Start by marking “Realms Unreel” as Want to Read:
Realms Unreel

Realms Unreel

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  167 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Realms Unreel is a young adult cyberpunk fantasy that readers call "the perfect escape!"

Emmie Bridges, the youngest child in a family of inventors, is a talented creator of virtual worlds and a prodigy in the field of augmented reality. When Tomo Yoshimoto, the world's pre-eminent virtual reality designer, invites her to become his apprentice, Emmie cannot believe her good
Published (first published November 18th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Realms Unreel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Realms Unreel

Ruby  Tombstone [With A Vengeance]
May 12, 2012 Ruby Tombstone [With A Vengeance] rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who don't really like to read
Recommended to Ruby by: GoodReads. You got me again.
Let's get something straight: This is a low 3 star rating from me. It's a pleasant enough waiting room e-book, but "mostly harmless" is about the best thing I can say.

There's nothing offensive or crazy making about it, but that's part of the problem. The author seems to have taken a half-decent story and tailored it for a YA audience by thoroughly purging it of anything than might have potentially evoked any kind of parental outrage...... leaving nothing to prompt even the mildest emotional resp
Hi I'm Bob
They have made a travesty of a great mystery, and in so doing even they have forgotten the truth. All who live possess eternal life, and few would trade it for an immortal body, if they truly understood what it is to be alive.

I really loved this book. I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but I knew the premise sounded really cool. If I'd started out with a better understanding of what this book was about, I might not even have read it and I would have missed out big time. Techie sci-fi stuff isn'
Jolie
I don't remember how I came across this book; it was recommended to me from either this site or Amazon. Once I settled into the story, it captured my attention and I was eager to see where it led. The conclusion I thought wrapped up pretty quick, but it was noted a follow-up is coming. I look forward to the continuation of the story.
Heather
It started off a little slow and hard to follow but it all became clear the further you read. Eventually is grabs you and won't let go. It was SUCH a good book. I can't wait to find out what happens next!
Adam
Overall Realms Unreel is an enjoyable read. In particular the characters are well-crafted and memorable and the world/universe is created with a blend of sci-fi and fantasy that while perhaps not completely unique is still certainly fun and well-executed.

That said, most of the criticisms I see people making in other reviews are valid. Specifically:

1. In a lot of ways, the characters/content seems somewhat juvenile and/or like the author was trying to avoid having anything that could possibly be
Parthena
I tend to love storylines that blend what appear to be counter-intuitive or "contradictory" things; in this case, I really enjoyed the merging of high-tech virtual reality and technology of the near-distant future, with ancient mythology and the dreamy "immortal realm."

The author really does a good job of making you care about the characters and their progress. There were some twists near the end I definitely didn't expect (which was good).

There were so many intriguing concepts in this novel I h
Mendhak
Unique concept, made for an interesting storyline involving two very different entities. That's the best way i can put it, as it's hard to describe exactly what this is. It's mythology, science fiction, fantasy, history and drama. I'd be hard pressed to put this in just one category, instead it's a blend of all of them.

The thing I liked most, and am particular about, is computers and technology in books. I liked that the author did her research or is familiar with computers enough to make the te
Christian
Realms Unreel is an outstanding book that debuts for the first time a lot of things which we may take for granted in future literature. One thing is the integration of and immersion in augmented reality. Oh, a few books have addressed this, but probably not in as realistic or meaningful way. This stuff is changing our lives and Realms Unreel shows us ways it may continue to do so. For another, the relationship between the two main characters is hardly cookie cutter. It both troubles and inspires ...more
Tara
I don't remember when I bought this but it was fairly entertaining.

The beginning is a little confusing and slow but it does pick up in the end. I think if a second book was produced I would read it to see how the author's style progresses with time.
Timmy
Audrey does a fantastic job setting up a futuristic world where virtual reality is an everyday norm. She describes the technology so well that at no point are you confused with what she is talking about. With that said, the virtual reality barely had a point in the story, despite taking up a vast majority of the book. Things that truly needed to be explained went without explanation. This led to the conclusion of the story feeling very rushed. I understand that it is difficult to write a story t ...more
Rose
I'm not sure what just happened to me. This book was not AT ALL what I was expecting. It was recommended to me by Goodreads,and as far as this website is concerned all I read is YA trashy/distopian/fantasy. Realms Unreel is not that. This book demands an intense imagination, because if you can't satisfactorily produce amazing images in your head a lot of this won't translate. Also, I'm sure WOW players and MMRPG players will grasp more of what happened in this book than I did. I won't say more t ...more
Nicole G.
This was okay. The blend of near-future and mythology is interesting in concept, but it didn't hang together well for me. It seemed like it took forever to get to the point, and then it was a downhill rush to the end. Which wasn't really an end, as, of course, it's part one in a series. (Is anything a stand-alone book, movie, et cetera, anymore?) The whole book left me feeling rather flat.
Cory
I really enjoyed this one. The story was really interesting with some cool bits of technology intertwined throughout every aspect of the story. The only thing that I didn't overly like was the main character. The author did a decent job of developing her, however the personality of the character was not someone I would enjoy being around in real life.
Rdslaman
A beautiful, imaginative novel. It is the beginning of a long story really of the spiritual connection people have with each other and the ability for it to survive across any dimension. This novel told that story through a very... sci-fi? setting. I very much hope she publishes a sequel.
Gus Alameda

Interesting concept but not particularly well developed (or perhaps it was the lack of explanation of the universe?). I really did not find myself engaged by these characters or their plight. The characters all seemed flat. I really would not recommend this to anyone.
Jason
this book suuuuuucked. maybe it was okay for teen fiction, but i'm pretty sure it was trying to be a work of moderately high speculative scifi. at that, it didn't succeed really at all as it didn't introduce anything new or particularly interesting.
Scott
Don't remember how I got this book; it was just on my Kindle. Read most of it. It's ok. Teen fantasy/scifi, really. Pretty vanilla.
Bruce
Really interesting fantasy/sci-fi that doesn't rehash the same old stuff. Compelling characters, good pacing. Well worth picking up.
Emily Miller
I'm sorry, but I just could not get into this book. I gave it many chapters, but it never came together for me.
Ben Acton
Very unique storyline/concept. I was thoroughly engrossed by it. Cannot wait until the second book comes out!
May 20, 2012 Sarah added it
Shelves: fantasy
Quick read, cool blend of ancient mythology and new technology.
Doreen Dalesandro
Dec 21, 2012 Doreen Dalesandro marked it as to-read
Kindle freebie, 12/21/12
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Joshua
Joshua marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Brad Davis
Brad Davis is currently reading it
Feb 22, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
  • Shadow Stations: Unseen
  • Amulet (DragonBlade #1)
  • Towards Yesterday
  • Druid's Bane (The Arkaelyon Chronicles, #1)
  • The God In The Clear Rock
  • White Shores (The Vitalis Chronicles. #1)
  • Freedom Incorporated
  • The Little Universe
  • Scriber
  • There Goes the Galaxy
  • Winter's Warrior: Mark of the Monarch (Winter's Saga, #4)
  • Socialpunk (Socialpunk, #1)
  • The Ware Tetralogy (Ware, #1-4)
  • Stars Rain Down (Biotech Legacy, #1)
  • Bad Radio (Emergent Earth, #1)
  • The Wizard of Time (Wizard of Time, #1)
  • If at First . . . (Short Story)
  • Gabriel's Redemption
I was a bookworm as a kid and always dreamed of writing the kinds of books that I would love to read. I studied engineering in college because I thought it was the next best thing to magic. Now I live and work as a UI/UX designer in the San Francisco Bay Area, immersed in the startup culture that produces many of the real-world wizards that inspired my debut novel, Realms Unreel.

I'm currently coll
More about Audrey Auden...
Realms Unreal

“All who live possess eternal life, and few would trade it for an immortal body, if they truly understood what it is to be alive.” 6 likes