In Too Deep (America's Bravest, #1)

In Too Deep (America's Bravest #1)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  931 ratings  ·  82 reviews
IN TOO DEEP is the first novella in Shay’s powerful, new anthology, AMERICA’S BRAVEST (All six novellas are available in a boxed set).

In the Hidden Cove Fire Department, Gabe Malvaso is a favorite among firefighters. He’s tough, fair, has a good sense of humor and loves his work. But for eighteen months, he’s avoided a member of his crew, Firefighter Rachel Wellington, des...more
Published November 16th 2011 (first published November 1st 2011)

Erin
Find this and other reviews at: http://flashlightcommentary.blogspot....

I have a love hate relationship with this freebie. On one hand, I really appreciate the depiction of firefighting as an occupation. Shay covered a fire, a flood, a car accident and a medical emergency but she didn't forget that these men and women, much like those is in the military, spend a lot of waiting around for something to happen. Obviously, the author did her homework.

On the other hand, I don't buy two firefighters...more
Zinaid
As a reader: While I'm aware that this is a short story the ending was too abrupt for me. There were too many characters and you don't get to know them at all. The villain in the story gets very little background, why did she start this smear campaign against the FD?

As a firefighter: I appreciate the showcasing of strong female firefighters. She did a great job in capturing the camaraderie between a firehouse family. The sex scene made me laugh out loud. As someone who's had to deal with smoke...more
Amy Denim
Firefighters Gabe Malvaso and Rachel 'Princess' Wellington are trapped in the basement of a burning building when more than sparks ignite between them.
(Wow, I should write cover blurbs)

I love, love, love that this book (the first in a series) features women firefighters. Yay, girl power! There should be more books out there, like Kathryn Shay's, that feature strong, sensible (yet sensitive) heroines like Rachel. Be gone simpering virgins! Now is the era of the true heroine!
(I love exclamation ma...more
Carrie
I like Kathryn Shay and loved her Firefighter trilogy (starts with After the Fire), but In Too Deep just isn't long enough to build the characters or the tension needed to pull off an emotional "forbidden love" story. The series is linked to the previous trilogy, and while you don't have to know those stories to enjoy this one, it's nice to have the background information. there is nothing glaringly wrong with this short story (although having sex in an improbably place didn't earn the author po...more
Adele Symonds
This was a really good novella. All the firefighters characters were true to life in work and recreation situations. The rescues were depicted extremely well and the forbidden love plot was excellent, the sub-plot of the blogger who was denegrading them was something a little different which added extra meat to the story. I will definitely be reading more by this author.
My only complaint was that it ended too soon, I wanted to read more about about Gabe and Rachel.
I give this book a very good 4....more
Pamela(AllHoney)
Lots of potential and not bad but it was too short. I realize this is a short novella but with so many characters and so much going on, there wasn't enough to develop the story to my liking. But it was still a decent read. Captain Gabe Malvaso has been attracted to Rachel Wellington for some time, but being firefighters working at the same station makes it impossible to explore. Then while stuck in a basement together and not knowing if they will get out, they both confess their attraction and t...more
Anna Hammes
I thought the beginning dragged on a little bit with the description of each character. Though, it became interesting to read about the daily life of a firefighter's job, their love life, family, and personal time outside of work. I enjoyed reading more about the firefighter lifestyle than the romance aspect of the story.
Tina
2.5 stars.

What I Liked: I especially liked the dynamic between the hero and heroine. Despite the lack of character back story, I really enjoyed them both together and apart. They were endearing for me based on what I knew about them. I also really liked the female firefighters twist. That's just Win right there.

What I Didn't Like: It may seem cruel but, everything not mentioned above. I felt the dialog was contrived, the story boring and predictable. The editing was god-awful, I felt there was s...more
Philip
This short story is in the same setting as After the Fire which I read and the rest of the trilogy, which I didn't. This helped establish the background and setting which are usually abbreviated in short stories. The main characters in this story weren't introduced in that first book, though they may be in the later books of the trilogy.

For the most part this story was much the same as what I said for the other one with regard to writing and style and such. Unfortunately, Gabe was rather annoyin...more
Sati Marie Frost
Gabe is a fire captain, and Rachel is one of the five firefighters working under him. Although they've been attracted to each other for a long time, they obviously can't act on it while they work together, particularly not when he's her commanding officer. But when they find themselves trapped in a basement with the exit blocked and their air supply slowly running out, they turn to each other for support, and instead are overcome by passion.

I really liked this story! I'm not generally a fan of t...more
Yami
It was too short for my liking, but then again it was a short story...I only realized it after the fact. tsk-tsk...

Anyway, I really thought it was interesting how in the face of danger and in the mist of their supposed impending doom Gabe Malvaso and Rachel Wellington unravel into each other at the seems. They tell each other all of their internal battles in the past and once nothing is left to tell, "enjoy each other". The genuine description of how they just savor that moment is hot! Stress re...more
Joanne
I loved this novella about firefighters...female and male. This novella was jammed packed with firefighters' duties and work habits. Maybe I'd give a better rating had I read all the firefighter novellas in America's Bravest".
Kathryn Shay has a solid grip on the world of firefighters and the written word. Looks like I'll be reading more of work.
Mazmi
Nope sorry, I'm DNF this one all over the place because it's just so boring and stupid. I can't be bothered to read on and it's just so far fetched as well I think. I mean who in there right mind is going to have sex in a basement amongst dirt and debris while running out of oxygen? Like hello that wouldn't happen and the guy is a trained firefighter. Oh and yeah after the sex scene it's like freedom they leave the building. I haven't read any further so I don't know if they get themselves trapp...more
Ida
This is what you get when you look for romance novels on Amazon's collection of free kindle books.

For a book that goes a long way to show how pro-women it is, this book can be hilariously sexist at times. Fire-fighter Rachel Wellington feels the need to hide her sexual encounter with Captain Gabe Malvaso, not only because they're co-workers but also people might think she's just another female fire-fighter who only took the job to sleep around. Meanwhile another one of their male co-worker Brody...more
Christina Montminy
it was okay, really short only 8 chapters. I wish that it would've given us a glimpse of what was to come but it might be in the next characters book. Just didn't like the way it ended so abruptly.
Vanessa Hale
I loved the book. My only problem was the ending. It felt rushed, like there was more that could have been said. But overall it was still a good book. What woman doesn't love a firefighter?
Amy
A little too graffic for me but a really good read.
Christy
Quick

fast read that did a lot of jumping from character to character. overall good story, can't wait to read the others.
Theresa Ashwell
In Too Deep was an easy and quick read. I got it free from Amazon. I'm definitely interested in reading the rest of the series. The book centered around a crush between captain and officer, which is obviously forbidden. I expected more of a love affair than the one hookup that happened. That being said, i really enjoyed the thrill and suspense of the emergency calls. Being in public safety myself surely played a part in that.
Kathryn
I really liked Kathryn Shay's After The Fall, so I grabbed this when Smashwords offered it free. In the author's note at the front of the book, she comments that it is one of her best books, so I really looked forward to readfing it. Well, I was very disappointed in it; not sure exactly why, but there was something lacking. Thankfully, it was free and only a shorter novella that I finished in about 2 days.
CAL (RadReader59)
First book I have read of this authors & very pleased. She has a nice build up of the characters, chemistry between the forbidden love interest, humor & indignation of how we treat our first responders & persons of law enforcement. I like the conflict it causes Princess & Captain due to the work situation but she wrote it in a true fashion. Wished this book was just longer a very, very quick read.
Angel **Book Junkie**
Brilliant story. I loved the suspense, the feelings, and the joy within the characters. I used to run rescue so I know how rumors can start and the media runs with it. I loved the story itself and think I will read the next one in the series. It focused on the love, anger, and even relationships within the fire department. I am so looking forward to the next one in the series.
Tiff TowelsandHearts
4 stars

It was great while it lasted.

I liked that Gabe was possessive of Rachel (even though he had no right to it) I just felt like the ending was so abrupt.

It was like:
No, we can't be together
Almost dies because of exploding car
I'll do anything for us to be together

Maybe, if Ms. Kathryn made this a bit longer, then I really would have loved this.
Kyra Harwell
This is a short simple romance novel. Great for a quick read and escape from reality for a while. I was a little disappointed to find a misspelled word and the main character's name change between Gabe and Gage!
Mary Ann
I think this book had great potential but I just could not get into it! I had to force myself to finish the book. It does have a sweet story and a happy ending. It flowed well but I just couldn't get wrapped up in the characters like I normally do. It wasn't bad writing by any means, just not for me. It was actually an easy, quick read but for me, it just wasn't interesting.
Dorel

This is the first book I read by Kathryn Shay. I like how she gives the readers an insight of how hard our firefighters job is. I like how Gabe & Rachel figured out how to make their relationship work. My kindle copy had some errors but other than that it was a nice story to read. I would read more books by this author.
christina sutton
Great Read!

As a female firefighter myself, I know exactly what this female firefighter is experiencing. An excellent book, is a must read for any fire personnel.
Caro
I really liked this book. It was a great novella with entertaining characters and emotions/temptations swirling the atmosphere. I liked reading the emergency scenes as well and the steamy ones. This was a good shorter read and would be great for anytime reading. Definitely would like to read the rest of the series. Enjoy!
Maria
Well-written and full of information on fire-fighters and their jobs, this book involves the reader quickly and has a great pace. My only complaint? It ended well before I was ready. The reader needs to guess at what happens next - or find another book by this author and hope these characters are in it.
  • Embers of Hope (Second Gift #1)
  • A Fair to Remember (Welcome to Redemption, #2)
  • Deadly Offerings (Deadly Trilogy, #1)
  • The Protector (Crossfire, #1)
  • Agents Under Fire
  • Wild Justice
  • When the Heart Falls
  • Intimate Strangers
  • Tag Team
  • Kissing Kelli  (Texas Legacy Romantic Comedy, #1)
  • Surrender at Dawn
  • Her Heart for the Asking (Texas Hearts, #1)
  • Too Darn Hot
  • A Fair of the Heart (Welcome to Redemption, #1)
  • Eye of the Abductor
  • All's Fair (A McKnight Romance, #1.5)
  • Finding Kate Huntley
  • Blind Her with Bliss
Kathryn Shay is a lifelong writer. At fifteen, she penned her first 'romance,' a short story about a female newspaper reporter in New York City and her fight to make a name for herself in a world of male journalists - and with one hardheaded editor in particular. Looking back, Kathryn says she should have known then that writing was in her future. But as so often happens, fate sent her detouring d...more
More about Kathryn Shay...
Someone to Believe In (O'Neil Family, #1) After the Fire On the Line Nothing More to Lose Taking the Heat (O'Neil Brothers #3)

“A firefighter’s job is hours of boredom, seconds of terror.” 1 likes