Start by marking “Savage Atonement ” as Want to Read:
Savage Atonement

Savage Atonement

3.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  88 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
She wanted to punish him--not love him!

When she was fifteen Laurel had been the victim of an attempted rape, and Oliver Savage was the reporter who had twisted her story, tearing her reputation to shreds and leaving her fearful of every man who came too near.

Now, six years later, he was anxious to right his wrong. "I want to help you, Laurel", he'd offered. But Laurel didn
Paperback, Harlequin Presents #650, 190 pages
Published December 1983 by Harlequin Books (first published November 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Savage Atonement, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Savage Atonement

Leona
Dec 20, 2012 Leona rated it liked it
Shelves: hqn-presents
Wow.. This book should come with a label "READER BEWARE". I don't know what to say about it...there were moments that were absolutely gripping, and then there were moments that I wanted to throw it against the wall. But the gripping outweighed the wall........so I guess I'll go for a thumbs up, but with some trepidation.

Laurel was a young girl almost raped by her drunken step-father. Social services come to the rescue and remove her from her home where her own mother, ridden with guilt, decides
sbf20112011
Jan 02, 2013 sbf20112011 rated it really liked it
I liked this one, but you really have to be able to overlook some terrible things about the hero. For instance, at the beginning we learn that the hero is "renowned for his dislike of the present rape laws; claims that in ninety cases out of a hundred the men have been led on and aren't totally to blame." Wow, of all the things to be "renowned" for, it has to be being against rape laws? And anyway, the stepfather attacked the heroine when she was just 15 (and he was her stepfather) -- who even c ...more
KC

I felt more emphasis was placed on Laurel's emotional healing than the romance. I appreciated how Oliver and Laurel's relationship had to develop slowly considering her fragile emotional state. It just didn't make for the most exciting or romantic read although the angst and plot line still held my interest.

I sympathized with Laurel, and really liked how she gained a stronger sense of identity and confidence before finding her happy ending with Oliver. I thought it increased their chanc
Kay
Mar 06, 2012 Kay rated it really liked it
Shelves: print
4 1/2 Stars! ~ This is an intensely emotional story of a young woman deeply repressed from a horrible attack when she was a teenager. It's been six years since the attack, and Laurel meets again the journalist that tore her character apart in the press, claiming she provoked her attack. Shortly after writing the article that completed Laurel's destruction, Oliver learned that she had been telling the truth, and for the past six years he's been searching for her to make atonement. He's shocked to ...more
Jasbell76
Jan 29, 2016 Jasbell76 marked it as to-avoid
Heroine was almost raped/attacked by his stepfather :'(
Corandra

"Caricias prohibidas"

Amanda Sheila
If only.

This book could be so much better if Laurel didn't fall too easily in love with Oliver. I liked the way Oliver's guilt eating him for more than five years, he deserves it. But I was hoping the author wrote it with details so I can float away with the story.

I don't enjoy the ending. Need more details and I think Laurel's too meek. Could be so much better.
Jenny
Jul 22, 2015 Jenny rated it liked it
Touching love story, loving characters.
Mudpie
Nov 09, 2015 Mudpie rated it liked it
I know this book is written in the 80s but victim-shaming is very much still happening these days.While I appreciate what Oliver went through to make him feel what he did when the crime happened to Laurel, I cannot forgive or accept that here he is trying to make amends knowing he WAS wrong, yet whenever he's frustrated he said the EXACT most hurtful words to make Laurel feel ashamed. Plot wise that's my issue but all in an angsty story. RIP Penny Jordan.
لقاء السعدي
قرأتها مترجمة للعربية
العدد رقم 004 من سلسلة روايات عبير
الصادرة عن دار الكتاب العربي
و تحمل اسم " لعنة الماضي "

رشحتها لي صديقة

Feb 08, 2015 Lyss added it
horrifying
Sapheron
Dec 20, 2012 Sapheron rated it liked it
I read this over two years ago and forgot to rate it. It packs an emotional punch, it sure does.
Racheal Lachman
Racheal Lachman rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2016
ALICE EVANS
ALICE EVANS rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Clare
Clare added it
Jun 03, 2016
Deem
Deem marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Jaya
Jaya added it
Apr 19, 2016
Prakriti Davesharma
Prakriti Davesharma is currently reading it
Apr 03, 2016
Alina Bu
Alina Bu rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2016
Shereen Hossam
Shereen Hossam marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
Yesmin Ahmed
Yesmin Ahmed rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2016
Kushal Rai
Kushal Rai rated it did not like it
Mar 03, 2016
Faltu Fully
Faltu Fully marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
franziska hayes
franziska hayes rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2016
H
H marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Sakina
Sakina marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
19687
Penelope Jones Halsall
aka Caroline Courtney, Annie Groves, Lydia Hitchcock, Melinda Wright

Penelope "Penny" Jones was born on November 24, 1946 at about seven pounds in a nursing home in Preston, Lancashire, England. She was the first child of Anthony Winn Jones, an engineer, who died at 85, and his wife Margaret Louise Groves Jones. She has a brother, Anthony, and a sister, Prudence "Pru".

She had
More about Penny Jordan...