Start by marking “The 48 Laws Of Power, Concise Edition” as Want to Read:
The 48 Laws Of Power, Concise Edition

The 48 Laws Of Power, Concise Edition

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  558 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Published October 28th 1999 by Profile Books

To ask other readers questions about The 48 Laws Of Power, Concise Edition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 48 Laws Of Power, Concise Edition

This book does not have to be construed as a means to cruel and heartless power any more than Sun Tzu's The Art of War should be viewed as such. Are some power tactics manipulative? Yes. Does getting to the top sometimes involve taking an opportunity away from someone else? Yes. Is power necessarily a bad thing? No. Often, yes. Though this is not necessarily the case. Greene outlines a number of the aspects of power, giving concrete and interesting examples from history.

For those that say they
Now here is the thing about this book; it's mean, it's ruthless but it's all true.

At the very first pages I was like 'this writer right here teaches us to lie, and to manipulate people'. when I continued reading I found out that some of the laws he's talking about are already implemented around us by people we know.

Some skills are born with us, some are learned. this book is an eye opening to what goes around us and how people with certain skills get what they want.
The book usually uses the term
Arun Divakar
If you do not keep an open mind about the contents of this book, it will come across as selfish, brutal and downright ruthless. But all said and done it is very pragmatic a book. In here I found 48 ways of looking at what the author thought are principles that made and kept people in power.

Peel away the historic significances and the anecdotes and these are things you see around you : in corporate boardrooms, news networks and the political circus all carry these lessons through them. Robert Gr
Daniel Taylor
This is the first time I've read the 48 Laws -- in condensed form or otherwise. When the main book was on the bestseller list, I opened it up expecting a bunch of nice, typical self-help laws. What I got slapped in the face with was a harsh dose of reality. These laws are not "nice," but they do guide you in how to really gain power in life. I look forward to reading the larger work now.
Jom Samson
Some who have read this might say the author is ruthless, selfish, brutal and has no friends. I beg to differ. He simply put into words what most of us fear or hate the most, the truth. He never sugarcoated anything, hence the harshness.

I am not a sucker for anecdotes, but I like how he enforced his ideas with them. While most of them are easy to grasp, some takes a re-read or two to correlate with the law spoken of. Again, it must have been the dyslexic in me.

Two things, though: One, as brilli
Tim Pendry

This a companion piece to the Joost Elffers book on seduction reviewed earlier [ ] but it is about power rather than sex and is a concise version.

It is interesting as far as it goes and is mostly (like the book on seduction) cynical common sense about human nature and its relationship, in this case, to authority and power.

Much of it derives from anecdotes from pre-modern history although, of course, our world (though not human nature) has changed a great
No Remorse
Mandatory reading in my opinion.

"Everything must appear civilized, decent, democratic, and fair. But if we play by those rules too strictly, if we take them too literally, we are crushed by those around us who are not so foolish." - Robert Greene (The Concise 48 Laws of Power, preface)

"Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good." - Niccolò Machiavelli

"Men are more ready to repay an injury than a benefit, because gratitude is a burde
Sharwari Kulkarni
You can't even think the way things work! 100% political guide. Must read for everyone!
Well, this book is not for everyone for sure! It will sure give you a new way of dealing with people in order to grasp power and dominance over others. The advices may seem a bit harsh however very necessary in this modern word. Be ready for it to go against your biblical views and practices, this is not your turn the other cheek book it more of an eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth book. I found it to be well written. I would love to disagree with the tactics but if it's power your hear to obtai ...more
Hadir Elrefaee
كتاب غير اخلاقى بالمره!!
Had great anecdotes
Edwin Onaghise
An amazing book, i'm considering buying the full version. Although this is a great and well written book, it's not for the weak minded or the uncritical thinker. When reading this book you must be able to discern what can relate to you or help you as taking everything written to literal could make you a very paranoid person as i've seen in some people who have read this book. Aforementioned this book is an amazing read so have a gander.

48 Laws of power is a book about power, control, and manipulation. It teaches you ways to gain power through Robert Greene secrets of power manipulation. Also gives examples of the laws and how to use the laws. Hell tell you the offence and defense of each law. He also give real life situations with people with power that has power, how they felled at the law and how they succeed at the law.

48 laws of power is a grea
The 48 Laws of Power was a fascinating read and I'm now thinking of buying the full edition as well to learn more about the historical research, which for me was the most interesting part. I advise all readers not to treat this book as a guide to their lives. It goes without saying that foolishly and blindly following Greene's advise will get you in trouble most of the time. Not all laws are applicable to modern life any more and most of them can be adapted to milder versions. Another way to get ...more
I kind of got where the author was going with this, but then I'd come across shit like this:
Law 37 Create compelling spectacles
'Striking imagery and grand symbolic gestures create the aura of power - everyone responds to them. Stage spectacles for those around you, then full of arresting visuals and radiant symbols that heighten your presence. Dazzled by appearances, no one will notice what you are really doing' Oh really? A few other questionable laws here, including 'Law 7: Get others to do t
Mohamed Abd l Nasser
Leave Behind Religion,Morals,anything of Value..THe only Value u cherish is getting what u want..

As Much as the Author Understands Human's Mentality as Much as he MISSUSES IT..
Morals stand above all..thats my Own Opinion
well, 2 stars not bec the book is mean ( it is for sure) , but bec i didnt rly feel it is saying sth new.
I gave it 2 stars not 1 bec i found the stories/quotes in it's margin somehow useful.
I certainly dont recommend it, it is a waste of time.
Ibrahim Barakat
كتاب جميل يخبرك با 48 طريقة استخدمة في التاريخ للتحايل ولاسيطره ولامساك بزمام الامور .

النظره له يجب ان يكون ايجابي للتوخي الحذر ومعرفة بعض السلوكيات التي تدور من حولك وتتفادها .

انتبه لا تطبق ما تقرءة في هذا الكتاب على البشر من حولك
Do you want to be an evil mastermind? The person who controls everything out of the shadows with gimps that do the dirty work for you? Do you like to manipulate, deceive and wreck your enemies and everyone who doesn't serve you well?
Then this guide is for you! Learn how you can be mean, adored, feared, wise and mighty.

Seriously, at first I thought this is just another motivational guide, but right the first law shows you this is partly serious, partly cynical. It is honest though, but do you rea
Ben Craik
In addition to assembling a collection of decidedly immoral precepts, the author has managed to contradict himself in a number of places.
I couldn't in all honesty read past the 5th law. The perspective from which this book approaches life, and advises you on how to gain power in it, is so destructive and dark on many levels that I chose not to continue reading. I give this book credit for two things: first of all, being written in a very intriguing way (which made me hesitant whether or not I should continue reading, because on the one hand the style kept me interested and curious yet on the other hand the content made me sad for ...more
Totally awesome book with good advice to use and/or watch out for in business as well as personal life. A must read!
Dev Ediriweera
Scary stuff.Shouldnt fall into the wrong hands.Soo easy to misuse, easy to ruin ur life
This is a very interesting book that has taken manipulation to an art form. I was going through a rough time at work and this helped me immensely. Even if you don't employ the tactics yourself, it allows you to recognise them being played out in front of you or to you. Some of them are ruthless and I would have difficulty undertaking them but most of them are good sense with interesting historical figures and stories to back up the tactics. This is a keeper for me. I am going to look at it every ...more
This is by far the best book I've ever read. The lessons learnt here are One of a kind. The book is extremly well - researched and well-written. TIP: As this book doesn't provide practical everyday modern examples, you have to keep in mind that the laws are NOT contradictory, they just don't apply at the same time or in the same situation. CONTEXT. Also, If you are a moral person or one with lots of feelings, don't hate this book because you're a pussy. For there to be Winners, there has to be l ...more
The author offers you 48 ready made tips (laws) to cunningly, ruthlessly and unscrupulously scheme and manipulate your way to power in corporate, political or social settings.
Though I don't agree with most of the laws described in this book, I cannot deny the fact that this book is fairly well written and illustrated with examples, stories and apt quotations, though they are not very contemporary.
More details about this book at
Some laws in this book seem cunning, but we can take them as defensive methods from others. Some laws are good. Some laws are awesome. I really liked the 'Human Psychology' related points in every chapter, they very very true.....One should read this book multiple can take good points from this book at many situations of your can use some of them to deceive others or you can use them for +ve reasons. A must twice read....
Reema Al-Medaires
Got my hands on the book of the Devil, or so they call it.

To agree or not agree with the Laws is definitely not the case in here. My five stars rating is based on how damn realistic the book was. Moral, Immoral. At the very end it can teach you a thing or two about life in general. Take it or leave it. It's just that simple.

Tina Cousins
An absolutely wonderful and insightful read, recommended to anyone who wants to get their way in life.
Jona Oboza
The book does not provoke the evil in you. It teaches you to strategize towards success, implying power is a tool we all need to master carefully, harness and use wisely. Evil is when we abuse power, exploit it. Learn the difference, better yet read again.
  • Persuasion: The Art of Influencing People
  • 50 Secrets of the World's Longest Living People
  • Personal Power
  • Negotiation (Harvard Business Essentials)
  • Managing Oneself
  • 50 Success Classics: Winning Wisdom for Work & Life from 50 Landmark Books
  • The Insanity of Normality: Toward Understanding Human Destructiveness
  • Discovering Your Soul Signature: A 33-Day Path to Purpose, Passion & Joy
  • The Issue at Hand:  Essays on Buddhist Mindfulness Practice
  • Do Less, Achieve More: Discover the Hidden Power of Giving In
  • The Rules of Management: A Definitive Code for Managerial Success
  • The Power of Simplicity
  • The Power of Intuition: How to Use Your Gut Feelings to Make Better Decisions at Work
  • Wheels for the World: Henry Ford, His Company, and a Century of Progress
  • Introducing Machiavelli (Introducing...(Totem))
  • Palmistry: The Language of the Hand
  • The Leadership Moment: Nine True Stories of Triumph and Disaster and Their Lessons for Us All
  • Impact: Great Leadership Changes Everything
There is more than one author by this name on Goodreads.

Best-selling author and public speaker, Robert Greene was born in Los Angeles. He attended U.C. California at Berkeley and the University of Wisconsin at Madison, where he received a degree in classical studies. He has worked in New York as an editor and writer at several magazines, including Esquire; and in Hollywood as a story developer and
More about Robert Greene...
The 48 Laws of Power The Art of Seduction Mastery The 33 Strategies of War Interviews with the Masters: A Companion to Robert Greene's Mastery

“Quien pretende ser bueno en todo momento, está destinado a la perdición en medio del enorme número de quienes no lo son”.” 0 likes
“Los hombres son más prestos a devolver un agravio que un favor, porque la gratitud es una carga y la venganza un placer. TÁCITO, ca. 55-120 d.C.” 0 likes