes sick collection of short stories. It starts and ends with noises: The Tut, about a man haunted by his wife's tutting, and Thump, about a landlord's man-mad daughter locked up in the cellar. Creepy and full of lewd humour. Fantastic stuff.

But the filling is full of noir-trition (I'll get me coat), with The Man Behind the Curtain and The Sins of the Father providing the laughs, The Final Cut the horror, and The Friend Catcher the heart.

The c...more
Ismael Galvan
Ismael Galvan marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Frida Karo
Frida Karo marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2014
Amgchesis
Amgchesis marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2013
Jocelyne Rousseau
Jocelyne Rousseau marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2013
Warren Stalley
Warren Stalley marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2013
Chris Ripley
Chris Ripley marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2013
Lily Gardner
Lily Gardner is currently reading it
Jun 05, 2013
Mike
Mike added it
Jun 04, 2013
D.S. Nelson
D.S. Nelson marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2013
Carla
Carla marked it as to-read
May 03, 2013
Ipsith
Ipsith marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2013
Ivan Cardona
Ivan Cardona marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2013
Cathryn
Cathryn marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2013
Randy
Randy marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2013
Jimmy Burrell
Jimmy Burrell marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Paul D. Brazill is the author of A Case Of Noir, Guns Of Brixton & Roman Dalton- Werewolf PI. He was born in England and lives in Poland.

He is an International Thriller Writers Inc member whose writing has been translated into Italian, Polish and Slovene.

He has had writing published in various magazines and anthologies, including The Mammoth Books of Best British Crime 8,10 and 11, alongside...more
More about Paul D. Brazill...
Drunk on the Moon Near To The Knuckle Presents: Gloves Off Gumshoe Brit Grit True Brit Grit