Start by marking “In Too Deep (America's Bravest, #1)” as Want to Read:
In Too Deep (America's Bravest, #1)

In Too Deep (Hidden Cove Firefighters Included in #4)

3.61  ·  Rating Details ·  1,934 Ratings  ·  122 Reviews
IN TOO DEEP is the first novella in Shay’s powerful, new anthology, AMERICA’S BRAVEST (All six novellas are available in a boxed set).

In the Hidden Cove Fire Department, Gabe Malvaso is a favorite among firefighters. He’s tough, fair, has a good sense of humor and loves his work. But for eighteen months, he’s avoided a member of his crew, Firefighter Rachel Wellington, des
Published November 16th 2011 (first published November 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about In Too Deep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Too Deep

Erin
Mar 16, 2012 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a love hate relationship with this freebie. On one hand, I really appreciate the depiction of firefighting as an occupation. Shay covered a fire, a flood, a car accident and a medical emergency but she didn't forget that these men and women, much like those is in the military, spend a lot of waiting around for something to happen. Obviously, the author did her homework.

On the other hand, I don't buy two firefighters going at it while trapped in the basement of burned out warehouse. I get
Arii
Feb 03, 2013 Arii rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As a reader: While I'm aware that this is a short story the ending was too abrupt for me. There were too many characters and you don't get to know them at all. The villain in the story gets very little background, why did she start this smear campaign against the FD?

As a firefighter: I appreciate the showcasing of strong female firefighters. She did a great job in capturing the camaraderie between a firehouse family. The sex scene made me laugh out loud. As someone who's had to deal with smoke
Carrie
I like Kathryn Shay and loved her Firefighter trilogy (starts with After the Fire), but In Too Deep just isn't long enough to build the characters or the tension needed to pull off an emotional "forbidden love" story. The series is linked to the previous trilogy, and while you don't have to know those stories to enjoy this one, it's nice to have the background information. there is nothing glaringly wrong with this short story (although having sex in an improbably place didn't earn the author po ...more
Pamela(AllHoney)
Lots of potential and not bad but it was too short. I realize this is a short novella but with so many characters and so much going on, there wasn't enough to develop the story to my liking. But it was still a decent read. Captain Gabe Malvaso has been attracted to Rachel Wellington for some time, but being firefighters working at the same station makes it impossible to explore. Then while stuck in a basement together and not knowing if they will get out, they both confess their attraction and t ...more
Patrice
This is a novella "prequel" to the America's Bravest series. It was nice to see where Gabe and Rachel got their start and how the Fire Belles blog got it's beginnings. I am kind of reading this series out of order; but, it's hasn't changed how rich the story is in showing how a firefighter lives day-in and day-out. The emotional highs and lows of the job as well as the physical stamina required. I liked the "back-story" and a little more insight into some of the main characters lives.
Amy Denim
Firefighters Gabe Malvaso and Rachel 'Princess' Wellington are trapped in the basement of a burning building when more than sparks ignite between them.
(Wow, I should write cover blurbs)

I love, love, love that this book (the first in a series) features women firefighters. Yay, girl power! There should be more books out there, like Kathryn Shay's, that feature strong, sensible (yet sensitive) heroines like Rachel. Be gone simpering virgins! Now is the era of the true heroine!
(I love exclamation ma
Fernanda
:)was a nice reading... but was so short and the end was so abrupt.
I think the author could developed a little more these final scenes.
we readers get the final but this is our assumption, not written!

the main characters are credible, and the day by day of a firehouse so too, revealing a good sensation of friendship and respect of their work as firefighters and how can they management the feelings that start growing.

Gabe and Rachel have to put on hold their feelings until a major one appear, that
Adele Symonds
This was a really good novella. All the firefighters characters were true to life in work and recreation situations. The rescues were depicted extremely well and the forbidden love plot was excellent, the sub-plot of the blogger who was denegrading them was something a little different which added extra meat to the story. I will definitely be reading more by this author.
My only complaint was that it ended too soon, I wanted to read more about about Gabe and Rachel.
I give this book a very good 4.
LaFleurBleue
A bit too short to completely hit the mark and have the lead characters really take a bigger dimension than just ink and paper characters. Their whole story and events seemed quite cold to me and did not succeed in making me feel emotionally attached to them.
The prep work regarding the other characters also contributed to limit the time spent on the leads and was not sufficient either to really hook me and make me feel that I absolutely need to read the other stories.
Anna
Jan 21, 2013 Anna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I thought the beginning dragged on a little bit with the description of each character. Though, it became interesting to read about the daily life of a firefighter's job, their love life, family, and personal time outside of work. I enjoyed reading more about the firefighter lifestyle than the romance aspect of the story.
Judy Karsh
Jun 30, 2017 Judy Karsh rated it it was ok
I did read this all the way through and the premise was very good, but I just could not get into the story. I found it hard to believe some of the things that happened, especially two firefighers who removed their gear to have sex in a burning building...and that they got it all back on before their rescuers made it through the wall. This book moved along too fast for all that happened and I lost interest around 75%, there were several glaring spelling and grammar mistakes that could have been a ...more
MaryLee1996
May 11, 2017 MaryLee1996 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written and quite enjoyable.
Mandi Morgan
Feb 06, 2017 Mandi Morgan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A novella. Really hooked me. Hated how it ended wanted to see more of what happened. Guess I'll keep reading the series.
Val
Jan 01, 2017 Val rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! I have a thing for firefighter books so when I saw this I'm like yeah! really good but short.
Lesley
Jun 08, 2017 Lesley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was good to have on my phone to pass the time while waiting for appointments. That's why it was a slow read.
Sati Marie Frost
Gabe is a fire captain, and Rachel is one of the five firefighters working under him. Although they've been attracted to each other for a long time, they obviously can't act on it while they work together, particularly not when he's her commanding officer. But when they find themselves trapped in a basement with the exit blocked and their air supply slowly running out, they turn to each other for support, and instead are overcome by passion.

I really liked this story! I'm not generally a fan of t
Philip
Aug 07, 2012 Philip rated it it was ok
This short story is in the same setting as After the Fire which I read and the rest of the trilogy, which I didn't. This helped establish the background and setting which are usually abbreviated in short stories. The main characters in this story weren't introduced in that first book, though they may be in the later books of the trilogy.

For the most part this story was much the same as what I said for the other one with regard to writing and style and such. Unfortunately, Gabe was rather annoyin
Kay
In Too Deep by Kathryn Shay

This was a freebie I got a long time ago and I admit,I got it because there was a fireman on the front of it. I'm a sucker for a fireman romance. This story was about a male and a female firefighter and all the elements that there are regarding these heroes becoming more than coworkers. Theses two characters were called into a fire where the stairs collapsed with them on the stairs, plummeting them to the basement. They spent several hours down there in harrowing circu
Robin
Hidden Cove Fire Captain Gabe Malvaso is popular firefighter known for being fair to the people under his command. But he does avoid one member of his crew, Firefighter Rachel Wellington. He's attracted to her but knows he has to keep their relationship professional. But when out on a call, he and Rachel become trapped in the basement of a burning building. Thinking they'll never be rescued, they confess their feelings.

I read the first three books in the Hidden Cove series several years ago and
ANITA VANVALKENBURG
Sep 09, 2016 ANITA VANVALKENBURG rated it it was amazing
Great book

Liked the interaction between firefighters and police force as they work through problems and working toward a coomon goal of setting up a camp for kids of fallen firemen andolice and forming and falling in love
Manda
Jan 27, 2013 Manda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Nope sorry, I'm DNF this one all over the place because it's just so boring and stupid. I can't be bothered to read on and it's just so far fetched as well I think. I mean who in there right mind is going to have sex in a basement amongst dirt and debris while running out of oxygen? Like hello that wouldn't happen and the guy is a trained firefighter. Oh and yeah after the sex scene it's like freedom they leave the building. I haven't read any further so I don't know if they get themselves trapp ...more
M3tamorphasis11
It was too short for my liking, but then again it was a short story...I only realized it after the fact. tsk-tsk...

Anyway, I really thought it was interesting how in the face of danger and in the mist of their supposed impending doom Gabe Malvaso and Rachel Wellington unravel into each other at the seems. They tell each other all of their internal battles in the past and once nothing is left to tell, "enjoy each other". The genuine description of how they just savor that moment is hot! Stress re
Lauren
Jul 01, 2015 Lauren rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit I picked this book due to the firefighter on front. As a volunteer firefighter I enjoy reading stories involving people that get paid to do what I have grown to love. With that being said, all the friendly relationships seemed to hit their mark but the sex scene was a joke. Who would even think about anything intimate while stuck in a building with limited air? That just seems crazy to me! Also, there is not enough about the characters. Why is that woman against the department? W ...more
Kim
Dec 14, 2016 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book free from Amazon and I am voluntarily writing a review. I love Kathryn Shay's books and this is no exception. Racheal is a female firefighter in Hidden Cove fire department and she has had a crush for the last 18 months on her Captain Gabe. No fraternization between officers and crew those are the rules. While called out to an empty fire engulfed building Racheal and Gabe are trapped in the basement and no one knows they are there. They are sure they are going to die and off ...more
Garth Mailman
By Kathryn Shay

In Too Deep is an extremely popular book title. The Romance Genre is a major employer of hunky models though most wear far fewer clothes. No word on whether this one actually fights fires or just lights them.

A pair of fire-fighters trapped in an enclosed space and running out of oxygen do the deed. He’s her captain. After all that hot action the rest of the novella is about what happens after their rescue.

A very different type of fire story from Larry Brown’s On Fire and not jus
Denise
Mar 15, 2015 Denise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-goal
'In Too Deep' is a great novella with a story that has a huge impact. The storyline is great. Full of truth about how the everyday life of a firefighter is full of risk and criticism. I couldn't put it down. Gabe and Rachel's story was intense. This is the first book I've read in this series, but it definitely won't be the last. I look forward to reading more stories of the great characters and the brave and heroic men and women surrounding this series. A great add to your tbr list.
Kathryn
Nov 19, 2011 Kathryn rated it it was ok
I really liked Kathryn Shay's After The Fall, so I grabbed this when Smashwords offered it free. In the author's note at the front of the book, she comments that it is one of her best books, so I really looked forward to readfing it. Well, I was very disappointed in it; not sure exactly why, but there was something lacking. Thankfully, it was free and only a shorter novella that I finished in about 2 days.
Char (1RadReader59)
First book I have read of this authors & very pleased. She has a nice build up of the characters, chemistry between the forbidden love interest, humor & indignation of how we treat our first responders & persons of law enforcement. I like the conflict it causes Princess & Captain due to the work situation but she wrote it in a true fashion. Wished this book was just longer a very, very quick read.
Theresa Ashwell
Mar 03, 2013 Theresa Ashwell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Too Deep was an easy and quick read. I got it free from Amazon. I'm definitely interested in reading the rest of the series. The book centered around a crush between captain and officer, which is obviously forbidden. I expected more of a love affair than the one hookup that happened. That being said, i really enjoyed the thrill and suspense of the emergency calls. Being in public safety myself surely played a part in that.
Maria
Apr 05, 2012 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, read-more-by
Well-written and full of information on fire-fighters and their jobs, this book involves the reader quickly and has a great pace. My only complaint? It ended well before I was ready. The reader needs to guess at what happens next - or find another book by this author and hope these characters are in it.
  • Embers of Hope (Second Gift, #1)
  • Until You
  • Love in Bloom
  • Tag Team
  • Meg's Moment
  • Mr. Right For The Night
  • The New Deputy in Town (Whitehorse Montana, #2)
  • A Fair to Remember (Welcome to Redemption, #2)
  • Needing Nita (Serve and Protect, #3.5)
  • A Fair of the Heart (Welcome to Redemption, #1)
  • Imposter (The Protectors #1)
  • Dodge the Bullet
  • The Black Sheep (New Moon Bay, #1)
  • In the Spotlight (Mayne Attraction, #1)
  • Wild Justice
  • Fallen Angel
  • Wild for You (Tropical Heat, #2)
  • Aiden's Bayou
Kathryn Shay is a lifelong writer. At fifteen, she penned her first 'romance,' a short story about a female newspaper reporter in New York City and her fight to make a name for herself in a world of male journalists - and with one hardheaded editor in particular. Looking back, Kathryn says she should have known then that writing was in her future. But as so often happens, fate sent her detouring d ...more
More about Kathryn Shay...

Hidden Cove Firefighters (7 books)
  • After the Fire (Hidden Cove Firefighters, #1)
  • On the Line (Hidden Cove Firefighters, #2)
  • Nothing More to Lose (Hidden Cove Firefighters, #3)
  • It Had To Be You  (Hidden Cove Firefighters, #5)
  • Chasing the Fire (Hidden Cove Firefighters, #6)
  • The Fire Inside (Hidden Cove Firefighters, #7)
  • A Burning Passion (Hidden Cove Firefighters, #8; The Inheritance, #1)

“A firefighter’s job is hours of boredom, seconds of terror.” 5 likes